We Gots The Skills

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: We Gots The Skills

Unread post by taalismn »

abe wrote:[]
along these lines how about loom-making?
just not sure how to make this a skill, that's all.

It would be a combination of existing skills: Carpentry for the wooden parts, Blacksmithing for the metal parts. Mechanical Engineering if you were designing one from scratch.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

ok then.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

Pole Vaulting(Physical)
This is skill in the athletic practice of using flexible poles to lift oneself up and over high obstacles. Normally practiced as part of track and field competition, it can also find use in getting over walls or to the rooftops of structures quickly, and crossing gaps and chasms(provided one has a long enough pole). Practitioners are trained in upper-body strength, flexibility of body form, proper body positioning(especially at the top of a vault), and proper placement of the pole for best results. Pole vaulters also are trained to identify proper and appropriate equipment with regards to properly sturdy and flexible poles.
(Note: the current record in Men’s Pole Vault is 6.16m....that’s over 18 ft. Women, at 5.06 m)
Base Skill: 60 % + 5% per level of experience, plus any bonuses from exceptional P.P..
Bonuses: +5% to sense of balance, +1 P.S., +1 P.P. +1 to Roll with a Fall
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

taalismn wrote:Pole Vaulting(Physical)
This is skill in the athletic practice of using flexible poles to lift oneself up and over high obstacles. Normally practiced as part of track and field competition, it can also find use in getting over walls or to the rooftops of structures quickly, and crossing gaps and chasms(provided one has a long enough pole). Practitioners are trained in upper-body strength, flexibility of body form, proper body positioning(especially at the top of a vault), and proper placement of the pole for best results. Pole vaulters also are trained to identify proper and appropriate equipment with regards to properly sturdy and flexible poles.
(Note: the current record in Men’s Pole Vault is 6.16m....that’s over 18 ft. Women, at 5.06 m)
Base Skill: 60 % + 5% per level of experience, plus any bonuses from exceptional P.P..
Bonuses: +5% to sense of balance, +1 P.S., +1 P.P. +1 to Roll with a Fall
Wouldn't you need to be in fairly good shape to do this, so a prerequisite of the Athletics skill might not be out of the question. But then Acrobatics and Gymnastics have no such prerequisite, so I may be mistaken about this needing one.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Wouldn't you need to be in fairly good shape to do this, so a prerequisite of the Athletics skill might not be out of the question. But then Acrobatics and Gymnastics have no such prerequisite, so I may be mistaken about this needing one.

If you're like me, you'd need to be in good shape just to climb three flights of stairs...yet I do it anyways. I'm not an athlete, so your suggestion sounds good, but on the other hand, I don't doubt that somewhere in the world young stringbeans with good grip strength and a fair amount of courage are vaulting creeks and over fences without a whole lot of prerequisite athletics training.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

If you're like me, you'd need to be in good shape just to climb three flights of stairs...yet I do it anyways. I'm not an athlete, so your suggestion sounds good, but on the other hand, I don't doubt that somewhere in the world young stringbeans with good grip strength and a fair amount of courage are vaulting creeks and over fences without a whole lot of prerequisite athletics training.
Fair enough.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What are the best Space skills for Alien characters?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gaby wrote:What are the best Space skills for Alien characters?
The Skills listed in the AUGG. Most of the skills listed elsewhere are not for spacefaring campaigns.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

speed talking-basically you can talk REALLY fast!
base chance of success is 12+p.d. +4% per level
this skill is just for fun though if you can think of a use for it I'm all ears!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

abe wrote:speed talking-basically you can talk REALLY fast!
base chance of success is 12+p.d. +4% per level
this skill is just for fun though if you can think of a use for it I'm all ears!

I'd consider this to come under the existing skill of Performance, because if you're speaking with the expectation of being UNDERSTOOD, it would come under Language, but if you're doing it for entertainment(and I suspect you came across video footage of guys speaking really fast) then it's Performance, as even professional auctioneers can get into trouble if they go so fast that they come across as spouting gibberish.

And 'p.d.'? Not sure what you mean by that. Clarify.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

sorry, I meant p.p or physical; dexterity.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

abe wrote:sorry, I meant p.p or physical; dexterity.

Use the Palladium term: Physical Prowess/P.P.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

ok, will do.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

Haste is not your friend in these things.
Clarity and relevance are.
You want to speak the same language and use the same terms as your audience.
You want to make a case for the usefulness of your spell/power/skill cleanly and precisely in the description.
You want to minimize the effort the reader has to spend trying to figure out what you mean. YOU supply the ideas and the imagination; the reader should only have to make minor suggestions or ask for point clarifications.
Don't be in a hurry to post; write, review, and revise. Take your time; the boards aren't going anywhere.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I am not sure how "Physical Prowess" comes into play with "Speed Talking". I would use the M.A. or Mental Affinity attribute.

Just my opinion is all.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
taalismn
Priest

NMI wrote:I am not sure how "Physical Prowess" comes into play with "Speed Talking". I would use the M.A. or Mental Affinity attribute.

Just my opinion is all.

I'd hazard that the belief was the physical agility to articulate speech at high speed without biting through your own tongue or choking on your own spit(or something suitably gruesome like that). Critical failure and you snap your own neck with your tongue wrapped around your throat.
Since no definite application was given, whether to communicate or entertain, tying it to M.A.(charm/intimidate) is up in the air.
Either way, I'd still consider it to be under the blanket skill of 'Performance' since 'Public Speaking' covers clear and articulate speech, delivered with confidence.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

*Contortionist(Physical)
Skill in the ability to relax muscles and twist joints beyond normal comfort tolerances. Contortionism teaches many of the same techniques as Escape Artist, but has more of a gymnastics bent to it; skilled contortionists can twist , bend, and squeeze themselves into seemingly agonizing positions without harm. Besides being able to squeeze through narrow openings, a well-practiced contortionist can seemingly compact themselves into small spaces or twist themselves into decidedly painful-looking configurations(like being able to bend one’s legs up behind their back and touch their forehead with their toes).
Base Requirement: Must have a P.P. of 13 or greater.
Base Skill: 30 % + 5% per level of experience. P.P. bonus numbers apply as percentages(so a P.P. 22 bonus of +4 counts as +4%).
A failed roll means the desired position is just too painful to attain or hold for long, and the contortionist snaps back to their regular posture.
Modifiers: +5% if a Meditation or Yoga skill is also taken, and another +5% the person can limber up or relax for 2d4 minutes beforehand.
Bonuses: +1 to Roll with Punch, Fall, or Impact
+5% to Spelunking
+10% to Escape Artist
+2 to Save Versus Pain, +4 if that pain is caused by dislocation of the limbs or twisting of the body.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:*Contortionist(Physical)
Skill in the ability to relax muscles and twist joints beyond normal comfort tolerances. Contortionism teaches many of the same techniques as Escape Artist, but has more of a gymnastics bent to it; skilled contortionists can twist , bend, and squeeze themselves into seemingly agonizing positions without harm. Besides being able to squeeze through narrow openings, a well-practiced contortionist can seemingly compact themselves into small spaces or twist themselves into decidedly painful-looking configurations(like being able to bend one’s legs up behind their back and touch their forehead with their toes).
Base Requirement: Must have a P.P. of 13 or greater.
Base Skill: 30 % + 5% per level of experience. P.P. bonus numbers apply as percentages(so a P.P. 22 bonus of +4 counts as +4%).
A failed roll means the desired position is just too painful to attain or hold for long, and the contortionist snaps back to their regular posture.
Modifiers: +5% if a Meditation or Yoga skill is also taken, and another +5% the person can limber up or relax for 2d4 minutes beforehand.
Bonuses: +1 to Roll with Punch, Fall, or Impact
+5% to Spelunking
+10% to Escape Artist
+2 to Save Versus Pain, +4 if that pain is caused by dislocation of the limbs or twisting of the body.
Note that contortionists must use this skill regularly or else lose it. The joints eventually tighten up if the contortionist does not use the skill at least every couple of days, if not daily. Also, wouldn't they need to be doublejointed?
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[.
Note that contortionists must use this skill regularly or else lose it. The joints eventually tighten up if the contortionist does not use the skill at least every couple of days, if not daily. Also, wouldn't they need to be doublejointed?[/quote]

YAh, I'd considered that, but there isn't any hard Palladium stat-rule(percentage of occurring) for naturally occurring double-jointedness, there must be SOME contortion activities that can be performed without blatant mutation(what I can think of are the Eugenic Hero Creation tables and some of the Minor Superpowers).
But, since I've been informed that there's a similar skill that I was previously unaware of in a Rifter, it may all be a moot point. :-)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Note that contortionists must use this skill regularly or else lose it. The joints eventually tighten up if the contortionist does not use the skill at least every couple of days, if not daily. Also, wouldn't they need to be doublejointed?

YAh, I'd considered that, but there isn't any hard Palladium stat-rule(percentage of occurring) for naturally occurring double-jointedness, there must be SOME contortion activities that can be performed without blatant mutation(what I can think of are the Eugenic Hero Creation tables and some of the Minor Superpowers).
But, since I've been informed that there's a similar skill that I was previously unaware of in a Rifter, it may all be a moot point. :-)

Double Jointed has appears on several 'side-effects' tables, or similar. The one I know of is the HU2 Mutants Unusual Characteristics table.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

Wow, outflanked by mutation. :lol: I'm debating removing the original Contortionist post.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:Wow, outflanked by mutation. :lol: I'm debating removing the original Contortionist post.

I like it, and it is sufficiently different from what came before imho. I say let it stand.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

13eowulf wrote:
taalismn wrote:Wow, outflanked by mutation. :lol: I'm debating removing the original Contortionist post.

I like it, and it is sufficiently different from what came before imho. I say let it stand.
Agreed. Besides, I already posted it to the Black Vault Wiki.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

another skill just for fun
silluite cutting(sorry, I'm not sure how to spell it)
basically you can cut accurate silluites! base chance of success is 35 +p.p. + 6% per level.
fun huh?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:another skill just for fun
silluite cutting(sorry, I'm not sure how to spell it)
basically you can cut accurate silluites! base chance of success is 35 +p.p. + 6% per level.
fun huh?
I'm not sure what you even mean by "silhouette cutting". Epic Fail.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Maybe he means like in Peter Pan where you can cut someone apart from their shadow?
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
taalismn
Priest

Being able to handle scissors without slashing your wrists?

"I'm sorry, that looks nothing like my profile...and shouldn't you put some pressure on that?"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

see the skill of cutting pictures that are solid black in color & you come to the right conclusion.
taalismn
Priest

I'd say it comes under the general heading of Technical: Art, if anything at all. It's a basic aspect of other arts and crafts(handling scissors and freehand-cutting or trace-cutting a pattern), rather than something more sophisticated like origami, so I wouldn't classify it as a separate skill.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Not sure if this has been done before, but here goes nothing, a medical specialization, monster genitics
basically this is the study of genitics of non-sentient d-bees!
base chance of success is 34 +4 % per level.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

abe wrote:Not sure if this has been done before, but here goes nothing, a medical specialization, monster genitics
basically this is the study of genitics of non-sentient d-bees!
base chance of success is 34 +4 % per level.

Already a similar skill in existence - Aliens Unlimited: Galaxy Guide, page 204 - Xeno-Biology
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
taalismn
Priest

And just because something is a d-bee and isn't sentient, doesn't automatically make it a 'monster'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

True, however I couldn't think of a better name for the skill.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

For splicers how about bio-technology engerning!
This skill allows people to actually make bio-technology!
Base chance of success is 34 + IQ +6% per level.
Not sure if this has been done before though, if it has ever been done before I appologize in advance.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

abe wrote:For splicers how about bio-technology engerning!
This skill allows people to actually make bio-technology!
Base chance of success is 34 + IQ +6% per level.
Not sure if this has been done before though, if it has ever been done before I appologize in advance.

Abe, there's entire CHARACTER CLASSES devoted to engineering biotech. and part of the grimdark setting is that the real experts in coming up with new biotech creations do so by essentially giving up their humanity. Biotech of the Splicer type is NOT something you just whip up in a convenient kitchen sink. I also believe there are equivalent skills in After the Bomb and the Y2K game setting(for Eggheads). And finally there's Animal Husbandry and Breed Dogs for those wanting the old tried and true, if time-consuming gradual, means of breeding desired traits into animals.
Enjoy your new job at Ingen, and remember; lean FAR over the experiment pen.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Bartending (Mixology): Knowledge and skill in in proper preparing and presentation of (mostly alcoholic) beverages, including mixing or preparing a wide variety of cocktails, shots, and other such concoctions. A bartending roll failure means the beverage is not mixed or prepared properly (watered down, too much head, wrong proportions, or, in some layered and similar beverages, completely ruined). Base skill: 40%/35% +5% per level of experience. The first percentage is for knowledge of regarding a particular requested beverage, the second percentage is for preparation. This skills receives a +5% if Chemistry is also know, +5% if Brewing is also known. This skill also provides a +3 bonus to Perception when judging someone's age by their appearance, and +10% to recognizing forgery (or base 40%) applied only to fake IDs.

Bartending, Advanced (Flair Bartending): The trained skill of entertaining clientele, patrons, and/or audiences with with the exhibition of tricks, balancing, and manual manipulation of liquor bottles, cocktail shakers, and other bar tools, combined with mixing, preparing, and serving beverages. Prerequisites: This skill requires that one already has both the Bartending and Juggling skills. Base Skill: 20% +4% per level of experience. This skill receives a +5% bonus from palming, a +5% bonus from sleight-of-hand, and +1% bonus for every P.P. attribute point over 20 to a maximum of +10%. Stage Magicians gain a special +15% to this skill should they acquire it.

EDIT: These would fall under the Domestic skill category.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

Not so sure about the second one; I'd group it under the already existing Juggling skill; you just like/practice juggling with glass, and bowling down the bar counter isn't so far fetched from some of the sidereal tricks of professional jugglers.

Admittedly you beat me to Mixology, which I had finished, but apparently never posted, possibly because I thought it had already been done, or because I saw it as a subset of Cooking.

Compare and decide:

Mixology(Domestic)
Skill in the mixing and concoction of alcoholic drinks. Arguably a subset of the Cooking skill, Mixology teaches the properties, flavors, and characteristics of various alcoholic beverages and their accessories with regards to combining and serving. It also teaches a comprehensive knowledge of various cocktails and liqours. Taken twice for professional grade denotes professional bartender-qualification.
Base Skill: 35% + 5% per level of experience
Bonuses: +5% if the Chemistry skill is also taken, for concocting particularly exotic drinks through advanced processes(like chilling with liquid nitrogen or the like).

I rather like yours beter, although I'm a bit iffy on the 'Tell Age', but since the overall skill is 'Bartending', I'm inclined to let that one squeak by.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

I initially thought to just add a blurb about combining with the Juggling skill for flair bartending, but doing a bit of research, and watching some videos, it seems to me to go beyond juggling, the real skill level is almost stage magician with bartending being the 'gimmick', but since stage magician is a power category (or category of skills in some books), not a single skill that is partially why I went the way I did. The other reason is because 'day to day' flair bartending, and competition/featured performance flair bartending have differences, which would be represented by taking the additional skills of palming, performance, etc., or combining with the Stage Magician power category.

That said, an alternative way I thought about it would be 'Mixology' being one skill, and actual 'Bartending' being another, with taking Bartending a second time to get flair. This breakdown would have the drink knowledge/prep as the former, and then various tropes such as 'bartender is your therapist' and 'the bartender knows and hears everything' as the second, but it fell apart fast, so I went this way.

The 'tell age' aspect is there mainly to represent that this skill is a move towards a career, not as a 'second job' or the such. I have noticed a world of difference between career bartenders, and those who man the bar part time or while in school, etc.
Though it might be an idea to have the 'tell age' only be available if one takes the skill twice for pro level.

As for your version of Mixology it also works well. I will leave it to others to decide :)
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

Explained that way, it does seem to work, since you're investing three skill slots to be a really GOOD bartender...

But yeah, 'bartender psychology', IMHO, would be best handled by having a high MA that the character could apply to calming somebody down, assisted by application of drinks.
Because if the character actually has the Psychology skill and lacks MA (or good Perception), it could get ugly fast..."Have you maybe considered that all your problems stem from your constant denial that you still have issues regarding your mother?", or 'You're going to have to face it; you're a self-absorbed venal ******...."(roll to dodge).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

i was looking for a thread like this but when i didn't find one i made my own, i don't know HU specific details really so they were made over the years to reflect rifts and some are still works in progress (there was more too but i haven't found them all again yet) and of course some are now replaced by skills from the books that did not exist yet at the time i made them but kept them in the list anyway

some were to help boost the non physical stats like the physical skills often do for the physical ones

Domestic
Chess: 30%+5% per level
teaches the basic rules of chess such as how the pieces move (including tricks like castling) etc
(if selected twice the skill grants a +10% bonus, advanced strategy's and a +1 IQ)

Espionage
Assassination study:
desensitization to the pain of others, there is no desire to hurt a person just a lack of empathy which can be unsettling to people
+ME 1d4+1 , interrogation +10%, intimidate (but not trust) +10% or a base 20%, WP Concealed
requires hand-to-hand assassin

Military
War Games: simulated warfare either internally with a town or city's own milita/army or often as a practice event with other friendly cities/towns (or even merc companies) exposes people to the rigors of war in a controlled setting
+1 ME, +1 MA, +1 PE

Physical
Kama Sutra: this.. skill, can be learned from multiple sources, either an actual kama sutra, but often picked up from extensive viewing of pre-rift DVD's or magazines , or just experience, can seem suave and sure of themselves as a result
+1 MA, + 1 PP, +1 PE and a 55%+5% per level chance to please

(i'm sure hand to hand could probably fill a thread on it's own and i have misplaced the skills for each level of the following but i have them and some others written down ...somewhere lol)

Hand-to-hand: Brawler ( a system with little finesse and a lot of grappling/bone breaking)

Hand-to-hand: Point manipulation (focused on high strike bonuses, little damage, and pressure point striking)

Hand-to-hand: Gun Kata (...yes, i went there, but the name was just a place holder)

Hand-to-hand: HEMA (historical european martial arts)

hand-to-hand: capoeira

Rogue
Kama Sutra (same as physical skill)

Science
Extensive research: a willingness to devote extra time to study and refine their skills
+1 IQ, +10% to any skill Requires literacy

Field Research: use and observation in a practical setting provide a +10% bonus to any skill, +1 to any attribute (except PB)
can not be selected until at least level 2

Metallurgy: at the basic level the skill allows someone to run and operate a foundry, create/identify alloy's, and shape metal 36%+4% per level +can handle greater temperatures up to 40 degrees C without feeling uncomfortable
requires Chemistry, and basic math
-----------at more advanced levels they can create MD alloys, reduce the thickness and weight of MD slabs by up to 20% with no reduction in MDC, can smelt "full size" MDC slabs using cheap SDC materials for 25% with no ill effect
requires chemistry analytical, literacy

Geology: the study of rocks, minerals, and land formations
identify rocks/gems 40%+5% per level
locate specific minerals and gems by studying the topography 35%+ 3% per level
gives + 10% land navigation +5% mining (before official mining skill)
requires literacy

Technical
Farming: basic knowledge of seasons, what crops to plant and when so they will be ready by harvest time, understanding of the benefits to crop rotation, acreage of land needed per person, irrigation and pest control (grants the skill to use pesticides but to make them requires chemistry)
35%+5% per level +10% preserve food, + 5% skin and prepare animal hides

Under sea Farming: basic understanding of which plant and animal life is edible, spawning seasons, how to identify and treat certain parasites (of fish/marine animals only) this skill focuses more on maintaining the eco system as intact as possible since any inhabitants of an under sea biosphere ar limited in other options +40%+5% per level +10% preserve food +5% pilot submersible vehicle

Basic Study/ General Knowledge: someone who learns a little of everything without specializing in one subject
+1 IQ, +1 ME, +1% to all skills

Field research (same as science skill)

Mining: general mining knowledge, mine safety both archaic and modern (bringing a canary into the mine, but also seismology readers etc) how to pace ones self while swinging a heavy pick axe, how to look for signs of a collapse, and how to follow an ore vein/identify more precious materials in raw form 46%+4% per level +1d4 PS, +1d4 PE, -1d6 HP (yes negative for the health conditions)

Gem Cutting: the skill required to size, cut, buff, polish, facet, and set gems into jewelry, a good clear cut can increase the gem value by 2d4 x 100 credits, a failure means a chip or bad cut, to fix it requires recutting reducing the size and value of the gem by 5% the skill is also used to make fine jewelry like rings, necklaces etc, out of precious metals
base skill 20%+4% per level +1 ME, +1 PP

Lore: Human, this works just like any lore but is restricted to being selected by non human races

Lore: Modern History (golden age) can identify pre-rift items and the basic understanding of their function (they may not know how to operate it but will have an idea of what it was used for) as well as general knowledge of what life was like and what people did (a golden age buff can often find themselves on retainer to regal important people with stories of the golden age, or to authenticate artifacts, or to try locating golden age stockpiles)
base skill 30%+5% per lv

WP
WP: Concealed, training and use in a variety of concealed weapons (IE weapons that do not seem to be weapons), umbrella guns, razor sharp video disc's, rings with poison tipped needles etc that focus more on stealth than attacking outright

without this skill concealed weapons are at a -3 to strike due to their odd nature, lack of gun sights, sometimes poor balance
etc with the WP the negative is removed and gets the following bonus
+5% prowl +1 initiative if the first attack is with a concealed weapon (even in face to face combat it is not expected)
+3 to strike at lv 3
+1 parry at lv 5
can use parry, dodge, or strike bonus (whichever is higher) to roll a strike at lv 8
+2 entangle (can attack as a free action once per melee, if a prowl check is made the attack goes un-noticed) lv 10
+1 strike, +1 parry at lv 12
+1 parry reduce prowl penalties if any by 10%
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
taalismn
Priest

"Assassination Study" would be best served these days by dropping the WP Concealed, as it effectively bundles two skills as one. I approve of the rest, given that I created a 'desensitization' skill (though for hardening people against the supernatural). Still, I can see this skill as something like that forcefed to the protagonist in 'Old Boy'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

I disagree with the no bonus to trust.
A "good" assassin should be able to get close to his target without raising any flags. Training in The ability of how to make your target trust you would be part of the program I would think.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

PSI-Lence wrote:
Hand-to-hand: Point manipulation (focused on high strike bonuses, little damage, and pressure point striking)
The Martial Art From of this is in N&S

Hand-to-hand: Gun Kata (...yes, i went there, but the name was just a place holder)
The Martial Art From of this is in Rifter 7

The Martial Art From of this is in Rifter 3 or 7.

Science
Extensive research: a willingness to devote extra time to study and refine their skills
This is covered by the Research skill and by the rifter's Go Mental article.

Metallurgy: at the basic level the skill allows someone to run and operate a foundry, create/identify alloy's, and shape metal 36%+4% per level +can handle greater temperatures up to 40 degrees C without feeling uncomfortable
-----------at more advanced levels they can create MD alloys, reduce the thickness and weight of MD slabs by up to 20% with no reduction in MDC, can smelt "full size" MDC slabs using cheap SDC materials for 25% with no ill effect
This is covered by the Hardware and ancient weapons masters power cats, template skills.

Basic Study/ General Knowledge: someone who learns a little of everything without specializing in one subject
Covered by the Go Mental Rifter article

Lore: Human, this works just like any lore but is restricted to being selected by non human races.
Covered by Lore: Aliens when taken by extraterrestrials.

Lore: Modern History (golden age) can identify pre-rift items and the basic understanding of their function (they may not know how to operate it but will have an idea of what it was used for) as well as general knowledge of what life was like and what people did (a golden age buff can often find themselves on retainer to regal important people with stories of the golden age, or to authenticate artifacts, or to try locating golden age stockpiles)
base skill 30%+5% per lv
Does not apply to the HU setting but would apply to both Rifts and Chaos Earth.

WP
WP: Concealed, training and use in a variety of concealed weapons (IE weapons that do not seem to be weapons), umbrella guns, razor sharp video disc's, rings with poison tipped needles etc that focus more on stealth than attacking outright

without this skill concealed weapons are at a -3 to strike due to their odd nature, lack of gun sights, sometimes poor balance
+5% prowl +1 initiative if the first attack is with a concealed weapon (even in face to face combat it is not expected)
+3 to strike at lv 3
+1 parry at lv 5
can use parry, dodge, or strike bonus (whichever is higher) to roll a strike at lv 8
+2 entangle (can attack as a free action once per melee, if a prowl check is made the attack goes un-noticed) lv 10
This should only negate any negatives for using "Gadget" Weapons that hardware chars would make. And any bonuses should be gained from the WP the weapons are otherwise associated with.

My inserted comments are highlighted blue.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

taalismn wrote:"Assassination Study" would be best served these days by dropping the WP Concealed, as it effectively bundles two skills as one. I approve of the rest, given that I created a 'desensitization' skill (though for hardening people against the supernatural). Still, I can see this skill as something like that forcefed to the protagonist in 'Old Boy'.

i think i probably did that one around juicer uprising which also adds WP deadball, if you took deadball physical skill and it seemed likely to be included to me

i re-posted the list of skills here before reading through all of them i do see some have already been done too but i figured i'd leave the post up (fyi a few pages back you posted yo-yo and you were right, it was posted before, back on page 3 4th from the bottom lol, but multiple takes on skills are good)

Damian Magecraft wrote:I disagree with the no bonus to trust.
A "good" assassin should be able to get close to his target without raising any flags. Training in The ability of how to make your target trust you would be part of the program I would think.

true, but i was going more for the "gives off a creepy vibe" type thing but really both bonuses would work fine...hmm thinking of creepy vibe...

Medical:
Mortician: gives the skills to prepare a body for burial, such as draining the blood and replacing it with formaldehyde, dressing the body without the clothing looking wrong, natural make up skills to make them look more 'alive', methods to prevent a 'sunken look' 40%+5% per level +5% to any medical skills +5% sewing (-10% for CSI/forensics to identify a body as being dressed after death if a mortician skill check is made)

Taxidermy: the method which animals are preserved for trophy keeping, how to stuff the animal, select the proper glass eyes, and how to mount or pose it naturally 35%+5% per level +5% sewing +5% art

Rogue:
Homeopathy: a specialized form of a conman, homeopathy entails the selling of treatments for various types of illnesses, both physical and mental, someone skilled in homeopathy may recognize the symptoms of an illness enough to make a visual diagnosis of real illnesses (for recognizing sick people that are not forthcoming about it), but can also fast talk people into thinking they are sick and that common aches and pains are symptoms of something worse.
mostly just a placebo some will use "potions" that can temporarily alleviate various symptoms (sugar and caffeine to alleviate fatigue, alcohol for minor aches and depression etc)
25%+5% per level +5% streetwise +5% ID undercover agent +5% for any (medical diagnosis only)
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
taalismn
Priest

Damian Magecraft wrote:I disagree with the no bonus to trust.

Seduction, Public Speaking, Performance, and a naturally high MA should help in this regard.
Heck, the whole original basis of Ludicrous Magery was get close to the target...and that can be very hard if your target has a natural(and understandable) fear of clowns....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
PSI-Lence wrote:

Science

This is covered by the Hardware and ancient weapons masters power cats, template skills.

Lore: Human, this works just like any lore but is restricted to being selected by non human races.

base skill 30%+5% per lv

WP

+3 to strike at lv 3
+1 parry at lv 5
This should only negate any negatives for using "Gadget" Weapons that hardware chars would make. And any bonuses should be gained from the WP the weapons are otherwise associated with.

no idea where half of that comes from ("ancient weapons masters power cats"? should that be cast or actually cats?) but none of the skills have anything but rifts in mind, but for some reason the home made skills are posted here and not a general thread so "template skills" (whatever they are) are disregarded by me
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

power cat.= power category.
I am spelling challenged and the word category is a trouble spot so I shorten it.

This is in the Heros Unlimited forum.

In PFRPG, metallurgy would be covered by the blacksmithing skill and in rifts it would might be covered by the mechanical engineering skill.*shrugs*
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

For those that have a good sense of smell how about smell indeification?
it could add 25% to indifying smells, maybe?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

abe wrote:For those that have a good sense of smell how about smell indeification?
it could add 25% to indifying smells, maybe?

I would just go with what is stated in the exceptional sense of smell power cut in half, and would be applicable to cooking and other skills that having a good sense of smell is a good thing.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
PSI-Lence wrote:

Science

base skill 30%+5% per lv

WP

+3 to strike at lv 3
+1 parry at lv 5

Just to add:
Chess: Rifter 19, ‘Go Mental’ article (a ‘’megaversal” article) has Strategy Games “such as Chess, Backgammon, Go, etc.”

Hand-to-hand: Point manipulation: An Espionage skill "Vital Points" and a "WP Vital Points" both already exist as skills. (Splicers and Rifter 12 respectively)

Geology: This skill already exists in Rifts Manhunter and Rifter 19

Farming: Lore: Farming exists in PFRPG Book 3

Under sea Farming: Undersea Farming exists in Rifts World Book 32

Mining: Mining exists in Mutants in Orbit, BTS2, Chaos Earth, RUE, Rifts GMG, and Dead Reign

Lore: Modern History: History: Pre Rifts and History: Earth are both skills that already exist.

Additionally Rifter 12 has further Assassin related skills including Fast Talking, Blind Fighting, Listening & Awareness, and Backstab.
Oderint Dum Metuant.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”