Pick y'er Spell!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Pick y'er Spell!

Unread post by Mack »

So there I was, snuggled up in my bed wearing my Sesame Street pajamas just nodding off into dreamland, when a noise woke me. In my room, I found Thoth hanging about, and he said "When you awake, you'll be in the world of Rifts. But to give you a chance, you may have any one invocation as a natural ability. What do you pick?"

General rules:
- For simplicity, limited to the standard Invocations list (levels 1 - 15).
- The spell ability may be used up to 3 times per day.
- Normal restrictions apply (high level spells require multiple actions, rituals are still rituals...)
- Just another little exercise for fun. Don't read too much into it.

What would you select? And why that spell?

Rules Clarifications:
- When I say "standard Invocations" I mean pages 91 to 154 of the Book of Magic.
- As for spell level, Thoth arbitrarily says it will be at fifth (5th) level proficiency.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Mechghost
Explorer

Re: Pick y'er Spell!

Unread post by Mechghost »

I don't have my books handy but I would go with something of the Armor of Ithan or Armor Bizarre etc. In a new and potentially deadly world a little built in protection is a good thing.
"Did you find him?"
"Just the parts they didn't like..."
Virilitas
D-Bee

Unread post by Virilitas »

Nothing beats carpet of adhesion!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Mack wrote:snip...
...snip

Do you mean 1) just the invocations from RUE or 2) just in the invocations list from the Rifts Book of Magic, or 3) all the invocations from the RBoM (thus including the necro list, the ocean list, and the temporal lists)?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

I'm leading towards Dimensional Portal ... in the words of Eric Cartman "I'm going home" ... although that "Something often slips through" I'm sure that's just fluff ... right Thoth, right?

Ok assuming operation cheat doesn't work

Wards (Ritual) --- Each Ritual creates 3 wards, for 9 wards a day. Duration of 150 years per level, so I can have a lot of them. Despite the time doing the original ritual the spells go off when the other person touches them, so they take zero actions from me. Plus I wounder if "throwing a rock with a firebolt ward" at a person counts as them "touching it". Saving throws (when applicable) stay at the 16 for ritual magic. So in a wilderness setting I should be able to defend myself, and trap prey. If I'm in a civilized area I could very well sell my services.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

This would let me take one of my favorite spells in the game.
Open Pathway from Through the Glass Darkly (Nightbane) and Dream Window from Between the Shadows (Nightbane again) are really fun traveling spells. If neither was available then I would settle for Dimensional Teleport or Dimensional Portal.

The Reason is....if I am going to be sent someplace strange....I might as well be able to see all of it. I can get armor, I can get weapons, I can run from fights....but its hard to just travel.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Mack wrote:snip...
...snip

Do you mean 1) just the invocations from RUE or 2) just in the invocations list from the Rifts Book of Magic, or 3) all the invocations from the RBoM (thus including the necro list, the ocean list, and the temporal lists)?

Necro magic and such isn't "the standard invocations list."
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Incriptus wrote:I'm leading towards Dimensional Portal ... in the words of Eric Cartman "I'm going home" ... although that "Something often slips through" I'm sure that's just fluff ... right Thoth, right?

Same.
Not sure about the "something often slips through" part. I'd guess that it means that if you go opening up random portals to random places, stuff from the other side comes through... but it could mean that if you open a portal back to Earth, that something from somewhere could go along with you.

If it's the latter, I'd go with Dimensional Teleport instead. 6% chance per try, but nothing bad happens if you fail, and you get 3 tries per day in this scenario.
Should get me home in a week or two.

Either way, I'd probably try to make a profit from importing and exporting stuff from one place to the other.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Oh come on somebody has to give the most obvious one. Invisbility superior! Unless you plan on attacking somebody this makes you pretty much undetectable.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I think Mystic Portal would be a fun spell to play with.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Secondhand Smoke
Explorer
Comment: Dear life, when i said "can my life get any worse" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge

Unread post by Secondhand Smoke »

Teleport: Superior. Without a shadow of a doubt.
Insert philosophical quote here
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Killer Cyborg wrote:If it's the latter, I'd go with Dimensional Teleport instead. 6% chance per try, but nothing bad happens if you fail, and you get 3 tries per day in this scenario.

The wording of Dimensional Teleport makes me even more nervous. As the location in that dimension is completely random (unless...). Well our dimension is a big place, full of, lets say ... unhospitable locations ... atleast the portal says I can choose the world if I've been there before

Also what level am I?
Secondhand Smoke
Explorer
Comment: Dear life, when i said "can my life get any worse" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge

Unread post by Secondhand Smoke »

Level 1.

You are yourself being transported into the Rifts world with one spell of choice.

As in the start of the adventure.
Insert philosophical quote here
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Incriptus wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:If it's the latter, I'd go with Dimensional Teleport instead. 6% chance per try, but nothing bad happens if you fail, and you get 3 tries per day in this scenario.

The wording of Dimensional Teleport makes me even more nervous. As the location in that dimension is completely random (unless...). Well our dimension is a big place, full of, lets say ... unhospitable locations ... atleast the portal says I can choose the world if I've been there before

Good point.
I do have a "personal sanctuary" in this dimension, by my standards. Not sure if it's near a Ley Line or Nexus, though, and I'm pretty positive that I don't have a dimensional Rift circle.

"Dimension" seems to generally refer to a specific planet within a dimension, though, so I'd expect that worst case, we'd end up somewhere random on Earth.
Also, I think we could expect to not pop up under water somewhere.

A good suit of EBA, some supplies, and a jetpack might help out a LOT, but getting that kind of stuff would mean hanging out in Rifts Earth for a while longer.

Also what level am I?

Presumably, first level, as far as the Spell Ability is concerned.

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

It's all going to depend on what level I'm considered. At my age and experience I'd say I'm at least a level 5 Wilderness Scout or a level 9 vagabond (I've worked in a whole mess of industries).
So, if I go with level 5, then Armour of Ithan gives me 50MDC protection, Impervious to energy will protect me from laser fire for 10 minutes, Invis:superior gets me out of trouble for 15 minutes, Invincible armour get me 125 MDC for 15 minutes (far superior to AoI), Restore Life would make me invaluable to a community and get me protection.
Decisions, decisions.
I think I'd go for Restore Life. Get in with a good adventuring group, keep my head down, and collect lots of magical items for protection (traded for bringing people back to life).
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Rules Clarifications:
- When I say "standard Invocations" I mean pages 91 to 154 of the Book of Magic.
- As for spell level, Thoth arbitrarily says it will be at fifth (5th) level proficiency.

My submission:
Charismatic Aura (BoM p99-100) - probably the most utilitarian survival spell I could hope for. As an outsider just "plopped" in to Rifts, I'll quickly find myself dependent on others. This spell keeps me alive by not getting into combat in the first place, and by influencing the locals to help me find a place in the world. The key is to use it subtlety, and not that often.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

IMO, Talisman is the most important spell for a mage.

For a non-mage though, Mend the Broken might be a good spell to know.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Ley Line Restoration.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

flatline wrote:Ley Line Restoration.

Could you explain that a bit? Tomorrow morning you wake up in Rifts (still wearing the Sesame Street pajamas) and the one spell you want is Ley Line Restoration?

Just trying to see where you're going with that.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
flatline
Knight

Mack wrote:

Could you explain that a bit? Tomorrow morning you wake up in Rifts (still wearing the Sesame Street pajamas) and the one spell you want is Ley Line Restoration?

Best healing magic in the game (unless you're a whale). If I'm going to survive, I'll need to make friends. Being able to restore missing limbs and such isn't such a bad way to do that. And if I ever make it back home (assuming there are ley lines here), I'll be able to heal people. Not a bad gig if you can get it.

Alternatively, being able to make 3 magic weapons a day with Enchant Weapon would probably work as well.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

you could probably get the same millage out of a teleport spell as you get higher level if you're thinking of providing services, flatline.

its a longer game, but I think the payoff would be higher.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

flatline wrote:
Mack wrote:

Best healing magic in the game (unless you're a whale). If I'm going to survive, I'll need to make friends. Being able to restore missing limbs and such isn't such a bad way to do that. And if I ever make it back home (assuming there are ley lines here), I'll be able to heal people. Not a bad gig if you can get it.

Alternatively, being able to make 3 magic weapons a day with Enchant Weapon would probably work as well.

--flatline

I would think Reconstructive Restoration would be the best healing magic, given it can restore just about anyone from anything even from being a Juicer.

Then again Weep Beans of Life you get at least 2 beans a casting that can heal completely and give you an extra 25 healthy years of life after eating or if planted provide a meal for thousands of people for a day.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
flatline
Knight

Nightmask wrote:
flatline wrote:
Mack wrote:

--flatline

I would think Reconstructive Restoration would be the best healing magic, given it can restore just about anyone from anything even from being a Juicer.

Then again Weep Beans of Life you get at least 2 beans a casting that can heal completely and give you an extra 25 healthy years of life after eating or if planted provide a meal for thousands of people for a day.

I'm not familiar with either of those. Where are they printed?

--flatline

flatline
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:you could probably get the same millage out of a teleport spell as you get higher level if you're thinking of providing services, flatline.

I'm not interested in a spell with a random chance of instant death for the caster.

If Temporal Magic were allowed, then I'd quite willingly take Time Warp: Space & Time since there is no chance of instant death and the range is, apparently, unlimited.

--flatline

dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I am going to say Water to Wine, go to the nearest establishment and setting up a "winery". Get three 55 gallon barrels (a day!), fill it with about 50 gallons of water each, sell the wine for at a price of 1,300 credits a barrel, or bottle the stuff myself and sell it for 10 credits per 750 ml bottle (a 50 gallon barrel can hold 252 bottle, and each 50 gallon cask is worth 100 credits).

And at three times a day, that is pretty easy work for 3,900 credits. Not amazing to an aspiring adventurer, but that would be the easiest, safest damn near 4 grand a day that I will have ever made, and after I get settled and all that, I will start stock piling the money I don't spend to buy armor, weapons, training, perhaps even learn magic myself.

The OP had refined us to spells that could be found in a certain range of pages from the Book of Magic.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

flatline wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:you could probably get the same millage out of a teleport spell as you get higher level if you're thinking of providing services, flatline.

I'm not interested in a spell with a random chance of instant death for the caster.

If Temporal Magic were allowed, then I'd quite willingly take Time Warp: Space & Time since there is no chance of instant death and the range is, apparently, unlimited.

--flatline

I didn't think Superior had a fail chance. I was referring to that, sorry I wasn't more specific.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
flatline
Knight

Actually, Sustain or Fly As The Eagle would both be handy.

--flatline

Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

flatline wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
flatline wrote:
Mack wrote:

--flatline

I'm not familiar with either of those. Where are they printed?

--flatline

Reconstructive Restoration would be in Through The Glass Darkly if memory serves, and Weep Beans of Life in Mystic China (N&SS not Rifts).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Alrik Vas
Knight

You could be the ultimate janitor with Cleanse?

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Alrik Vas wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

I didn't think Superior had a fail chance. I was referring to that, sorry I wasn't more specific.

Teleport: Superior has a 99-00% chance of screwing up when going to a very familiar place or a place you can currently see - the chance is even higher as familiarity and/or visibility goes down. As far as that "screwing up" goes, there's like a 15% percent chance (or close to it) that the screw up will be instant death. I don't understand why anyone ever uses this spell. Eventually, you're going to roll bad and die.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
flatline
Knight

Glistam wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

Teleport: Superior has a 99-00% chance of screwing up when going to a very familiar place or a place you can currently see - the chance is even higher as familiarity and/or visibility goes down. As far as that "screwing up" goes, there's like a 15% percent chance (or close to it) that the screw up will be instant death. I don't understand why anyone ever uses this spell. Eventually, you're going to roll bad and die.

In the best case, you only screw up if you roll 00. If you roll 99, you're still fine.

--flatline

random_username
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Just an old dude Gamer (GM and Player) who had the honor of gaming with several great groups of folks over the years.

Unread post by random_username »

Create Golem (13th, BoMp147-148).
- Due to the casting cost being covered (leniently including any SDC cost).
- If this version includes drawing the materials from the surrounding area or creating the materials then Iron Golems with high enough value diamond component is the way to go.
- If materials don't automatically form as needed then presumably Thoth would drop the individual at the edge of an open pit Onyx mine/equivalent in a relatively survivable area. Further next to large clay deposits (both relatively easy in North America) with at least access to some minor readily available SDC animals (squirrels, lizards, etc). Then your stuck with Stone Golems for the moment.
- Either way: Keep from being noticed and build up as many Golems as possible having existing ones guard while working on remaining ones for that day. Then laboring for shelter, food, water, etc in down time.
- Each day adding 3 more to the growing army.
- If possible make 18 foot tall ones with open top container/backpack equivalent able to hold/conceal a human-sized being (Master Blaster - Mad Max; material transport - particularly small items/liquids, etc).
- If really lucky/bona fide includes Sculpting/equivalent ability.
- Build ambush spots, pit traps, etc.
- Capture MDC materials from creatures/monsters and build implements from them. Carefully obliterate bandits/raiders to acquire gear, armor, weaponry. Headshots to maintain main body for materials/armor, and reverse if a helmet is needed.
If something makes the RPG experience better that's great. If not don't use it.

If not overly informative hopefully it was at least mildly amusing. Munchkin Clown Away! <fwoosh... honk, honk>
flatline
Knight

I've had a change of heart. Sub-Particle Acceleration would be nice to have for recharging e-clips and, to a lesser extent, self-defense.

--flatline

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i've been thinking about it, and i'm leaning more and more towards beat insurmountable odds.

because the simple fact of the matter is i would need a spell that covers a variety of areas. i'd need to have a spell that keeps me fed, sheltered, warm, and hidden. it would need to account for offense and defence and survival. and there aren't a lot of spells that can do all of those things.

but with beat insurmountable odds, i can take terrible chances of success (1 in 1000) and turn that into pretty good probability. i mean, i'd be awful at finding enough food to survive. but i figure i've got at *least* one in a thousand to find food by myself. i'd be awful at hiding from supernatural predators. but again, i'd probably be able to manage at least one in a thousand on my own. i'd have a hard time bartering for necessary supplies or training to stay alive... but again, that benchmark means that beat insurmountable odds puts nearly impossible things right in my reach, 3 times a day.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Shark_Force wrote:i've been thinking about it, and i'm leaning more and more towards beat insurmountable odds.

because the simple fact of the matter is i would need a spell that covers a variety of areas. i'd need to have a spell that keeps me fed, sheltered, warm, and hidden. it would need to account for offense and defence and survival. and there aren't a lot of spells that can do all of those things.

but with beat insurmountable odds, i can take terrible chances of success (1 in 1000) and turn that into pretty good probability. i mean, i'd be awful at finding enough food to survive. but i figure i've got at *least* one in a thousand to find food by myself. i'd be awful at hiding from supernatural predators. but again, i'd probably be able to manage at least one in a thousand on my own. i'd have a hard time bartering for necessary supplies or training to stay alive... but again, that benchmark means that beat insurmountable odds puts nearly impossible things right in my reach, 3 times a day.

Good thinking!

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Fly as the eagle.

So I could fly.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Summon Lesser Being as a natural ability since natural abilities do not generally cost PPE. By picking the right beings I can have them do for me everything I need. I think I'll start with a Cheruu since I could use a Restoration spell to take care of a few health issues. Thank you so much my new friend. Could you summon up something to scout the area and find a nice town for us?
My slightest wish is your command you say? You are too kind. Well my new friend and I are off to explore, cure the sick, feed the poor so forth and so on.
flatline
Knight

Mlp7029 wrote:Summon Lesser Being as a natural ability since natural abilities do not generally cost PPE. By picking the right beings I can have them do for me everything I need. I think I'll start with a Cheruu since I could use a Restoration spell to take care of a few health issues. Thank you so much my new friend. Could you summon up something to scout the area and find a nice town for us?
My slightest wish is your command you say? You are too kind. Well my new friend and I are off to explore, cure the sick, feed the poor so forth and so on.

Excellent!

--flatline

Return to “Rifts®”