Hardware Unlimited ver 0.0.5

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: Hardware Unlimited ver 0.0.5

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

NMI wrote:The original, unrevised HU had force fields for robots.. 100 SDC for I believe $1 million.
As for the item in Galaxy Guide, it would not be that hard to say that the Force Field generator can be used for Robots/Vehicles/etc..

EDIT: Ha, found material in the book, regarding force fields and robots, bionics and normal armor

Aliens Unlimited [page #'s is for revised, but should be close to the original]

Page: 191, Special Features for Armor - The following special options can be applied to any rigid armor, be it metal, ceramic, plastic, crystal, diamond, or a survival suit {the latter could be rigid or not]. Robot and bionic characters are also welcome to add these options to their armors. Up to five featues can be added to a suite of armor.
Page: 192, 1st paragraphForce Field Generators: ..snip fluff... 100 SDC, regenerate 10 SDC per hour, Cost: 60,000 credits
Thanks for looking for it. I appreciate that.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
eoptap
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by eoptap »

AlanGunhouse wrote:
Mr. Deific NMI wrote:I have no problem with seeing a Hardware Character or Super Inventor creating/using a Portable Force Bridge.
Especially in my game worlds which tend to be a bit on the High Tech side.

Plausible? Pfft! This is a game. :D

Even games have internal logic...if hardware characters could invent items with super powers, why do they need a super invention class? They have the class, therefore, it has a reason to exist.

By your logic then the hardware characters should not be able to make PA with flight. Or Pa that can run mach 1, or even fly mach 1 or faster, as that tech would not be possible. The super invention occ, in my opinion, is more to make it a possibility for a non hardware character to get access to a super invention. The rules for the hardware characters would only grant them a penalty for building a super invention. The natural genius can even be a hardware character and duplicate what the all the hardware characters do. As a gm you could house rule you do not want them to build them, but if they have the funding, and you do not house rule ban them from building a super invention is within the scope of their skill set provided they can get the funding, and actually have the time to research. Granted they may end up with several failed or lesser device, but that is the nature of r and.
eoptap
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by eoptap »

Advanced Wireless Head Jack.
Range 5'
Has a "patch" a device you plug into devices that cannot be connected to wirelessly, and increases the range to 15'.
cost 1.5 times normal head jack.

V2
Range 15'/touch
"patch" increases range to 30'.
Cost 2 times normal head jack.

V3
Range 15'
Combined the bonuses from the head jack and the telemechanic helmet. "Patch only increases range to 25'
Cost combine the cost of telemechanic Helmet and head jack doubled.

V4
same as the above, but also grants tememechanics bonuses at double the cost of V3

V5
adds telemecanic operation, and electrical generation. cost three times what version 4 cost.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Single-Use Teleport Booth
“’Justice prevails’? Not this time, I think, super-chumps!! And now I must say...bye-bye!!!”(BWINK!)
A favorite escape mechanism of super-villians, the S-U TB is exactly that; a disposable telephone-booth-sized teleport device that will whisk the occupant away to a predetermined location. Both by the massive strain the teleportation puts on the device’s mechanisms and by deliberate design, the workings of the booth are destroyed, rendering them unusable and the destination settings untraceable.
Single-Use Releport Booths are believed to be manufactured by a subsidiary of Fabricators Inc., or by, it is rumored, a private concern using, or run by, aliens with advanced super-technology.
The S-U TB has a range of 25 miles and the end destination MUST be a fixed and stationary location. The booth is roughly the size of an old telephone booth and can teleport up to 600 lbs. The device can be biometrically secured to be accessed by a specific person(though, if weight and space allow, they can take several other people along with them once the device is opened).
Cost: 1 million credits/dollars; probably overpriced, but how much is a perfect getaway worth to you?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

taalismn wrote:Single-Use Teleport Booth
“’Justice prevails’? Not this time, I think, super-chumps!! And now I must say...bye-bye!!!”(BWINK!)
A favorite escape mechanism of super-villians, the S-U TB is exactly that; a disposable telephone-booth-sized teleport device that will whisk the occupant away to a predetermined location. Both by the massive strain the teleportation puts on the device’s mechanisms and by deliberate design, the workings of the booth are destroyed, rendering them unusable and the destination settings untraceable.
Single-Use Releport Booths are believed to be manufactured by a subsidiary of Fabricators Inc., or by, it is rumored, a private concern using, or run by, aliens with advanced super-technology.
The S-U TB has a range of 25 miles and the end destination MUST be a fixed and stationary location. The booth is roughly the size of an old telephone booth and can teleport up to 600 lbs. The device can be biometrically secured to be accessed by a specific person(though, if weight and space allow, they can take several other people along with them once the device is opened).
Cost: 1 million credits/dollars; probably overpriced, but how much is a perfect getaway worth to you?
Ha, I love it, though it seems most villains would be more prone to trying to capture someone with teleportation abilities rather than pay out such a huge sum for a single-use device.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Ha, I love it, though it seems most villains would be more prone to trying to capture someone with teleportation abilities rather than pay out such a huge sum for a single-use device.

Special discounts apply as the market dictates. Who's going to say no to Doctor Doom? After all, the people who make these things want to SELL these things, but not so cheap that they don't have a comfortable profit margin.
And the problem with captive live teleports is proper care and feeding, as well as motivation and control. Sure, there's hostage-holding, neural implants, and brainwashing, but if you don't have that capability or find it too icky(and there ARE villains who for various reasons won't cross certain lines), the mechanical teleport booth is a more attractive option. :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Ha, I love it, though it seems most villains would be more prone to trying to capture someone with teleportation abilities rather than pay out such a huge sum for a single-use device.

Special discounts apply as the market dictates. Who's going to say no to Doctor Doom? After all, the people who make these things want to SELL these things, but not so cheap that they don't have a comfortable profit margin.
And the problem with captive live teleports is proper care and feeding, as well as motivation and control. Sure, there's hostage-holding, neural implants, and brainwashing, but if you don't have that capability or find it too icky(and there ARE villains who for various reasons won't cross certain lines), the mechanical teleport booth is a more attractive option. :bandit:
Attractive, yes, but worth a million bucks a pop? I think not.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[
Attractive, yes, but worth a million bucks a pop? I think not.[/quote]

A million dollars or life in prison? That is the question, Lord Diabolus. :bandit:
Well, adjust price accordingly.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

RGG wrote:This is all pretty cool stuff.
Is this intended to be used to create a PDF?
Hard to tell by the title alone, though it implies that it will in some indirect way.
No, these are just fan-made items based on the items in the books in some cases, wholly original in others. Some have been collected to the Black Vault Wiki site, however.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:A mllion dollars or life in prison? That is the question, Lord Diabolus. :bandit:
If it were a teleportation option for a robot or bionics character and was built-in and not a one-time thing, I could see it being a million dollars or more. Disposable and single-use usually also makes things cheaper. You cannot charge the same price for a disposable camera as you would for something that is more useful and multi-use. As it is, the robotics teleporter device would be in the tens of millions to create if you set the cost bar so high for disposable units.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:A mllion dollars or life in prison? That is the question, Lord Diabolus. :bandit:
If it were a teleportation option for a robot or bionics character and was built-in and not a one-time thing, I could see it being a million dollars or more. Disposable and single-use usually also makes things cheaper. You cannot charge the same price for a disposable camera as you would for something that is more useful and multi-use. As it is, the robotics teleporter device would be in the tens of millions to create if you set the cost bar so high for disposable units.

500,000 dollars? And raise the weight threshold to 1,000 lbs? Do I hear 500,000 dollars for a clean getaway? :-D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

500,000 dollars? And raise the weight threshold to 1,000 lbs? Do I hear 500,000 dollars for a clean getaway? :-D
That seems more reasonable for a disposable unit, yes. I would pay half a million in that case. 8)
taalismn
Priest

Early Christmas/post-Halloween sale then, on supervillain accessories. :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
zenethos
Wanderer

Unread post by zenethos »

Is it safe to assume that any equipment posted on this thread is to be considered public domain? I found several items I would use for my next character, and I would like to be able to post the equipment stats. Please let me know. Thanks!
Power may corrupt, but I'd rather be corrupt than weak! - Zenethos

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

zenethos wrote:Is it safe to assume that any equipment posted on this thread is to be considered public domain? I found several items I would use for my next character, and I would like to be able to post the equipment stats. Please let me know. Thanks!

I would say go for it!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
zenethos
Wanderer

Awesome! I'll have to look through my old files, see if I can't find a contribution for this thread.

zenethos
Wanderer

Night-Shadow Tactical Defense Suite

This tactical defense suite was designed by a team of technicians in our Military Division here at C.I.T.A.D.E.L. Multinational. It's focus is on maintaining stealth and maneuverability, so it cannot absorb a huge amount of damage, but it's stealth technologies and sensor systems make it an excellent choice for a lone scout in the field.

Model Type: Penumbra 2.6b
Class: Tactical Defense Suite
Crew: One
Attribute Bonuses: +6 to PP; +4 to PS; Reduces pilot fatigue by 50%

S.D.C.: 250
A.R.: 10

Statistical Data:
• Weight: adds 25 pounds.
• Physical Strength: Equivalent of Robotic
• Cargo: Integrated cargo harnesses. Small items only.
• Power System:: Micronized Singularity Reactor - 50 year life
• Market Price: 25 million.

Systems:
Enhanced Physical Capabilities - The suite has musculo-skeletal enhancers and gyroscopic balancing systems that allow the pilot to run at three times their un-augmented speed. (Triples user's speed (max 100 mph)). These same enhancements also allow the pilot to make incredible leaps while landing on their feet. (Leap 25' up or 35' across [double these distances with a running start]).
Integrated Stealth System - This system uses vibrational dampeners, light-transmitting nano-fibers, and a signal absorption system which allows the armor to virtually disappear to almost all current sensory systems (there is only a 5% chance of detection when not moving, 25% otherwise). Once the pilot enters combat, there is a 50% chance the suite will decloak moments before the attack (offering a chance to defend at a base of -3 [not including any applicable bonuses]). The Night-Shadow can be programmed to generate a chameleonic field when motionless in order to blend in with its environment. Should the Avenger take 75 S.D.C. or more, the stealth system will shut down until repairs can be made.
Alternate Motive Capabilities - Through the use of state-of-the-art nano-fibers and electrostatic pads, the unit can traverse vertical and inverted surfaces as down. This capability has an unlimited duration, and is subject to the same limitations and penalties as the Adhesion minor super ability.
Sensor Systems - The helmet contains the equivalent of the Multi Optic Helmet, and Advanced Ear with Sound Filtration, as well as a full communications suite.

taalismn
Priest

zenethos wrote:Night-Shadow Tactical Defense Suite.

Ewwww...muscleware!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
zenethos
Wanderer

taalismn wrote:
zenethos wrote:Night-Shadow Tactical Defense Suite.

Ewwww...muscleware!

Ummm... What? It's a bit more than just a physical enhancer...

taalismn
Priest

Here-There Gun
“In yet another incident of super science gone irresponsibly mad, the Grammacy City Cost Guard fished yet another automobile out of the West Bay, after it was observed vanishing off the Interstate Bridge and appearing almost immediately over the waters of the Bay, making this the third time the ‘Jumper Dunker ‘ has struck-”

Believed to be an attempt at creating a teleportation device, Here-There Guns(HTGs) have since appeared in the hands of some supervillain groups. Their source is unknown, but HTGs have been used in a number of thefts, high-profile acts of vandalism, and terrorist ‘pranks’.
Here-There Guns resemble handheld dish microphones with pistol grips and handholds. Pointed at an object, they then teleport the object to a set distance in their range. The object in question is repelled/teleported AWAY from the shooter’s position, not TOWARD them(there are rumors of a There-Here Gun that draws distant objects TOWARDS the shooter’s position, but none have yet been observed in operation, nor has there many word of success on creating a dual-mode device).
Weight: 15 lbs
Range: 5,000 ft
Damage: Teleports a targeted object, up to 5,000 lbs, AWAY from the shooter to a set distance(cannot exceed the device’s range) along the device’s aim path(so the HTG cannot, for example, teleport a car behind the shooter). The HTG will teleport objects through any intervening solid objects, but if the end point of the teleport ends in solid material, the teleport will abort in the next suitably large open space before that point. The distance between the HTG and the target must be line of sight and CANNOT be obstructed(no targeting through walls). Multiple small objects(or people) can be teleported as long as they do not exceed the weight limit total and are in physical contact with each other. Anything NOT meeting those parameters will NOT be teleported(no partial teleports or whisking somebody’s lungs out of their body).
Rate of Fire: Once per melee.
Payload: 5 shot battery. The built-in battery requires the equivalent of twenty car batteries to recharge.
Cost: The HTG has appeared on the black markets for 2 million U.S. dollars or more.
Last edited by taalismn on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Here-There Gun
“In yet another incident of super science gone irresponsibly mad, the Grammacy City Cost Guard fished yet another automobile out of the West Bay, after it was observed vanishing off the Interstate Bridge and appearing almost immediately over the waters of the Bay, making this the third time the ‘Jumper Dunker ‘ has struck-”

Believed to be an attempt at creating a teleportation device, Here-There Guns(HTGs) have since appeared in the hands of some supervillain groups. Their source is unknown, but HTGs have been used in a number of thefts, high-profile acts of vandalism, and terrorist ‘pranks’.
Here-There Guns resemble handheld dish microphones with pistol grips and handholds. Pointed at an object, they then teleport the object to a set distance in their range. The object in question is repelled/teleported AWAY from the shooter’s position, not TOWARD them(there are rumors of a There-Here Gun that draws distant objects TOWARDS the shooter’s position, but none have yet been observed in operation, nor has there many word of success on creating a dual-mode device).
Damage: Teleports a targeted object, up to 5,000 lbs, AWAY from the shooter to a set distance(cannot exceed the device’s range) along the device’s aim path(so the HTG cannot, for example, teleport a car behind the shooter). The HTG will teleport objects through any intervening solid objects, but if the end point of the teleport ends in solid material, the teleport will abort in the next suitably large open space before that point. The distance between the HTG and the target must be line of sight and CANNOT be obstructed(no targeting through walls). Multiple small objects(or people) can be teleported as long as they do not exceed the weight limit total and are in physical contact with each other. Anything NOT meeting those parameters will NOT be teleported(no partial teleports or whisking somebody’s lungs out of their body).
Payload: 5 shot battery. The built-in battery requires the equivalent of twenty car batteries to recharge.

I am seeing no cost listed for this here device, sir.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

I am seeing this item as something that would almost always be in the hands of a NPC, so I dont think price is that much needed. An easy couple of million though.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[

I was going to let the market dictate the price, but as a guideline I'd say 2 million U.S. dollars or more.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:I was going to let the market dictate the price, but as a guideline I'd say 2 million U.S. dollars or more.
I could see them going for a lot more at auction if you didn't create too many of them and they were hard to find.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:I was going to let the market dictate the price, but as a guideline I'd say 2 million U.S. dollars or more.
I could see them going for a lot more at auction if you didn't create too many of them and they were hard to find.

Indeed. The SMART makers of these things would limit supply and distribution(but that has the drawback that it makes it a tad easier for the authorities to get wind of somebody offering these things for sale).
A dumb, or more dangerously, a MALICIOUS, maker would make lots, sell cheap, and watch chaos break loose.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

TPR Compound
Tactical Paint Rounds were originally designed for use by law enforcement units during training. These new rounds combine the concepts of mini-grenades with a paint compound based on an a kind of expanding foam sealant.

Basically, one round will release on impact approximately one cubic foot of brilliantly pink liquid that flows outwards and hardens along the targeted area. Designed for Sharpshooting Lawmen, this round is intended to lock up a person's armor by hardening the joints, allowing a reprobate to be potentially taken alive. Bear in mind that one cubic foot will only lock up one major joint or cluster, such as one knee or elbow, an entire hand and wrist or foot and ankle. Therefore, a 3-round burst will lock up either a pelvic region or both shoulders.

When used on unarmored flesh, each round causes 1d2 SDC damage (deep, painful bruising, mostly). However, the compounds will only have a 30% chance of sufficiently attaching to flesh or soft cloth armor to bind a target. It is designed to attach itself to hard armor joint corners.

There are two versions of this round. The first is a round that can be used as a heavy pistol or light rifle round. This is designed for man-sized targets (anything from 3' tall to powered armors in the 8-9' variety). The second is a vehicle-sized weapon, firing a gyroc on the scale of a 40mm Grenade round. This weapon is capable of binding a joint on anything up to 25' tall robots. While the volume may seem too small to properly affect the area described, the initial reaction is more akin to a rapidly expanding foam sealant.

In either case, the solution will last for a full 30 minutes upon exposure to oxygen before oxidizing into dust. Alternatively, a blast of 20 SD worth of electrical damage will destabilze the TPR enough to get it to release; the person bound by the TPR is actually insulated from that damage. Any damage over that 20 is inflicted on whomever is bound.

TPR Compound can also be placed into capsules in order to temporarily stick two items together.

I originally designed this for a Rifts campaign, but I figure that it would be good for use against heavy robots and those dinks in the ridiculous amounts of armor.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

wyrmraker wrote:TPR Compound
Tactical Paint Rounds were originally designed for use by law enforcement units during training. These new rounds combine the concepts of mini-grenades with a paint compound based on an a kind of expanding foam sealant.

Basically, one round will release on impact approximately one cubic foot of brilliantly pink liquid that flows outwards and hardens along the targeted area. Designed for Sharpshooting Lawmen, this round is intended to lock up a person's armor by hardening the joints, allowing a reprobate to be potentially taken alive. Bear in mind that one cubic foot will only lock up one major joint or cluster, such as one knee or elbow, an entire hand and wrist or foot and ankle. Therefore, a 3-round burst will lock up either a pelvic region or both shoulders.

When used on unarmored flesh, each round causes 1d2 SDC damage (deep, painful bruising, mostly). However, the compounds will only have a 30% chance of sufficiently attaching to flesh or soft cloth armor to bind a target. It is designed to attach itself to hard armor joint corners.

There are two versions of this round. The first is a round that can be used as a heavy pistol or light rifle round. This is designed for man-sized targets (anything from 3' tall to powered armors in the 8-9' variety). The second is a vehicle-sized weapon, firing a gyroc on the scale of a 40mm Grenade round. This weapon is capable of binding a joint on anything up to 25' tall robots. While the volume may seem too small to properly affect the area described, the initial reaction is more akin to a rapidly expanding foam sealant.

In either case, the solution will last for a full 30 minutes upon exposure to oxygen before oxidizing into dust. Alternatively, a blast of 20 SD worth of electrical damage will destabilze the TPR enough to get it to release; the person bound by the TPR is actually insulated from that damage. Any damage over that 20 is inflicted on whomever is bound.

TPR Compound can also be placed into capsules in order to temporarily stick two items together.

I originally designed this for a Rifts campaign, but I figure that it would be good for use against heavy robots and those dinks in the ridiculous amounts of armor.

I like this. Very nice.

Question: How would it affect someone if fired at the face? Is it fluidic enough to get in a nose or seep into a mouth and expand? Should it happen to hit someone in the face and block off the nasal and mouth, is it breathable?
wyrmraker
Hero

NMI wrote:

I like this. Very nice.

Question: How would it affect someone if fired at the face? Is it fluidic enough to get in a nose or seep into a mouth and expand? Should it happen to hit someone in the face and block off the nasal and mouth, is it breathable?

In theory it might. But since it's specifically designed to bind onto hard surfaces such as armor, it's pretty unlikely that it would bind to flesh (30% chance, as listed). Since it's meant to be used on heavily armoured units, using it on someone without armor is kind of pointless.

Comparatively, it's about as safe to get shot in the face with this stuff as it would be to take a rubber bullet in the face, or a sandbag round to the head.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

wyrmraker wrote:
NMI wrote:

I like this. Very nice.

In theory it might. But since it's specifically designed to bind onto hard surfaces such as armor, it's pretty unlikely that it would bind to flesh (30% chance, as listed). Since it's meant to be used on heavily armoured units, using it on someone without armor is kind of pointless.

Comparatively, it's about as safe to get shot in the face with this stuff as it would be to take a rubber bullet in the face, or a sandbag round to the head.

True, but it is liquidy in nature and then expands and solidifies -- potentially could be fatal if the stuff got in the mouth. Even if it didn't bond to the flesh, it could block passage ways in/out of the mouth and nose.
wyrmraker
Hero

NMI wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:
NMI wrote:

I like this. Very nice.

True, but it is liquidy in nature and then expands and solidifies -- potentially could be fatal if the stuff got in the mouth. Even if it didn't bond to the flesh, it could block passage ways in/out of the mouth and nose.

Like I said, it's a Specific-Use round. A SWAT team wouldn't use Frag grenades on protestors, and these rounds wouldn't be used on average bank robbers. They're designed to disable robots and the like. If people are using this stuff on unarmored individuals, then they are in for a world of legal problems.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

wyrmraker wrote:Like I said, it's a Specific-Use round. A SWAT team wouldn't use Frag grenades on protestors, and these rounds wouldn't be used on average bank robbers. They're designed to disable robots and the like. If people are using this stuff on unarmored individuals, then they are in for a world of legal problems.
You may intend it to be such in your game, but by posting it on the boards you basically allow it to be used how someone else might see fit. In my game, most likely this would wind up on the black market and a criminal would use it just as Nimmy says. There is no limiting use of a weapon in that instance.
wyrmraker
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:Like I said, it's a Specific-Use round. A SWAT team wouldn't use Frag grenades on protestors, and these rounds wouldn't be used on average bank robbers. They're designed to disable robots and the like. If people are using this stuff on unarmored individuals, then they are in for a world of legal problems.
You may intend it to be such in your game, but by posting it on the boards you basically allow it to be used how someone else might see fit. In my game, most likely this would wind up on the black market and a criminal would use it just as Nimmy says. There is no limiting use of a weapon in that instance.

I'm not disagreeing at all. But it's a lot like modifying a gun from semi to fully automatic. The gun manufacturers aren't responsible for what happens to their product once it leaves their hands. And whoever manufactures the TPR Compound wouldn't be, either.

Is it possible to drown someone with the TPR Compund? Sure. Just like it's possible to kill someone with a Taser, or give someone a lethal concussion with a rubber bullet. The fact that it's designed for a particular set of circumstances in no way accounts for user error, or deliberate misuse. That becomes an in-game consequence of misuse, whether it's by the law enforcement agency that uses it incorrectly, or a criminal who rapid-fires it and encases a police car, suffocating the officers within.
wyrmraker
Hero

Muscle Maximizer
Using electrical stimulation, this set of what appears to be thermal underwear will increase a user's physical performance to the upper limit of unaugmented human capability.

Physical Prowess and Speed are temporarily augmented to 30. Physical Strength becomes Extraordinary (can carry 100x PS, lift 200x PS). PE is unchanged.

Note that the body will take damage. Pushing the human body like this, even for short durations, is exhausting work. The body will tire at twice the normal rate. Also, it will do 1D4 damage direct to Hit Points for every five minutes active. This reflects the ways in which the suit will push the body in ways that it was never meant to be pushed.

Individuals with higher stats than these will gain no benefit from the suit.
taalismn
Priest

wyrmraker wrote:Muscle Maximizer
Using electrical stimulation, this set of what appears to be thermal underwear will increase a user's physical performance to the upper limit of unaugmented human capability.

Physical Prowess and Speed are temporarily augmented to 30. Physical Strength becomes Extraordinary (can carry 100x PS, lift 200x PS). PE is unchanged.

Note that the body will take damage. Pushing the human body like this, even for short durations, is exhausting work. The body will tire at twice the normal rate. Also, it will do 1D4 damage direct to Hit Points for every five minutes active. This reflects the ways in which the suit will push the body in ways that it was never meant to be pushed.

Does it afford any additional physical protection to the wearer? Or rather, how much damage can the suit take before its benefits are zilched? Might it be possible for the amped wearer to accidentally do enough damage to himself, say, punching out a rhino or a truck, that he accidentally shorts out the suit(because parts of it were crushed between his fist and the target)?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
wyrmraker
Hero

taalismn wrote:

Does it afford any additional physical protection to the wearer? Or rather, how much damage can the suit take before its benefits are zilched? Might it be possible for the amped wearer to accidentally do enough damage to himself, say, punching out a rhino or a truck, that he accidentally shorts out the suit(because parts of it were crushed between his fist and the target)?

Probably no protection. I would wear this underneath of armor. And I would say that about 25 SDC of damage would put it out of condition. That's after the SDC of the armor was defeated.

And since it directly stimulates the musculature, it wouldn't be subject to incidental damage.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

wyrmraker wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Probably no protection. I would wear this underneath of armor. And I would say that about 25 SDC of damage would put it out of condition. That's after the SDC of the armor was defeated.

And since it directly stimulates the musculature, it wouldn't be subject to incidental damage.
It could potentially be considered exceptionally vulnerable to electricity and the device and/or the user via conductivity, could take an extra 25-50% electrical damage.
wyrmraker
Hero

NMI wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:
taalismn wrote:

It could potentially be considered exceptionally vulnerable to electricity and the device and/or the user via conductivity, could take an extra 25-50% electrical damage.

I disagree that it would make the body any more conductive, since the electrodes only work by targeting very specific points on the body for stimulation. If they were implanted electrodes with leads that came through the skin, I could see the possibility of increased damage.

On the same path, Cyborgs should be following those rule of being more susceptible to electricity, but they're not because the rules say so (and not because of physics).
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

sign language translator!
basically a device that translates sign language into the vocal/written equilivant!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

Reposted from the MDC 'Rifts Dimension Books', 'Tools of the Trade' thread.:
Post subject: Re: Tools of the tradePosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:31 pm

Sign Vocalator
This handy device converts sign language into vocalizations, allowing beings who do not possess the power of speech to communicate effectively with beings who do not understand sign langauge. Worn on the chest, the small disk/medallion-shaped device uses a combination short range laser scan and motion detection system(familiar to anybody who’s used a Wii), to track limb movements and translate them into synthesized speech. Much faster than keyboarding phrases.
Cost: 200 credits/800 dollars
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Cost: The HTG has appeared on the black markets for 2 million U.S. dollars or more.

I like the idea but it might be more entertaining if the guns only affect inanimate materials- that way think of all the fun you can have teleporting away a superheroes' gear (or uniform) and then fleeing while they stand there dumbfounded (or, hopefully, trying to cover themselves...). This would then require an Analytical Genius, Natural Genius, or Super Inventor to create devices that immunize their gear (or at the very least their costumes, to protect Secret IDs and all that).
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

While the intention of using these devices on armored individuals is clear, I did have a thought- if shot at the ground at a target's feet, would they not expand and entrap the target, similar to a Carpet of Adhesion spell? Would allow for them to still be used as anti-riot rounds by police/military against even unarmoured targets.
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

The Giggler’s Bag of Tricks:
All of these inventions were seized with the incarceration of the insane (though not homicidal) criminal-prankster known as The Giggler (AKA Simon DuMerais), an Analytical Genius who turned his imagination towards ways to make the world less “boring” (the word he used when asked by prison psychiatrists why he had taken to a life of crime). All are themed around various forms of toys or prank items and non are inherently lethal- he was known for being a relatively non-violent criminal who used his attack items more for self defense than in an attempt to kill- although they would still be dangerous when used against non-superhuman targets.

The Wo-Yo: This modified Yo-Yo design can be used for a number of effects- attack, entrapment, distraction, and just plain amusement. A skilled user (one who has had at least a week or two to practice with it) can use it for the attack and entrapment effects but only someone who has truly mastered the art of the Yo-Yo can fully utilize it to perform amazing tricks!

Used as an attack, the Wo-Yo can be treated as a normal object of this kind except that with its wire line and weighted end it does 3d6 damage to any target struck by it. The line has a maximum attack range of 6ft. and a skilled user can automatically bring the weighted end back after the attack (those not trained in the Yo-Yo will need to use a melee action to retrieve and re-wind the wire onto the end).

If used to entrap a target, the attacker must be within 2ft. of the intended victim and once used in this way, the Wo-Yo is lost to the attacker. When ‘whipped’ around a target, the line will hold the target with a PS of 30 and the target is held until they either work their way out of the line (1d4 minutes), break the line (30 SDC damage to snap) or use intangibility or other super powers/skills to escape the item (can be escaped in one melee round by those who are double-jointed or trained escape artists).

If used to do Yo-Yo tricks, treat as a normal Yo-yo, but a truly gifted user can possibly wow their (likely captive) audience with an Awe Factor of 10.

Not-So-Silly String: This canister of normal-looking silly string contains a special formula liquid adhesive that comes out looking like normal silly string but entraps those targeted within a glop of hardened chemical adhesive that requires a superhuman PS of 30 or higher to break out of (or can be cut through/etc.- has 40 SDC per glop). Each shot can be used to entangle a single target within 10ft. or 2 shots can be used to cover an area the size of a doorway (but this requires 3 melee actions to perform). Each can contains 10 shots and the chemical is highly flammable- takes x2 damage from flame attacks but if fire attacks are used on the stuff while a target is glopped up that target takes normal fire damage as well as having a 01-65% chance to be covered in the burning chemical and continue to take 2d6 fire damage for 1d6 melee rounds or until the flames are extinguished.

The Joy-Less Buzzer: Looking like a normal novelty joy buzzer, this item sends a powerful jolt of Direct Current into the target, causing their muscles to look up temporarily. Range is limited to touch and the effect does 2d6 damage to the target as well as requiring a 16 or less roll vs. muscle lock (PE bonuses apply to save)- those who fail are effectively nearly paralyzed and can barely move, Spd is 10% of normal, they are reduced to 1 melee attack/action and are -10 to all combat rolls (skill use is -80%) for 16 melee rounds. Those who save vs. Muscle Lock are -2 melee attacks and -3 to all combat rolls (and sore) for the same duration. Those who are resistant or immune to electrical attacks are obviously unaffected. The Joy-Less Buzzer has a micro generator with enough capacity for 3 charges and recovers one charge every 10 minutes.

Gas Balloons: When The Giggler comes calling with a handful of balloons, you can never be sure which are normal and which are these specially prepared balloons that, when popped, release a cloud of knock-out gas in a 10ft. area (save vs. Non-Lethal poison or be rendered unconscious for 1d10 minutes. Be careful holding them though- they have 2 SDC and any attack that pops them will release the gas inside.

Lolli-POPS!: The Giggler likes to run up to unsuspecting heroes or police unaware of his MO and hand them these items, which appear as normal lollipops until he either remote-detonates them or after 10 seconds, whichever he has set them for. The Lollipop itself is made of a special type of shaped explosive compound that does 3d6 damage to anyone holding the lollipop and has a 01-70% chance of knocking anyone under 300lbs. off their feet due to the concussion of the blast (-10% to chance per 50lbs. of weight over 300)- target knocked back 1d6 feet and loses Initiative and 2 melee attacks shaking off the blast.

The Argh-Horn: Although it appears to be a normal squeeze-bulb bike horn this item produces a powerful sonic blast that deafens and potentially harms the target. Range limited to 6ft. and if target is aware of this device’s effects and has Initiative then they can attempt to cover their ears with their hands. Otherwise, they are deafened for 1d6 melee rounds (-1 melee attack and -6 to all combat rolls) plus take 2d6 damage- double the damage/duration to those with enhanced senses of hearing. Those who cover their ears take the normal damage but are deafened for only 1 melee round. Those with sonic powers or immune to sonic effects are unaffected.
taalismn
Priest

Twisted, fbdaury, twisted but fun.
I can readily see these reverse-engineered and snapped up by tricksters, crazy heros/villains, and Ludicrous Mages across the Megaverse.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
wyrmraker
Hero

fbdaury wrote:

While the intention of using these devices on armored individuals is clear, I did have a thought- if shot at the ground at a target's feet, would they not expand and entrap the target, similar to a Carpet of Adhesion spell? Would allow for them to still be used as anti-riot rounds by police/military against even unarmoured targets.

It could be used for that, sure. It actually hearken's to the round's original creation as an alchemical version of Carpet of Adhesion and Mystic Net.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I hope nobody minds this very late addition. I don’t think I’ve seen these in HU, but I could be wrong.

Nano Multi-Tool

Basically a Spacer’s Tool for HU. A nanite/nanotech version of the traditional multi-tool, one compact unit can provide any basic hand tool a mechanic would need. Other special features are a laser range finder, laser torch (1d4, 1d6, 2d6), small vibroblade, and high intensity flashlight. Battery good for hundreds of tool changes, 20 hours of flashlight, 20 turns of the laser torch, or 30 turns of the vibroblade. $300,000

Universal Skeleton Key

Made of similar nanites to those found in the Multi-Tool, this oversized fob works as a universal skeleton key in any mechanical key style lock. Basically, metal nanites reform the key to fit any lock. Any straight mechanical lock is unlocked in one action. More complicated locks such as car keys with RF chips take 1d4x10 seconds. If the original car key with a RF chip can be provided (say lifted from a pocket) the Universal Skeleton Key can copy the original in 10 seconds. 10 patterns can be stored this way.
$300,000

Taser Rounds

Modified pistol round (9mm or larger) containing a miniaturized contact taser inside the round. Range and capacity are the same as the base pistol. Follows the pretty much the same rules as the Handheld Stunner and Stun Pistol/Blaster on page 215 of the GM Guide, with the addition of one hit provides -8, multiple hits provide a -10. You can play with needing a specially modified pistol to fire the Taser Round, or allow them to be fired from an unmodified weapon.

I meant these to be a Hardware Character build, so I wasn’t so worried about cost. Say $100 a bullet and $1,000 to modify a pistol if you go that route?

Edit: Raised the price on the first two items significantly. If a character is a Hardware Genius using nanites I would drop the price to half, or even less.
Last edited by RockJock on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

RockJock wrote:I hope nobody minds this very late addition. I don’t think I’ve seen these in HU, but I could be wrong.

Nano Multi-Tool

Basically a Spacer’s Tool for HU. A nanite/nanotech version of the traditional multi-tool, one compact unit can provide any basic hand tool a mechanic would need. Other special features are a laser range finder, laser torch (1d4, 1d6, 2d6), small vibroblade, and high intensity flashlight. Battery good for hundreds of tool changes, 20 hours of flashlight, 20 turns of the laser torch, or 30 turns of the vibroblade. $30,000

Universal Skeleton Key

Made of similar nanites to those found in the Multi-Tool, this oversized fob works as a universal skeleton key in any mechanical key style lock. Basically, metal nanites reform the key to fit any lock. Any straight mechanical lock is unlocked in one action. More complicated locks such as car keys with RF chips take 1d4x10 seconds. If the original car key with a RF chip can be provided (say lifted from a pocket) the Universal Skelton Key can copy the original in 10 seconds. 10 patterns can be stored this way.
$30,000

Taser Rounds

Modified pistol round (9mm or larger) containing a miniaturized contact taser inside the round. Range and capacity are the same as the base pistol. Follows the pretty much the same rules as the Handheld Stunner and Stun Pistol/Blaster on page 215 of the GM Guide, with the addition of one hit provides -8, multiple hits provide a -10. You can play with needing a specially modified pistol to fire the Taser Round, or allow them to be fired from an unmodified weapon.

I meant these to be a Hardware Character build, so I wasn’t so worried about cost. Say $100 a bullet and $1,000 to modify a pistol if you go that route?
The prices seem a little low for nanobots.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I was going on the basis of what it costs the Hardware Expert to build them. I was basing on the pricing of the laser mini tool being 15k. I just relooked and the e-clip was 15k, so I will raise the nanites accordingly.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
pad300
Wanderer

Unread post by pad300 »

Ok, this is a device invented by a Natural Genius, not a hardware character. He had, among other things, a strong focus/skill in psychology…

The Autohypnotizer: A biofeedback enabled autohypnosis system, this was developed to enable a natural genius to pre-program himself to enable instantaneous (no APM used) combat trances (normally this takes 1 melee round). It can be used to enable instant drop into other trance states as well, but combat trance was the initial (and key) objective. It works like this: 1) The user programs in the mental trigger phrase and image he wants to use (This is what he has to bring to mind to trigger the trance. For example he could chose the phrase chocolate chip cookies, and the image of a purple elephant.) 2) He uses the autohypnotizer’s VR system and biofeedback sensors into a hypnotic state, 3) The user then brings himself to the trance state he wants to trigger, in the process burning 2 rounds off the duration of the trance state, as 4) the device programs him with his chosen trigger. 5) He then drops out of both the trance state and the hypnosis, able to trigger it’s recurrence by simply envisioning the combined trigger phrase and image.

Effects: Allows the user to assume a pre-programmed trance state instantaneously (no attacks per melee used). Establishing such a pre-programmed trance state costs 1) 2 melee rounds off the normal duration limit of the trance, and 2) One of the user’s uses of said trance state each day.

Market Cost: Not for sale
Cost to construct : $4000 (computer hardware has gotten really cheap - you can get a vr headset (Occulus Rift) for under $600...)
eoptap
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by eoptap »

So I wonder when the official Hardware Unlimited being played at the open house. Will any of the ideas in this post make it into a rifter or the book itself. Will a release date finally be announced for Hardware Unlimited?
eoptap
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by eoptap »

Biomechanical computers........anyone else looked into a hardware character focused on building biomechanical computers, exoskeletons, robots and power armour? I liked the muscle suit posted was hoping stuff like that would be Hardware Unlimited.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”