Psyscape in....

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DracoMagus
Explorer

Psyscape in....

Unread post by DracoMagus »

OK, another weird idea I have bouncing around in this head of mine, something happens to where Psyscape (can't remember the city name at the moment) is existing in multiple realities. What worlds would you have it on? How would they operate on these worlds? What would be the reactions to them by the native people to these worlds?
Remember kids, if speed were everything jackrabbits would Rule the World!!!!

All Hail the Death Metal Rooster!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A43JOxLa5MM
taalismn
Priest

Re: Psyscape in....

Unread post by taalismn »

Just another sleepy little backwoods town not on any maps, that you only find by wandering down the backroads...looks okay at first, until you start noticing the STRANGE...
And why is 'Hotel California' playing in the background all the time?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by nilgravity »

Oooh adding to my campaign. Going to call the town Anywhere.. and put it on the random encounter table
DracoMagus
Explorer

I'm guessing these would be the HU, BtS ports...I'm thinking along the lines of what would happen if this happened in worlds like After the Bomb or Palladium Fantasy.

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

DracoMagus wrote:I'm guessing these would be the HU, BtS ports...I'm thinking along the lines of what would happen if this happened in worlds like After the Bomb or Palladium Fantasy.

In the latter..."a place of strange magicks*, clever devices, strange and terrible ideas**, and powers of the mind. And the beer's always cold."
*They're referring to electric lights, television/video players, refrigerators, and other modern conveniences.
** Democracy, eqalitarianism, feminism, any number of modern, post-feudal era philosophies.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DracoMagus
Explorer

So would the Psi Warriors and whatever else comes through enhance the setting or break it? I was thinking that there was something that limited the tech they brought through. The city itself is still on the Astral Plane but the people are still able to come out into the world. (Guess I should have made that clear in the OP.) Was thinking that what the other worlds would be dealing with would be outside colonies of people that are making exploratory forays into the worlds that they come across.

The limiting of the tech they bring could be something that doesn't allow it to work or that they have a rule about not bringing in higher tech that could disrupt the societies they are encountering.

Well, lets see where this takes things...

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

DracoMagus wrote:OK, another weird idea I have bouncing around in this head of mine, something happens to where Psyscape (can't remember the city name at the moment) is existing in multiple realities. What worlds would you have it on? How would they operate on these worlds? What would be the reactions to them by the native people to these worlds?

You got the name correct, Psyscape.
In canon it exists in the astral plane (I think the inner plane.) and linked to somewhere on the east NA coast.

Where would I link it to......humm. Maybe to a few planets in the 3G.

Connections I would not have, to the PF world, the ATB earth, the NB dimension, a 2nd connection to rifts earth.

HU2, a connection to the HU earth would be an intermittent one so chars could get to the HU earth, but would be stuck there. Treating them much like being the (psi)Alien power cat.

BTS1&2... maybe having the object of the "search"/"hunt" being a char from there, NPC. Then ether helping the char integrate into their society or a way for her to get home.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I'm kinda confused about how Psyscape differs from a normal astral realm/kingdom with earth portal(s) but if it can do it with Rifts Earth I don't see why it couldn't with others.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Um, no. PsyNex is an entity that has merged with the Nexus that Psyscape sits on. The other inhabitants are not merged with any ley lines. Some of the more powerful psykicks (if you can grab 270 ISP somehow) can merge with a ley line, but even though it's a common ability many who open their third eye might potentially access, few would have the raw power to do it.

Even if you're a character with ME30 in the class with the most potential ISP (Psi-Nullifier) with some Psi-Bat training (for the bonus 12 ISP and 1 ME) you can still only start out with a maximum of 180+31+12+10 = 233 ISP. This means to get over 270 you'd need to level up 4 times. So to have enough you need to be at least a level 5 Nullifier or a Level 6 Mind Melter, and that's with utterly maxed stats.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I didn't say everyone is level 1, but most people are not going to have the required ISP for this. Do you really want the odds spelled out on just how low a percentile (based on average rolls) would be capable?

Only 42% in the city are Master Psychics and:
*only 83% of them have opened the Third Eye
*only 29% of those are Melters/Nullifiers with the super-high ISP potential

I did notice I forgot to factor in the potential 36 ISP they get as a bonus though, but that's still a drop in the bucket of the requirements.

I'm not sure if we have guidelines on the average level but it's a pretty good bet that there are more low-level people in the world than high-level ones.

With RUE allowing Psi-Stalkers to feed on ISP as well as PPE it might've been nice if they made bonus ISP available at ley lines like with PPE. This could potentially (if we use a similar "allow characters to store triple their maximum for ME in minutes" type rule) make this a feasible tactic for a significant portion of the population (it's a lot easier to have a base of 90 ISP than 270) but as it is now, it would be a very small minority.

I wish I knew how to code the statistics easily to give a percentile but I know it would be very small, even if we made everyone level 10.

Return to “Rifts®”