anti p.p.e

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

oger333
Explorer

anti p.p.e

Unread post by oger333 »

i head a thought for a magical bomb and started to think about anti matter . and how it explodes with it comes in contact with matter . so if there where anti-p.p.e would it destroy normal p.p.e . or if there could be other types of p.p.e ?
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: anti p.p.e

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

You could just make it up. I think that would work best. Like, when dropped onto a ley line or near a rift or nexus it consumes all the PPE in the area via a massive explosion. Or maybe there's no boom, it just drinks up all the magic in the area, leaving it a "low magic" zone for a number of minutes, hours, days...depending on the strength of the "bomb."
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

oger333 wrote:i head a thought for a magical bomb and started to think about anti matter . and how it explodes with it comes in contact with matter . so if there where anti-p.p.e would it destroy normal p.p.e . or if there could be other types of p.p.e ?

According to most PPE comes in one variety. an anit-PPE bomb would be interesting, the problem would be it would traval along the whole ley line and they do intersect. so one poorly (or if you hated mages properly) placed bomb and you could wipe out the worlds mages and ley lines in fell swoop.

Would br an interesting setting and concept..It gives me a few ideas.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

An "anti-PPE bomb" would not need a "MASIVE EXPLOSION" to detonate it. :roll:
The device would only need to set free the "A-PPE" for it come into effect with the PPE of an area.

But there are the questions....
Does Anti-PPE kill off all life with in the effect area?
(Since PPE is life. [no, I am not talking about the chemical reactions that support life, but the life itself.])
Or does it just effect the 'background' 'ambient' PPE?
Does the size of the Effect Area fluctuate due to the relative amount of PPE and/or life in the area?

Does a "Anti-PPE bomb" just push or suck all the PPE in the AoE away so it can't be used?
(The Mystic Knight Class has an example of a PPE sucking effect.)
[SpaceBalls' MegaMaid and a atmosphere.]

If A-PPE and PPE annihilate each other.....what is produced by the mutual annihilation event?
(i.e.: when matter and AM mutually annihilate each other the even produces energy.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Rimmerdal
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:An "anti-PPE bomb" would not need a "MASIVE EXPLOSION" to detonate it. :roll:
The device would only need to set free the "A-PPE" for it come into effect with the PPE of an area.

But there are the questions....
Does Anti-PPE kill off all life with in the effect area?
(Since PPE is life. [no, I am not talking about the chemical reactions that support life, but the life itself.])
Or does it just effect the 'background' 'ambient' PPE?
Does the size of the Effect Area fluctuate due to the relative amount of PPE and/or life in the area?

Does a "Anti-PPE bomb" just push or suck all the PPE in the AoE away so it can't be used?
(The Mystic Knight Class has an example of a PPE sucking effect.)
[SpaceBalls' MegaMaid and a atmosphere.]

If A-PPE and PPE annihilate each other.....what is produced by the mutual annihilation event?
(i.e.: when matter and AM mutually annihilate each other the even produces energy.)

Hmmm that inspires a thought or three..Drew, You are a genius....
taalismn wrote:

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Lots of worms once you open that can.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Rimmerdal
Knight

Thinyser wrote:Lots of worms once you open that can.

oh yeah..and don't drop that particular can on the wrong nexus either. You could take most of the mages on NA alone..and god knows how many if it landed on Atlantis..

So lets presume some idiot in the CS did make one...as the CS Where would drop it?

How about if you were the federation of magic? Psyscape? or any other faction..I know if I were the CS...the devils gate and Lazlo would be on my list of targets..
taalismn wrote:

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:An "anti-PPE bomb" would not need a "MASIVE EXPLOSION" to detonate it. :roll:

You roll your eyes, but sometimes you want a big explosion for no reason.

Plus i did say there doesn't need to be a boom. :bandit:
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by arouetta »

I wouldn't allow it. While the thought is creative, it ignores the very basic nature of magic. Based on how the books phrase things, magic is a type of energy, not a type of matter. And while there is matter and anti-matter, there is not energy and anti-energy. And one doesn't create, one simply converts from matter to energy or vice-versa. So anti-ppe would convert to matter. Which is what half the spells do anyway.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

There are anti electrons and I believe anti photons so yes there is anti energy. That said I probably wouldn't allow it either but not for lack of real world physics to base it on.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Rimmerdal
Knight

I'd not allow it on the grounds it would be way to dangerous to even make. not even the most insane CS types would want to make it. If I did allow the concept it would be a mission for all factions to destroy the device soon as one was started. Sort of like the Omega particle on star trek. Might have a world get destroyed by one for show though...just to keep players in line why they must be destroyed.

and it one the few things ALL factions of earth would agree on.
taalismn wrote:

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Alrik Vas wrote:

You roll your eyes, but sometimes you want a big explosion for no reason.

Plus i did say there doesn't need to be a boom. :bandit:

That was more of a knee jerk anti-munchkin comment. (yah, I skimmed your post.)
The basic concept was of a magic item that makes the PPE of the area "go away" somehow.
And magic items do not explode to set off an effect.

Yes, there are some that are 'consumed' by the effect they produce.
----------------------------
yep...I watch mythbusters and my fav expl. was the last cleaning a cement truck one.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Thinyser wrote:There are anti electrons and I believe anti photons so yes there is anti energy. That said I probably wouldn't allow it either but not for lack of real world physics to base it on.

That's not anti-energy, there can be only energy. Anti-matter when it strikes matter converts to energy, there is no such thing as an anti-energy that negates energy (at least not in any setting that holds to any pretense of the Law of Conservation of Matter and Energy).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:
Thinyser wrote:There are anti electrons and I believe anti photons so yes there is anti energy. That said I probably wouldn't allow it either but not for lack of real world physics to base it on.

That's not anti-energy, there can be only energy. Anti-matter when it strikes matter converts to energy, there is no such thing as an anti-energy that negates energy (at least not in any setting that holds to any pretense of the Law of Conservation of Matter and Energy).

Depends on what definitions of energy and what interpretations of the laws of physics you use. :D some current hypothesis DO have forms of 'anti-energy' (as well as some......creative interpretations of the laws of Thermodynamics)
That said, this is a game, not a Physics Thesis so playability and Dramatic Necessity will likely have more importance than discussions on high order physics.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

oger333 wrote:i head a thought for a magical bomb and started to think about anti matter . and how it explodes with it comes in contact with matter . so if there where anti-p.p.e would it destroy normal p.p.e . or if there could be other types of p.p.e ?

Funny you should ask that, there's actually a spell called "Anti"-magic cloud, which merely stops magic from working rather than destroy the "source" of that magic. Mechanically, you're just looking at an area-of-effect "effect" that would destroy all available p.p.e. (presumably targeting only living creatures and not TW devices and other objects containing p.p.e.) causing spell-casters to need to retreat and let their power regenerate normally.

Since a form of "Anti" magic already exists, explaining the existence of a power that is Anti "P.P.E." wouldn't be too far-fetched.

Rifter # 17 has a Dweomer Mage whose focus is on the manipulation of P.P.E. I suggest getting this source material if you're serious about creating this device, and look at a few of the ideas presented there.

Best of luck!
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
Rimmerdal
Knight

Syndicate wrote:

Funny you should ask that, there's actually a spell called "Anti"-magic cloud, which merely stops magic from working rather than destroy the "source" of that magic. Mechanically, you're just looking at an area-of-effect "effect" that would destroy all available p.p.e. (presumably targeting only living creatures and not TW devices and other objects containing p.p.e.) causing spell-casters to need to retreat and let their power regenerate normally.

Since a form of "Anti" magic already exists, explaining the existence of a power that is Anti "P.P.E." wouldn't be too far-fetched.

Rifter # 17 has a Dweomer Mage whose focus is on the manipulation of P.P.E. I suggest getting this source material if you're serious about creating this device, and look at a few of the ideas presented there.

Best of luck!

Hmmm a an anti-Magic cloud targeting the PPE of mages, items and ley lines. might be a good start. Sort of like a specialized version of a death spell.
taalismn wrote:

Nightmask
Palladin

Rimmerdal wrote:
Syndicate wrote:

Best of luck!

Hmmm a an anti-Magic cloud targeting the PPE of mages, items and ley lines. might be a good start. Sort of like a specialized version of a death spell.

Anti-Magic Cloud seems more like it simply disrupts magic, it doesn't give any appearance that it actually negates PPE.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Guardians from Nightbane, and Sea Inquisitors from Underseas both have abilities that could be easily described as "Anti-PPE" They can spend energy to remove PPE from a cast spell, if they remove enough PPE the spell fails.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmask
Palladin

eliakon wrote:Guardians from Nightbane, and Sea Inquisitors from Underseas both have abilities that could be easily described as "Anti-PPE" They can spend energy to remove PPE from a cast spell, if they remove enough PPE the spell fails.

I wouldn't class that as Anti-PPE, draining it off is just that, draining off PPE and dissipating it into the environment, you aren't destroying it.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:
eliakon wrote:Guardians from Nightbane, and Sea Inquisitors from Underseas both have abilities that could be easily described as "Anti-PPE" They can spend energy to remove PPE from a cast spell, if they remove enough PPE the spell fails.

I wouldn't class that as Anti-PPE, draining it off is just that, draining off PPE and dissipating it into the environment, you aren't destroying it.

Well since we don't know how the power is working it could be dissipate it, it could destroy it, it could transmute it into something else, or any number of options.
but it would fit the Nega-Psychic who (at least the BTS2 versions) uses 'negative PPE' to disrupt magic, again negating the PPE in the spell, causing weakness and failure.

A last tidbit is the Life Force Wizard from Mount Nimro, who no longer has PPE, but instead is some sort of inversion of the normal life energy....which is quite interesting since this is not necromancy or undeath, but some sort of 'other'

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”