House Cthulhu

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Quantum07
Explorer

House Cthulhu

Unread post by Quantum07 »

I have been toying with this idea for some time now, and wanted to through it up. Like all Palladium games, you can incorporate ANYTHING. I have a mild obsession with H. P. Lovecraft, which is why I love Splicers :-D
My friend showed me an Endbringer that gets its powers from Cthulhu himself. Now what would happen if a very charismatic Endbringer came to the Splicer's world. Magic is unheard of, so even at half power, his spells could be devestating if used in the right context. Now say he got himself a minor House. The birth of House Cthulhu.
Of course said House has many Biotics and Dreadguard with tentacles. But instead of using your own name, the highest ranking are given a new name, like 007 is James Bond. I have already created the Host Armors for the King in Yellow and Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos. Working on Shoggoth using the Plasmolder.
So what do you think?
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Re: House Cthulhu

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

While the idea is fun, on many level, I find it unpractical as there is this little flaw of lack of magic and psionic in Splicer dimension. Plus Cthulu mythos already exist in Megaverse, they are called slumbering Old ones(so powefull that no stat is given)not forgtting the lord of the deep and the DARK. But a great house styled after Lvecraft mythos...why not.
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

Of course, who's to say some bit of literature didn't survive the Robot apocalypse? Recovered by survivors, the stories serve as inspiration for Armors and Mounts.

Now, since I tend to like my PCs a little wacky, I would make the House actually worship the Cthulhu gods (whether they make an appearance or not is up to you.) After all, its been a few generations since all heck broke loose. Get a charismatic (and unbalanced) leader, and you got the makings of a perfect cult.

If you want the Old Ones to make an appearance, perhaps the work of an unbalanced Librarian?
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
Quantum07
Explorer

I like the idea of literature recovered and used to inspire the entire House. I was just using the Endbringer for fun. But there is no natural magic on splicers, so magic may be half as affective, but twice as surprising because no one expects the normal human to shoot fire, or anything else with magic.

But I think I will use the literature idea instead. Never intended to use the real Old Ones. The people just use the names.
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Quantum07 wrote:I like the idea of literature recovered and used to inspire the entire House. I was just using the Endbringer for fun. But there is no natural magic on splicers, so magic may be half as affective, but twice as surprising because no one expects the normal human to shoot fire, or anything else with magic.

But I think I will use the literature idea instead. Never intended to use the real Old Ones. The people just use the names.

Of course you should remeber that there is more than one road to reach the peak of the mountain.
If magic in the standard megaverse sense is not possible, does not means that is not possible something that simulate some of its effects. :-D
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Warriors of the Megaverse Unite !

Unread post by Princedarkstorm »

I like the idea .Besides I watched a group of players named their house from the XMEN Movies .
I hope you do some write ups for the house !
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Also remember all magic is SDC as well as being at Half power. Costing twice the amount of ppe to activate.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Quantum07
Explorer

I was thinking about the House, and decided the leader would be Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos. So regular tentacles with mouths, and leg tentacles. One of the unique things is, from a distance the tencles drape around him, making it look like a cloak.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Try to think up a better name than hous ecthulu. Kool idea tho.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

House Miskatonic
House Wyrm
Clan Whatley
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Those work, but I was hoping he would come up with something on his own. He is cripplingly intelligent and really imaginative. He just needs to actually do it.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
taalismn
Priest

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:Those work, but I was hoping he would come up with something on his own. He is cripplingly intelligent and really imaginative. He just needs to actually do it.

Then do it he shall....The Old Ones will NOT be denied...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

taalismn wrote:
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:Those work, but I was hoping he would come up with something on his own. He is cripplingly intelligent and really imaginative. He just needs to actually do it.

Hear that Bennett? GET TO WORK!!!

...... Oh Crap. That reminds me, I have my own splicers amterial to finish.

taalismn
Priest

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Hear that Bennett? GET TO WORK!!!

...... Oh Crap. That reminds me, I have my own splicers amterial to finish.

Oops...they got him....

Folks...if you hear sounds in your basement after midnight, and feel earth tremors in areas not known for such...don't go downstairs to check them out....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Quantum07
Explorer

House Lovecraft is actually a collection of smaller houses and clans, draw together by their bases in the few books they could get their hands on by Lovecraft. The problem with this is twofold.
First, they ALL beleive the text to be reality. This leads to fanatics that are trying to bring the Great Old Ones to thier dimensions. They are aware that magic and other dimensions exist, but not any real extent. Maybe Cthulhu can be brought to this world if he has a host body?
Second, this leads to in fighting between the major groups. These include Clans Cthulhu, Nyarlathotep, Whateley, and the King in Yellow. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses that I will go over later. When I think of them.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

How bout the House of Ill Repute?

taalismn
Priest

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:How bout the House of Ill Repute?

hmmmm....that's one way of bringing in the suckers to be sacrificed to the Dark Gods....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

My Tentacle themed Enhancements bring all the Splicers to the Yard! Damn right, they're better that yours!

taalismn
Priest

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:My Tentacle themed Enhancements bring all the Splicers to the Yard! Damn right, they're better that yours!

*EEKKK!!! TENTACLE MONSTER!!!!*
"Relax, kid, that's just Bob, our Biotic..."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Quantum07
Explorer

This is an idea that I pulled out of my rear. Ziggurat was there to watch. And he helped get it out. But this is the House that my Splicer is from, so I will be using it as such. So this is my first "Warmount." Think creepy. That is the basis for my house. Later material on its way.

The Children
Class: Ambush and Divide Independent Operators
Crew: None
SDC: 2D6X100
Speed: Running: 3 MPH, never tires
Leaping: 4 in high, 6 in across
Swimming: 2 MPH
Flying: For 1 hour after birth, 20 MPH
Statistical Data: Height: 3 ft
Length: 4 in
Weight: 50 lbs
Cargo: None
PS: 1D6+9 normal
Bio-Regeneration: 1D6X100 SDC per day
Operational Lifetime: 5 years
Trade Value: None, never traded
Senses & Features: Normal color vision
Feeding: Needs to feed every month, eats a single person per meal, and afterwards a sack extends out of the back of the child’s clothing (actually textured skin) and releasing 3 smaller children with “balloons”, who float off into the sky.
Sleep Requirement: None, decrease IQ by one per year
Rider: None
Outer Data: Alignment: Effectively Diabolic
Attributes: IQ 2D6 ME 2D6 MA 4D6 PS 1D6+9 PP 1D6 PE 3D6 PB 2D6+6 SPD See above
Attacks: 3
Combat: +6 initiative, +3 strike
Equivalent Skills: Begging 80%, Prowl 65%
Damage: Bite 1 MD
Bio-Weapons: Tendril Injectors built into tongue: Payload: 10 per day, 1D8X10 MD, automatically deployed when the child bites while grappling. This is how the child eats, by liquefying the insides of their prey. When this is used, the child produces a sound like that of a railgun.
Artillery Explosion: Simulates the child being hit by a mini-missile, but it is an internal affair in the child. 1D6 MD to a 10 ft cone behind, 5D6 MD to a 30 ft cone, due to the bone shrapnel, and the explosion is the 3 children growing inside, killing all 4.
Pheromones: 50 ft area, one of two effects, both can be avoided with a save vs non-lethal poison. One makes the person feel like he must protect the child no matter what. The second increases any Horror Factor by +4.

They look like small, adorable children, lost in the forest. They cry, making you want to protect them from…What? But you move closer, and pick up the crying child. Then she tells you her brother is lost too. When you find him, something horrible happens. A missile, or a shell must have hit him, because he explodes before you. You cover the little girl from the explosion, and the bones from her brother bite into your host armor. You hear the sound of railgun fire, and feel it rip into your stomach, missing the child by inches. As the blood leaks out of your body, you move the girl so she can’t be attacked. As you take another round that nearly missed the girl, you start to black out. But just before you do, you notice the tendrils retreating back into the child’s mouth, as she begins to feast on your corpse.
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

I'm confused..? Why is this a "warmount?"
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

It isn't, and I cannot determine why he insists on calling them such, infact, i didnt even read it to see if it was the same thing we hashed out. It was supremely awesome and creepy, the version we made.

Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

Ok. It was kinda creepy. They're so weak on their own though. Actually they kinda remind me of the impersonator zombies in the latest rifter, except these kids can't even really kill their prey on their own unless it is completely defenseless also (no armor weapons, etc).
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Crazy Lou wrote:Ok. It was kinda creepy. They're so weak on their own though. Actually they kinda remind me of the impersonator zombies in the latest rifter, except these kids can't even really kill their prey on their own unless it is completely defenseless also (no armor weapons, etc).

They swarm you, and he toned it down, the original version could kill you before you caught on, but they were ambush predators, they didnt tank you, and they cant stand up to a real fight. i think it should be quite a bit more powerful, but that ow it is, he has a cool scarecrow varient, but he hasnt put it up yet, be cause he sucks.

Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Very nasty. Very much like Lovecraftian material.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Quantum07
Explorer

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:It isn't, and I cannot determine why he insists on calling them such, infact, i didnt even read it to see if it was the same thing we hashed out. It was supremely awesome and creepy, the version we made.

I called it a warmount, because it is like a Gore Hound. You don't ride them, but they have someone who directs them. I might revisit them, redo stats, and come up with an OCC that controls them. I actually forgot about this until recently. And recently, been calling it House Mythos, as a better working title.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Any further development?
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

I like house chthchoochoo

Quantum07
Explorer

I am thinking about a couple of enhancements, going to work on my retribution gland again, and probably a House specific biotic that uses this gland. Will have the write-up soon after finals.

Return to “Splicers®”