Younger players

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ProfessorFate
Megaversal® Ambassador

Younger players

Unread post by ProfessorFate »

Hello fellow gms.
I'm facing a bit of a conundrum. I've got a group of willing first time gamers, which is normally not a problem. Their age range is from 9 to 12. I've been playing/running rpgs since I was 12 myself, so over 25 years. After all these years my style has definitely become more dark and mature, which isn't generally a good topic with the younglings. Any advice people can provide would be greatly appreciated.
A hollywood marriage is succesful if it lasts longer than milk.
Prysus
Champion

Re: Younger players

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I responded already in the PF thread that sidetracked into this question (because I checked the PF forums first), but for anyone else who comes by and sees this question ... link!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=143123

I don't have experience on the subject myself, but I can direct you to those that do. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

I have been roleplaying for 27years and now find myself GMing a group of my children's friends ranging from 7-9. My advice is to play rules light if they aren't laughing or getting excited about something scrap it. Stick to themes they see in the movies. It will help them visualize. Keep the sessions short and mostly one off type of scenarios. So far we have played three sessions and they are already saying: 20 for strikes? percent for rolls; freaking out over natural 20's and power punches. Introduce rules slowly and remain consistent. Oh! one more thing. DO NOT role play something they know more about than you do. Hendrick gave me that nugget. such good advice.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Outside of play ask them what they imagine doing in rifts.

Then do it.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”