We Gots The Skills

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: We Gots The Skills

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

taalismn wrote:It be done.
Now where's the cardio-burger I'm expected to wolf down?
It is a wolf burger, sir, complete with the fur. They were supposed to deliver it to your personal trailer. Ugh, you just can't get good help these days.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I like the idea of a Graffiti code language but it will take me a bit to come up with something. Jive/street slang would just be its own language one could take for the cost of a regular language skill.

Language: Jive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVJPB3W54Tc

I couldn't help myself. Lol
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I like the idea of a Graffiti code language but it will take me a bit to come up with something. Jive/street slang would just be its own language one could take for the cost of a regular language skill.

Language: Jive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVJPB3W54Tc

I couldn't help myself. Lol
That is what I thought of when you mentioned writing up a street slang skill. :lol:
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
GreatArelius1
D-Bee

Unread post by GreatArelius1 »

What about Sport Judo?
Characters gains body flip and leg hook.
+1 or 2 to grapple or strike to above moves
Definitely a +2 to roll or maybe breakfall
SDC bonus, maybe a PS bonus
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[I like the idea of a Graffiti code language but it will take me a bit to come up with something.
To do a decent Graffiti Code skill, one would need to have the prerequisites of Art: Spray Paint and iconography, which is a skill that would also need to be written up.

Iconography (Scholar & Technical): The character knows the basics of symbolism and language, and how to get his point across in images without using actual written words. He is familiar with commonly used icons as well as runes and other hieroglyphics used in early languages and how their meanings have come to be incorporated in modern symbolism. The character with this skill can learn to read new languages in half the time and may select one additional literacy in a chosen language if taken as part of an education skill package. This skill adds +10% to art skills and any literacy skills the character may have. Base Skill: 25% +5% per level of experience

Graffiti Code (Art and Domestic/Communications Skill) The character can utilize iconography and symbolism to send messages to others with this skill via his Graffiti art. Prerequisite: Art: Painting (Spray Paint) and Iconography. Base Skill: 30% +5% per level of experience

Update: My bad, it seems Gryphon Chick already has an Iconography skill written up. I like mine better, though. :D
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Yeah, that's the idea. A skill in Street Fighting/Brawling.

I could see this as a physical skill with bonuses to strike and parry, like boxing has, or even its own Hand to Hand style. Mephisto is generally better at the physical fighting skills than I am, though.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Other ideas that wandered through my brain.

Language/Literacy Hobo markings/street slang/(grafitti). I seem to remember reading somewhere that hobo's had their own set of symbols to let other hobo's know about friendly neighborhoods/handouts etc. And I think they may have had special terminology for stuff. As far as the street slang/(grafitti) goes. It's the same idea as above, just more modernized. While awesome in a romanticized sense, Hobo's seem to be an early to mid 20th century thing (depression era - ??) Where as street slang and grafitti (to me at least) would have started in the mid to late 1950's up to modern times.
I like the idea of a Graffiti code language but it will take me a bit to come up with something. Jive/street slang would just be its own language one could take for the cost of a regular language skill.

There was an old Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine story like that (at least I think that's where it was published). It was done as a cruel twist kind of things whereby a professor at a college in a rivalry with another tossed off that he'd deciphered graffiti and realized it was a code for invading aliens for how they passed messages along only for his rival to be killed and graffiti to start showing up around him including at the crime scene pretty much making it clear he'd stumbled upon the truth and the aliens were warning him to keep quiet or he'd be next.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Nightmask wrote:There was an old Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine story like that (at least I think that's where it was published). It was done as a cruel twist kind of things whereby a professor at a college in a rivalry with another tossed off that he'd deciphered graffiti and realized it was a code for invading aliens for how they passed messages along only for his rival to be killed and graffiti to start showing up around him including at the crime scene pretty much making it clear he'd stumbled upon the truth and the aliens were warning him to keep quiet or he'd be next.
LOL. Kind of makes you wonder the kind of genius games aliens could play on people... Crop Circle Code, maybe?
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Nightmask wrote:There was an old Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine story like that (at least I think that's where it was published). It was done as a cruel twist kind of things whereby a professor at a college in a rivalry with another tossed off that he'd deciphered graffiti and realized it was a code for invading aliens for how they passed messages along only for his rival to be killed and graffiti to start showing up around him including at the crime scene pretty much making it clear he'd stumbled upon the truth and the aliens were warning him to keep quiet or he'd be next.

LOL. Kind of makes you wonder the kind of genius games aliens could play on people... Crop Circle Code, maybe?

Could be, and people who claim to have made them are either in on the conspiracy trying to make it look like humans playing hoaxes or just morons looking for their five minutes of fame or even human-disguised aliens doing their best to convince humans it's all a hoax (much like Stargate had 'Wormhole Extreme' and the Cyantian Chronicles revealing that the MiB movies were a cover for the REAL MiB). Certainly your average human sees stuff like crop circles as hoaxes and treats anyone saying otherwise as a nut to ignore out of hand.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

:ok:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:[I like the idea of a Graffiti code language but it will take me a bit to come up with something.
To do a decent Graffiti Code skill, one would need to have the prerequisites of Art: Spray Paint and iconography, which is a skill that would also need to be written up.

Iconography (Scholar & Technical): The character knows the basics of symbolism and language, and how to get his point across in images without using actual written words. He is familiar with commonly used icons as well as runes and other hieroglyphics used in early languages and how their meanings have come to be incorporated in modern symbolism. The character with this skill can learn to read new languages in half the time and may select one additional literacy in a chosen language if taken as part of an education skill package. This skill adds +10% to art skills and any literacy skills the character may have. Base Skill: 25% +5% per level of experience

Impressive in and of itself. Seems kind of high powered (minded?) for hobo's and/or street punks though. I fully agree that each subculture has their own iconography and the better you are at understanding it the better you'll get along.

Graffiti Code (Art and Domestic/Communications Skill) The character can utilize iconography and symbolism to send messages to others with this skill via his Graffiti art. Prerequisite: Art: Painting (Spray Paint) and Iconography. Base Skill: 30% +5% per level of experience

I could definitely see a bonus to Streetwise and (maybe) Stowaway/Scavenge (watch out for violent guards, dogs, come in the west side.)

I'd let them choose between Art: Spray Paint or Art: Charcoal/Chalk as I don't think Hobo code was meant to be permanent. Kind of like posting a flyer on a phone pole (The lady in the blue house will trade eggs for work today). :ok:

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Where's that Mephisto with my Secondary skill level version of Boxing and the Streetfighting/Brawling secondary skill?

I think the homeless are a pretty scrappy lot and my bums need to be able to defend themselves if they're going to be getting into mischief or working their way up to vigilante/neighborhood hero status.

Great work everyone. All these Hobo type skills are making it hard to narrow down my Urban/Rural Homeless Occ. I don't want to just "adopt" the vagabond occ as it's modern day (TMNT) and Rifts tech is non existant. Also, I think the vagabond has skills your average homeless guy wouldn't have. Basically I'm looking for 5-6 specialty skills to give them. When combined with the 14 secondary skills it puts them on par with the vagabond for # of skills, without making them a cookie cutter PC.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Nightmask wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Could be, and people who claim to have made them are either in on the conspiracy trying to make it look like humans playing hoaxes or just morons looking for their five minutes of fame or even human-disguised aliens doing their best to convince humans it's all a hoax (much like Stargate had 'Wormhole Extreme' and the Cyantian Chronicles revealing that the MiB movies were a cover for the REAL MiB). Certainly your average human sees stuff like crop circles as hoaxes and treats anyone saying otherwise as a nut to ignore out of hand.
Yes, I will definitely be doing a Crop Circle Code at some point here in the near future, if nothing else than to add something for my Zeta Rheticulans I posted a while back. Still trying to figure out the prerequisites for the mechanics of it is all.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote::ok:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Iconography (Scholar & Technical):
Impressive in and of itself. Seems kind of high powered (minded?) for hobo's and/or street punks though. I fully agree that each subculture has their own iconography and the better you are at understanding it the better you'll get along.
It is if you are running on the assumption that all hobos are uneducated. You do have some homeless people who are better educated and just dropped out of society, though, and I think they are more the ones who would be using this, not just street punks.

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Graffiti Code (Art and Domestic/Communications Skill) The character can utilize iconography and symbolism to send messages to others with this skill via his Graffiti art. Prerequisite: Art: Painting (Spray Paint) and Iconography. Base Skill: 30% +5% per level of experience

I could definitely see a bonus to Streetwise and (maybe) Stowaway/Scavenge (watch out for violent guards, dogs, come in the west side.)

I'd let them choose between Art: Spray Paint or Art: Charcoal/Chalk as I don't think Hobo code was meant to be permanent. Kind of like posting a flyer on a phone pole (The lady in the blue house will trade eggs for work today). :ok:
I don't see your reasoning as to why this would give bonuses to Streetwise or Stowaway. This skill does not allow you to hide in any way, nor allow you to work without potential arrest by law enforcement, it merely allows you to use other skills to communicate in a unique way. As far as materials for doing the Graffiti, I could see allowing for other mediums to be used other than spray paint, but keep in mind that this skill is not strictly a hobo skill. Just because it was inspired by your request does not mean it should be limited as such.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Iconography (Scholar & Technical): The character knows the basics of symbolism and language, and how to get his point across in images without using actual written words. He is familiar with commonly used icons as well as runes and other hieroglyphics used in early languages and how their meanings have come to be incorporated in modern symbolism. The character with this skill can learn to read new languages in half the time and may select one additional literacy in a chosen language if taken as part of an education skill package. This skill adds +10% to art skills and any literacy skills the character may have. Base Skill: 25% +5% per level of experience

Update: My bad, it seems Gryphon Chick already has an Iconography skill written up. I like mine better, though. :D
Yours is more descriptive than mine was. I like this better as well.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Great work everyone. All these Hobo type skills are making it hard to narrow down my Urban/Rural Homeless Occ. I don't want to just "adopt" the vagabond occ as it's modern day (TMNT) and Rifts tech is non existant. Also, I think the vagabond has skills your average homeless guy wouldn't have. Basically I'm looking for 5-6 specialty skills to give them. When combined with the 14 secondary skills it puts them on par with the vagabond for # of skills, without making them a cookie cutter PC.
I might need to write up a more modern Homeless OCC, then. Where is the Vagabond OCC that you are referring to?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mephisto wrote:A secondary skill level of boxing is largely unnecessary. Using the existing rules, a character with no hand to hand skill has a basic 1D4 Punch, grab, simultaneous attack and two attacks per melee and no bonuses. So any character can punch and grab with no great skill or technique, which is similar to a lot of people around the world. The closest I can think of for a brawling skill would be to look at fighters like Tank Abbott, Leonard Garcia, Dan Hardy, and Thiago Silva as guys that throw wild punches that do a lot of damage, but rarely connect. More often than not they also eat a lot of punches and struggle when taken to the ground.
I had similar thoughts on this, which is why I passed over trying to do a street fighting skill myself.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:It is if you are running on the assumption that all hobos are uneducated. You do have some homeless people who are better educated and just dropped out of society, though, and I think they are more the ones who would be using this, not just street punks.

Fair point.

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I don't see your reasoning as to why this would give bonuses to Streetwise or Stowaway. This skill does not allow you to hide in any way, nor allow you to work without potential arrest by law enforcement, it merely allows you to use other skills to communicate in a unique way. As far as materials for doing the Graffiti, I could see allowing for other mediums to be used other than spray paint, but keep in mind that this skill is not strictly a hobo skill. Just because it was inspired by your request does not mean it should be limited as such.

By understanding how to read the Graffiti Code you will know which gang turf you're entering, possibly know about any coded rivalries/threats (what looks like a swirl of color and geometry. is actually a warning to a specific gang to stay out of this area on penalty of death). As far as avoiding arrest, If I leave a coded message at the rail yard that says how often the patrol is, or which side is least guarded that is, well that's helpful to you.

I understand it's not strictly a hobo skill, and didn't mean to limit it any. I apologize if I sounded possessive of it. Was just justifying my reason for allowing other mediums.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I might need to write up a more modern Homeless OCC, then. Where is the Vagabond OCC that you are referring to?

Rifts Ultimate Edition. Page 97

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I might need to write up a more modern Homeless OCC, then. Where is the Vagabond OCC that you are referring to?

Isn't there a Vagabond OCC in the PFRPG 2nd Edition rulebook as well?
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Mephisto wrote:A secondary skill level of boxing is largely unnecessary. Using the existing rules, a character with no hand to hand skill has a basic 1D4 Punch, grab, simultaneous attack and two attacks per melee and no bonuses. So any character can punch and grab with no great skill or technique, which is similar to a lot of people around the world. The closest I can think of for a brawling skill would be to look at fighters like Tank Abbott, Leonard Garcia, Dan Hardy, and Thiago Silva as guys that throw wild punches that do a lot of damage, but rarely connect. More often than not they also eat a lot of punches and struggle when taken to the ground.

That's a valid point. The idea of a different version of it came like this. Stattick listed Boxing and Wrestling as skills he thought a hobo might have. I liked this idea, but wanted to keep somewhat to the original framework of the education table that only allowed PC's to take Secondary skills. Boxing and Wrestling are only available via Physical Skill Program. Hence the secondary skill boxing and or the street fighting/brawling (for those pc's where boxing training isn't available. not a trained boxer per se, but a guy who gets into a lot of fights.).

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I don't see your reasoning as to why this would give bonuses to Streetwise or Stowaway. This skill does not allow you to hide in any way, nor allow you to work without potential arrest by law enforcement, it merely allows you to use other skills to communicate in a unique way. As far as materials for doing the Graffiti, I could see allowing for other mediums to be used other than spray paint, but keep in mind that this skill is not strictly a hobo skill. Just because it was inspired by your request does not mean it should be limited as such.

By understanding how to read the Graffiti Code you will know which gang turf you're entering, possibly know about any coded rivalries/threats (what looks like a swirl of color and geometry. is actually a warning to a specific gang to stay out of this area on penalty of death). As far as avoiding arrest, If I leave a coded message at the rail yard that says how often the patrol is, or which side is least guarded that is, well that's helpful to you.
It would depend on the content of whatever message is being made by the Graffiti Code. You are interpreting it as a gang marking, which one person may use it as, but another may not. It would be up to the individual GM to allow any bonuses to Streetwise as it pertains to reading the Graffiti Code.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:I understand it's not strictly a hobo skill, and didn't mean to limit it any. I apologize if I sounded possessive of it. Was just justifying my reason for allowing other mediums.
I understand that, but it could be used in other contexts very easily.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:The idea of a different version of it came like this. Stattick listed Boxing and Wrestling as skills he thought a hobo might have. I liked this idea, but wanted to keep somewhat to the original framework of the education table that only allowed PC's to take Secondary skills. Boxing and Wrestling are only available via Physical Skill Program. Hence the secondary skill boxing and or the street fighting/brawling (for those pc's where boxing training isn't available. not a trained boxer per se, but a guy who gets into a lot of fights.).
You might ask your GM to make an exception and allow Boxing as a secondary skill in this one instance. But Mephisto has a point, getting into more fights does not train you to fight, nor make you a better fighter.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Heeey. what do ya know. There is. Page 99. It also has 19-20 ish skills. Now this one I might be able to straight adopt for the Rural Homeless Occ., though I think I might tweak it a little. Not much call for Animal Husbandry (at least not in games I've played).

I really like the idea of the starting equipment. It seems very hobo/homelessesque. Starting weapons is a little heavy though for this being a modern age game and not a fantasy one where you HAD to be armed for bear, bandits, or bogeymen.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:I understand it's not strictly a hobo skill, and didn't mean to limit it any. I apologize if I sounded possessive of it. Was just justifying my reason for allowing other mediums.

Not sure what you mean, but so long as you're not mad at me. Ok.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Not sure what you mean, but so long as you're not mad at me. Ok.
I am saying I try to write skills to have some versatility in their usage, not be one-trick ponies. And, no, I'm not mad at you.

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Heeey. what do ya know. There is. Page 99. It also has 19-20 ish skills. Now this one I might be able to straight adopt for the Rural Homeless Occ., though I think I might tweak it a little. Not much call for Animal Husbandry (at least not in games I've played).

I really like the idea of the starting equipment. It seems very hobo/homelessesque. Starting weapons is a little heavy though for this being a modern age game and not a fantasy one where you HAD to be armed for bear, bandits, or bogeymen.
Right, but it would be more easily adapted than the other one from RUE. If you tweak it, please post your version here. I don't have that particular book (PFRPG2) handy at the moment, so it would take me a while to do one myself based on that book's version. But if decide not to do one, I may just have to get my book out of storage and do one myself. I don't play Rifts, nor do I own any of the books to do a version of it based on the RUE.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Mephisto wrote:I think if I were to write up a Brawling skill I'd have an extra bonus attack but it wouldn't stack with Boxing. It would have Dodge, Punch (1D6), Power Punch (1D10; -3 to Strike), Uppercut (1D6), Critical Strike, Critical Strike from Behind at level one, with +1 to strike at levels 2, 6 and 10. It wouldn't provide an Automatic Parry, but would have a Critical Strike at levels 19 and 20 at level 4. Also an S.D.C. bonus of +2D6. A save vs pain of +1 at level 1, 5, and 12. Note that I'm basing this skill more on how gypsies in the UK live, moving from town to town and getting into a lot of fights, not really a hobo per se.

Sounds good. If I say "please", could you format it out so that it looks like a regular skill? Please?
Reading over this a second time I notice it looks more like a style of HtH training that just a straight physical skill (the way boxing is portrayed in the rules). I think it's because you have listed, dodge, and automatic parry in the description. maybe i'm just reading it wrong.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Mephisto wrote:OK Fine, here it is:

Brawling(Physical):

Note: This counts as a secondary skill.

The character often engages in wild fist-fights, with no regard for personal well being. The object is to swing and hit and either Knockout the opponent or do enough damage for others to step in and call the fight off. It's not technical training or gym schooled, but is trained in punching meat carcasses, sand bags and quite often, alley fights.

Bonuses: +1 Attack Per Melee Round (not cumulative with Boxing, a Martial Art Style or a Physical Training focus/discipline), Strike/Punch (1D6), Power Punch (1D10; -3 to Strike), Uppercut (1D6), Knock Out, Knock Out from Behind at level one, with +1 to strike at levels 2, 6 and 10. Knock Out at natural rolls of 19 and 20 at level 4. Knock Out at natural roll of 18 at level 9. Also an S.D.C. bonus of +2D6 at level one. A save vs pain of +1 at level 1, 5, and 12.

This edit removed Critical Strike for a reason the goal of brawling is Knock Out.

Nice flavor text!

I just have a couple questions for clarification.

1. Not cumulative with Boxing. I get that, makes sense, no problem. A Martial Art Style?? Do you mean the N&SS MA styles specifically or is this meant to include such things as HtH Martial Arts/Ninjitsu/Basic/Expert/Assassin available in the lower powered games? A Physical Training Focus. I'm assuming you're talking about the HU power category here right?

2. Knock out what (roll) is required for this other than a declared KO?

3. Knock out from behind at level 1. Same question as #2 (other than I know I have to hit them from behind, which is considered an auto critical hit (2x damage) if I remember my rules). Is this the counter to Boxing's auto KO on a Nat. 20?

wild fist fights with no regard for personal well being

If you don't worry about defense when fighting, wouldn't that acclimate you to taking more damage? 2D6 SDC for Brawling vs 3D6 SDC for Boxing.

do enough damage for others to step in and call the fight off. Strike/Punch (1D6), Power Punch (1D10; -3 to Strike), Uppercut (1D6)

Is the high base punch damage meant to replace the 1D4 to PS that boxing offers?

Observations in comparison to Boxing
wild fist fights with no regard for personal well being

This explains the lack of parry, dodge, and roll with punch bonuses. Makes good sense.

After rereading my questions/observations I noticed something. It sounds like I'm equating Brawling to a replacement Boxing skill. I don't mean it that way. I know one is not meant to replace the other on equal terms. It's 4:40 am, I'm having a bit of trouble finding the right words. I hope these questions are taken in the right context. THANK YOU very much Mephisto for this skill and any future revisions.

TOSA Nate.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Yes, I will definitely be doing a Crop Circle Code at some point here in the near future, if nothing else than to add something for my Zeta Rheticulans I posted a while back. Still trying to figure out the prerequisites for the mechanics of it is all.
You might want to post it in the Zeta Rheticulans thread with a link here if the skill centers around them.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Gryphon Chick wrote:You might want to post it in the Zeta Rheticulans thread with a link here if the skill centers around them.
That is what I did. I posted the skills to the Zeta Reticuli Greys thread at the link below:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=108897&p=2644347#p2644347
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Mephisto wrote:
Mephisto wrote:OK Fine, here it is:

Brawling(Physical):

Note: This counts as a secondary skill.

The character often engages in wild fist-fights, with no regard for personal well being. The object is to swing and hit and either Knockout the opponent or do enough damage for others to step in and call the fight off. It's not technical training or gym schooled, but is trained in punching meat carcasses, sand bags and quite often, alley fights.

Bonuses: +1 Attack Per Melee Round (not cumulative with Boxing, a Martial Art Style or a Physical Training focus/discipline), Strike/Punch (1D6), Power Punch (1D10; -3 to Strike), Uppercut (1D6), Knock Out, Knock Out from Behind at level one, with +1 to strike at levels 2, 6 and 10. Knock Out at natural rolls of 19 and 20 at level 4. Knock Out at natural roll of 18 at level 9. Also an S.D.C. bonus of +2D6 at level one. A save vs pain of +1 at level 1, 5, and 12.

This edit removed Critical Strike for a reason the goal of brawling is Knock Out.

It's a secondary skill, so all characters can select it, that's why the notation is there. And it's a called KO at level 4. The KO from Behind is automatic that's the reason he's a brawler it gives him an edge. Brawlers aren't into precision striking they just want to punch someone in the face and see them drop. For the bonuses given it gives a LOT of bonuses for a secondary skill so I didn't want to make it even more strong.

I've read this post several times since you put it up and I'm usually to tired to comment. Thank you again for the skill. Part of my brain thinks that you didn't manage to answer any question other than the Ko from behind being automatic. The other part of my brain just plain isn't sure. I promise I'm not trying to be a pain, critical, or make things more difficult than they are.

If all characters can take it, why does it say
+1 Attack Per Melee Round (not cumulative with Boxing, a Martial Art Style or a Physical Training focus/discipline)
?
Does that just mean you don't get the extra attack?

The KO from behind is automatic..so as long as I'm sneaking up on the guy and pop him one in the back of the skull. even if I roll a 5 it's a KO?

The level 4 KO on a 19-20 is a called shot but can be from any direction right?

Nate

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

cryptozoology
a knowledge skill that allow the user of said skill to indetify weird creature(if rifts this applies to mysterous creature from BEFORE the rifts as well)
base chance 45% + 5% per level
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Does anyone remember WAAY back when there was the post about sub-minor powers? Gem's such as always having exact change, being impeccably dressed, or always knowing what time it is.

Anyone have idea's for skills along this theme? Things that the PC knows but are nearly useless, sort of like hobbies. In my game these are called inconsequential skills. Usually how they're determined is we roll 1D6 for number of skills then 3D10 for skill percentage and level increase rate.

I have one PC with the skills of Competitive Belching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDdbg_Q-LMI and Dramatic Posturing (not exactly this, but the closest I could get) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV30eIzU4kE

Have fun with it. I'm excited to see what you can come up with.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Mephisto wrote:Rough-Housing (Physical)
Rough-Housing is a skill that has evolved from kids wrestling on lawns around the world. It involves no striking as broken hands and fractured skulls are tough to explain, while Rough-Housing is done a lot more commonly. The basic idea of Rough-Housing is that you go for a tackle or trip, get your opponent to the ground then go for a choke or body hold. It's up to the opponent on the bottom to escape from Rough-Housing, not the person initiating it.

Although it has similarities to wrestling, this is not even high school wrestling. This is pushing someone to the ground, either choking him or her out or making their life suck by carrying your weight while you talk to them, or working their arm fatigue to stop your choke. There is no way this skill will enable you to enter the UFC or stop the average beat cop, let alone beat a super villain.

Hahaha I love it!
You mean like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4v3I9SaDcU
or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSHUr2aIz_Q
Attacker rolls to strike..success.
Defender rolls to dodge..fails, and is knocked to the ground and pinned under the attacker.
Defender, "Uuuughh! Get off of me you lardass!
Attacker, " http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OAbGiq1yDA "

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Does anyone remember WAAY back when there was the post about sub-minor powers? Gem's such as always having exact change, being impeccably dressed, or always knowing what time it is.

Anyone have idea's for skills along this theme? Things that the PC knows but are nearly useless, sort of like hobbies. In my game these are called inconsequential skills. Usually how they're determined is we roll 1D6 for number of skills then 3D10 for skill percentage and level increase rate.

I have one PC with the skills of Competitive Belching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDdbg_Q-LMI and Dramatic Posturing (not exactly this, but the closest I could get) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV30eIzU4kE

Have fun with it. I'm excited to see what you can come up with.
I think there are plenty of pointless skills out there already without us adding to them. I frankly don't want to wast time writing a bunch of stuff I would not use ever.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Ok. We'll count SG out. But when I use my competitive belching skill to create a sonic shock wave that reverberates and collapses the ice tunnel on the platoon of Nursing Home Nazi's that are bent on taking over Cleavland, I don't want to hear you complain about not being useful. :P

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Mephisto wrote:Taking over Cleveland? To what clean it up and rehabilitate Lake Erie?

It could have something to do with the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. Who really understands what they're up to. The ways of the Nazi are mysterious and unknowable. Regardless of their motive, they must be stopped.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Ok. We'll count SG out. But when I use my competitive belching skill to create a sonic shock wave that reverberates and collapses the ice tunnel on the platoon of Nursing Home Nazi's that are bent on taking over Cleavland, I don't want to hear you complain about not being useful. :P
You would need a power on top of the skill to accomplish that, SIR.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Gryphon Chick wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Ok. We'll count SG out. But when I use my competitive belching skill to create a sonic shock wave that reverberates and collapses the ice tunnel on the platoon of Nursing Home Nazi's that are bent on taking over Cleavland, I don't want to hear you complain about not being useful. :P
You would need a power on top of the skill to accomplish that, SIR.

I propose that a belch of sufficient volume, length and resonance could possibly cause the ice to vibrate and shatter/collapse, much the way an opera singer can shatter glass by sustaining the right note. Not a super power per se, but a finely honed skill.

:lol: I'm not seriously arguing it's effectiveness. I just thought it a clever comeback for SG's comment about NEVER using the skill. I use said skills to add flavor and help round out the personality of the PC. I mean he is a Ibex (species of wild goat) mutant after all, so belching seemed a good fit. :mrgreen:

:ok: :ok: for calling me sir. I like your positive attitude.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Mephisto wrote:Thanks for liking the skill. HTH: Basic, Brawling and Rough-Housing is kind of a hobo or non-fighter toolkit set, but the Besieger will still laugh at any character that would even try and hurt him with that knowledge. So yeah Brawling and Rough-Housing are really watered down versions of Boxing and Wrestling but there's enough knowledge in both skills to do them (and would make good skills for Victim characters in BTS games).

Mephisto I had a nagging thought. If, as you say, Basic, Brawling and Rough-Housing are a non-fighter tookit set I think it might be a bit unbalanced. Please let me explain. I'm playing under the TMNT & OSr ruleset, which gives all PC's the 2 attacks for living. If a non fighter PC were to select the right set of skills they would wind up with 4 APM at level 1

2 for living
1 for brawling
1 for rough-housing
-----------
4 Attacks per Melee

This outclasses ALMOST every other RAW PC combination. Before the invention of these 2 skills the only other way to gain APM at L1 was to A. Take Boxing, B. Have an extra limb of some sort or other natural APM granting ability, or C. Roll the Feral education which grants 1 APM. There might be some others, but those are the ones that stick out. More often than not (in my experience) Boxing was pretty much the only way to get an extra attack.

I am NOT suggesting that you change anything. Heck, those hobo schmoe's need all the help they can get. I just made the connection when collecting the hobo skills for printing and wanted to share my discovery.

Great Work Mephisto. I can't wait to see more.

TOSA Nate

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

GreatArelius1
D-Bee

Unread post by GreatArelius1 »

I really like rough housing and as am expert in it :) I think a +1 to P.S. would be a nice touch or maybe +1 to strike with tackle or a +1 to roll. All would be a 1st level bonus. Just tossing it out there.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:I propose that a belch of sufficient volume, length and resonance could possibly cause the ice to vibrate and shatter/collapse, much the way an opera singer can shatter glass by sustaining the right note. Not a super power per se, but a finely honed skill.
I challenge you then, sir, to write up a Competitive Belching skill. :bandit:
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

:bandit: Challenge accepted :ok:

Competitive Belching (Physical):

Like the Competitive Eater, the Competition Belcher has trained his body to perform outside the normal ranges. Through hours of practice, the PC has conditioned himself to expel air trapped within his digestive system in a controlled manner. While not the most socially graceful of skills the PC is capable of some impressive, if not dubious, feats.
25% +5%
Bonuses at level
1. Maximum belch length 5 seconds. Maximum belch volume 70 decibels, +2 Save vs vomiting.
2. + or - 1D4 to Charm Impress / Disgust Revolt depending on the Socio-economic make up and age of the audience when performing a belch. (GM determines audience make up/reaction)
3. +1D4+1 seconds to belch length
4. +1 Save vs. pain. +1D10 decibels to belch volume. Character can talk and burp at the same time
5. PC can now control the tone/resonance of their burps from a simple 'erp" to a deep slow bellowing rumble. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTNeNUXR6qw
6. +1D4+1 seconds to belch length +1 Save vs vomiting, +1 Save vs. pain
7. +1D10 decibels to belch volume
8. +1d4 to Intimidate through Bull frogging (PS inflates his stomach by swallowing large amounts of air making himself appear larger than normal).

Consequence of a failed roll.
01-25. PC loses duration control. Burp is short, harsh, and abrupt. Next attempt is at -5% due to throat pain.
26-50. PC completely fails at burp and suffers painful stomach cramps. PC loses initiative for next round.
51-75. PC loses control of burp and it is forced out through the nostrils. -2 to Strike due to acid reflux in the sinus cavity and massive eye watering
76-00. Catastrophic failure. While the belch is loud, long and resonant it dislodges something on its way out. Pc must roll to save vs vomiting or risk puking up to 1D6 feet. Initiative is lost and combat bonuses and attacks are halved for next round if save is not made.
:puke:

Thoughts comments? According to youtube, the loudest belch on record is 110 dB and the longest is 36 seconds.

Bear in mind, this is my first attempt skill creation.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote::bandit: Challenge accepted :ok:

Competitive Belching (Physical):

Like the Competitive Eater, the Competition Belcher has trained his body to perform outside the normal ranges. Through hours of practice, the PC has conditioned himself to expel air trapped within his digestive system in a controlled manner. While not the most socially graceful of skills the PC is capable of some impressive, if not dubious, feats.
25% +5%
Bonuses at level
1. Maximum belch length 5 seconds. Maximum belch volume 70 decibels, +2 Save vs vomiting.
2. + or - 1D4 to Charm Impress / Disgust Revolt depending on the Socio-economic make up and age of the audience when performing a belch. (GM determines audience make up/reaction)
3. +1D4+1 seconds to belch length
4. +1 Save vs. pain. +1D10 decibels to belch volume. Character can talk and burp at the same time
5. PC can now control the tone/resonance of their burps from a simple 'erp" to a deep slow bellowing rumble. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTNeNUXR6qw
6. +1D4+1 seconds to belch length +1 Save vs vomiting, +1 Save vs. pain
7. +1D10 decibels to belch volume
8. +1d4 to Intimidate through Bull frogging (PS inflates his stomach by swallowing large amounts of air making himself appear larger than normal).

Consequence of a failed roll.
01-25% PC loses duration control. Burp is short, harsh, and abrupt. Next attempt is at -5% due to throat pain.
26-50% PC completely fails at burp and suffers painful stomach cramps. PC loses initiative for next round.
51-75% PC loses control of burp and it is forced out through the nostrils. -2 to Strike due to acid reflux in the sinus cavity and massive eye watering
76-00% Catastrophic failure. While the belch is loud, long and resonant it dislodges something on its way out. Pc must roll to save vs vomiting or risk puking up to 1D6 feet. Initiative is lost and combat bonuses and attacks are halved for next round if save is not made.
:puke:

Thoughts comments? According to youtube, the loudest belch on record is 110 dB and the longest is 36 seconds.

Bear in mind, this is my first attempt skill creation.
What, no bonuses for levels 9-15? Also, your Consequences table should list the numbers as percentages (note how I changed it in the quote).
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:What, no bonuses for levels 9-15? Also, your Consequences table should list the numbers as percentages (note how I changed it in the quote).

I hit a creative block. I'm sure there are some bonuses for level's 9-15 but I'm stumped as to what they may be.

Thank you for the correction to %.

Any other suggestions?

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Mephisto
I give my PC's inconsequential skills to give them a little flavor and help round out their personality. Yes, i assign a skill % to my character's hobbies rather than just say "PC X is in to this". Stone Gargoyle had a similar thought and after a bit of discussion challenged me to write it up. What you saw was my attempt.
As I'm sure it's been stated before in this particular thread, "If you don't like a skill that's been created here, you don't have to have it in your game." That being said, I bear you no ill will or malice, continue to be highly appreciative of your fantastic work, and hope we can remain amicable forum friends.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Stone Gargoyle wrote:What, no bonuses for levels 9-15? Also, your Consequences table should list the numbers as percentages (note how I changed it in the quote).

I hit a creative block. I'm sure there are some bonuses for level's 9-15 but I'm stumped as to what they may be.

Any other suggestions?
Not at this time.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Any other suggestions?
Not at this time.

Really? Wow. I'm not sure how to react to that. I'm used to criticism and being told how something should have been done or could have been done differently. So thanks I guess.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Mephisto wrote:Why would anyone learn this skill or practice it so proficiently? To be a YouTube sensation or be in a Jack (yes I said it )ass movie? I mean it's not very practical at all.

Unless you're a carnie sideshow act. Being able to belch the national anthem can be a lucrative skill to have at county fairs or Jeff Foxworthy conventions.
Regard it as a more primitive form of yodeling(which I imagine would be covered under the more versatile 'Singing' skill) in which case you can probably use it for primitive signaling over long distances.
Clearly somebody without a desperate need for more important and versatile skills might take this in a culture of plenty where characters aren't loading up on survival and weaponry skills...or deranged people like Crazies or Ludicrous Mages and other off-the-wall types, in which cases those characters might be expected(and rightfully pressured) to use the skill in new and frightening ways.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

origami(if it hasn't been done before of course)
the japinese art of paper folding,you can fold paper into any shape you can imagine,if you make the roll of course)
base roll-34% +6 per level.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Would a Neotantra skill be Domestic, Physical, or Technical/Philosophical?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

taalismn wrote:
Mephisto wrote:Why would anyone learn this skill or practice it so proficiently? To be a YouTube sensation or be in a Jack (yes I said it )ass movie? I mean it's not very practical at all.

Unless you're a carnie sideshow act. Being able to belch the national anthem can be a lucrative skill to have at county fairs or Jeff Foxworthy conventions.
Regard it as a more primitive form of yodeling(which I imagine would be covered under the more versatile 'Singing' skill) in which case you can probably use it for primitive signaling over long distances.
Clearly somebody without a desperate need for more important and versatile skills might take this in a culture of plenty where characters aren't loading up on survival and weaponry skills...or deranged people like Crazies or Ludicrous Mages and other off-the-wall types, in which cases those characters might be expected(and rightfully pressured) to use the skill in new and frightening ways.

This made me laugh, thank you! As I told Mephisto this is an inconsequential skill.. a hobby. It's not "really" meant to serve a game changing purpose. So having it or not having doesn't make any difference in the PC's success in the game.

As for the setting, TMNT. In my game world, mutants are treated as a somewhat begrudged minority (kind of like black prejudice in the 60's. Accepted and tolerated, but not overtly welcome in all areas [some areas will be more hostile to mutants than others]).

I like the idea of it being used by a ludicrous mage in "new and frightening ways". :ok:

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

13eowulf wrote:Would a Neotantra skill be Domestic, Physical, or Technical/Philosophical?

If by tantra you mean the same tantra referred to in tantric sex, I'd say philosophical. i think (don't quote me, look it up) that it is derived from a form of yoga.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Mephisto wrote:Thanks for liking the skill. HTH: Basic, Brawling and Rough-Housing is kind of a hobo or non-fighter toolkit set, but the Besieger will still laugh at any character that would even try and hurt him with that knowledge. So yeah Brawling and Rough-Housing are really watered down versions of Boxing and Wrestling but there's enough knowledge in both skills to do them (and would make good skills for Victim characters in BTS games).

Mephisto I had a nagging thought. If, as you say, Basic, Brawling and Rough-Housing are a non-fighter tookit set I think it might be a bit unbalanced. Please let me explain. I'm playing under the TMNT & OSr ruleset, which gives all PC's the 2 attacks for living. If a non fighter PC were to select the right set of skills they would wind up with 4 APM at level 1

2 for living
1 for brawling
1 for rough-housing
-----------
4 Attacks per Melee

This outclasses ALMOST every other RAW PC combination. Before the invention of these 2 skills the only other way to gain APM at L1 was to A. Take Boxing, B. Have an extra limb of some sort or other natural APM granting ability, or C. Roll the Feral education which grants 1 APM. There might be some others, but those are the ones that stick out. More often than not (in my experience) Boxing was pretty much the only way to get an extra attack.

I am NOT suggesting that you change anything. Heck, those hobo schmoe's need all the help they can get. I just made the connection when collecting the hobo skills for printing and wanted to share my discovery.

Great Work Mephisto. I can't wait to see more.

TOSA Nate

Yeah, but the APM doesnt stack up well against someone with HTH Basic
2 [for living. Even in HU2, you get the 2 for living]
2 [hand to hand basic]
1 [brawling]
1 [rough housing]
=======================
6 total.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”