ANY ThOUGHTS ON

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Re: ANY ThOUGHTS ON

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

The company that owns it went bankrupt so even if Palladium wanted to get the rights back they couldnt. Isn't the legal system great?
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

it is a shame too I always wanted to try it was kinda hoping either it would get apped out to a more modern phone or get an emulator or something for the pc
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Akashic Soldier wrote:The company that owns it went bankrupt so even if Palladium wanted to get the rights back they couldnt. Isn't the legal system great?

If nobody owns the rights, then nobody can sue anybody for infringing on those rights.
Which means that if Palladium wanted to convert the software into an app or other incodenation, I don't believe that anybody could or would do anything to stop them.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:If nobody owns the rights, then nobody can sue anybody for infringing on those rights.
Which means that if Palladium wanted to convert the software into an app or other incodenation, I don't believe that anybody could or would do anything to stop them.

That isn't how the legal system works. The bankrupt company owns the license therefor they must purchase it back from said company to be able to make a new game. However, because the company is bankrupt it cannot do further business and thus, cannot sell the rights. Ergo... license limbo. It sucks, but thems the breaks.
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Although, this site states:
RIFTS: Promise of Power © 2005 Palladium Books, Inc. All rights reserved. Nokia and N-Gage are trademarks or registered trademarks of Nokia Corporation. RIFTS, Promise of Power and character likenesses are trademarks or registered trademarks owned and licensed by Palladium Books, Inc. Developed by Backbone Entertainment.

So the title and characters are trademarked by Palladium.
The game was developed by Backbone Entertainment, who seems to still be in business.
And Nokia owns the rights to "Nokia" and "N-Gage," if that matters (and I don't think it would).

Which makes it look like somebody should own the rights to that game.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Akashic Soldier wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:If nobody owns the rights, then nobody can sue anybody for infringing on those rights.

That isn't how the legal system works. The bankrupt company owns the license therefor they must purchase it back from said company to be able to make a new game.

Or else... what?

Akashic Soldier
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:Or else... what?

Or else you're not legally allowed to produce the property. This happens more often than you might think. And you've got to read what I am saying KC. They company that made it still owns it. They just no longer exist. Technically, within the law even though they no longer exist it is still theirs and thus it cannot be bought back. It sucks, its lame, but its the law.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Akashic Soldier wrote:

Or else you're not legally allowed to produce the property.

Right.
So you produce it illegally, and...?

And you've got to read what I am saying KC.

I've read it.
You apparently haven't read what I've said.
Because I already addressed the law that you're taking about, in my initial post, where I said:
If nobody owns the rights, then nobody can sue anybody for infringing on those rights.

I never said that it wouldn't be illegal.
I simply pointed out that there don't seem to be any consequences for breaking that particular law, because it's a civil law, and there's nobody to sue you over it..

Did you catch that this time through?

Because you don't seem to read things as thoroughly as you seem to believe.

They company that made it still owns it. They just no longer exist.

Maybe you missed the other post I made, where I pointed out that it looks like they DO exist...?

SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Akashic Soldier wrote:

That isn't how the legal system works. The bankrupt company owns the license therefor they must purchase it back from said company to be able to make a new game. However, because the company is bankrupt it cannot do further business and thus, cannot sell the rights. Ergo... license limbo. It sucks, but thems the breaks.

Sad but true...
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:

Or else you're not legally allowed to produce the property.

Right.
So you produce it illegally, and...?

And you've got to read what I am saying KC.

I've read it.
You apparently haven't read what I've said.
Because I already addressed the law that you're taking about, in my initial post, where I said:

I never said that it wouldn't be illegal.
I simply pointed out that there don't seem to be any consequences for breaking that particular law, because it's a civil law, and there's nobody to sue you over it..

Did you catch that this time through?

Because you don't seem to read things as thoroughly as you seem to believe.

They company that made it still owns it. They just no longer exist.

Maybe you missed the other post I made, where I pointed out that it looks like they DO exist...?

Cant print or produce something without a patent or liscense. Cant get those when they are owned by someone else, even if the owner is lost in Lost. :(
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:

That isn't how the legal system works. The bankrupt company owns the license therefor they must purchase it back from said company to be able to make a new game.

Or else... what?

Or else this, duh.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:

Or else... what?

Or else this, duh.

Exactly.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

SittingBull wrote:Cant print or produce something without a patent or liscense.

Or else...?

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:

Or else... what?

Or else this, duh.

Exactly.

Sadly though that wasn't my first choice. :(
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Wouldn't a company that's gone through bankruptcy proceedings and no longer in operation have sold its assets in order to pay its creditors? It seems dubious to me that a company would be allowed to take an IP with it into oblivion.
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

PB has had enough of legal issues surrounding computer games (re: Rift) to last them a lifetime, methinks.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Qev wrote:Wouldn't a company that's gone through bankruptcy proceedings and no longer in operation have sold its assets in order to pay its creditors? It seems dubious to me that a company would be allowed to take an IP with it into oblivion.

In a perfect world that is exactly what would happen.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Again, though, Backbone Entertainment doesn't seem to be bankrupt, and they're the ones who developed the game.
I'd expect that they'd be the ones to own the rights.
If some other company owned the rights for some reason, and that company went bankrupt, I'd be curious to know what company that was.

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Akashic Soldier wrote:
Qev wrote:Wouldn't a company that's gone through bankruptcy proceedings and no longer in operation have sold its assets in order to pay its creditors? It seems dubious to me that a company would be allowed to take an IP with it into oblivion.

In a perfect world that is exactly what would happen.

Well, what I mean is, nothing goes *poof* and vanishes. Some entity somewhere either holds the rights, or they revert back to whomever they licensed said rights from. Or, at worst, they fall into the public domain since nobody can show they hold ownership.

The idea that someone's property could fall into what's effectively an IP black hole for all eternity is... a bit unlikely.
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by nilgravity »

theoretically a new LLC (or other corporate entity) could be made to reformat and develop the game. The LLC could absorb any legal consequences.

Return to “Rifts®”