Do curses last after the spellcaster's death?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Do curses last after the spellcaster's death?

Unread post by Glistam »

A PC in our game got successfully tagged with a curse spell by an NPC caster. The NPC caster was successfully killed, and now the question remains: Does the curse end now that the caster has perished, or does it last for it's duration as written until a Remove Curse or some other remedy is used? Any book and page numbers that could be listed for reference, either way, would be greatly appreciated.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Re: Do curses last after the spellcaster's death?

Unread post by Grell »

I would rule that the curse remains either until the duration expires or some other remedy is applied.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Glistam wrote:A PC in our game got successfully tagged with a curse spell by an NPC caster. The NPC caster was successfully killed, and now the question remains: Does the curse end now that the caster has perished, or does it last for it's duration as written until a Remove Curse or some other remedy is used? Any book and page numbers that could be listed for reference, either way, would be greatly appreciated.

The offcial rules are clear: unless otherwise noted or made permanent, all spells instantly end when the caster dies. Death Curse is the only one that's clearly exempted, as it can only be used while the caster is dying.

Also, if TTGD rules are used, spells will sometimes become alive and manifest physical avatars, but that's kind of an exception.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

NS can you give us the location of the rules (spells ending w/spellcaster death) you are talking about?

Is asking because I do not remember seeing any such rules like that.

Thus, spells would just run up to the end of their duration and end then. The why you are stating it, it is like the spell-casters are maintaing the spells after they are cast. Which would run counter to the concept that spells are not maintained by the caster once they are cast by the put forth in the concept of the "Energize Spell" invocation (pg. 111 RBoM).
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:The offcial rules are clear: unless otherwise noted or made permanent, all spells instantly end when the caster dies. Death Curse is the only one that's clearly exempted, as it can only be used while the caster is dying.

Not to rush you, but it would be quite valuable if you could cite the Rifts book and page number where these "official rules" reside. Our next game is approaching fast and this will be an issue right from the start. Thanks.

wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Huh. I read through both RMB and RUE sections on magic, and nowhere does it make mention of a caster's death ending the duration of a spell. That doesn't mean it's not there, but that I am not seeing it. I, too, would like to know where this ruling is.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

wyrmraker wrote:Huh. I read through both RMB and RUE sections on magic, and nowhere does it make mention of a caster's death ending the duration of a spell. That doesn't mean it's not there, but that I am not seeing it. I, too, would like to know where this ruling is.

AFAIK there is no such rule.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I don't know which Curse, the G.M. hasn't revealed it yet because the P.C. hasn't felt its effects yet.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

"Does the curse end now that the caster has perished, or does it last for it's duration as written until a Remove Curse or some other remedy is used?"

According to my understanding of the text, curse spells work just like any other spell and lasts till the end of the duration. Unless a Remove Curse is successful in removing it or the spell-caster cancels it (if he can.)

Now if the GM made up his own curse spell for his/her NPC I would like you to get him/her to post it over in the invented magic topic in the magic & psi forum.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Eh, maybe it's mentioned in a non-Rifts palladium book, or somewhere really obscure. Makes more sense to me that once you've spent your PPE and cast your spell, it's out of the caster's hands so to speak, so the death of the caster shouldn't do anything.
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Eclipse wrote:Eh, maybe it's mentioned in a non-Rifts palladium book, or somewhere really obscure.
..snip

Which is why the polite 'where is it?' asking, that I started with.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

As a basic a rule I'd list a curse with no Duration permanent until cured or its ran its coarse if one was set at time of casting. and if I were in a bad mood any family like the son, daughter, wife or friends may well inherit the curse via that curses coming to life trick and 'haunting' them after the PC perishes (and if the mage was powerful enough to do it).

A remove curse spell, the curse bearer getting killed and a counter curse I would think count as reversals. The original caster of said curse getting killed or perishing will not remove a curse. It does mean you need to find a counter as the one who cast is the only real person who can remove it with out issues.

I sort of took the DC Universe approach to magic though so take the following as you will and we can debate it in a another thread if you want. Magic is tied to the caster and can only be turned on or off by him, So any spells or barriers he sets up can only be removed by their creator. Some spells do exist to counter and remove magic not your own but the magic saves as the person who originally made it happen.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:The offcial rules are clear: unless otherwise noted or made permanent, all spells instantly end when the caster dies.
Just to be clear, where is this noted? Just wondering where it got mentioned first.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:The offcial rules are clear: unless otherwise noted or made permanent, all spells instantly end when the caster dies.

Hmm I think you're making a mistake here. as far as Palladium Books go, there is no such rules :-? . Once gone the spell last indipendently from the spellcaster(using a TTGD analogy, they are temporary a living spiritual being so to speak). The only spells who could istantly end with the death of spellcaster, IMHO, are those noted so, and those that require direct interaction from the spellcaster(Like charismatic Aura as example)
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I could have sworn I read it in RUE, but I've checked twice and I can't find it. I'm certain it was somewhere, maybe TTGD or Mysteries of Magic. Oh well.

When I do run across it, I'll post it for you all. If I can't find it, perhaps it's just my imagination.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I am wondering if rather than generic rules there might be isolated mentions under some spells like "the only hope is to kill the caster" or something along those lines.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

I personally think that curses are much more effective when you can't "murder your way out of them" . . . heck the leaving your enemies alive is generally a bad idea if violence against you solves the problem.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Incriptus wrote:I personally think that curses are much more effective when you can't "murder your way out of them" . . . heck the leaving your enemies alive is generally a bad idea if violence against you solves the problem.

The African Witch is one of the cases of someone who inflicts curses that it explicitly makes it impossible to remove the curse if you kill the Witch, you HAVE to get it removed while the Witch is alive and hope no one else kills it in the meantime.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Nightmask wrote:
Incriptus wrote:I personally think that curses are much more effective when you can't "murder your way out of them" . . . heck the leaving your enemies alive is generally a bad idea if violence against you solves the problem.

The African Witch is one of the cases of someone who inflicts curses that it explicitly makes it impossible to remove the curse if you kill the Witch, you HAVE to get it removed while the Witch is alive and hope no one else kills it in the meantime.

and being hard to get rid of they should be difficult to cast as well. To prevent PC's from using 'Weaponized' curses to kill there enemies.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Rimmerdal wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

and being hard to get rid of they should be difficult to cast as well. To prevent PC's from using 'Weaponized' curses to kill there enemies.

Which is why those sorts tend to be restricted to NPC so the PC can't go around doing things like that.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:I could have sworn I read it in RUE, but I've checked twice and I can't find it. I'm certain it was somewhere, maybe TTGD or Mysteries of Magic. Oh well.

When I do run across it, I'll post it for you all. If I can't find it, perhaps it's just my imagination.

Maybe it's in a Q&A section of a Rifter. I remember reading something similar, though it was about spells in general, not curses.

Having said that, the spell Chant/Ritual to Remove Taboo/Curse in WB4 specifies that killing the taboo maker results in the curse becoming permanent and a second one gets added. However they may only be talking about the African Witch and not curses in general on that one.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Eclipse wrote:Eh, maybe it's mentioned in a non-Rifts palladium book, or somewhere really obscure.
..snip

Which is why the polite 'where is it?' asking, that I started with.

Guess I skipped over that post.
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Nightmask wrote:African Witch is one of the cases of someone who inflicts curses that it explicitly makes it impossible to remove the curse if you kill the Witch, you HAVE to get it removed while the Witch is alive and hope no one else kills it in the meantime.

I don't take that to mean that other curses do expire when a caster dies.

Rather, African Witch curses (I assume we mean Taboo, the only permanent curse I remember in Africa, which oddly enough Medicine Men also have, and Medicine Men are definitely available NPCs) just have that indefinite duration, whereas with other curses you can just wait out or use a simple remove curse to get rid of.

Nightmask wrote:those sorts tend to be restricted to NPC so the PC can't go around doing things like that.
Except they can, since Medicine Men can do Taboo, and plus, pretty much any class given an experience table is on the table as a PC. If something were truly off limits then Kev shouldn't provide experience tables for them.

But heck, even if Medicine Men didn't exist, and even if you can't play an African Witch, there's ALWAYS a way.

Miclantecutli's Command, for example.

Return to “Rifts®”