Convoy Vehicle

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Convoy Vehicle

Unread post by Phaze »

Ok...So I got a copy of the rules when I ran the Games at Gencon, and there are pictures of the rules out there.

It’s time to bring a serious discussion of what this elusive Convoy Vehicle should be and how it should be modeled.

For playing a pickup game at your FLGS, the vehicles can be agreed upon by both players. But as an MA, I will be asked "What should I make these look like for a tournament?"

Tournaments will happen and now is the time we, as a community, and the MA's should get together and start a discussion of the best ways to hold a tournament and issues that may arise while running one.

So this is my first point of discussion...please try your best to stay on topic.

Convoy Vehicles for tournaments...what are they?

I'll start...

Player must bring two models as part of their army to a MA Organized Robotech RPG Tactics Tournament for use during a Convoy Defense scenario, should it be randomly selected. Convoy Vehicles must be mounted on a 50mm base (Large Base; same size as the base for the Zentraedi Glaug Unit). It may be modeled after a large truck, aircraft, or spacecraft. Many different manufacturers offer suitable units that could be used for the Convoy Vehicle. For the sake of simplicity and game play, Convoy Vehicles should not extend beyond 75mm high or extend 26 mm (1 inch) past the large base diameter. Some examples of acceptable Convoy Vehicles are shown below. In every case, they should have a main body with wheels, wings, engines, or other attachments. Also they must have a specific forward facing direction, either obvious from the model, or marked on the base. Please keep in mind that Modeling for Advantage is not allowed, so tiny units (less than 15mm square, taking advantage of lack of LOS) and blocks that fill the entire allowable space (taking advantage of LOS to block other units) , would not be allowed. Convoy Vehicles may block LOS if large enough. Defending Players will use the Convoy Models they brought with their armies. Should a Player have an objection to the use of a particular Convoy Vehicle due to the appearance of Modeling for Advantage, a Tournament Organizer will make the determination what models are used in the battle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-TOYS-1-300-JAPAN-AIR-MILITARY-TRANSPORT-FREIGHT-PLANE-MODEL-C-1-3B-C1-3B-/231352392140?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item35ddad59cc#ht_4482wt_1124

http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/n96.html

http://www.microworldgames.com/collections/6mm-scifi/products/land-transporter

Or may be a 4" model of the space shuttle, or egg shape ship modeled after the HLV out of Robotech Macross RPG rule expansion.

Is this too vague of a definition, or do you think this would work? Suggestions?
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
McPherson
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Still hunting for Pineapple Salad.

Re: Convoy Vehicle

Unread post by McPherson »

I have applied to be a MA to run Robotech here in the UK (Still waiting for the response)

I haven't read the rules yet - waiting for my copy to arrive instead of trying to sneak a peak on some scanned copy etc. Does the scenario specify that it has to be on a 50mm (large) base, because from what I remember of having a fair number of 6mm trucks and transporters they can fit easily on much much smaller bases.

For Uk customers who are looking for generic civilian style slightly sci-fi trucks and vehicles I suggest www.brigademodels.co.uk some examples include.

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/6mmSF/SA ... -608b.html (Fuel Truck)
http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/6mmSF/SAC/SF300-608.html (Flatbed Truck)

- End of Line -
Eternally hunting for Pineapple Salad.
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

The rules don't clarify the base size or mini to use, just that both parties agree that the unit is ok to play with.

This leaves it wide open, which is fine for pickup games. But for a tournament this will have nailed down because of other issues such as HtH combat and Base to Base contact with a unit that has no base (such as a vehicle).

Having a smaller base would be ok, but when we get into space combat, space ships tend to be larger so I was leaving room for those. A cargo plane would tend to be larger than a VF. I chose a 50mm to accommodate both and to have a standard. Also, theres nothing stopping someone from putting 3 trucks on a base and calling it a single unit for the stats, and bring two bases with them to a tournament.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
McPherson
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Still hunting for Pineapple Salad.

Unread post by McPherson »

Multiple models on a base is what I was thinking as the best solution for ground convoys.

- End of Line -
Eternally hunting for Pineapple Salad.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

as long as you count it by base for the required # in the scenario, i doubt anyone would care.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Maximilian Jenius
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Maximilian Jenius »

Phaze I would put it on a smaller base personally but I wanted to say I really appreciate this as a prospective tournament player.

What is the smallest base in the box? 40mm?

Idealy PB could make a model for this guy with a supplied base. It makes them money and solves the whole issue.
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

Maximilian Jenius wrote:Phaze I would put it on a smaller base personally but I wanted to say I really appreciate this as a prospective tournament player.

Actually, it was your original post that got me thinking. Since I'm a MA and it seems one of the more excited MAs over Robotech Tactics, I might as well get the discussion going so the MAs have some kind of guide for running tournaments and players have some guideline for making armies for entry. The fan community should be involved in this as they are the reason the MAs would be organizing tournaments. I hope to work with other fans and develop this guide so everyone can get their game on. I don't believe I will make everone happy...but you got to draw the line in the sand somewhere. I wasn't happy with some of the restrictions for GW 40K tournaments, but I still played in them. Ultimately, I had a good time and it did create a good framework to eliminate the bulk of the BS that some players try to pull off for the sake of winning.

Smaller Base is noted and it will be considered...thanks for the feedback and the appreciation. 8)

Maximilian Jenius wrote:Idealy PB could make a model for this guy with a supplied base. It makes them money and solves the whole issue.

Ideally, yes. Right now they have their hands full with shipping Wave 1 and getting Wave 2 into production. I can't see a good set of minis for that until late next year at best. There could be a whole lot of tournaments held before that. So, until such time WE define what a Convoy Vehicle is, and when a miniature is produced, we can alter the guides, or maybe we find something that works and they produce a mini based on our input.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

plus, depending on the special rules in use regarding the battlefield enviroment, they could be anything.. trucks, ships, shuttles, etc..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

.. trucks, ships, shuttles, etc..

Yes they can...but since there is a few options, any Convoy Vehicle would be acceptable...even if you have Space Truckers on a Space battlefield. No matter how it looks for the particular environment, a Convoy Vehicle is a Convoy Vehicle. It will be interesting to see what people will come up with.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”