Firearms Construction Question

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Firearms Construction Question

Unread post by 13eowulf »

For a double barrelled M4 or AR-15, or other 5.56mm Assault Rifle, would you allow two under-barrel accessories, or limit to a single under-barrel accessory?

And if you allow two, does it have to be twin (two of the same), or can you have two different accessories.

Side note: To forestall any discussion over whether or not such a rifle is possible I present to you this link.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Re: Firearms Construction Question

Unread post by Blindscout »

Given that most things one would want to sling under a 5.56 rifle tend to be significantly wider than a 5.56 I would limit it to one under-barrel accessory. That specific rifle in your link only has provision for a single lower mounted device (or multiple if they can be mounted inline with the others, such as forward grip and light).
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

Also for your consideration a picture of a 40mm busy being wider than the 5.56 it's mounted to.
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Well, besides that being as silly as the side stacked 1911 (AF2011-A1 "Second Century" - Double barrel pistol).

But, if someone was to actually build something like this and use it. I think underrail accessories would want to limit it to just one unified rail. For balance reasons, it would be hard to not have one rail. Two separate rails would be kind of odd.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

You both make excellent points, size and balance.

I know they make shotgun underrail accessories, what about a custom double barrel shotgun, would you consider that feasable within the confines of the game world?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

13eowulf wrote:You both make excellent points, size and balance.

I know they make shotgun underrail accessories, what about a custom double barrel shotgun, would you consider that feasable within the confines of the game world?

A double barrel semi-auto shotgun with a magazine? That would make it even more unwieldy, but as side-by-side shotguns exist it might be possible.

Weapons like these are kind of one-off weapons, which are fairly custom jobs. They are kind of custom to the owner and builder. You could go overboard and make some sort of double barrel version of a Saiga-12. But still it would be kind of funky overall.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

13eowulf wrote:For a double barrelled M4 or AR-15, or other 5.56mm Assault Rifle, would you allow two under-barrel accessories, or limit to a single under-barrel accessory?

And if you allow two, does it have to be twin (two of the same), or can you have two different accessories.

Side note: To forestall any discussion over whether or not such a rifle is possible I present to you this link.

If it's possible, then I allow it.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:
13eowulf wrote:For a double barrelled M4 or AR-15, or other 5.56mm Assault Rifle, would you allow two under-barrel accessories, or limit to a single under-barrel accessory?

If it's possible, then I allow it.

Well, then, for this rifle, which under barrel options would you consider possible?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Only one under barrel mounted accessory......
Unless,.... the accessory has a laser pointer integrated into the accessory. Then you could technically have two.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

I'd allow two in some situations, but likely add on some penalty due to the added bulk and odder nature.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I would limit it to one because then you are adding more weight than you really want to carry in one weapon. The addition of a second receiver may not add much weight but this particular weapon is already weighing in at close to 10 pounds. How much more weight do you want on this weapon?
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

The master key....or shotgun attactment is pretty bigg, if your barrels for the twin m16's are close, or almost touching id say only on, but you could put a 8 rail system and make the weapon have the underbarel attachments be sorta to the sides like the legs to a bi pod in orintation to the frame.

Pulling the triggers to the things would take some doing if you were trying to do both at once though......ie youd need at least 3 arms and hands. Wich is doable with super powers/mutant ect.
There is an under barrel. 22lr thats pretty thin and takes 10/22 mags you could run easily side by side but you may as well just carry more ammo for the. 223/5.56 insdtead.

Do you have the magazines canted to the side or straight up and down? Or are they side loaded?
Also remember that a fully load m16 is still light, two of them less so, add on a 40mm nade luancher its getting heavier and two well lets hope you dont have to keep the rifle trained on target unsupported. With less than a high pe and ps i wouldnt allow it.
Like people who try to run a Barrett. 50bmg on a char and take a shot from standing .......yeah thats not human level. But for a super human or supernatrual ps person sure ....but still id not allow holding on target for 4 rounds waiting for the perfect shot.

Holding a regular bolt action 30.06 standing up on a target for minute is hard to do with out beging to feel a drop or shakieness
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Generally you'd still be looking at a single mounting rail, and thus only a single under-barrel accessory. It is certainly physically possible to manufacture a weapon that could mount two, but generally not a reasonable situation as both the off-set required to fit two and the addition front-heaviness would begin to severely impact the aim and balance of the weapon (aka penalties to strike).

13eowulf wrote:I know they make shotgun underrail accessories, what about a custom double barrel shotgun, would you consider that feasable within the confines of the game world?
If you mean a double-barrel under-rail weapon, in a single shot each version I would consider it feasible. In a similar format to a under-barrel grenade launcher. If you mean a full magazine-fed weapon, that would be a bit much, even with a forward grip. Side note, there are a few manufacturers for double-barrel semi-automatic shotguns and elephant guns, so it is possible, if uncommon.

Depending on what the character is looking for, I might suggest a tactical shotgun with an automatic pistol on the rail, or if the main idea is having rifle and double barrel shotgun capabilities I might suggest a combination gun or drilling. A drilling is typically a breach-loader with two shotgun barrels and a rifle barrel, all in one full-size weapon, so you aren't looking at any particular penalties for having both. Intended as hunting weapons with versatility without having to grab for another weapon in the heat of the moment. Caliber and gauge varies between bird and varmint gun to safari weapons where the options are there in case something big decides it doesn't like you.

When it comes down to it, physically speaking, you can build just about any convoluted weapon you want if the gunsmith has enough skill. The big question is of how practical it is for your needs, and how much the character cares about that practicality. (Just because it might be unwieldy, it doesn't mean the character doesn't think they want it anyway.)
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Your link contains the answer; the under-barrel only has one rail (where you would mount said grenade launcher) and it appears that a grenade launcher typically takes up the whole rail, so one.

That said, that fire-arm is a custom make, so it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that you can get a custom grenade launcher. The site even says,"The Gilboa™ Snake was designed to deliver twice the firepower in any caliber."

But as far as underbarrel accessories go, you can literally fit on as many accessories as the rails allow for; you can have a fore-grip, flash-light, and laser-site for most rifles, and (depending on the maker and design) a bayonet (barrel-mounted) that won't interfere with the under or over-mounted accessories.

That is the take from the real-world perspective; there is a palladium book designated for firearms (that I don't have), so I am not sure what is allowed via the rules.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”