Hounds and damage from Nightbane (50%, 100% or 200%)

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

nakorn66
D-Bee

Hounds and damage from Nightbane (50%, 100% or 200%)

Unread post by nakorn66 »

Hi all!

Question please, currently, there are 3 possibilities being discussed in my group of how a Hound would take damage from Nightbane.

1. Hounds take 50% normal attacks from Nightbanes and take 200% from their talents and any magic.
2. Hounds take 100% normal attacks from Nightbanes and take 200% from their talents and any magic.
3. Hounds take 200% from all attacks from Nightbanes.

Is there anywhere in the book or in forum that Palladium came out to confirm this please?
Thank you for all comments :-D
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Hounds and damage from Nightbane (50%, 100% or 200%)

Unread post by The Beast »

I'd go with #2, but I don't have any official source to back that up yet.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

nakorn66 wrote:Hi all!

Question please, currently, there are 3 possibilities being discussed in my group of how a Hound would take damage from Nightbane.

1. Hounds take 50% normal attacks from Nightbanes and take 200% from their talents and any magic.
2. Hounds take 100% normal attacks from Nightbanes and take 200% from their talents and any magic.

Is there anywhere in the book or in forum that Palladium came out to confirm this please?

200% from talents and magic and attacks with unarmed or natural weapons, but no bonus for guns or artifical weapons (Gun limbs and the like still count).
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

After reading the text Hounds, Hound Master, Hunters and Great Hounds....if taking the literal words of the text then it would #1 with the hounds taking only 50% from NS/NB bare handed attacks & x2 SD from Magic and talents.

However, I would happen to guess that most GMs equate being SNat. as magical in nature. And as such their attacks are at least going to over come the limited invulnerability.

(note: SNPS equivalent PS's [the Titan Juicers' from JU being an example of non-SN/non-magical SNPS] will not overcome this limited invulnerability.)

In My games it would be #2 or #3 depending. With the caveat that melee attacks from the NS have to be bare handed to overcome the LI of the Hounds and others hound likes.

Side Note: In the 1st printing of the Nightlands book the Great Hounds are not listed at having the other hounds' LI but with the same venerabilities.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

After reading the text Hounds, Hound Master, Hunters and Great Hounds....if taking the literal words of the text then it would #1 with the hounds taking only 50% from NS/NB bare handed attacks & x2 SD from Magic and talents.

However, I would happen to guess that most GMs equate being SNat. as magical in nature. And as such their attacks are at least going to over come the limited invulnerability.

(note: SNPS equivalent PS's [the Titan Juicers' from JU being an example of non-SN/non-magical SNPS] will not overcome this limited invulnerability.)

In My games it would be #2 or #3 depending. With the caveat that melee attacks from the NS have to be bare handed to overcome the LI of the Hounds and others hound likes.

Side Note: In the 1st printing of the Nightlands book the Great Hounds are not listed at having the other hounds' LI but with the same venerabilities.

I agree with this assessment, but there is another possible alternative:

According to page 162 of Dark Conversions (Rifts Conversion Book 3), Hounds take triple (300%) damage from a Nightbane's unarmed attacks. According to p. 131 of the same book, Hounds still only take double (200%) damage from Nightbane Talents and magic, and, curiously enough, normal (100%) damage from spells cast by non-Nightbane. Obviously, these rules are probably intended to apply only when combining Nightbane with Rifts, but some Nightbane GMs may wish to use them.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Ed
Adventurer

Unread post by Ed »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

200% from talents and magic and attacks with unarmed or natural weapons, but no bonus for guns or artifical weapons (Gun limbs and the like still count).

That sounds right.
Ed
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Ed wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

That sounds right.

That matches my interpretation and execution as well.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Glistam wrote:
Ed wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

That sounds right.

That matches my interpretation and execution as well.

Tis also how I run it.
Lord Loppage
D-Bee

Unread post by Lord Loppage »

I actually go with #2 in my game. That way the Hounds and such are a real threat to be feared ( especially if low on ppe!
Starveined
D-Bee

Unread post by Starveined »

I believe that the damage is amplified in Dark Conversions for Rift's Earth ? Given its greater Magical Influence. I could be wrong. I also tend to use #2 when I am running games.

Return to “Nightbane®”