Additional Rifts: Ultimate Edition Errata

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Additional Rifts: Ultimate Edition Errata

Unread post by Mack »

Panomas wrote:I was unable to locate the required gem for the spell/invocation Extinguish Fire (4), for T.W. requirements, is it listed anywhere else?

It's missing.

My recommendation is to use Smoky Quartz since it's the gem for most other fire spells.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
popscythe
Adventurer
Comment: Mecha-sized flamethrowers, dudes! *woooooosh* :heart:

Unread post by popscythe »

Has anyone brought up that some of the bionic weapons have "rate of fire: aimed, burst or wild" listed?
Zarathustra was extremely accurate. He was talking about you, man.
Whoops! Looks like I was wrong about where Mos Eisley's located.
Victorious on Final Jeopardy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilrszSXGiI
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

popscythe wrote:Has anyone brought up that some of the bionic weapons have "rate of fire: aimed, burst or wild" listed?

As they effectively standard rifles of machine guns (heavy weapons) that is accurate. Standard rifles and machine guns can have an aimed burst or wild rate of fire as I believe both WPs list burst damages for firing bursts in their descriptions so you would need this for where they do not list damages for such things.. So aimed would be single shot, burst would be burst and wild is, well, wild. Use appropriate rules for each.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
popscythe
Adventurer
Comment: Mecha-sized flamethrowers, dudes! *woooooosh* :heart:

Unread post by popscythe »

Mini-Missiles. Ion.

It's clearly a cut and paste error.
Zarathustra was extremely accurate. He was talking about you, man.
Whoops! Looks like I was wrong about where Mos Eisley's located.
Victorious on Final Jeopardy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilrszSXGiI
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Grimlock wrote:It's been a while, and I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe I came across a typo when making a Merc Soldier.

All Merc Soldiers get "Radio: Basic", but when you choose the Communiation MOS skills, "Radio: Basic" is listed there as well. My GM and I figured it was supposed to be "Radio:Scramblers", so we changed it to that for my character; we assume that was the author's intention as well.

Sorry if this typo, if that's what it is, has already been mentioned.

In addition to what he said, I noticed a couple things that makes this OCC broken:

1 = Since there is no more Radio: Scramblers skill, does this mean that every merc soldier except for those with the commo MOS transmits in plain text?

2 = The transportation MOS gets only one Pilot Related skill; Navigation. They also can't get any advanced piloting skills, unless they take it as their one and only Pilot: One of Choice skill.

3 = The medic MOS gets the Medical Doctor skill, but they're unable to read their medical equipment because all those devices get covered under the Sensory Equipment skill, which only the commo MOS gets to take.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

The Beast wrote:
Grimlock wrote:It's been a while, and I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe I came across a typo when making a Merc Soldier.

All Merc Soldiers get "Radio: Basic", but when you choose the Communiation MOS skills, "Radio: Basic" is listed there as well. My GM and I figured it was supposed to be "Radio:Scramblers", so we changed it to that for my character; we assume that was the author's intention as well.

Sorry if this typo, if that's what it is, has already been mentioned.

In addition to what he said, I noticed a couple things that makes this OCC broken:

1 = Since there is no more Radio: Scramblers skill, does this mean that every merc soldier except for those with the commo MOS transmits in plain text?

2 = The transportation MOS gets only one Pilot Related skill; Navigation. They also can't get any advanced piloting skills, unless they take it as their one and only Pilot: One of Choice skill.

3 = The medic MOS gets the Medical Doctor skill, but they're unable to read their medical equipment because all those devices get covered under the Sensory Equipment skill, which only the commo MOS gets to take.

1. Um, which version of the Merc Soldier are you looking at, because the version presented in the RUE (1st printing) on page 82 does not list Radio: Scramblers for them. They get: +10% to Computer Operation skill, Basic Electronics +10%, Electronic Countermeasures +15%, Optic Systems/Surveillance Systems +14%, Radio: Basic (+20%, which by the way would override the +10% that all other Mercs get), Cryptography or an extra language +15%, Sensory Equipment +20%, and TV/Video or Computer Programming +10%.

2. What do you mean by transportation guys don't get any advanced piloting choices unless they choose it? They get to pick between auto and motorcycle, hovercraft and hovercycle, get Tanks & APC's and Trucks. What exactly qualifies as "advanced" piloting skills?

3. Why would they need to know how to read sensors when they have computer operation. I am of course assuming that their medical equipment are in fact computers that use visual and audio as they don't automatically get a Literacy skill.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
The Beast

dragonfett wrote:1. Um, which version of the Merc Soldier are you looking at, because the version presented in the RUE (1st printing) on page 82 does not list Radio: Scramblers for them. They get: +10% to Computer Operation skill, Basic Electronics +10%, Electronic Countermeasures +15%, Optic Systems/Surveillance Systems +14%, Radio: Basic (+20%, which by the way would override the +10% that all other Mercs get), Cryptography or an extra language +15%, Sensory Equipment +20%, and TV/Video or Computer Programming +10%.

That's what I'm saying, only the commo MOS gets the Electronic Countermeasures skill. Which would mean none of the other merc soldiers know how to transmit in cypher text.

2. What do you mean by transportation guys don't get any advanced piloting choices unless they choose it? They get to pick between auto and motorcycle, hovercraft and hovercycle, get Tanks & APC's and Trucks. What exactly qualifies as "advanced" piloting skills?

The advanced piloting skills are things like jets, jet fighters, subs, etc, most of which need the RSE skill IIRC. Now having said that, a lenient GM could rule that a transportation guy could be allowed to take those skills as OCC Related, but, going off the same wording, a less lenient GM would rule the opposite.

3. Why would they need to know how to read sensors when they have computer operation. I am of course assuming that their medical equipment are in fact computers that use visual and audio as they don't automatically get a Literacy skill.

Check your skill descriptions again. Medical equipment is clearly listed under the Sensory Equipment skill, without which, "characters cannot understand or operate advanced aircraft, medical equipment, or sensor/detection equipment."

Also, since the OCC gets Computer Operation as an OCC Skill, they all automatically get the Literacy skill as well (RUE, page 299, 2nd paragraph on right).
dragonfett
Knight

The Beast wrote:
dragonfett wrote:1. Um, which version of the Merc Soldier are you looking at, because the version presented in the RUE (1st printing) on page 82 does not list Radio: Scramblers for them. They get: +10% to Computer Operation skill, Basic Electronics +10%, Electronic Countermeasures +15%, Optic Systems/Surveillance Systems +14%, Radio: Basic (+20%, which by the way would override the +10% that all other Mercs get), Cryptography or an extra language +15%, Sensory Equipment +20%, and TV/Video or Computer Programming +10%.

That's what I'm saying, only the commo MOS gets the Electronic Countermeasures skill. Which would mean none of the other merc soldiers know how to transmit in cypher text.

The advanced piloting skills are things like jets, jet fighters, subs, etc, most of which need the RSE skill IIRC. Now having said that, a lenient GM could rule that a transportation guy could be allowed to take those skills as OCC Related, but, going off the same wording, a less lenient GM would rule the opposite.

Check your skill descriptions again. Medical equipment is clearly listed under the Sensory Equipment skill, without which, "characters cannot understand or operate advanced aircraft, medical equipment, or sensor/detection equipment."

Also, since the OCC gets Computer Operation as an OCC Skill, they all automatically get the Literacy skill as well (RUE, page 299, 2nd paragraph on right).

It wasn't until I took a closer look at the ECM skill that I realized that it duplicates the old Radio: Scrambler skill PLUS allowing for traditional ECM warfare. Having been in the Air Force for 6 years working on jet aircraft and ground radar systems led me to thinking of ECM in the traditional sense instead of what the skill talks about as well.

As for the whole transportation MOS for the Merc Soldier OCC, I honestly guess that makes me in the less lenient GM category as I see that MOS as someone who is a GROUND transportation guy who knows how to operate most ground vehicles. If you want someone for jets and jet fighters, then you would need a fighter pilot. Need someone to steer a ship or sub, then you need someone with a nautical background. I am sure either of those two would find trying to operate big rigs and tanks and APC's just as hard as the Transportation MOS finds flying jets or steering subs.

With the exception of the second part of the Portable Bio-Scan (the stress analyzer) and the Portable Scan Dihilator (which I don't see doctors having a need for anyway as it's described as basically being a military scanner and radar despite being listed under Medical Equipment), I would allow a computer operation skill roll for anyone trying to use medical equipment.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Radio: Scramblers has officially been replaced by the Electronic Countermeasures skill.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Galactus Kid

Panomas wrote:Has the double PPE or a mages spell duration-damage etc. rule, while at a leyline been thrown out?

I know it was brought up before, but I'm not sure what the final decision was. I still play it as RMB in my games.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

dragonfett
Knight

As far as I has heard and seen, since it was never ruled out in the RUE, it's is still in effect, however I could be wrong about that, but that is how I intend on playing it.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
The Galactus Kid

Amanda-Cha'at wrote:Maybe an official errata would be nice regarding Glitter Boy Pilot
Do they get all the bonuses for: Pilot: Robot/PA Elite (Glitterboy) from their OCC, Descendent Bonus (OCC) listing and hand to hand Glitterboy Elite.

Are all data cumulative? i started a thread of it, but i thought that i better bost it here as well if you will add in these things in a new printing of RUE or if a new edition will be printed later.

Decendant bonuses and the Hand to Hand Glitterboy Elite only and the bonuses of the hand to hand skills. Normally, any block listed in the O.C.C. stat block over-rides the generic Robot Combat Elite.

Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

How many actions are consumed during aimed, called, and aimed/called shots for Sharpshooting?

Literally, with the RUE rules, the usefulness of this has diminished considerably.
The Beast

Panomas wrote:I always thought it was ONE for an aimed shot-

TWO for a called shot-

It was never anything for a called shot, and it still shouldn't be.
The Galactus Kid

The Beast wrote:

TWO for a called shot-

As it stands now, according to the rules in R:UE, it is one action to shoot. A called shot is two actions. An aimed shot is two actions. An aimed called shot (a called shot with the aiming bonus) is three.

Personally, I still play that a called shot requires a natural 12 or higher and only takes one action. and aimed called shot will take 2.

dragonfett
Knight

The Galactus Kid wrote:
The Beast wrote:

TWO for a called shot-

As it stands now, according to the rules in R:UE, it is one action to shoot. A called shot is two actions. An aimed shot is two actions. An aimed called shot (a called shot with the aiming bonus) is three.

Personally, I still play that a called shot requires a natural 12 or higher and only takes one action. and aimed called shot will take 2.

I thought that called shots still did require a 12 (modified) or better. Needing to roll a 12 or better for a called shot takes away all of the shooter's skill and experience. I agree that it shouldn't be easy.

Perhaps a good house rule would be a "Quick" Called Shot takes a single attack action and requires a natural 12 or better after aplicable penalties (meaning that the roll after penalties, but not bonuses, still needs to be 12) on the roll, a "Normal" Called Shot takes two actions and requires a 12 after bonuses and penalties are added, and a Aimed Called Shot takes 3 actions and gets the normal +2 (plus any other bonuses that the character might get for aiming such as from the Sniper skill or from a scope) bonus on top of other bonuses that they got for a normal Called Shot.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
The Galactus Kid

I think the higher roll needed to strike illustrates the difficulty in calling your shot. Aiming is what takes time. Its how I run it in all my games, including convention games, and how I will continue to do so.

cchopps
Adventurer

Unread post by cchopps »

Range for the Shifter "Dimension Sense" ability, specifically the Combat/Teleport Redirection aspect. Also, how does it work against a Supernatural ability to Teleport (no PPE cost)?

Also, should there be any modifier to the vs. D20 roll on redirecting Teleport? Character level or something like that? Or is it just totally random?

C. Chopps
The Galactus Kid

jldyr2 wrote:The question I have is about supernatural strength. In the RIFTS book, supernatural strength can lift and carry the PS x 50. But in Hero's Unlimited 2nd Edition a character with supernatural strength can lift and carry PS x 300 and lift over their head PS x 500. Why is it different?

Different settings with different physics in the game worlds.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

One of these days a supernatural superhero is going to walk through a rift carrying a heavy basket of medical supplies for some refugees and get a nasty nasty shock.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
madmarvin
D-Bee

Unread post by madmarvin »

RMB Glitterboys have 100 round but in RUE and later the have 1000 rounds which is correct? to me the 100 rounds is it allows a advanced pilot (10 attacks) 2 1/2 minutes of constant fire vs 25 mins of constant fire which I find stupendous.
The Beast

madmarvin wrote:RMB Glitterboys have 100 round but in RUE and later the have 1000 rounds which is correct? to me the 100 rounds is it allows a advanced pilot (10 attacks) 2 1/2 minutes of constant fire vs 25 mins of constant fire which I find stupendous.

Kevin said the 100 was a typo and it was always meant to be 1,000. Fans did the math and said the ammo containers for that amount would be the size of to two full refrigerators.
madmarvin
D-Bee

even if they where smaller then shotgun shells 1000 still takes up lots of space 100 works better. from a realist and design stand point
1000 round is way to much ammo the glitteryboy would never last in a prolonged firefight long enough to use all of it .
either the enemy would die or it would. practicality means one would design the armor to last longer then the ammo supply.
madmarvin
D-Bee

did they also get rid of the glitterboy dodge penalty? it reads like they reworked the pylon system to work instantaneously when fired
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Rappanui wrote:
The Beast wrote:
madmarvin wrote:RMB Glitterboys have 100 round but in RUE and later the have 1000 rounds which is correct? to me the 100 rounds is it allows a advanced pilot (10 attacks) 2 1/2 minutes of constant fire vs 25 mins of constant fire which I find stupendous.

Kevin said the 100 was a typo and it was always meant to be 1,000. Fans did the math and said the ammo containers for that amount would be the size of to two full refrigerators.

rurther note: Weight slugs which are about the same size and shape of a glitterboy Canister weigh 5lbs each. 1000 canisters = 5000lbs. the glitterboy does not weigh 4 tons.
The Loaded boom gun is roughly 600lbs, The math involved says that's about right for a 100 round complement.
I think he meant individual slugs, which 200 are in each canister...

faulty math based on too many assumptions.
the only things we know for sure are the length of a single round (7 inches) and the length of a single slug (1 inch) and that the slugs are packed in a shell in four bundles of 50 (which only accounts for 4 inches of the total length of a "shell" no other data is supplied.
so any additional data is pure supposition.
also using current technology to "guesstimate" the design parameters of a fictional settings super-science (which by definition exceeds our current understanding)?
next you will try to define the parameters of magical effects (defined in the setting as defying known laws of physics) using "real" world physics.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Rappanui wrote:It's certainly what Diabolists do.

No what Diabolist do is "symbols xyz produces abc effect" . There is no "physics" to that.
Scientific method? Sure but they no more understand the why of it than you and I do.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

With the removal of automatic body flip from Hand to Hand: Commando (and I have heard later reprinted of Coalition War Campaign removed this) should I discount the listing of Automatic Body Flip under numerous NPCs in Siege on Tolkeen 2: Coalition Overkill?

Or because RUE is set after the completion of the Siege, should I interpret this to be a new version of the skill and characters created prior to or during the siege would retain their automatic body flip?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

STILL no listed ISP recovery for Mind Melters YET!

And not clarification if Healing Touch and Bio-regenerate Self or the Psi Super Power Regeneration also heals MDC beings.
GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

Same stuff as above.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

UAR-1 Enforcer lists 80 rounds expended for 1D6x10 damage. IMHO it should be 40 rounds for 1D6 x10 as this rail gun uses a lager round the SAMAS rail gun or the damage should be higher.
glynnlc
D-Bee
Comment: My e-mail is glynnlc@me.com

Unread post by glynnlc »

Page 251

The Coalition Spider Skull Walker black market cost states it has missiles, but there are no statistics for it. Not even what kind of missiles (mini, short, medium, long). Does it have missiles or not?
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

GT wrote:not clarification if Healing Touch and Bio-regenerate Self or the Psi Super Power Regeneration also heals MDC beings.

I would assume it doesn't unless MDC is explicitly indicated.

An exception to this would be the Syvan though, their super psi Bio-Regen can heal MDC to themself, a unique RCC ability.

Mlp7029 wrote:UAR-1 Enforcer lists 80 rounds expended for 1D6x10 damage. IMHO it should be 40 rounds for 1D6 x10 as this rail gun uses a lager round the SAMAS rail gun

This has been an issue since RMBp196. It is described as more powerful than the SAMAS. Since the range is the same, I figure that means damage. On a per-round basis the UAR-1 is definitely slightly stronger (2 more sides on the die) so it is better for sniping. I don't know if that means it uses a bigger round though. It might use the same one. It might just have a stronger power supply than the SAMAS.

But yeah, the accuracy is pretty horrible. SAMAS get 10 shots per 40 (25%) while Enforcer gets 10 shots per 80 (12.5%). It has a bigger payload but that doesn't help much with ammo costs. The Spider-Walker is in an equally horrible situation, still with a better per-shot damage than either SAMAS/Enforcer and a higher range this time, making it a better sniper.

glynnlc wrote:Page 251: Spider Skull Walker black market cost states it has missiles

Odd, this is also an issue on RMBp197. I would definitely give it a compliment of mini-missiles at minimum. Considering how valuable they are for defense against volleys, even if missiles were not the prime offense of a robot, something as expensive as the Spider-Walker should logically have some to extend its lifespan.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Page 66 OCC skills for Cyber-Knight is missing WP Shield (Zen Combat number two says they have it) and WP Sword.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Mlp7029 wrote:Page 66 OCC skills for Cyber-Knight is missing WP Shield (Zen Combat number two says they have it) and WP Sword.

Greetings and Salutations. Page 65, level two of Zen Combat gives you the skill. Last couple of sentences: "Gets the W.P. Shield skill... " and then provides the bonuses. Since you don't have it at level 1, it's not an O.C.C. skill. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
dragonfett
Knight

So basically what this means is that unless a 1st level Cyber-Knight wants to devote a skill slot to a skill they will get NEXT level to use something that they can create right now (they start off with the ability to form Psi-Shields), then they will have to fumble around for a level unable to make the most of their Psi-Shields (or mundane shields if they have those as well...).
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
The Galactus Kid

dragonfett wrote:So basically what this means is that unless a 1st level Cyber-Knight wants to devote a skill slot to a skill they will get NEXT level to use something that they can create right now (they start off with the ability to form Psi-Shields), then they will have to fumble around for a level unable to make the most of their Psi-Shields (or mundane shields if they have those as well...).

Yes. You want to use your shield effectively, take the W.P.

Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Ley Line Rifter spell list B has some inconsistent PPE values for some of the spells. The write up says spells on list A and B are cast at half cost but some of the spells have different PPE reductions than a half. Teleport Lesser and Call Lightning at 5 are one third; Teleport Superior at 150 is one quarter. Additionally Teleport Lesser (60) should be listed as well.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Rappanui wrote:
The Beast wrote:

rurther note: Weight slugs which are about the same size and shape of a glitterboy Canister weigh 5lbs each. 1000 canisters = 5000lbs. the glitterboy does not weigh 4 tons.
The Loaded boom gun is roughly 600lbs, The math involved says that's about right for a 100 round complement.

If that were the case, it would only take 50 rounds to reach 1000 slugs, half the payload the GB was listed as having in RMB. If it were slugs then you'd expect to see 2000 as the mistake.

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Rappanui wrote:
The Beast wrote:

faulty math based on too many assumptions.
the only things we know for sure are the length of a single round (7 inches) and the length of a single slug (1 inch) and that the slugs are packed in a shell in four bundles of 50 (which only accounts for 4 inches of the total length of a "shell" no other data is supplied.
so any additional data is pure supposition.
also using current technology to "guesstimate" the design parameters of a fictional settings super-science (which by definition exceeds our current understanding)?
next you will try to define the parameters of magical effects (defined in the setting as defying known laws of physics) using "real" world physics.

The nice thing about 1000 rounds is you can stack them up as 10 x 10 x 10 and just multiply the dimensions of a single round by 10 in every aspect to figure out how much space 1000 would take up. So 7 inches long (which we can agree is probably the biggest dimension, whatever the width of it is) times 10 is 70 inches, or 5'10. Now... if it wasn't a perfect 10x10x10 and was a bit wider and thicker in the back (say, 5 tall x 10 depth x 20 wide) then it could be a mere 2'11" high.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

glynnlc wrote:Page 251

The Coalition Spider Skull Walker black market cost states it has missiles, but there are no statistics for it. Not even what kind of missiles (mini, short, medium, long). Does it have missiles or not?

If I recall, that misprint/omission was in the original Game Book...so, they were thinking of "fixing" the issue in UE...and didn't quite get around to doing it?
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

mobuttu wrote:There is no skill indicated for the use of a Tomahawk.
There is no skill indicated for the use of a Bola.
There is no skill indicated for the use of a Bayoned.

Even though they are listed in their corresponding books.

WP: Axe
WP: Throwing (?)
Bayonet? Combination - WP: Knife when used dismounted. WP: Spear when mounted on a rifle.
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

mobuttu wrote:
farfairer wrote:Page 326-328: WP: Ancient Weapons:

There is no skill indicated for the use of a lance.
There is no skill indicated for the use of a chainsaw.

There is no skill indicated for the use of a Tomahawk.

Tomahawk is an axe. Bayonet would be knife.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

SittingBull wrote:
mobuttu wrote:
farfairer wrote:Page 326-328: WP: Ancient Weapons:

There is no skill indicated for the use of a lance.
There is no skill indicated for the use of a chainsaw.

There is no skill indicated for the use of a Tomahawk.

Tomahawk is an axe. Bayonet would be knife.

Bola is thrown weapons.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Just noticed that the Bruutasaur (WB30 p37-40; first printing) gets ammunition, but no weapons in its starting equipment.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

popscythe wrote:
Kalidor wrote:Borgs wearing heavy armor state "Prowl is impossible". While it might be considered a 'common sense' factor that Power Armor and Robots fall under that classification, it probably wouldn't hurt to toss in "Prowl is impossible" under their features and limitations.

I agree. There does not seem to be a concrete reference to Prowl being normally impossible in Power Armor and Robots, and one should probably be listed under the features and limitations sections to avoid confusion.

I would agree with this, except that there are power armors in NG2 that expressly allow the wearer to prowl without penalty, and there are other recon-type models in other books that would seem to support some ability to prowl.

My own concern about the eratta:

RUE p287 says, "Each O.C.C. should indicate how many S.D.C. points a character gets. In the event that it does not, the character starts out with 2D6+12 S.D.C., plus any O.C.C. or R.C.C. bonuses."

Here's the thing. Even in RUE, many of the O.C.C.'s do not list any S.D.C., including the CS military O.C.C.'s, Merc Soldier, Robot Pilot, Cyber Doc, Elemental Fusionist, Ley Line Walkers... I'm sure the list goes on. Meanwhile, in the O.C.C.'s in which the S.D.C. is presented at the top, it's listed as one of a series of O.C.C. bonuses, not as a "starting S.D.C."

From the looks of things RUE was supposed to be presented like Chaos Earth for starting S.D.C. purposes, where each class gets its own. That's not the case. Some revision here would seem appropriate.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Hotrod wrote:Meanwhile, in the O.C.C.'s in which the S.D.C. is presented at the top, it's listed as one of a series of O.C.C. bonuses, not as a "starting S.D.C."

From the looks of things RUE was supposed to be presented like Chaos Earth for starting S.D.C. purposes, where each class gets its own. That's not the case. Some revision here would seem appropriate.

Welp, until they get their selves together, I still use page 9 in the "original" book (In this case, my water damaged silver R:RPG Collector's Ed.).
Fnord

Mathew
D-Bee

Unread post by Mathew »

P283 - I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but under the penalties for having a M.A. between 3 and 4, it says you get a -20% penalty to several skills, which include Interrogation. Then it gives several skills you get a -30% to, including Interrogation again! From the looks of the other penalties for low M.A., it appears the -30% is correct, so it should be deleted from the -20% list.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

popscythe wrote:On page 362 it mentions that missiles always strike the main body, while on page 363 it mentions making called shots with missiles. Is the "Note: All missiles always strike the main body" on page 362 in the correct place? It is my opinion that moving it to after the missile volley description and changing it to "Note: all missiles in a volley strike the main body of their target" would cover what was intended for this note.

That would be a sensible correction. In RMB called shots could only be done on aimed shots, and aimed shots with mini-missiles were only possible with 1 missile or the smallest volley of 2 missiles. Volleys of 3 or more counted as a burst and only got +1 to strike.

I believe this only applied with using the WP Heavy skill to fire unguided missiles though, using the +3aimed/+1 burst standard rules for guns which existed at the time. I believe if you were using guided missiles you would still get a +3 for volleys of 3 or more, just not if you were doing unguided volleys.

Of course, with called shots now requiring a WP skill (and even the genius smart missiles are not indicated as having that) all guided/smart missiles could only hit the main body (being unable to do a called shot) unless there was some way of coding a supplementary WP skill into the AI of the robot. I could see that being done for the Naruni drone-missile, would be worth the expense. Otherwise you'd have to rely on unguided missiles fired by people with the appropriate WP skill to hit non-main targets, and that probably limits you to mini-missile ranges of a mile or less.

RPwise I guess there's nothing preventing an unguided missile of a larger size (short/medium/larger) from being used at a close range a pilot can see at (otherwise it'd be -8 for firing blind, one would assume, not sure how it works if you're going based on radar rather than direct line of sight, and radar doesn't go THAT far) but GM input should be needed. While a called shot on a HUGE vehicle (like Dragon Dreadnought or something) with a LRM is feasible, doing that on smaller targets doesn't make much sense when you get to the point where the missile itself is larger than the entire body (much less the main body or a smaller portion connected to it) of the target. The idea of a called shot, a precision strike, is usually that you are striking with something small enough to single it out.

Like for example, the Kreeghor Dreadnought could technically do a called shot to my hand with its horn cannons... but realistically it's a 20 foot wide beam or something so the GM should disallow a called shot against such a small target and mandate only main body shots for targets much smaller than the attack.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Axelmania wrote:
popscythe wrote:On page 362 it mentions that missiles always strike the main body, while on page 363 it mentions making called shots with missiles. Is the "Note: All missiles always strike the main body" on page 362 in the correct place? It is my opinion that moving it to after the missile volley description and changing it to "Note: all missiles in a volley strike the main body of their target" would cover what was intended for this note.

That would be a sensible correction. In RMB called shots could only be done on aimed shots, and aimed shots with mini-missiles were only possible with 1 missile or the smallest volley of 2 missiles. Volleys of 3 or more counted as a burst and only got +1 to strike.

I believe this only applied with using the WP Heavy skill to fire unguided missiles though, using the +3aimed/+1 burst standard rules for guns which existed at the time. I believe if you were using guided missiles you would still get a +3 for volleys of 3 or more, just not if you were doing unguided volleys.

Of course, with called shots now requiring a WP skill (and even the genius smart missiles are not indicated as having that) all guided/smart missiles could only hit the main body (being unable to do a called shot) unless there was some way of coding a supplementary WP skill into the AI of the robot. I could see that being done for the Naruni drone-missile, would be worth the expense. Otherwise you'd have to rely on unguided missiles fired by people with the appropriate WP skill to hit non-main targets, and that probably limits you to mini-missile ranges of a mile or less.

RPwise I guess there's nothing preventing an unguided missile of a larger size (short/medium/larger) from being used at a close range a pilot can see at (otherwise it'd be -8 for firing blind, one would assume, not sure how it works if you're going based on radar rather than direct line of sight, and radar doesn't go THAT far) but GM input should be needed. While a called shot on a HUGE vehicle (like Dragon Dreadnought or something) with a LRM is feasible, doing that on smaller targets doesn't make much sense when you get to the point where the missile itself is larger than the entire body (much less the main body or a smaller portion connected to it) of the target. The idea of a called shot, a precision strike, is usually that you are striking with something small enough to single it out.

Like for example, the Kreeghor Dreadnought could technically do a called shot to my hand with its horn cannons... but realistically it's a 20 foot wide beam or something so the GM should disallow a called shot against such a small target and mandate only main body shots for targets much smaller than the attack.

Actually nothing stops a missiles to be used to make a called shot to the main body if it can be used as a single sniper style attack at times when the target can only be hit by called shot such as when they are behind cover.

The rule is not they can not make called shots it is they can only hit the main body, so a called shot to the main body to hit a target partially behind cover would not violate the note.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

What is the OFFICIAL R.U.E. Mind Melter ISP Recovery RATE!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Blue_Lion wrote:Actually nothing stops a missiles to be used to make a called shot to the main body if it can be used as a single sniper style attack at times when the target can only be hit by called shot such as when they are behind cover.

The rule is not they can not make called shots it is they can only hit the main body, so a called shot to the main body to hit a target partially behind cover would not violate the note.

Called shots to the main body could be done with unguided missiles, by a misileer with WP Heavy. Smart missiles make their own +5 rolls without a WP and so could not choose to aim or call.

Since missiles lack WP and can't make called shots, their inability to hit anything but the main body is obvious.

For missileers, they can hit whatever they want to call, since they are the ones striking.

GT wrote:What is the OFFICIAL R.U.E. Mind Melter ISP Recovery RATE!

I think someone pointed out there is a base 6/hour for all psychics they would use since RMB stripped their 12/hour.

I think it is still in Psyscape as 12 so the (accidental?) omission in RUEnneed not benviewed as a mandatory nerf.

Return to “Rifts®”