Dark Day Date confusion

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Vidynn
Adventurer

Dark Day Date confusion

Unread post by Vidynn »

I hust started to read the rulesbook from cover to cover because we are going to start a new Nightbane-Campaign (the first after five years, yeah!) soon.

I noticed there is some confusion concerning the date of Dark Day (sorry if this came up already).

On page 11 of the rulesbook (RB) it is clearly stated that Dark Day occurred on March 6, 2000. But there are two passages that are obviously a mistake:

On page 7 of the RB the Wanderer says that it is "a year and a day" since Dark Day - the entry is dated May 8, 2001, which would make Dark Day May 7, 2000. This mistake is "supported" by RB pg 22 where it is said that some Seekers predicted Dark Day to happen in May 2000 (they did that six months prior to the invasion, as said in the text).

My guess is that those two paragraphs were simply overlooked in the final version, probably at one time Dark Day was supposed to happen in May, not March 2000.

There is another minor mistake in the RB when it comes to figures: On page 13 it is said Carson got 76% when he was re-elected, page 31 says 89%. Maybe someone at Palladium Books wants to correct this when Nightbane goes to the printer again.
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Dark Day Date confusion

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Vidynn wrote:I hust started to read the rulesbook from cover to cover because we are going to start a new Nightbane-Campaign (the first after five years, yeah!) soon.

I noticed there is some confusion concerning the date of Dark Day (sorry if this came up already).

On page 11 of the rulesbook (RB) it is clearly stated that Dark Day occurred on March 6, 2000. But there are two passages that are obviously a mistake:

On page 7 of the RB the Wanderer says that it is "a year and a day" since Dark Day - the entry is dated May 8, 2001, which would make Dark Day May 7, 2000. This mistake is "supported" by RB pg 22 where it is said that some Seekers predicted Dark Day to happen in May 2000 (they did that six months prior to the invasion, as said in the text). My guess is that those two paragraphs were simply overlooked in the final version, probably at one time Dark Day was supposed to happen in May, not March 2000.

Assuming that the entry was written on the same day it was published, you're right. Unfortunately one is left in the dark ( :D ) as to which is supposed to be the correct date, March 6th, or May 7th.

There is another minor mistake in the RB when it comes to figures: On page 13 it is said Carson got 76% when he was re-elected, page 31 says 89%. Maybe someone at Palladium Books wants to correct this when Nightbane goes to the printer again.

Yeah, alas, editors and proofreaders are not infallible. Heck, in my copy (ironically printed in March 2000), it still refers to Nightbane as Nightspawn on page 133. We'll have to remind Alex of these when the next printing rolls around.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Tinker, you're right, "date published" and "date written" need not to be the same. but with that other passage about May I still think, there was an error when it came to proof-reading. and yes, there are some "Nightspawns" in it too.
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

Denaes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Denaes »

Things get by the best of editors and at least in the past the Palladium editors were far from digilent. Even those are facts that are hard to catch without proofreaders (which I think palladium doesn't use?)

But if Rifts went for 13+ printings were 'Borgs couldn't get Cybernetics in favor of their natural abilities and incorrect autofire rules, I don't think they're going to fix slight things like this.
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Nerdbane wrote:Is that canon, or just your interpretation?

cannonal interpretation, since only one way or the other can be correct, and obviously mine is.
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

yes, May is a typo or left-over in both text-passages, I agree. My guess would be that it was to be May initially and for reasons unknown the author or an editor later changed it - but oversaw the two paragraphs where it is still May for Dark Day.

for the election results: it's always the re-election and it's always "popular vote", so one of the results is defenitely wrong (a proof-reading mistake).
an imaginative interpretation of those two figures could be, that the 76% are the true popular vote (of course, the people were misguided by the Nightlords-Media) and they bumped that up to 89% when announcing the result (maybe they found out that some of the counts - say, in Florida - werent correct and that votes had to be re-counted?) - the rulesbook mentions that at least part of the result in Carson's re-election was faked by the Nightlords and their minions.

Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

As for the Seeker prediction,I see no reason why their prediction couldn't have been off, hence the discrepency.

~Josh
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:It should be May, the date corresponds with the original date of Beltane, which, before being set to the beginning of May, was originally based off of when the Sun was at 15 degrees in the constellation Taurus, which generally happens about May 5-10.
It is supposed to be astronomically a time of heightened magical energy.

March 6, 2000, coincidentally, was my 21st birthday... Thanks for killing that for me :P
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:It should be May, the date corresponds with the original date of Beltane, which, before being set to the beginning of May, was originally based off of when the Sun was at 15 degrees in the constellation Taurus, which generally happens about May 5-10.

Eh, I'm running it as March. The heightened energy could have been due to a different celestial event. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Aluman wrote:
Warwolf wrote:

Eh, I'm running it as March. The heightened energy could have been due to a different celestial event. :)

I don't really know that there needed to be a celestial event on Earth plane, it could be since the Nightlords moved from the Nightlands, something in the Nightland cosmology.

Im telling you, it was me dammit. :D
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Aluman wrote:
asajosh wrote:
Aluman wrote:
Warwolf wrote:

I don't really know that there needed to be a celestial event on Earth plane, it could be since the Nightlords moved from the Nightlands, something in the Nightland cosmology.

Im telling you, it was me dammit. :D

Ahhh you are prophised child of darkness eh?

:quiet:
Carl

acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:As for the Seeker prediction,I see no reason why their prediction couldn't have been off, hence the discrepency.

~Josh
Which would certainly explain why the Seekers would think it would be May... and why they were wrong. :D
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Perhaps the so-called Wanderer's journal was actually written years in advance of Dark Day by the Seekers, and the dates are just lies?

It could have been written with the expectation that the "year ago" mention would be accurate to the Seeker's prediction.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Re:

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Aluman wrote:
Warwolf wrote:

Except they don't don't have any cosmology, their sky is completely empty("See that bit of endless darkness there? That's the Great Void, which of course, is right next to the Lesser Void and straight across from the Big Abyss, which you can always find sandwiched between the Dark Emptyness and the Huge Lack of Anything....").
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Nightbane®”