Full Conversion Cyborgs, Endurance, and Sleep

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mad Cow Milk
Dungeon Crawler

Full Conversion Cyborgs, Endurance, and Sleep

Unread post by Mad Cow Milk »

I was wondering if there was any printed rules, errata's, or rifters that covered full borg Endurance and Sleep.

I imagine you do need one for things such as magic saving throws.

Thank you.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Re: Full Conversion Cyborgs, Endurance, and Sleep

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Yep brains needs sleep not the body.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I would say use the character's ME instead of PE when it comes to sleep, but then again I also have my players keep track of what their PE was prior to getting the full combat conversion for the little things that may come up and stuff.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Given human beings go stark raving insane without sleep unless the cyborg comes from some alien that doesn't need sleep or a super who doesn't need sleep all cyborgs require sleep. They may not require an 8hr sleep period and get by on a 2-4hr downtime but the brain definitely requires a few sleep cycles in order to remain sane and rational. Someone who insists that their borg never sleeps because they simply refuse to accept that needs insanities right and left stacked onto him because that's just the nature of human brains.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Unless otherwise stated, they require 8 hours of sleep, same as anybody else.

And they dream of electric sheep.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

I did find it odd that cyborgs had no given Physical endurance, even for basic saves. I know with my own OCC I built recently I actually assigned it a PE score for terms of saves and other things that might come up, even though it isn't technically alive.

When I think of physical endurance, it isn't how tough the person is, but rather how far they can run in one go, how resistant they are to getting sick, etc.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Nightmask
Palladin

Colt47 wrote:I did find it odd that cyborgs had no given Physical endurance, even for basic saves. I know with my own OCC I built recently I actually assigned it a PE score for terms of saves and other things that might come up, even though it isn't technically alive.

When I think of physical endurance, it isn't how tough the person is, but rather how far they can run in one go, how resistant they are to getting sick, etc.

The think is though a cyborg is little more than a human brain piloting a robot, there isn't anything left to constitute a physical endurance for them. Everything about them is an electro-mechanical system short of that lump of brain tissue and it can't really have much of a physical endurance when that's all that's left of it.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

Nightmask wrote:
Colt47 wrote:I did find it odd that cyborgs had no given Physical endurance, even for basic saves. I know with my own OCC I built recently I actually assigned it a PE score for terms of saves and other things that might come up, even though it isn't technically alive.

The think is though a cyborg is little more than a human brain piloting a robot, there isn't anything left to constitute a physical endurance for them. Everything about them is an electro-mechanical system short of that lump of brain tissue and it can't really have much of a physical endurance when that's all that's left of it.

My thought was that they basically replace the skeletal and muscular structure with a bionic equivalent and keep useful organs in place. This way the borg would still be able to experience normal things like eating food and drinking booze. I'd imagine the bionic systems would include waste disposal units that take care of the waste normally generated by the body. :)

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I do recall reading somewhere that almost all of the vital organs (stomache, lungs, intestines, spine, heart, brain) are kept/replaced with bio equivilants.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Nightmask
Palladin

OneTrikPony wrote:The official line in SB5 and RUE IIRC is that the torso and skull are shells and that the internal organs are mostly retained. Typically FC borgs can even choose to keep their original face.

That's also the way I play it. I believe that the brain needs a host of ancillary organs to survive; primarily blood, and if you have blood you need bonemarrow, liver, kidneys, some type of heart, and some type of lungs and at least a partial digestive system. You'd also need a lymphatic system, and endocrine system. Otherwize you'd need artificial analogues of all those organs just to keep the brain alive and provide the soup of hormones that create human thought.

In my view it's simpler just to maintain most of the original organs. (albeit; they'd probably be extremely atrophied.)

That doesn't sound like anything close to being a full conversion (and your list is long enough you effectively are maintaining most of the original organs). That's way too much remaining organics to even be close to being anything other than a partial conversion. The brain just needs a compatible delivery system of oxygen and other nutrition it doesn't require blood cells (reminds me of an old sci-fi story of a guy made into a full conversion cyborg after an accident and goes into a hates all humans deal until he finds out his blood is deteriorating and takes his ex's blood to replace it only to have his planetary defenses destroy it because it's programmed to destroy anything organic; talk about a sci-fi writer totally clueless even for the time period about blood). Certainly no need for all the rest of that you've listed.

Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Hey folks, I just flew in from the Bionics Sourcebook, and boy are my bionic arms not tired at all. :p

Partial Conversion borgs try to retain what healthy organs they can, but 70% of the time the major ones are replaced.

Total Conversion borgs retain "Only the brain, the face, and a few other human components, especially the tongue. throat, and head are all that remains of the original flesh and blood body." Some drop the face as well. "The new, bionic body is effectively a fully functional robot that responds to a human brain".

Can't find any commentary on sleep, but I've allowed for fully conversion to push the limits on sleep more easily than a full human, but under normal circumstances they still require rest to stay sane and sharp. I peg it around 6 hours on average. Though I might be biased as that's more my average.

I also allow for nutrient filtration systems that can be set to allow certain substances to be allowed through the filters in controlled amounts, generally requiring presets programmed in by a medical professional. Thus some models could opt for some caffeine, or booze, and have it have some effect. The Warlords of Russia being the only power that includes both options as standard equipment.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

Armorlord wrote:Hey folks, I just flew in from the Bionics Sourcebook, and boy are my bionic arms not tired at all. :p

Partial Conversion borgs try to retain what healthy organs they can, but 70% of the time the major ones are replaced.

Total Conversion borgs retain "Only the brain, the face, and a few other human components, especially the tongue. throat, and head are all that remains of the original flesh and blood body." Some drop the face as well. "The new, bionic body is effectively a fully functional robot that responds to a human brain".

Can't find any commentary on sleep, but I've allowed for fully conversion to push the limits on sleep more easily than a full human, but under normal circumstances they still require rest to stay sane and sharp. I peg it around 6 hours on average. Though I might be biased as that's more my average.

I also allow for nutrient filtration systems that can be set to allow certain substances to be allowed through the filters in controlled amounts, generally requiring presets programmed in by a medical professional. Thus some models could opt for some caffeine, or booze, and have it have some effect. The Warlords of Russia being the only power that includes both options as standard equipment.

So most of the organs supporting the brain are replaced by bionic systems that take over the necessary roles. I still think something should be done with the PE score, as leaving it blank kind of makes it ambiguous. :-? I mean, there's still something alive in there even if it is only a brain hooked up to life support.

Maybe PE score should represent the level that the life support is working at? PE of 10 would be a good human analog. :)

FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

I think you folks should just sit down and watch the First Robocop movie. I think that represents a FC borg and it's systems Fairly well.

The Human Brain(and most non-supernatural brains) does still need to take in nutriants, oxygen, etc... on a regular basis in order to survive and to continue to function properly. That is a Biological FACT. The brain also still needs a blood supply circulation system of some type too.

I also agree that the Brain needs at the very least 3-4 hours of sleep every 24 hours in order to function properly. You know how you get when you are tired. Oftentimes you cannot even think properly untill you get some rest or sleep.

Thus ends the post.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

one nice thing though is you can sleep standing up with your weapon ready or looking like your doing something.......set your arms to turn a book page every 4 or 5 minutes and go to sleep.
3 cyborgs on guard on the wall, well maybe only ones actualy awake and the other 2 are alseep but their bodies look like cyborgs standing motionless over the target. something happens and he radios them to wake up and shoot randomly at least to look like they were not sleeping if anyone footing the bill was watching.

That said the longest ive ever stayed up with nothing stronger than coffee and soda was nearing 70ish hours.....probaly could of went anouther 5 or 10 but I was deffintly not paying close mind to anything and was being very weird im told. I do rember seeing tracers and shadows moving on me and being kinda parinoid. When I did drugs alot id say 90+ hours was my longest run and its hard to say if it was lack of sleep or drugs that made me weird and I deffintly saw things that were not there. ( Dont do meth its horrible....yeah it had no redeeming value looking back) but your mind needs to rest and id say at least 4 hours of sleep for a cyborg a day is healthy.

Return to “Rifts®”