The group i am running had a question about new skills

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TiekoSora
Explorer
Comment: I've made my saving throw to disbelieve.

Re: The group i am running had a question about new skills

Unread post by TiekoSora »

The thought that you can't learn new skills always bothered me. Take my real life for example. I focused on music in high school and early college, but made a shift into restaurant management. A few years later I was being trained as an Infantryman. While in the Army, I graduated Airborne School, Air Assault School, Mountain Warfare School, Cold Weather Survival courses, Jungle Warfare School, did EIB training and testing every year, and one year I even passed the Expert Field Medics testing. I also served in the roles of rifleman, assistant machinegunner, machinegunner, radio operator, unit commo chief, fireteam leader, and squad leader (though in HQ platoon, so it was more an admin position because of rank).

Since leaving the Army, I learned how to handle safely, radioactive pharmaceuticals. I have learned how to install tile flooring (the justice building in Syracuse, NY, is the last job I did). I worked a factory making car parts, and I worked in residential care for developmentally disabled adults. In the last two years, I have been working in environmental chemistry.

In my campaigns, I always leave room for being convinced a player needs something. Be it character creation, a class or role not normally found in that setting, or the learning of new skills not normally accessible to their chosen class as they progress. Of course the decision to allow gaining of new skills is totally on you, and I urge you to think it through before you approve. Consider possible ramifications it could have, and impose whatever limitations you see fit. Most of all, have fun, and good luck with it.
They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.

Return to “Dead Reign™”