Stealth and Hiding

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mad Cow Milk
Dungeon Crawler

Stealth and Hiding

Unread post by Mad Cow Milk »

Does anyone have a good source book for how prowl is supposed to be used? Could really use the page number of the book, preferably RUE.

P.S. I am trying to discuss something with a GM running a game. So I am trying to give him an example of the intended use of Prowl.

Thank you,
MCM
Last edited by Mad Cow Milk on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icefalcon
Champion

Re: Stealth and Hiding

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I have never seen prowl handled well in any of the Palladium books.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Mad Cow Milk
Dungeon Crawler

Icefalcon wrote:I have never seen prowl handled well in any of the Palladium books.

Any reference would be great actually, such as examples of using it to hide.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Mad Cow Milk wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:I have never seen prowl handled well in any of the Palladium books.

Most of the fluff bits don't actually lable the skills being used, but here's a page or so before the crunch for the CS SEALs that shows them sneaking up and taking out a guard.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Icefalcon
Champion

I suppose you could change prowl to a D20 roll with each facet equaling 5%. Reverse the percentages so that a 1 on the D20 = 96-100% and the 20 = 01-5%. That way you can directly appose the d20 roll made for perception. It does kind of leave you hanging if the person perceiving you has bonuses that can put them over 20 but that is the best I can think of on short notice.

As for finding the examples of it used in game play in the books, I am not sure the examples exist.
Mad Cow Milk
Dungeon Crawler

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Mad Cow Milk wrote:

Most of the fluff bits don't actually lable the skills being used, but here's a page or so before the crunch for the CS SEALs that shows them sneaking up and taking out a guard.

Any examples of crunch on how prowl is supposed to be used?
Mad Cow Milk
Dungeon Crawler

Updated the top post.

I am tying to prove something to a GM. (not my GM, but a GM)
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

One of the painful gaps in the Palladium system is handling opposing skills. This is actually a failing of many systems.

GURPS and FUDGE both have it built into their basic resolution mechanism. GURPS compares the relative degree of success, which is elegant mathematically, but sometimes akward in application. FUDGE compares absolute degree of success (Great vs Good result, for example) and acknowledges that a Great prowl result can still be undone by a Mediocre perception roll if the guard have thermal vision goggles or something. Very straight forward to understand and assign values by the GM vs trying to come up with a numeric bonus (or penalty) in GURPS.

Both systems are fine, but FUDGE gets more points in my book for its simple elegance.

--flatline
Icefalcon
Champion

Perception Rolls vs Stealth & Concealment Skills: A number of skills, among them Prowl, Detect Ambush, Detect Concealment, Camouflage, and Concealment, have an impact on Perception Rolls. When a Perception roll is attempted against another character (player or NPC) who is using a Stealth or Concealment skill, treat it as a combat type "roll off". Both characters (the person using the skill and the one using the Perception roll) roll 1D20 and the high roll wins.
The character using the skill gets a bonus of +1 for every 10 points in his skill percentage (round down). The character using perception gets to add his usual Perception Roll bonus.

This little nugget comes directly from the R:UE on page 368, and has an example of the use right after.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Prowl is moving silently. so when a player is trying to sneak around, they roll their prowl. if they succeed, the above goes into play. if they fail, it's just a regular perception check for the other guy.

Camofluage and concealment is the skill you use to try and hide when not moving.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mad Cow Milk
Dungeon Crawler

Thank you
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Yeah. If both people have prowl, then it's an opposed test anyway. I just have both people roll their prowl skill and whoever beats it by more gets the nod.
Icefalcon
Champion

Dudes, I posted the rule straight from the book. Why are you still trying to explain how it works?
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Icefalcon wrote:Dudes, I posted the rule straight from the book. Why are you still trying to explain how it works?

You’re just gonna have to get used to it. :ugh:
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

@ Icefalcon, exactly what Natasha said. But remember, 95% of the people on here play a game "similiar" to Rifts, but have so many house rules, that they cannot even comprehend the actual rules system any longer.

Someone once made a post, "Why aren't you a megaversal ambassador?" This is exactly why, because no two gaming groups play Rifts the same way. It would be impossible to run a game if the people at the table have played in other groups. And that is why the system is bad mouthed across the board and no one plays it, the system has too many what if's and no concrete answers. Even when K.S. used to answer questions, if you asked the same question twice, you get 2 different answers and they were usually contradictory. Can't even imagine if you asked the question 3 or 4 times, who knows what you'd end up with.

-Might as well derail this post, since the initial question was answered.
Icefalcon
Champion

My point in posting what I said was because after posting "official rules" (which is what the OP wanted), people ignored his request to keep it to "rule book only" answers. The point they can not even read the intervening posts before they have to throw in their two cents shows they don't care what they post as long as their opinions are heard. Telling me to get used to it is not a mature use of your time either. I suggest you go grow up some more.

Return to “Rifts®”