A Character Idea I just had....

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DracoMagus
Explorer

A Character Idea I just had....

Unread post by DracoMagus »

I was looking through my copies of HU2 and PU2 and started getting ideas about a character that is a Supersoldier and a Hardware: Weapons Expert character. I'm aware of the Dual Class rules scattered throughout certain books and on the net.

I was thinking of two possible ways to have this character come about. One is that they were a Weapons Expert that got a dose of the "Supersoldier Serum", to just throw a generic process out there. The other would be that the character is one of several super-soldier clones (an option for Nature of the subject borrowed from Eugenics), this particular clone was then trained as a Weapons Expert. (I'm thinking my second option has interesting potential for NPC stock)

What I'm wondering is how likely would it be for a character like this to be allowed?
Remember kids, if speed were everything jackrabbits would Rule the World!!!!

All Hail the Death Metal Rooster!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A43JOxLa5MM
Armorlord
Hero

Re: A Character Idea I just had....

Unread post by Armorlord »

DracoMagus wrote:I was looking through my copies of HU2 and PU2 and started getting ideas about a character that is a Supersoldier and a Hardware: Weapons Expert character. I'm aware of the Dual Class rules scattered throughout certain books and on the net.

I was thinking of two possible ways to have this character come about. One is that they were a Weapons Expert that got a dose of the "Supersoldier Serum", to just throw a generic process out there. The other would be that the character is one of several super-soldier clones (an option for Nature of the subject borrowed from Eugenics), this particular clone was then trained as a Weapons Expert. (I'm thinking my second option has interesting potential for NPC stock)

What I'm wondering is how likely would it be for a character like this to be allowed?
Bill it as a Dual Class Mega-Hero (Rifter 37, page 32), this is exactly the sort of situation it is meant to cover, a 'skill' based power category combined with one that grants innate power. Simplified Cliff Notes version: Take the skills from one, the powers from the other, and add the experience table together.

As far as whether anything is allowed, that's for your GM to call. As far as Mega-Heroes go, it isn't overwhelming power-wise, though Supersoldier on its own can be fairly potent, but it is up to your GM to decide what is appropriate in his or her game.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
DracoMagus
Explorer

Armorlord wrote:
DracoMagus wrote:I was looking through my copies of HU2 and PU2 and started getting ideas about a character that is a Supersoldier and a Hardware: Weapons Expert character. I'm aware of the Dual Class rules scattered throughout certain books and on the net.

Bill it as a Dual Class Mega-Hero (Rifter 37, page 32), this is exactly the sort of situation it is meant to cover, a 'skill' based power category combined with one that grants innate power. Simplified Cliff Notes version: Take the skills from one, the powers from the other, and add the experience table together.

As far as whether anything is allowed, that's for your GM to call. As far as Mega-Heroes go, it isn't overwhelming power-wise, though Supersoldier on its own can be fairly potent, but it is up to your GM to decide what is appropriate in his or her game.

OK thank you. I wonder if that'd work in situations involving an HU Power Category and a Rifts OCC... hrmmm, guess that'd be up to GM discretion ultimately.

Armorlord
Hero

DracoMagus wrote:OK thank you. I wonder if that'd work in situations involving an HU Power Category and a Rifts OCC... hrmmm, guess that'd be up to GM discretion ultimately.
You're welcome!
As for Powers and Rifts with that, it would be something I'd allow, with normal restrictions. Would work out more sensibly than the conversion book's suggestions (which mainly gives us super powered vagabonds :roll: ).
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)

DracoMagus
Explorer

Armorlord wrote:
DracoMagus wrote:OK thank you. I wonder if that'd work in situations involving an HU Power Category and a Rifts OCC... hrmmm, guess that'd be up to GM discretion ultimately.
You're welcome!
As for Powers and Rifts with that, it would be something I'd allow, with normal restrictions. Would work out more sensibly than the conversion book's suggestions (which mainly gives us super powered vagabonds :roll: ).

Honestly, the text for that in Rifter #37 is kinda vague. Not so much that you can't use it, but enough to leave one confused.

DracoMagus
Explorer

This one isn't for Heroes unlimited but still has potential, but how about an Elf Crazy?

Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

For what it's worth, consider the rules in NINJAS & SUPERSPIES for letting some of the HU folks spend a bunch of skills picking up an N&SS martial art (or even, say, let an Experiment pick up some of the Wired Agent's skills, including the weapon-building gizmoteer skill program). Taking the One Shot technique -- possibly via the Moo Gi Gong art that grants a bonus with a bunch of weapons, and proficiency with a bunch of paired weapons, and the ability to use anything that's at hand as improvised weapons -- could go a long way to making a superpowered character into a superpowered weapons expert.
csyphrett
Adventurer

Unread post by csyphrett »

DracoMagus wrote:This one isn't for Heroes unlimited but still has potential, but how about an Elf Crazy?

The same as the supersoldier hardware guy. You roll up a crazy and put in the Elf natural abilities, or you roll up an elf and add in the psychic abilities from MOM conversion, barring things like the mom conversion kills certain races on impact. I think elves are close enough for it to work, but I am not sure now
CES
Armorlord
Hero

csyphrett wrote:
DracoMagus wrote:This one isn't for Heroes unlimited but still has potential, but how about an Elf Crazy?

The same as the supersoldier hardware guy. You roll up a crazy and put in the Elf natural abilities, or you roll up an elf and add in the psychic abilities from MOM conversion, barring things like the mom conversion kills certain races on impact. I think elves are close enough for it to work, but I am not sure now
CES
Well, elves are kind of close enough for Juicer conversion, but it wreaks them in extra ways. Brain structure if even trickier. Elves are as psionicly capable as humans though. I would say that it is conceivable, but it would take a lot of work to develop, and not many elves would volunteer for that research, but doable with extra problems, and likely only known to Splugorth researchers experimenting on slave stock.

DracoMagus
Explorer

Armorlord wrote:
csyphrett wrote:

CES
Well, elves are kind of close enough for Juicer conversion, but it wreaks them in extra ways. Brain structure if even trickier. Elves are as psionicly capable as humans though. I would say that it is conceivable, but it would take a lot of work to develop, and not many elves would volunteer for that research, but doable with extra problems, and likely only known to Splugorth researchers experimenting on slave stock.

The concept I had in mind was that the elf was trained in the skills as part their home kingdoms military, then the kingdom did the MOM Conversion against their will. The concept is somewhat shaky, though I'm also just pulling it off the top of my head as I'm posting it.

csyphrett
Adventurer

Unread post by csyphrett »

Most militaries that Elves belong to don't do Mom conversions as far as I remember. Mom conversions are usually done by the enemy so they have a soldier that they then use as cannon fodder. As a basic idea, it's workable barring anything where the cybernetics just kills the subject.

So GMs won't allow this because Elves are already psychic and/or magical so they don't need implants to mimic their natural abilities.
CES
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

It's a big megaverse. I like to combine lots of things. Especially powers and certain classes. I GM a lot so a lot of what I do is just make sure it is balanced for the game. I put caps on bonuses for my NPC'S based on power levels and the skill of the player, as well as counting up slots on the number of abilities. I just try to keep away from builds that allow you to float like a butterfly and sting like a freight train, while solving the life equation and building a time machine that psychically controls dinosaurs.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”