What OCCs from other Palladium Games work well in Fantasy?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

What OCCs from other Palladium Games work well in Fantasy?

Unread post by Hotrod »

My most-recent Fantasy character (who I never got to play, owing to an irreconcilable scheduling problem with the guys over at Rebuilt) was a Scathach converted over from Rifts: England. Though I never got a chance to try him out, his OCC seemed well-suited to the setting.

What other OCCs from other games/settings would crossover well into Fantasy?
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Re: What OCCs from other Palladium Games work well in Fantasy?

Unread post by Marrowlight »

The Trickster Mage! 8-)

Martial Artists from N&SS go over quite well too, I've found.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I'll vouch for the N&SS martial artists in fantasy 1st edition. I don't know the differences between 1st and 2nd edition, but I imagine any required conversion would be pretty easy to do.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

With a few skill change considerations, the Shifter is awfully fun.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Barmaid.....err I mean Saloon Girl. & the town drunk class. (R:NW)
A classified Mystic Study. (HU2)
Normal People(BTS1/-2)
Civilian (RT 2nd ed macross)
Gambler. (R:JU)

Marrowlight wrote:The Trickster Mage! 8-)

...snip

The TM is a PF class already.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I;d say pretty much any psychic or mage class from any game as long as they do not require technology (telemechanics or technowizards etc)
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

jaymz wrote:I;d say pretty much any psychic or mage class from any game as long as they do not require technology (telemechanics or technowizards etc)

Be wary of any class that can dimensional hop unless you rule that they can't reach any high tech dimensions. If you let a shifter or temporal wizard gain access to a high technology dimension, then your fantasy campaign doesn't stay a fantasy campaign for very long.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

flatline wrote:
jaymz wrote:I;d say pretty much any psychic or mage class from any game as long as they do not require technology (telemechanics or technowizards etc)

Be wary of any class that can dimensional hop unless you rule that they can't reach any high tech dimensions. If you let a shifter or temporal wizard gain access to a high technology dimension, then your fantasy campaign doesn't stay a fantasy campaign for very long.

--flatline

Well that's why the GM has the authority to say "nope your teleport failed" or "you randomly opened a rift to a water world...." :D
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

I think limitations should be clear beforehand; it's better that way.
Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Oh, yeah. My fantasy shifter kept his travels limited to other "fantasy" worlds. He eventually became a guide to several of the heroic realms.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

jaymz wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

Well that's why the GM has the authority to say "nope your teleport failed" or "you randomly opened a rift to a water world...." :D

One of my Rifts characters is a Deific shifter and with a bit of dimensional hopping the character could have made themselves wealthier and more affluent than they are. Just by setting up a group of Merchants in multiple realms they can just by trading back and fourth between those merchants make a pretty penny. Blatantly breaking the technology level of a setting is not even required.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

sexykitty wrote:Mystically Bestowed Abilities would fit nicely in a fantasy game both for PC's and villians.

Second edition has a Mystic class.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Natasha wrote:
sexykitty wrote:Mystically Bestowed Abilities would fit nicely in a fantasy game both for PC's and villians.

SK means the HU power cat Mystically Bestowed Abilities that was classified.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Natasha wrote:

SK means the HU power cat Mystically Bestowed Abilities that was classified.

Oh. :oops:
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Dragon Jucier
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

sexykitty wrote: I might be leaning towards just about every Hero type that doesn't rely on technology would/could fit in nicely in a fantasy campaign.

You've not lived until you've thrown a Troll with Growth and APS: Metal at a party. 8-)
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Some of the super powers in HU make for fun characters as well, BTS characters can get by but i have done crossovers from others to palladium, and from palladium to others. High tech characters tend to balance out because they run out of ammo, and the "magic users" or extraordinary power users generally dont have the versatility of a pf mage.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

The Warlord, Villager, gypsies, etc in Warlords of Russia...A lot of the mage classes in Mystic Russia. With some work, samurais, and ninjas in rifts Japan. Any of the druids, temporal classes, etc from England. Geomancer, jungle elves, and some of the cat races in South America 1 & 2. Asgardian Elves, etc.

Actually I think all of the magic powered Hero types from Heroes Unlimited would work well in a fantasy setting as well as the Physical training hero types( fighting monks or knights of the templar maybe) Natural psionics of course. I might be leaning towards just about every Hero type that doesn't rely on technology would/could fit in nicely in a fantasy campaign.

Yeah, I agree with SexyKitty, but (and yeah there is a but) in our games not just the GM's but the entire group must vote on any off world character idea before we let them in. I voted no on the last time a player wanted to run a "mystical artifact bestowed" character. Because he had made him with just psychical skills, and there simply was no way to go back and give it more skills to try to fix it before the game. So, he said "Okay" and showed us another character, not near as powerful, had a nice selection of skills, had its good points, and flaws, the powers came from a winged ankh, had come up with a nice storyline which worked for the game. Just an overall wonderful background story for it, etc. We gave it our stamp of approval.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Levi
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

I have always wanted to add Psi-Stalkers, Bursters, and Tattooed men to PF. More recently the magic OCCs from Fed of Magic have seemed like a good fit. Not much else really. I mostly like the selection of characters as they are.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well all OCCs and PCCs that das not need Tech can wokr.

I think a Lucky psychic from Rifer 53 can be Good.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Rappanui wrote:
sexykitty wrote:What about the mutant cat empire from rifts south america. With a so many dog races what happened to the cat people? Yes I am a catperson.......I now feel ashamed. lol

there are alot of cat races in Palladium Fantasy. most appear in 1e Products though
there are the Emirin (monsters and animals) Emirin are psychic lions.
The Catlords (Yin Sloth Jungles) Catlords are basicly Pumas who are bipedal
The Ramen ( Dragons and gods)
The Kinnie Ger (fairy folk) (Monsters and animals)
The Krel (fox sized Cat predators)
and the most famous of all, the tezcats! (yin sloth ) - stone age cannibals who worship the yin sloth gods.(only vaguely feline)

You forgot the Danzi, in Eastern Territory.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Traditionalist OCCs from Rifts Japan (Samurai, Ninja, Monk, etc), though you will have to adjust some of the powers to SDC world (N&SS helpful).

Techno-wizard can work, but they are going to be far more limited in what they can work with (change the equipment, and adjusting the OCC/other skills to be more setting specific) as they do have mechanical implement to work with (locks, carts, doors, siege weapons, etc). A TW strikes me as an off-shoot to the Diabolist class (they do put mystic symbols on their artifacts), but also a step down or two from a full fledged Alchemist (A TW item needs nearly constant recharging, an Alchemist product doesn't).

Also have the Eco-Wizard (Dinosaur Swamp), that is basically a TW by another name and with slightly different focus that might work a bit better (DS in general is more at PF level technologically).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Making permemnent magical items is limited to NPC in the PF world.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

@drewkitty
No making magic stuff is not limited to an NPC class in the PF world, even by the main book. The main difference is how long the magic lasts in many cases, but by the main book there are already options to create magic items w/o being the Alchemist NPC OCC:
-Magic Wards (physical component, enchant items essentially)
-Circle Magic (need a physical circle and components)
-Wizard spells/rituals/abilities
--Enchanted Cauldron (ability)
--Mystic Alarm (enchants item/area)
--Fool's Gold (enchant item)
--Seal (enchant item)
--Fly (enchant item for a magic broomstick or carpet)
--Witch Bottle (uses ingredients)
--Time Capsule
--Dimensional Pocket
--Create Mummy (along with Zombie and Golem)
--Create Magic Scroll
--Amulet
--Talisman
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Edited my privious post to expand on what was meant. And Commented bellow on each.
ShadowLogan wrote:@drewkitty

-Magic Wards (physical component, enchant items essentially) (these are on items not items themselves)
-Circle Magic (need a physical circle and components) (are not items)
-Wizard spells/rituals/abilities (not "stuff")
--Enchanted Cauldron (ability) (is a ritual spell, not stuff)
--Mystic Alarm (enchants item/area) (is spell, not stuff)
--Fool's Gold (enchant item) (is spell, not stuff)
--Seal (enchant item) (is spell, not stuff)
--Fly (enchant item for a magic broomstick or carpet) (is spell, not stuff)
--Witch Bottle (uses ingredients) (the enchantment is not perm.)
--Time Capsule (is spell, not stuff)
--Dimensional Pocket (the enchantment is not perm.)
--Create Mummy (along with Zombie and Golem) (it could be argued ether way that what is created is stuff. But for the sake of What I was talking about they are not items.)
--Create Magic Scroll (is spell that stores a spell on an item, ending up a single use item.)
--Amulet (you got me here, but when was the last time you encounted a player cluttering up his/her spell list with this?)
--Talisman (you got me here, but it requires being recharged by someone after being used?)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

@drewkitty
I don't want to side track this thread, but the examples I provided aren't that much different than allowing a TW in. They result in an enchanted item (which would be magic stuff), while temporary is no different than a TW device. While recharge is more generous than Talisman artifact, TW still needs to be recharged after being used and can be a single use item.

All of the examples require a physical component(s) to them that is required or the magic does not work. This is no different than a TW item with its parts list and gem requirements.

Wards can also be placed to make spell enchantments (& Circles & Wards) permanent, and Wards/Symbols are a known part of TW. So a PC (or 2 PCs or 1 PC & 1 NPC with the right selection of magic OCCs) can make a permanent magic item without resorting to consulting with an Alchemist.
pblackcrow
Champion

I think the stone masters would also be a cool addition.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Solarius
D-Bee

Unread post by Solarius »

some of the spirit west occ's and magic
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Solarius wrote:some of the spirit west occ's and magic

definitely...
The shamans and the totem warriors make for good "Barbarian tribesmen"
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
pblackcrow
Champion

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Solarius wrote:some of the spirit west occ's and magic

definitely...
The shamans and the totem warriors make for good "Barbarian tribesmen"

Actually, that's an awesome point guys. I might add them to the game next time we encounter barbarians.

10 geek points to you both for making the barbarians cooler.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Ocean Wizard (has one of these as a PF Char)
Ocean Druid
DracoMagus
Explorer

Unread post by DracoMagus »

I'm thinking a True Atlantean might be cool. Possibly a Monster Hunter taken down to SDC or just cone that has the minimum of tattoos and is of a PF OCC. What'd be interesting would be to make a Cyberknight (from RMB) and have them only using PF equipment and skills.
Remember kids, if speed were everything jackrabbits would Rule the World!!!!

All Hail the Death Metal Rooster!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A43JOxLa5MM
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

DracoMagus wrote:I'm thinking a True Atlantean might be cool. Possibly a Monster Hunter taken down to SDC or just cone that has the minimum of tattoos and is of a PF OCC. What'd be interesting would be to make a Cyberknight (from RMB) and have them only using PF equipment and skills.

we call those Palladins.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: What OCCs from other Palladium Games work well in Fantas

Unread post by Tor »

Conjurers and Necromancers, apparently, since they got reprinted. Palladium loves its reprints. Never mind if it might irk people who already own Africa/FoM.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Tor wrote:Conjurers and Necromancers, apparently, since they got reprinted. Palladium loves its reprints. Never mind if it might irk people who already own Africa/FoM.

Not everyone will purchase and play Rifts.
Those "un-needed" reprints are for their benefit.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Ocean Wizard (has one of these as a PF Char)
Ocean Druid

Agreed, and have used both- works really well!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Tor wrote:Conjurers and Necromancers, apparently, since they got reprinted. Palladium loves its reprints. Never mind if it might irk people who already own Africa/FoM.

Not everyone will purchase and play Rifts.
Those "un-needed" reprints are for their benefit.

Totally agree. I nearly asked for the Mind bleeder to be reprinted as part of my recent manuscript submission. Not everyone plays every line or has every book.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well all ther Pcc from Psyscape other then the Psi-tech,all the Occ from Spirit west other then the rebel,all the Occ from Mystic Russia,all the non Ecofront Occ from China2 and Wilderness Barabrians and Eco-wizards from Dinosaur swamp.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

gaby wrote:Well all there Pcc from Psyscape other then the Psi-tech,all the Occ from Spirit west other then the rebel,all the Occ from Mystic Russia,all the non Ecofront Occ from China2 and Wilderness Barbarians and Eco-wizards from Dinosaur swamp.

The Psyscape non-tech PCC's AND non-PsiStalker alt RCCs, *nods*
Spirit West, *nods*. Even the renegades can be mod'ed to fit the setting with them using technology that is there.
M.Russia....would argue against the Cultural based classes.
RC2..can not argue against all of them hard enough.
Dino-swamp...there are already barbarians in PF, E-W....maybe in the yin-sloth.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”