What area of the world do you use?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Icefalcon
Champion

What area of the world do you use?

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I was just wonder what area of the world/country you run your games in. Do you use an area that you and possibly your players are familiar with or do you run in an area that you know and your players do not or do you run in an area neither you are the players know nothing about?
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Re: What area of the world do you use?

Unread post by Grell »

Sacramento CA, FTW!
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Icefalcon
Champion

My Dead Reign campaign is set in the small town of Snow Hill, Md. Of course, all of my players live here in Minnesota and have never been there. But I grew up hunting all over the countryside there and I grew up near Washington DC.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

In the three times we've done Dead Reign. We did 'Here/our home town/area" Once. And it was fun. We did one in Hawaii, and one outside of Houston Texas. Three very different games, but all three fun.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Icefalcon
Champion

Grell wrote:Sacramento CA, FTW!

What is the regular population of Sacramento?
Icefalcon
Champion

Pepsi Jedi wrote:In the three times we've done Dead Reign. We did 'Here/our home town/area" Once. And it was fun. We did one in Hawaii, and one outside of Houston Texas. Three very different games, but all three fun.

In any of the games, did your players enter a large city?
Which island of Hawaii?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Icefalcon wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:In the three times we've done Dead Reign. We did 'Here/our home town/area" Once. And it was fun. We did one in Hawaii, and one outside of Houston Texas. Three very different games, but all three fun.

In any of the games, did your players enter a large city?
Which island of Hawaii?

Depends on your definition of large. Marquette isn't what I'd call a large city but we went there.

Then we went to Houston. Which I do consider large. In that one the GM was sort of mean. "Your girlfriends/wives/boyfriend went into town to move one of the girlfriends stuff to the house in the suburbs. They were staying over night and packing.... Zombie rise hits... what do you do?" Sort of thing. (( Alot more to it but I'm not writing a book))

So yeah. while thousands and thousands were trying to get out of Houston, we were going in. It was funny. one of the guys in the group was all "SCREW THAT! (Female dog) IS DEAD! I"M NOT GOING IN THERE!!" and the rest of us being some what more experienced players, took the "hook" and went with it. The guy came along telling us how stupid we were the entire time. We thought it was a bit more the player being pissy than the character....

You know... now that I think about it... He died first..... His girlfriend (NPC), when we did finally find them. Not so happy. If memory serves she ended up sharing a tent with one of the other guys and HIS wife.

It was just an NPC. A goad to help motivate players. Mr Complainer got LIVID when that happened. He was in the process of rolling up a new character to "Meet up" with the group mid game but whooooooo. NERD RAGE!! RAR!!! Caused a real life rift between the players for a few weeks. lol guy was PISSSSSSSSSSED.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Icefalcon
Champion

Yeah, I have a couple of players like that. They rage at the littlest things that do not go exactly how they think they should. Being a very forceful personality myself, I can keep a handle on the group (even though there are 7 players). It also helps that I am four years older then the two oldest players and 19 years older than the youngest. Even my wife, who plays, is 10 years younger than me (and she is the third oldest player, not counting me).

The other thing that I have noticed is that since all but two of my players (the oldest and the youngest) all grew up in rural, cornfield Minnesota. Myself and the other two grew up in large cities (oldest player in Iowa, youngest in Detroit and myself near Washington DC). They have some pretty weird concepts of what things should be there. They have been surprised by a few things that I have run at them so far. They still have yet to go into a city of over 7000 people. The place they are currently located is a town of just under 4000. They have decided that it is their best bet to turn the whole town into a safe haven community. I didn't even have to goad them into this decision. What helps is that they have decided that they are going to have to raid some of the larger towns and cities for supplies. I have a few special surprises up my sleeve for when they do (such as Death Cults, Bandits and some special homebrew zombies).
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Icefalcon wrote:

418,711 was what the sign at the city limit said yesterday. :)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Icefalcon
Champion

Grell wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:

418,711 was what the sign at the city limit said yesterday. :)

293,098 zombies if you follow the 70% rule and 334,969 if you follow the 80% rule. That is a bit respectable. But that in the almost overwhelming range for zombies. I say almost because they are spread through the city and it would take time for them to filter into any one location but can be a real danger if the players are not careful.

The closest big town in my current game only has a regular population of 33,000 people. Not as dangerous for my first time players. However, they are stuck on the Delaware, Maryland, Virginia peninsula and to get off of it they will have to pass through one of the larger cities with anywhere from 100,000 to 3 million people.
gdub411
Wanderer

Unread post by gdub411 »

We're starting in downtown Chicago...near Wrigleyville. 1st time playing. I'm a bit worried we're going to not survive. He is doing something different, however, as we;ll be starting DAY 1 of the Zombie Apocalypse.
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 3-73 Cavalry. Leading the way! Airborne!!!
All hail CJ, Future Ruler of the Megavesre!

Unread post by PhellaOne »

gdub411 wrote:We're starting in downtown Chicago...near Wrigleyville. 1st time playing. I'm a bit worried we're going to not survive. He is doing something different, however, as we;ll be starting DAY 1 of the Zombie Apocalypse.

Is Dead Reign the only game you play? Looking to increase my player count. I live by Kimball and Lawrence. We also sometimes play at a friend's house on Irving and Kostner. We play EVERYTHING but Dead Reign.
All will bow to CJ, Future Ruler of the Megaverse!

"Storytellas Studios... that's how we imagined it!"
http://www.storytellasstudios.com (I've bought and registered the domain, next is buying the servers!)
StorytellasStudios@groups.live.com for now.

Game on! Long live Palladium Books!!!
Xbox Live gamertag: xX PhellaOne Xx
gdub411
Wanderer

Unread post by gdub411 »

Actually, I live in the burbs. Carpentersville, IL. Its about 25 miles from Chicago. I might be interested, however.
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 3-73 Cavalry. Leading the way! Airborne!!!
All hail CJ, Future Ruler of the Megavesre!

Unread post by PhellaOne »

gdub411 wrote:Actually, I live in the burbs. Carpentersville, IL. Its about 25 miles from Chicago. I might be interested, however.

PM'ed.
All will bow to CJ, Future Ruler of the Megaverse!

"Storytellas Studios... that's how we imagined it!"
http://www.storytellasstudios.com (I've bought and registered the domain, next is buying the servers!)
StorytellasStudios@groups.live.com for now.

Game on! Long live Palladium Books!!!
Xbox Live gamertag: xX PhellaOne Xx
Icefalcon
Champion

gdub411 wrote:We're starting in downtown Chicago...near Wrigleyville. 1st time playing. I'm a bit worried we're going to not survive. He is doing something different, however, as we;ll be starting DAY 1 of the Zombie Apocalypse.

Hope your group keeps back-up characters on hand for this one.
gdub411
Wanderer

Unread post by gdub411 »

Icefalcon wrote:

Hope your group keeps back-up characters on hand for this one.

Well I know the GM. There will be NPCs who will come in and out of the campaign. Its his trademark. Oftentimes, when a character dies, we'll take the role of an NPC and they will become a PC.

Our group consists of a Shepherd of the Damned, A SWAT police officer, a Landscaper and a Newswoman. The stats for the SWAT guy are incredible. He actually rolled them as we all witnessed it. I have never seen stats like that in all my gaming(34 years). Healing will be an issue, no doubt. The rest of us are fairly ordinary.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

none.
the books are used for fodder in my other setting campaigns... (I despise pure Z-pocalyse games)
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Icefalcon
Champion

Damian Magecraft wrote:none.
the books are used for fodder in my other setting campaigns... (I despise pure Z-pocalyse games)

Then why even take the time to post here?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Icefalcon wrote:

To point out that the books have their uses even for folks like me.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Icefalcon
Champion

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:

Which settings do you use the books in?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Icefalcon wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:

Which settings do you use the books in?
Heroes Unlimited, BTS, ATB, Rifts, Chaos Earth, Phase World, NightBane, Ninjas & Superspies, PFRPG, Robotech, & Mechanoids.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I think Vermont is good.
Icefalcon
Champion

gaby wrote:Well I think Vermont is good.

What part of Vermont?
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Rutland,it where the players go to,after gateing way from the city.
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

they all started in the town we now live in Jackson, NJ then they went to phittsburg then they as they were heading towards the rockies there plane was downed and now they are in wyoming.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

If i can get a game up in September, it will take in the whole of Florida
The Dragon Has Spoken
Icefalcon
Champion

Snake Eyes wrote:If i can get a game up in September, it will take in the whole of Florida

Rotting zombies, ewww. I wonder how much alligators would like the taste of zombies?
Icefalcon
Champion

John Crichton wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:I was just wonder what area of the world/country you run your games in. Do you use an area that you and possibly your players are familiar with or do you run in an area that you know and your players do not or do you run in an area neither you are the players know nothing about?

Dallas Texas and Denver Colorado. The Colorado games are pretty tough. Lots of skill rolls, and a great GM made it great.

Lots of zombies in both areas?
Snake Eyes
Hero

Icefalcon wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:If i can get a game up in September, it will take in the whole of Florida

Rotting zombies, ewww. I wonder how much alligators would like the taste of zombies?

:lol: if the gators eat them, the less i have to kill
The Dragon Has Spoken
Icefalcon
Champion

Snake Eyes wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:

This holds true for any of the larger wild animals (tigers, bears, rhinos and other zoo animals) that are already there are released from the zoos.
Icefalcon
Champion

Running anywhere near a large population zone is going to mean lots of zombies, especially if there are hospitals or other places used in an emergency (such as military bases, churches, disaster relief centers, etc.) to house the sick or masses of dead bodies awaiting burial/cremation. Anyplace is going to become a fight for supplies after the first couple of weeks. There will be no refrigeration to keep food from spoiling. Only canned/dried foods are going to be viable after a while and even then pests will infest most of the non-canned food. Also being a large urban center is going to mean a serious lack of wildlife (unless you are willing to eat house pets) and is going to mean people not getting enough meat. The only thing that being close to a large urban center is good for is the abundance of non-food supplies.

On the one hand, I would rather start in the country within 50-100 miles of a medium population center (30,000 or less pre-Reign) so that I could get supplies easily but not have do a lot of fighting to get to them. But in the long run, you will eventually have to hit that large city for things you need.
Illendaver
Explorer
Comment: If your happy and you know it clap your hands!
Location: Behind the throne, Whispering my comment into the emperors ear...

Unread post by Illendaver »

My first Dead Reign campaign involved a lot of one on one time with the GM, we were in Denver Colorado with a map of the city. There wasn't a group, he just assigned start places for our char and we roleplayed until we actually ran into another char. I can't begin to explain how hard this was in game mechanic terms for the players or logisitic terms for the GM.
The second game was set here in the North Platte Nebraska, but we only lasted here for one play session. Wound up going south to a little town and taking over.
My third game has started last week in Chicago. In the year 1933.
*McRipper said so*
Me: So, what all happened last time we played?
Friend: We went back to my place and got ROFL stomped by zombies.
Icefalcon
Champion

Illendaver wrote:My first Dead Reign campaign involved a lot of one on one time with the GM, we were in Denver Colorado with a map of the city. There wasn't a group, he just assigned start places for our char and we roleplayed until we actually ran into another char. I can't begin to explain how hard this was in game mechanic terms for the players or logisitic terms for the GM.
The second game was set here in the North Platte Nebraska, but we only lasted here for one play session. Wound up going south to a little town and taking over.
My third game has started last week in Chicago. In the year 1933.

I have done the part having the characters starting separate. It took them the whole session to get together.
My current group is taking over a small town in Maryland at the moment.
I really like the idea of starting in the past during an age where technology is very far behind what we have now. Especially in Chicago during the days of the mob.
Michael Barakofsky
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Michael Barakofsky »

South Eastern corner of New Mexico, the Lea County area is where my campaign is set. Centered in Hobbs I made 90% of the population zombies because I am lazy and don't want to role up NPC stats more than I have to.
"If ya pardon me plain speaking gentlemen: Are yall STARK RAVING TOTALLY BLINKING DAFT!?!?!" - Captain Silver, Treasure Planet
John 3:16 says it all
Snake Eyes
Hero

Icefalcon wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:

This holds true for any of the larger wild animals (tigers, bears, rhinos and other zoo animals) that are already there are released from the zoos.

Yup, let all the animals loose and run wild, then they won't pose a threat to the survivors.....plenty of zeds to eat.

Though the virus may kill the animals, at least they won't turn undead
The Dragon Has Spoken
Icefalcon
Champion

Some of the animals in the zoo would not last without the keepers, but most of them would if they found a way to escape or be let out. A few of those animals would also breed at rapid rates. It would make for an interesting ecosystem in about a year or two. Even some of the predators, such as tigers, breed at an astonishing rate and would become a danger rather quickly.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

I used Google Earth a lot in my games.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Icefalcon
Champion

I, also, use google maps/earth for my games. It helps to actually know every street and nook and cranny of the area you are running in.

Return to “Dead Reign™”