Survival Guide text Dark Conversions influenced != Nightbane

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Survival Guide text Dark Conversions influenced != Nightbane

Unread post by Tor »

What the heck is with this writeup saying that Nightbane are normal humans born of normal human parents? I thought that the original Carella series was explicit about Spawn/Bane being orphans with unclear parentage who just show up and get adopted and stuff.

Makes me wonder... anyone actually pick up any recent reprints of the main Nightbane book and notice if any shadow retconning is being done to this text to correspond with the rewrite of the RCC in Dark Conversions and Survival Guide?

Also does not calling Survival Guide "World Book 5" essentially mean that we'll never get any more 'world books' because they don't want to make another world book 4 to confuse with Shadows of Light, yet don't want to number it WB5 since that acknowledges a 4?

I kind of wondered if that was part of why Manhunters was an un-numbered dimension book (I think everyone tends to call it DB0 even though it came out after Wormwood) although it doesn't really explain why the "Rifts Dimension Book" HotM didn't get a number. I get if DB9 is being reserved for UWW but they shoulda called it DB15 or something, there's still time.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Survival Guide text Dark Conversions influenced != Night

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Tor wrote:What the heck is with this writeup saying that Nightbane are normal humans born of normal human parents? I thought that the original Carella series was explicit about Spawn/Bane being orphans with unclear parentage who just show up and get adopted and stuff.

Kevin made the explicit decision to retcon Nightbane into being born of normal humans. You are correct on the origional nightbane in Carella's veiw, but Carella is long gone from the company. NSB was intended to change what nightbane cannonically are.

and no, it's not "There were nightbane in Carella's version, but now some are humans too". The authors have publically stated "It is retconned that they were always this"

Makes me wonder... anyone actually pick up any recent reprints of the main Nightbane book and notice if any shadow retconning is being done to this text to correspond with the rewrite of the RCC in Dark Conversions and Survival Guide?

Of course not. Palladium rarely does that sort of thing.

Also does not calling Survival Guide "World Book 5" essentially mean that we'll never get any more 'world books' because they don't want to make another world book 4 to confuse with Shadows of Light, yet don't want to number it WB5 since that acknowledges a 4?

No, they have discussed future world books. NSG is not a world book because, ah, it's not a world book. world books cover specific regions/parts of the setting, NSG was a broad look at the setting as a whole, and thus, wasn't called a world book because it's not a world book. if anything, it's more of a supplementary book to the core.

I kind of wondered if that was part of why Manhunters was an un-numbered dimension book (I think everyone tends to call it DB0 even though it came out after Wormwood) although it doesn't really explain why the "Rifts Dimension Book" HotM didn't get a number. I get if DB9 is being reserved for UWW but they shoulda called it DB15 or something, there's still time.

This is the wrong forum for this question, but the short answer is, no one knows.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nightbane already have "the Becoming".

I am hereby instating another stage called "the Denial". Which will obviously never be printed, but makes total sense...

The Nightspawn identify with the humanity they were raised by. They want to believe they are human, just changed humans. They were not spawned from this Nightlands... no, of course not. That would make them... aliens or something! No... they are heroes. Natives of Earth. The Nightlands invaded Earth... and invaded them. They reacted as antibodies... BANES of the Darkness.

No, the darkness never spawned them... they became it's bane.

THE DENIAL.

Of course "The Watcher" may tell us of a third stage called 'The Awakening' or 'The Acceptance' relating to making peace with what you really are and where you come from....

So if they make future world books do you think they'll start with 5?

One other way of avoidance might be to start making nightbane 'dimension books' like Rifts has. Heck, you could argue the WBs so far basically ARE dimension books (Astral/Dream; Nightlands; Mirror Wall; Void-Tophet)
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Let's not try to **** off McFarlane THAT much. Even though it's feasible people could perceive Nightlands as a hell (it resembles some of the PF gods' domains more than it does Hades though) if we need to affix 'born' or 'spawn' to a realm, we should at least pick an alternate name than 'hell' to go with.

I'm thinking "Voispawn", personally. Nightlands is totally like Vald-Tegor's realm. Possibly also Tolmet's.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Ah, it's a surname, cool. Good for fancruft though I doubt we'd see a term popularized in print if Palladium couldn't copyright it and put it on a book cover. Albeit "Barbies" and "Kens" got used, so maybe within a book...

McFarlane would still make a go for it though, it's how he is.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

Are the changes really that bad? What difference does it really make if they are called Nightbane or Nightspawn? What does it matter if they were born of human parents or just appeared out of thin air as an infant?

Simple fact... things change. The Superman we know of in comics is nothing like he was when he was first created... he has gone through many changes and retcons to become the iconic hero that he is. Some of those changes were done and then undone... and many objected to some of them... but ultimately, the changes were (for the most part) for the better.

The same thing applies here. The changes may be a little difficult to accept now, but in the long run they are probably for the best... even if they are different from what the original creator intended.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Rappanui wrote:5. It does away with the wanderer diaries and establishes a wrong canon where Nightbanes are humans instead of Reborn Reshapers.

I don't think it does away with them. It just adds more 'apocryphal ancient stories' (not that getting rid of yet ANOTHER mary sue book of history is a bad thing in my opinion)
How do you have a 'wrong canon' though? Since by default...canon is correct? Especially since it was never canon that 'banes WERE Reshapers? (yes, yes I know that C.J. is reputed to have said that was the intent, but it was never actually put in any book, so...its not canon)

As for the rest....yah its, yet another, reboot for the series...
Seems that pretty much every book has revised how things worked, why should this be any different :D
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Razorwing wrote:Are the changes really that bad?
It's a subjective issue people differ on... but yeah, I think so.

Razorwing wrote:What difference does it really make if they are called Nightbane or Nightspawn?
The latter acknowledges that they are beings spawned from the Nightlands and relates to their mysterious history with the Ancient civilization, the Formless Ones and the Reshapers.

Razorwing wrote:What does it matter if they were born of human parents or just appeared out of thin air as an infant?
The first cements them too heavily in our world, the second keeps them properly alienated, even if they never knew it.

Razorwing wrote:Simple fact... things change. The Superman we know of in comics is nothing like he was when he was first created... he has gone through many changes and retcons to become the iconic hero that he is. Some of those changes were done and then undone... and many objected to some of them... but ultimately, the changes were (for the most part) for the better.
Incorrect, the original Superman hasn't changed at all. Instead, we have been introduced to multiple new Supermen who exist in entirely different realities.

Much as there is "Kal-El" of earth 1 and "Kal-L" of earth 2, distinguishing the original concept from the new concept using different terms helps keep the ideas separate. I don't even mind if there's similar abilities. If psionics in CB1revised can emulate the original chi powers, then humans can emulate Nightbane. Heck, they could already do that as Shadow Warlocks, this is just taking it a step further.

The convenient mistake early on in Dark Conversions of calling Nightlands "the Darklands" gives us the easy option of calling these new humans who emulate Nightbane almost exactly "the Darkbane".

Since "spawn" twists Todd's knickers, we can use something like "the Nightborn" to reflect the original concept.

This way they can coexist, those born from the Nightlands, those humans reacting to become banes of the Dark.

Rappanui wrote:rules that Cap or half bonuses for a low end game.
Those rules sucked, luckily they're more like suggestions, and GMs always had the power to mess with stats... so meh.

Rappanui wrote:It is full of more bad Nightlord mythology where princes can become nightlords (NO, never, and Not in my game or Will I play in game that does that)
Well... Night Princes are a step above mortals, and if a mortal sorcerer can become a Nightlord I don't have a huge problem with a Night prince doing so (or a Night Princess becoming a Night Lady). The biggest hole in this idea which I think occurs to most of us is that, if Lords were former Princes, why do they lack the illusion powers? Or, if Princes were forming sorcerers, an intermediate step between Sorcerer and Nightlord, why do they lack spellcasting if even some Nightlords remember it?

All I can figure is we could say that Princedom is like some intermediary step, where you must think of the world purely in term of illusions, not practising normal magic, and eventually through this you somehow gain the ability to alter reality directly as if it were an illusion. Once you gain that revelation, you lose your illusion powers, but are then able to do some limited spellcasting again.

Rappanui wrote:it Negates the nightbane mystic and Sorceror or Other kind of Affiliation as being an OCC choice unless your morphus seems to grant bonuses in it.
I kinda missed out on this detail, would anyone know what pages are critical to read to understand the change differences in NB sorcerer/mystic OCCs?

Rappanui wrote:5. It does away with the wanderer diaries and establishes a wrong canon where Nightbanes are humans instead of Reborn Reshapers.

It doesn't so much do away with them as contradict them, I would say. Wanderer diaries were never canon, they were writings which could be interpreted as mere opinion. I think there are some actual canon statements that are contradicted though. Moreso by Dark Conversions (which explicitly says NB are human) than by Survival Guide (which only declares this in an opinion piece written by some loser NB who sucks compared to Wanderer).

I can discount the claims in Survival Guide the same way I can discount that weird writeup about Lilith/Moloch history at the start of Shadows of Light, since both are written in Story Form.

Stuff like that is fun, but much like an Erin Tarn letter, we can throw it out if it conflicts with narrator canon.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Rappanui wrote:the Magog love story in NSB .. the She was a native american princess? huh???? the nightlords originate in Pre History 10,000 BCE Style Era, Pre Deluvian Civilization. Why would banes only appear after visiting the new world?

I prefer that Nightprinces are merely pawns who originate in the nightlands who only came into existance when the nightlords did....Shaped out of ideals and egoes of mortals who almost became Nightlords (perhaps they are failed nightlords... Bad people who lacked the magical knowhow to do the final step).

however, the nightprince being a young nightlord was also proposed in shallows of night...
which was a lazy, (IMO) stupid take when it's clearly the Night prince they mentioned is a NIGHTLORD not a prince.

As for Nightlords... there is alot of information (real world) on "atlantis" (the Preflood human empires) based on the myths/legends. It's Sad that this work was not consulted by future freelancers instead they stole from White wolf and horror movie mythology over and over.

it would of been better to link the real world atlantis mythology into Nightbane setting... there's certainly enough information out there to work a nice setting and nice segue to the Sumerian Nightlords that rule today. For example, the Tunisians of today are the last descendants of the real atlantis, according to mythology, but these were the ones behind the pellopinisian wars. (also, the ones related to the ones who built the pyramids). (As it stands, Atlantis fell in 3 stages, the 3rd stagers were the bronze age war like people the greeks fought, the First stagers being the ones who landed across various shores of the americas and established various Pyramid societies. one of the stagers (i believe it was 2nd or 1st) was known to have "talking beasts" and could do things no others could ... ( perhaps these Survivors were the basis of the euro-asian Gods).

Meh, I think Atlantis has been done to death. As long as your going to make something mythological real...why not pick something that HASNT been done in every game? There is a LOT of mythology out there to plunder for ideas.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Perhaps we plunder the Sumerian/Babylonian stuff in Pantheons? I want to see Nightlord vs Demon Lilith.

Rappanui wrote:the Magog love story in NSB .. the She was a native american princess? huh???? the nightlords originate in Pre History 10,000 BCE Style Era, Pre Deluvian Civilization. Why would banes only appear after visiting the new world?

Rappanui wrote:I prefer that Nightprinces are merely pawns who originate in the nightlands who only came into existance when the nightlords did....Shaped out of ideals and egoes of mortals who almost became Nightlords (perhaps they are failed nightlords... Bad people who lacked the magical knowhow to do the final step).
This works too. They may even share a history with those demons introduced in Nightlands who have the same powers. TBH I just don't have a good imagination for coming up with alternate backgrounds, but having the Princes being their own fallen people is pretty neat.

Rappanui wrote:the nightprince being a young nightlord was also proposed in shallows of night...which was a lazy, (IMO) stupid take when it's clearly the Night prince they mentioned is a NIGHTLORD not a prince.
Was that in a canonical way or just 'here's our cool opening athanathos mythology' way?

I'm not opposed to NPs potentially becoming NLs but I think there's no guarantees, they might be strung along like the majority of sorcerers/cultists would be, as the Night Lords probably don't want any competition (much like Demon/Deevil Lords) and discourage people from rising in rank. If they need more management they can always make Avatars.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

What does Curious George have to do with Atlantis or Nightbane?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Rappanui wrote:The author kept calling him a prince of the city in the WOD fashion, despite having the abilities and powers and attributes of a nightlord.
Could just be semantics, Lilith might not mind being called Princess now and then.

Rappanui wrote:In NSG the Nightprince thinks he can become a nightlord.
and nobody ever gave an underling false hopes :D
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

Not to derail this thread too much, but my analogy to Superman's evolution over the years is quite accurate.

When first concieved, his powers were very limited... mostly to super strength which allowed him to lift a car, run fast and leap about 1/8 mile. He also had dense flesh that couldn't be pirced by anything less than an artilery shell. There was no vision based powers and he wasn't from another planet yet (though he was a foundling). Even his signature costume was based on the circus performer costumes of the late 19th early 20th centuries.

It wasn't until the very first animated series that he recieved his first power boost... the ability to actually fly... which was followed by other boosts to his powers, including god-like strength, his vision powers and more. Not all the powers he was given were kept... and even those he was given were eventually scaled back so that writers could provide him with realistic challenges. All of these changes to the character are what we call "retcons" as they changed the character's abilities after he already been given them. Even the source of his power has evolved from being soully based on his Kryptonian herritage, to being based on Krypton's enviroment to now being based on a combination of Kryptonian herritage and Earth's Enviroment (including Earth's Yellow sun). Even his infamous vulnerability to Kryptonite was a retcon introduced many years later... and that too has been changed many times to include many different types that affect him in different ways and then back to a single type.

Yes, the core of the character is now fairly stable, with few retcons to his abilities... but they were there in the early years of his creation. In fact, the very original concept had him as a villain with mental powers... though that was never expanded upon past one story in 1933.

So what does this have to do with Nightbane? Concepts change and evolve as new writers deal with the problems of the original concept and add their own ideas to the mix. Carella may have had his own ideas as to what the Nightbane would eventually be, but that what may have been is irrelivant.

When I hear the name Nightspwan, I don't see the connection to the Nightland, the Reshapers or anything noble about these beings. To me that name suggest a monster or demon created by the night to plague humanity... a being just as monsterous and dangerous as the vampires and Nightlords themselves. In fact, with that name I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out they were created by the Nightlords... who else but the Lords of the Night would create the Spawn of the Night? No... the name Nightbane suits them far better as most fight the creatures of the Night that plague humanity... creatures that are more suited to being called Nightspawn than the Nightbane.

As for being born of humans, I see this as a better method for how so many potential Nightbane could have been alive durring Dark Day. Fewer than ten thousand had Become before that incident... and then there was a sudden population explosion... so much so that those alive before hand were overwhelmed at the numbers... and that wasn't even all the potential Nightbane. We are talking about hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of Nightbane around the world (still a small number compared to the billions of humans). The idea that so many people had just spontaneously appeared as infants years before with no one noticing or questioning their appearance (and no investigations) seems to be stretching plausability a bit too far for me.

That said, I do like the idea that Nightbane are connected to the Formless Ones (still not sure if the Reshapers are the same thing). However, instead of being spontaneously formed as originally concieved (and now retconed), I see it more as reincarnation... the soul of a Formless One being born into the body of a human child (yes... used the same idea from Babylon 5's Membari souls being born in human bodies... the Babylonian connection was too sweet not to hint at). This satisfies both the original concept of a connection to the Formless One's and the retcon that Nightbane are now born to human parents... and is not readily provable by any conventional means in the setting.

As for the various stories and ideas within the setting (The Wanderer Diaries, the Tomb of the First)... they are merely suggestions... myths clouded by time that may or may not reveal anything about the origins of the Nightbane (they aren't meant to be anything more than that in my opinion).
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rappanui wrote:
13eowulf wrote:What does Curious George have to do with Atlantis or Nightbane?

the king of yellow is an important figure in atlantean mythology. they have several dieties, Such as those Deities they found around santorini and Crete.

I will get the book I read this in a few minutes. ah... right .. i guess I mis read... The king of Yellow is Kulkulkan, the creator of the Mayan Empire.
anyway, the book is Encyclopedia of Atlantis, written by joseph Frank, published in 2005.

After some fast forward reading in the book : 1st Stage Atlantis had 1. Space travel, Air travel, Transformable ships, Talking beasts, and a City that was tethered (Space elevator) to the sky... One day it got struck by a "Shooting star" and the city caused global destruction...If anyone noticed, the "Ring of fire" is almost an unbroken line of Fissures that do not really resemble natural formations.
..but after that flood, they settled more and more islands and lands... and lost much of their technology. It also said that the early atlantians were "immortal" .... With various kingdoms setup in Africa, Asia, Europe, Americas...
the Mu Civilization being survivors of later Volcanic apolcalypses ( perhaps they tapped geothermal power for their Steam /bronze age technology,...)..

That Said, Mythologically, it includes a Number of Gods who originate from Atlantis, Sehkmet, Viracocha, Bast, Ra, Poseidon, Atlas, Kulkulkan...
It seems rife for Rifts CB 2 Merger.

Atlantean mythology? You mean the myths of and about Atlanits? Atlantis falls under Greek Mythology, being first mentioned by Plato....
Oderint Dum Metuant.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rappanui wrote:Sorry, It's not First plato, and stop repeating that like it's the truth. Keirias is just ONE version. (Atlantis) is a civilization that has existed in many eras, in diffirent forms, so plato's version is merely the one that was most recent.

What on earth are you going on about? And I will thank you to not order me around, especially when the current accredited sources do in fact line up with my statement.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rappanui wrote:.. why so many people defend bad writing? just because it's one of the first new books in a long while, doesn't mean it needs to be put on a pedestal and defended from all comers.

Bad Writing? You mean those of a neo-nazi pedophile without a degree to his name?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Collin
Oderint Dum Metuant.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rappanui wrote:What, You expect the ancient world to be Ethno Neutral and Politically correct? Read the book and stop complaining about who wrote it.

I read plenty. But the works of a convicted pedophile wont be on that list. And espousing those works while using a pen name to conceal the identity of the author is terrible, especially here, on an all-ages forum.
Further on top of the pedophilia, and the neo-nazi-ism, the author has ZERO credibility, attempting to hold his works up as something Palladium should incorporate into their games is ludicrous. It is perhaps one of the worst things they could do.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Rappanui wrote:What, You expect the ancient world to be Ethno Neutral and Politically correct? Read the book and stop complaining about who wrote it.

Does the author of the book have any credentials though to BE writing a book? Especially if his book presumes to challenge all the other prevailing theories about history that happen to have scholastic backing? Or is he a pop culture new age author with no fact checking?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantis is a good basic primer on Atlantis for starters

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rappanui wrote:He Collates the various atlantis legends. Somehow that is a crime. "history" wants to remove any scifi elements because it would NOT fit. quit beinga NWO stooge.

You know Scifi means science FICTION, right? I for one am ok with accredited HISTORIANS weeding out FICTION from HISTORY.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rappanui wrote:lol. Atlantis isn't settled Science, *snip*.

Atlantis isnt a science at all. It is a Myth. And while there is a Science of Mythology, it isnt what you mentioned here.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Rappanui wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Rappanui wrote:He Collates the various atlantis legends. Somehow that is a crime. "history" wants to remove any scifi elements because it would NOT fit. quit beinga NWO stooge.

You know Scifi means science FICTION, right? I for one am ok with accredited HISTORIANS weeding out FICTION from HISTORY.

historians are hardly experts on mythology, they only work on things they can dig up from the ground and read, they pay no headance to oral traditions or histories, esp. today. One Quack getting involved can destroy a historical record by distorting it with their own religious hubris, such as when the "missing link" became common use when debating evolution with people who do not believe in it.

Do you know the difference between Historian, Archeologist, Anthropologist, Paleontologist, and the other 'ist' specialties?
Historians don't dig anything up, and most paleontologists don't read much of their subjects materials.
That said, the point of having some sort of accreditation of credentials is to avoid what you talk about. You need to make sure that the people who are espousing theories are qualified to know what they are talking about, and that the evidence they are presenting is actually valid evidence that means what they say it means. Otherwise you get psudeoscience/junk science where people claim things that are not true, or assert their own beliefs as having validity.

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rappanui wrote:as for his past criminal record, and Neo nazi past, So what? people still watch woody allen and that other guy's movies who are pedophiles.
as for Palladium, they already have a bad reputation for promoting Right wing Hate and bad stereotypes amongst rpg fans.
Including the concepts from yet another neopagan Writer is not going to change their reputation for the worst. Rifts already includes objectionable material for Politically correct types such as the xenophobic single party totalitarian Coalition states and various forms of evil, that well, fans of Scifi EXPECt to find in a setting. nobody said RPgs were politically correct (except Phil Brucatto, who destroyed White Wolf's Mage the Ascension) and if you actually read the books, you'd see alot of mine-able material.

If you are referring to Rowan Polanski I dont actually watch his movies, none of them.

The idea of the coalition states is a FAR CRY from supporting and incorporating the unaccredited works of a convicted pedophile. They are not comparable, not in any way. It is laughable to try.

You refer to a 'bad reputation'. That is all the more reason to NOT get involved with this guy's works, not a reason TO do so.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rappanui wrote:
13eowulf wrote:

historians are hardly experts on mythology, they only work on things they can dig up from the ground and read, they pay no headance to oral traditions or histories, esp. today. One Quack getting involved can destroy a historical record by distorting it with their own religious hubris, such as when the "missing link" became common use when debating evolution with people who do not believe in it.

Well actually most Historians are well versed in mythology, and being able to tell it apart from History. It is part of that whole History expertise thing they have going on, you know, as accredited authorities on the subject.

As for your reference to a quack distorting things with their own hubris...... That is funny. Probably not in the way intended, but funny.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

While this has been an interesting read the use of fallacies to discredit the man's book really doesn't help, whether or not someone is a pedophile or neo-nazi has no bearing on the quality and accuracy of his work. 'He's a pedophile so his work must be wrong' reasoning just won't cut it, a more valid complaint is proof of lack of experience or previous low quality or untrustworthy works. One however does not need credentials or a degree to research something and publish a paper or book on the subject nor does having credentials mean your work is somehow automatically superior or better than someone who doesn't have them. History is littered with people who proved the people with the degrees wrong while not having degrees themselves.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:While this has been an interesting read the use of fallacies to discredit the man's book really doesn't help, whether or not someone is a pedophile or neo-nazi has no bearing on the quality and accuracy of his work. 'He's a pedophile so his work must be wrong' reasoning just won't cut it, a more valid complaint is proof of lack of experience or previous low quality or untrustworthy works. One however does not need credentials or a degree to research something and publish a paper or book on the subject nor does having credentials mean your work is somehow automatically superior or better than someone who doesn't have them. History is littered with people who proved the people with the degrees wrong while not having degrees themselves.

If a persons book is going to be promoted as being accurate, AND as being more accurate than the 'conventional' history. Then I would say that the burden of proof of the validity of the book, and the credentials of the author are on the promoter.
Being a neopagan, a pedophile or an (ex)Nazi all have the same bearing on those credentials, none. But the converse is also true, there are, as far as I know, no proposed credentials that validate the author as a definitive source. With out that we can't really use him as a basis for declaring that Atlantis existed, that there is a single version of the mythology/history that is accurate, nor that such a history should be the basis of any works that reference Atlantis, let alone a fictional one that is already presupposing that our 'real world' history is WRONG.

Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

eliakon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:While this has been an interesting read the use of fallacies to discredit the man's book really doesn't help, whether or not someone is a pedophile or neo-nazi has no bearing on the quality and accuracy of his work. 'He's a pedophile so his work must be wrong' reasoning just won't cut it, a more valid complaint is proof of lack of experience or previous low quality or untrustworthy works. One however does not need credentials or a degree to research something and publish a paper or book on the subject nor does having credentials mean your work is somehow automatically superior or better than someone who doesn't have them. History is littered with people who proved the people with the degrees wrong while not having degrees themselves.

If a persons book is going to be promoted as being accurate, AND as being more accurate than the 'conventional' history. Then I would say that the burden of proof of the validity of the book, and the credentials of the author are on the promoter.
Being a neopagan, a pedophile or an (ex)Nazi all have the same bearing on those credentials, none. But the converse is also true, there are, as far as I know, no proposed credentials that validate the author as a definitive source. With out that we can't really use him as a basis for declaring that Atlantis existed, that there is a single version of the mythology/history that is accurate, nor that such a history should be the basis of any works that reference Atlantis, let alone a fictional one that is already presupposing that our 'real world' history is WRONG.

I can certainly accept that, although if he's presenting his theory of what's 'right' it's as valid as any other given we don't know what 'right' is (other than obviously fantastic theories that require implausible things be accepted as facts).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Guys... the double/triple posts... please stop. It's REALLY hard to read.

Also I think any further discussion about Collins/Polanski might be more appropriate for Sound Off than here? It's one thing to discuss works, but to go into discussing authors is beyond the scope.

I would think regardless of what people's opinions are though, that both are too recent for their works to be public domain and as such could not be freely incorporated without worrying about copyright issues.

Rappanui wrote:the king of yellow is an important figure in atlantean mythology. they have several dieties, Such as those Deities they found around santorini and Crete.
Reminds me that I need to finish the last few episodes to True Detective. Do you think this inspired Steven King's "Crimson King" to some degree?

Also you just made CG very grimdark for me bro.

Rappanui wrote:Mythologically, it includes a Number of Gods who originate from Atlantis, Sehkmet, Viracocha, Bast, Ra, Poseidon, Atlas, Kulkulkan... It seems rife for Rifts CB 2 Merger.

I thought Bast+Ra+Sehkmet were Egypian, Atlas+Poseidon were Greek, Viracocha was Inca, and the Kukulcan we have in the Aztecs. Did not know there was this Pantheon overlap. Would be interesting to have some kind of 'Atlantis alliance' between various members of Pantheons for mysterious reasons.

Kind of reminds me of Marvel's Illuminati, how single members of various factions conspire to manipulate events even though they're members of their own respective groups.

Razorwing wrote:Not to derail this thread too much, but my analogy to Superman's evolution over the years is quite accurate.

When first concieved, his powers were very limited... mostly to super strength which allowed him to lift a car, run fast and leap about 1/8 mile. He also had dense flesh that couldn't be pirced by anything less than an artilery shell. There was no vision based powers and he wasn't from another planet yet (though he was a foundling). Even his signature costume was based on the circus performer costumes of the late 19th early 20th centuries.

It wasn't until the very first animated series that he recieved his first power boost... the ability to actually fly... which was followed by other boosts to his powers, including god-like strength, his vision powers and more. Not all the powers he was given were kept... and even those he was given were eventually scaled back so that writers could provide him with realistic challenges. All of these changes to the character are what we call "retcons" as they changed the character's abilities after he already been given them. Even the source of his power has evolved from being soully based on his Kryptonian herritage, to being based on Krypton's enviroment to now being based on a combination of Kryptonian herritage and Earth's Enviroment (including Earth's Yellow sun). Even his infamous vulnerability to Kryptonite was a retcon introduced many years later... and that too has been changed many times to include many different types that affect him in different ways and then back to a single type.

Yes, the core of the character is now fairly stable, with few retcons to his abilities... but they were there in the early years of his creation. In fact, the very original concept had him as a villain with mental powers... though that was never expanded upon past one story in 1933.

Yes, and if you take a gander at the DC comics wiki, it clearly explains that these are Supermen existing in DIFFERENT UNIVERSES. Some of which were wiped out. Which does happen (just ask the Nightlords)

Razorwing wrote:So what does this have to do with Nightbane? Concepts change and evolve as new writers deal with the problems of the original concept and add their own ideas to the mix. Carella may have had his own ideas as to what the Nightbane would eventually be, but that what may have been is irrelivant.
Yeah... no.

You don't just get to declare Carella's work irrelevant.

His vision doesn't limit new works of Nightbane, but his will always be relevant. The 'first superman', so to speak. Could a newer Nightbane be potentially better known or more popular? Sure, but comparisons will still be made, and history won't change.

Razorwing wrote:When I hear the name Nightspwan, I don't see the connection to the Nightland, the Reshapers or anything noble about these beings. To me that name suggest a monster or demon created by the night to plague humanity... a being just as monsterous and dangerous as the vampires and Nightlords themselves.
Well that's just silly. It only suggests this because you view the Night and the Nightlands as evil things, because that's all 'Night' implies. 'Spawn' simply means 'offspring', there's nothing sinister about it. McFarlane's was sinister because it was short for HELL spawn, and it was the 'hell' that made it sinister.

The 'Night'lands only seem sinister because we associate them with the Lords and Princes who include 'Night' in their titles. But that is a conquerered title, and their realm is a conquered land. The Nightlords are human sorcerers from earth who invaded and conquered that land, just as they are doing to ours.

Razorwing wrote:In fact, with that name I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out they were created by the Nightlords... who else but the Lords of the Night would create the Spawn of the Night?
And this shows you haven't familiarized yourself too deeply with the canon...

Razorwing wrote:No... the name Nightbane suits them far better as most fight the creatures of the Night that plague humanity... creatures that are more suited to being called Nightspawn than the Nightbane.

I really don't know how to counter this... it's contra-indicated man. The Nightbane, if we call them that, should really be 'The Night-born who are the Bane of Evil" rather than "Bane of Night". Their history is tied to the Nightlands far before the Ba'al ever went there and dubbed themselves Nightlords.

Night != evil. Ugly != evil. That's the core concept of the RPG, that you get turned into monsters. Not all Nightbane are good, either. The core concept is not that you're an inherent evil-fighter. It's that you're inherently inhuman and linked to the Nightlands you can cross over into.

Nightbane don't Mirrorwalk spontaneously so that they can fight invaders from an alien dimension, they Mirrorwalk so they can RETURN HOME.

Razorwing wrote:As for being born of humans, I see this as a better method for how so many potential Nightbane could have been alive durring Dark Day. Fewer than ten thousand had Become before that incident... and then there was a sudden population explosion... so much so that those alive before hand were overwhelmed at the numbers... and that wasn't even all the potential Nightbane. We are talking about hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of Nightbane around the world (still a small number compared to the billions of humans). The idea that so many people had just spontaneously appeared as infants years before with no one noticing or questioning their appearance (and no investigations) seems to be stretching plausability a bit too far for me.

That's because you're not taking Latents into account.

Nightbane have always been appearing like this, but most of them have been Latents who don't awaken. So there was a number of them already in place to have Becomings.

As for why the large numbers and why people did not question or notice them: many did. You had recruiting organizations, elder Nightbane searching them out, sorcerers covering them up or enslaving them, Seekers, etc. They were coping, because the Latent>Awakened turnover was happening slowly at its usual rate, until Dark Day.

Another issue is that it's not entirely clear if they all appeared as babies, or if they appeared while older, like Dopplegangers or Reformed Demons, already having some level of maturity.

The world has runaways who don't get identified, people who might be assumed to have run from an abusive home, that's an example of how Nightbane could be taken in.

Razorwing wrote:That said, I do like the idea that Nightbane are connected to the Formless Ones (still not sure if the Reshapers are the same thing). However, instead of being spontaneously formed as originally concieved (and now retconed), I see it more as reincarnation... the soul of a Formless One being born into the body of a human child (yes... used the same idea from Babylon 5's Membari souls being born in human bodies... the Babylonian connection was too sweet not to hint at). This satisfies both the original concept of a connection to the Formless One's and the retcon that Nightbane are now born to human parents... and is not readily provable by any conventional means in the setting.
It connects Nightbane to humans in a way that the original RPG did not, I don't like that unnecessary deviation.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Just to play devils advocate Tor (And I am personally not a fan of the nightbane are born from humans either). but why is a nightbane-human connection a bad thing. after all, their facades before the becoming are Human, some morphus forms are extremely human-like, although eerie in a too-perfect kind of way, and the text we are given implys that the form the morphus take is very heavily dependant on psycological and to a degree physiological issues of this time in a human form. This does imply that if the formless ones were not human, there was some kind of connection between them, otherwise why would they choose human form to reincarante as. for that matter, why reincarante on earth at all instead of the nightlands? You can argue that saying they are a human subsecies is unnecessary with some accuracy, but some kind of connection was always implicit in the mechanics of the setting.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Play nice everyone!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rappanui wrote:Alright.. I'm going to address the parts I involved.
1 the king of yellow was a misread i had, but it seems there were at least 7 "gods" in the atlantean Mythology. There were also more then one "Atlantis". in the book he details how Homer was part of one, and Plato Described another. Various North americna Tribes had their own legends as well, as well as the Pacific islanders and such.
in the Main Mythology Atlas was the Major Deity. He had Seven Daughters, Who were real people, and were "Queens" of the Atlantis Empire (which consisted of many islands and countries). However, When this empire fell, they resettled in many places, North America, South America, North Africa, Mediteranean, and the Pacific. They were all singular Survivors, who were more advanced then those around them, and taught them mathematics, architecture, etc. Many arrived by boat, or some other vessel, or "serpent/ Sea Animal. Later on, The other survivors moved to Mediteranean to conquer and rebuild their lost empire. This kingdom is what led to platos' tale of Keirias and all the other Currently known Atlantis mythology
Later Findings were found in the tombs of King Ramses the III and a few other pharoahs, which detailed some of the more epic feats.

Among the Civilizations said to have been founded by the Atlantis colonists: Rome, Greece, Mayan, Formorough, Celtic ( ireland was split among 3 Civilizations, Pre Anglo) - Formorough were behind the Formori Legends, and the author goes on about how they were turned into gods via legend. Many kings, queens, were turned into Mythological Gods or Creatures, and some kingdoms, particularly those in the pacific, were never beyond Bronze Age in technology.

Lovely work of fiction there, trying to merge a bunch of different mythologies into one.
Sadly there is literally no credible evidence to source this info from (not to mention some of the inaccuracies contained in the above).
Presenting wild yarns as fact is harmful to everyone, and disruptive to these forums. I would thank you to stop until you have a credible source to reference.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
jreece06
Wanderer

Unread post by jreece06 »

So, this is the thread of misfit theory?

I would like to put forward that the world is actually a gull stone lodged uncomfortable in a giant's urethra. Ancient people agree with me, so there.
There once was a dragon named Ernie... who was very special ;)
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Just to play devils advocate Tor (And I am personally not a fan of the nightbane are born from humans either). but why is a nightbane-human connection a bad thing. after all, their facades before the becoming are Human, some morphus forms are extremely human-like, although eerie in a too-perfect kind of way
This is entirely situation. Carella made it clear that the Morphus could take the shape of other races besides human, so long as they weren't supernatural. As to why the morphus can retain human qualities, that's because it reflects the subconscious and many people do think of themselves as human and retain that form to varying degrees.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:the text we are given implys that the form the morphus take is very heavily dependant on psycological and to a degree physiological issues of this time in a human form. This does imply that if the formless ones were not human, there was some kind of connection between them, otherwise why would they choose human form to reincarante as.
Humans are the dominant species of the planet, the species the Nightlords came from, and merging with their society is the best way to learn skills to fight them. Nightbane puppies wouldn't be as useful.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:why reincarante on earth at all instead of the nightlands?
To have a chance to survive. There are more humans to blend in with, humans are weaker and less of a threat to Latent Nightbane (dopplegangers are tougher, have supernatural strength, there are fewer, etc) and it wasn't conquered like the Nightlands was.

Also, if Nightbane are manifesting human form at a younger age than that at which Dopplegangers tend to appear, they would stand out and be targetable.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:some kind of connection was always implicit in the mechanics of the setting.
Yes, the connection is that humans are the dominant species and masquerading as them is the most advantageous.

Rappanui wrote:there were at least 7 "gods" in the atlantean Mythology. in the Main Mythology Atlas was the Major Deity. He had Seven Daughters

What is the first document to express these '7 gods' and '7 daughters' ideas? When is this document's estimated creation date? Who discovered it? What peers have received it? I am all for incorporating actual history, which would be in the public domain, but would first like to verify that this is not a recent work, as that could cause problems with the 'no conversion' policy, if it is recent enough to be a copyright idea and not a publicly owned historical fact.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Rappanui wrote:Persuasive physical evidence for the sunken realm came to in 1985 off the coast of Yonaguni, a remote Japanese island, when divers found the ruins of a large ceremonial building that sank beneath the sea perhaps as long ago as 12,000 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonaguni

So...this book claims its a 12,000 year old building. The rest of the scientific world thinks its a 3,000 year old natural process.

So already, in just the first 'blurb' you have presented as fact something that no one else who has studied this believes to be true. This is especially relevant if the author is to be believed in any OTHER context.

Rappanui wrote:And no comprehensive investigation of this kind can ignore the “life-readings” of
Edgar Cayce, America’s “Sleeping Prophet,” during the first half of the 20th century. His vision of Atlantis, still controversial, is nonetheless compelling and, if true, insightful and revealing. Cayce’s testimony is unique, because he spoke less of theories andhistory, than of individual human beings, and the high drama they lived as players on the stage of the Atlantean world.
[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Cayce
I would not consider a claimed prophet who has had many of his 'visions' thoroughly debunked as a good source either

So, it would seem Tor, that this book would NOT be a good source for Atlantian Mythology for game writing, as it is of modern origin, and thus would not be available under public domain.
It might be interesting for individual GMs who want to incorporate the idea of Atlantis as a prehistorical super science/magic/psychic civilization that had close ties with the gods and are the origins of all human life on earth.

jreece06
Wanderer

ok, im just going to say it. "Atlantis", as in the ancient advanced civilization with flight and space travel, did not exist. There is no evidence besides legend that say it existed. There is less evidence of this "civilization" than there is of Paleolithic mankind.

That's right, apparently people capable of space travel left NO RECORD of themselves... but the guys who hit slow animals with rocks decided "draw this" on some walls.

Why is this even a conversation adults are having?
jreece06
Wanderer

I dont know what "science" you mean... 95% of scientists (low ball) hold with the theory of evolution. This theory includes the age of the earth being in the billions.

Homoerectus was not 3000 years ago, it was around 1.9 million years ago (earliest fossils)

So, even your own post proves your post is wrong. Stop please, before I leap in front of a trolly.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Rappanui wrote:1. Stop Attacking the Quote as If I wrote the damn thing, Those are his words. Stop attacking the author.

I am not attacking the author here, I was attacking the quotes that he wrote by calling into question his academic honesty. When an author says that something is truth, then chalanging it and saying 'no its not' is not a personal attack

Rappanui wrote:2. There will always be debunking by scientists.

Debunking means dispelling falsehood.

Rappanui wrote:3. There is no debunking the scifi elements contained in Hindu texts.

A claim of an event in a religious text is not the same as saying that said event actually occurred. I am not aware of any VERIFIABLE claims from Hindu texts.

Rappanui wrote:4. all your wikipediaing and Asking for science to ...

is a bunch of crap. Scientists won't even admit humans were around more then 3000 years ago, in fear of offending religious fanatics. Despite, --- digging up Civilizations older then previously thought possible. They'd sooner attribute that to Homo erectus, or Caveman, or what ever.

Errrr its not SCIENCE that doesn't want history to be more than 3,000 years old (BTW Creationists claim the earth is less than 10,000 years old. Science puts it a 4.5billion, with mankind evolving around 2.3 million years ago.)
Please do not put words in peoples mouths. Science claims mankind is ancient. Science claims that civilization evolved in specific ways, and looks to the evidence much of it hundreds of thousands of years old.

Rappanui wrote:5. There is a Large conspiracy by radical Christians to Verify the bible events as true and accurate and falsifications have occured, all to prop their world view. This started back in 2001 and continues on today. Such as the Aleged "tomb of christ" found in jerusalem. The radical Christian answer to that " that's not christ's tomb, because he rose from the dead and ascended into heaven. "
They distort, destroy, and warp historical records and archeological records all in the name of their holy text. Now, mind you, other religions do this to, but christianity is the only one most at odds with technology, progress, and giving up control over "belief".

The actions of Christian Fundamentalists to deny science has no bearing on anything. The fact that they deny science does not some how mean that science is wrong.

The basic premise of those of us that are questioning this is simple
Claims of truth need to have facts to back them up. Such claims can not be based on feelings, nor wishes. They can not dismiss any evidence that counters them.
Myths are not facts.
Conjecture is not fact.
Evidence is facts.
Those who make a claim that the status quo is wrong are the people that need to support their claim with evidence.
I have tried to show the evidence that the common anthropological community has. It is easy to find this on Wikipedia as it was explicitly designed to allow that. Those footnotes at the bottom of articles are the citations and references.

jreece06
Wanderer

I never said it did. I was trying to educate you on what SCIENCE was when you made an ignorant claim that scientists wont argue the age of the earth.

Also, the Atlantis Mythology is just that. Mythology. As accurate and reliable as all myth... that is to say, not at all.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Rapp, your triple-posting hurts me.
Rappanui wrote:as for his sources, they include a plethora of books, legends, ... Homer wrote about Atlantis when he was describing Phaerecia, and Similarities are put together.
Legends are written in books, books have titles, as do Homer's writings. Presumably any older works like this used for research would be listed in a bibliography. Was hoping to get something specific. If the association of cross-pantheon deities predates the 1900s for example, it'd probably be okay to include it.

jreece06 wrote:"Atlantis", as in the ancient advanced civilization with flight and space travel, did not exist. There is no evidence besides legend that say it existed.
Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. Although I see no compelling reason to believe it existed, I also see no compelling reason to declare it didn't. Nor do I see a compelling reason to dispute the existence of leprechauns. Hypothetical things whose powers exceed our own are kinda pointless to try and falsify.

jreece06 wrote:That's right, apparently people capable of space travel left NO RECORD of themselves... but the guys who hit slow animals with rocks decided "draw this" on some walls. Why is this even a conversation adults are having?
I'm indulging it because Rapp is mentioning something about friendships between guys in Pantheons who never met each other, which sounds cool, and could be incorporated if it's pre-1900s theory instead of recent cultish fiction.

As for your caveman comparison: evidence wipeout conspiracy :)

Rappanui wrote:1. Stop Attacking the Quote as If I wrote the damn thing, Those are his words. Stop attacking the author.
Do you mean start attacking the author?

Rappanui wrote:2. There will always be debunking by scientists.
...what are you arguing by saying this?

Rappanui wrote:3. There is no debunking the scifi elements contained in Hindu texts. (Such as the Indian towns that seemingly have evidence of having had nuclear strikes occur there in their past as evidenced by current samples).
I think it presumptuous to declare something undebunkable, surely theories could be offered on how close texts are to modern science and how legitimate those texts are.

Rappanui wrote:4. all your wikipediaing and Asking for science to ... is a bunch of crap.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Rappanui wrote:If a legend says " A man came from the mouth of a foaming serpent wearing a whale bone headress", Then that's what the LEGEND says. The only way to Debunk the Legend is to either correct it or explain away what it might mean, in a world sans supernatural events.
Actually, one way to debunk such a legend is to analyze where a legend allegedly comes from and verify or falsify claims regarding the source.

For example if I wrote a fanfic of Pocahontas meeting Sora and her wielding a Keyblade based on playing Disney's Kingdom Hearts, and someone found this and presented it as ancient Native American legends, that is a legend which could be debunked regarding its context.

Rappanui wrote:Scientists won't even admit humans were around more then 3000 years ago, in fear of offending religious fanatics. Despite, --- digging up Civilizations older then previously thought possible. They'd sooner attribute that to Homo erectus, or Caveman, or what ever.
I'm not sure where you get this idea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_sapiens uses a 500 thousand (not 3) estimate of species divergence. Plus I hardly think referring to Homo Erectus is something scientists would do to avoid offending fanatics.

Rappanui wrote:5. There is a Large conspiracy by radical Christians to Verify the bible events as true and accurate and falsifications have occured, all to prop their world view. This started back in(in modern context, but has been going on since forever) 2001 and continues on today. Such as the Alleged "tomb of christ" found in jerusalem. The radical Christian answer to that " that's not christ's tomb, because he rose from the dead and ascended into heaven. "
Er, pretty sure something's still considered a tomb even if you rise from it. Case in point, the tomb of Tal Rasha. This seems to be getting off topic from learning more about the earlier sources of the Atlantean theories you've mentioned though.

Rappanui wrote:They distort, destroy, and warp historical records and archeological records all in the name of their holy text. Now, mind you, other religions do this to, but christianity is the only one most at odds with technology, progress, and giving up control over "belief".
Cool story bro, but this isn't getting us any closer to reading whatever source documents led to this whole 'Atlas and Viracocha were buds' thing I want to read about.

Rappanui wrote:Atlantis Mythology has Nothing to do with evolution, merely the advancement of Science when it was thought that there wasn't any.

Apparently this discussion of Atlantis myths has nothing to do with pointing us to some pre-1900s documents we can read about it? I mean heck, even if they're written in other languages, we could read a translation. Where be the dox?

Rappanui wrote:The WHOLE point of this thread shift was " Shifting mythology".. not to argue the Validity of the myths.
I'm not so much interested in validating the content of the myths so much as their source. I want to know if "Atlas + Viracocha = BFFS" is a 1990s idea or an 1890s idea.

Rappanui wrote:The only way you could ADD to this is to disprove his research, and not by saying " OH MY GOD HE IS A PEDOPHILE NAZI GAY PERSON WHO WROTE OBJECTIONABLE MATERIAL THAT HAS NOT BEEN PEEER REVIEWED"... When he never CLAIMS to be a scientist.
I'm not interested in the vices of the author, but what this research is based on. It is not the burden of people hearing these ideas to disprove them, it is the author's burden to prove the origins of his research. Or if a fan is claiming that an author did not concoct a connection, but was merely communicating a pre-existing one, those hearing this expect that relationship to be explained.

Peer review is not something solely for scientists. Basically it is to test claims. Like for example if an author wrote "Viracocha and Atlas were worshipped in the same shrine" they might refer to some hypothetical journal which talked about both of them found in a temple in the 1800s or something along those lines. The job of peer review would be to verify that such an artifact (journal) actually exists, to date its age, to accurately translate what it says (if in another language, which seems likely), etc.
jreece06
Wanderer

Umm, not quite. He makes claims that those myths are real. They are not. Deal with it.

I've never seen so many armchair Pagan Experts in my life!

Oh? I'm not sure about others, but I have a degree in Theology, which, believe it or not, covered pagan beliefs in depth.

If you can't come up with something better than "this crazy, unsourced bugger agrees with me" maybe you should rethink your point?

I don't care that he's a Nazi paedophile (ok, I care, but can put that aside)

I care that his work is moronic, lacking in evidence, or even a basic proper bibliography of sited works.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I think this one has diverted far enough from anything related to the original topic (Nightbane . . . remember it gang? It's the topic of the sub-forum you are posting on as well as the specific topic of this thread) and is generating far more heat than it is light at this point. Locked.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Nightbane®”