Ideas for some excel sheets...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Daeglan
Adventurer

Ideas for some excel sheets...

Unread post by Daeglan »

I need someone who is good with excel. Because I think it would be helpful to have Some excel sheets for stuff in rifts.
For example a Vehicle design sheet would likely be useful.
A Community designer excel sheet would be helpful.
An organization design sheet would be helpful
A robot design sheet would be helpful :)

I just don't know excel well enough to do them. I can help though.
Check out my photography http://daeglan.imagekind.com
Daeglan
Adventurer

Re: Ideas for some excel sheets...

Unread post by Daeglan »

So no one willing to help me make this happen?
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Excel isn't that hard to use. The hard part is if there are things that are choices based on other choices.

But really - the worst for me, was layout. How to get it to look professional on the menu, and then the output. The next pain is the data input. It's doable, but time intensive.

And yes, I made a Robotech TSC character sheet that pretty much calculated everything. It's a pain.
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

Tiree wrote:Excel isn't that hard to use. The hard part is if there are things that are choices based on other choices.

But really - the worst for me, was layout. How to get it to look professional on the menu, and then the output. The next pain is the data input. It's doable, but time intensive.

And yes, I made a Robotech TSC character sheet that pretty much calculated everything. It's a pain.

Well I can do the data entry. And i don't think it will need any if then statements. And for most of this stuff outputting a stat block i think would be good enough. Just want to make things easier for GMs. And keeping a running tally along with outputting a stat block would be helpful. Speed up the math part as it were.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Daeglan wrote:
Tiree wrote:Excel isn't that hard to use. The hard part is if there are things that are choices based on other choices.

Well I can do the data entry. And i don't think it will need any if then statements. And for most of this stuff outputting a stat block i think would be good enough. Just want to make things easier for GMs. And keeping a running tally along with outputting a stat block would be helpful. Speed up the math part as it were.

I haven't done much work in Excel like this, but I have done something similar in Access. The more automation you are going to want, the more coding/formulas you are going to have to use. The only real way to avoid that would be to set it up to merely print a blank worksheet (in which case Palladium has most of the types you are looking for as PDF downloads on the cutting room floor section of their website in the various lines, the community thing being the one exception and I don't recall any official rules for Rifts on the matter, at least in the books I have).
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

All I want it to do is add up things.

These sheets are just the picking of options. and tallying totals. so I think excel will work fine. I just not sure how to do radio buttons or drop downs or how to have the result show up on a separate sheet for printing etc.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Daeglan wrote:All I want it to do is add up things.

These sheets are just the picking of options. and tallying totals. so I think excel will work fine. I just not sure how to do radio buttons or drop downs or how to have the result show up on a separate sheet for printing etc.

Personally I've always found Spreadsheets to be less optimal for this stuff than a database(s) as I have used MS Works and MS Office to do similar things in the past.

If you just want it to add things up, you really don't need radio buttons or drop downs or moved to a separate sheet for printing. All you really need to do is lay it out like you want, and do basic math formulas by leaving a few extra cell columns next to the entries. You'll end up with extra information when you print out, but it is the easiest way to do it without getting into coding.

If you are set on radio buttons or drop downs there is the HELP files you can check, those in my experience usually have examples you can work off of.

Return to “Rifts®”