Sorcerous Proficiencies

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

Giving your mage past memories of beinvg a martial artist seem to be taking advantage of things to me. Also, adding "Nerve Damage, Seizures, Lame/Crippled, Blind, Mute, and Deaf" seem far too extreme, especially for PC's. The Proficiencies are a cool option to give and take a bit, to add flavor and a touch of otherworldliness to a sorceror. Granting martial arts and striking characters blind are way outside the scope and intent, in my opinion.

My favorite for a nightbane sorreror type was always flawed sight related to mirrors. I also liked artistic, and also the ones that give you a feeling for something (like magic, laylines, etc.)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

inhereted memories I don't think will teach martial arts. after all just knowing hte material or watching someone won't help, you STILL need hours and hours of daily practice for years, before your body is physically able to handle those moves.

i'm not to sure if that was intended. Could always ask the author of hte article if that was intended.

as to the severe physical disabilites for your mage character?

Why the hell not?

I mean, you don't even need the excuse of sorcerrus limitations to play a crippled character, nothing wrong with saying "this is why"
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

DavidGallaher1 wrote:I agree that it does take training - typically - but if one were to take a more Matrix like apporach to the whole thing (the whole "I know Kung Fu" bit) ... I could see if maybe working. I'm not sold on the idea, I'm just sort of thinking out loud.

as morphiss said, the only reason that worked is the virtual bodies needed no physical training.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Their is a quality that can be purchased in Eden's Unisystem games called Old Soul. IIRC, it's possible to sometimes dredge up an old memory of a past life if you're in the correct situation, but only a certain number of times per day[how many ranks you have of Old Soul, I believe].

The most I'd allow with your Granted Memories proficiency would be something similar to that. Maybe being able to call up a skill or ability once per day per 4 levels of experience or so, and even then there would only be a small pool of skills/abilities chosen by your GM[too bad if he/she decides your were a very accomplished prostitute in a past life].

For example, George may not know kung fu, but the GM could allow him to have a flash of memory/insight from a previous incarnation just in time to automatically dodge an incoming sword blow that would have decapitated him. However, since George's body isn't trained for such movement, their should be penalties, such as pulled muscles or maybe whiplash.
gaby
Knight

Re: Sorcerous Proficiencies

Unread post by gaby »

This is great,How do you think this can wokr in BtS?

Magic user are in a lower Ley line level,so I think it,s normal for them to have times where ther magic is at it,s strongist and limiteds.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

DavidGallaher1 wrote:Sorcerous Proficiencies: Granted Memories

I like this Proficiency (from Rifter #27, page 58), but was considering having it impart Martial Art / Physical Skills. Has anybody else done this? Thoughts? Comments?

Physical skills have very much to do with muscle memory, so IMO unless the char imparted with a physical skill (knowledge) did not practice said skill, the char would not be able to use the skill the char only has 'knowledge of.'
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Do you think it Would be OK to put Sorcerous proficiencies and limitations in Palladium Fantasy,s Games?
Some proficiencies will only be access after the Magic user gets to specific level and some limitations will be a cost of power or the Magic user start with it,but overcome it after geting to a level.

I like limit,the Magic user needs to use it in Subtle and Smart ways instead of trowing fireballs ever where.

You can make a Adventure out of them,Magic user find a map that will only lead him to a Treasure but to magic books with info on how to get a Proficientice.

Well Some Procficientice and limiteds need to fit specific magic Occ,like Water Warlock is that it mose powerful on or close to Lager bodies of Water,Fire one come at Sun Rise or Midday and so on.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Just my 2 cents worth on the memories granting martial arts thing
1) Its worth mentioning that all Nightbane get equivlant to Martial Arts (they dont HAVE martial arts, just equivilant)
2) there are plenty of people who have a better 'knack' or what have you for something
3) thus, granted memories could grant you the MEMORIES of an uber martial artist (I recall Bruce Lees skills). BUT you cant USE them all with out more training. eg you get H2H MA lv1, which is all that your untrained body can do with the memories. But as you level up your able to utilize more, and your skills go up.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

eliakon wrote:Just my 2 cents worth on the memories granting martial arts thing
1) Its worth mentioning that all Nightbane get equivlant to Martial Arts (they dont HAVE martial arts, just equivilant)
...snip

1) While in their morphus. The proficiencies are for all mages, not just NB mages.
-----------------
gaby wrote:Do you think it Would be OK to put Sorcerous proficiencies and limitations in Palladium Fantasy,s Games?

Yes, if your GM allows it into his game.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

gaby wrote:Do you think it Would be OK to put Sorcerous proficiencies and limitations in Palladium Fantasy,s Games?

I don't see any real problems. A quick reading shows my only caveat would be a player trying to double up on both the Ritual Proficiency and Ritual Limitation. Since they explicitly stack, that's rituals for 1/16 the original PPE price.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
eliakon wrote:Just my 2 cents worth on the memories granting martial arts thing
...snip

1) While in their morphus. The proficiencies are for all mages, not just NB mages.

you missed my point, it was not that you get martial arts, its that based on ALL THREE POINTS, that there is precident for 'equivilant skills', for 'intuitive physical skills' and the like.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I was only commenting on your 1st point. Which was that NB have the MA h2h equivalent only while in their morphus. Which is something you left out of your statement.

While you did put up points of interest... there is no context to those points to show what you meant by posting them.

So if the got read incorrectly because of the lack of context, it was 2 cents waisted.
-----------------------

2) It is called Talent. not intuitive skills. You don't know if you have a talent in something till you have been trained in that skill and gained some experience. (RW answer)
Game Answer: if the char makes a good roll on the talent table in R:LS then they are talented.

3) you were repeating what I said in a earlier post so there was no need for me to comment on it.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What is the number of Sorcerous proficienicies and limited in NB:ttgd and Rifter 27?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

gaby wrote:What is the number of Sorcerous proficiencies and limited in NB:ttgd and Rifter 27?

There are about 40 of them each way proficiencies & limitations. Both being split about 10-30 between TtGD and R27.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Aside from skills, the Cybermancer (a canonical official OCC from the Rifter) is essentially a Nightbane Sorcerer, but would they be limited to 2 proficiencies like the others instead of the 4 a sorcerer can start with?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:Aside from skills, the Cybermancer (a canonical official OCC from the Rifter) is essentially a Nightbane Sorcerer, but would they be limited to 2 proficiencies like the others instead of the 4 a sorcerer can start with?

I would allow them to purchase up to four sure. They are pretty much a Sorcerer with a slightly different skill set.

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I would only allow a Proficiencies if they reach level 4,8 and 12.
But they start with a number of limiteds,after passing a test they are free of that limit and get a proficiencie.
Trent
Explorer

Unread post by Trent »

On Martial Arts / Granted Memories I would say only certain soft styles that focus on defence and / or internal based and even then limit the max level as was done with the chi mystic in mystic china . Past knowledge would not be as detailed as that gained in present life and the character already displays certain tendencies towards the mystic and mental pursuits over physical . (plus it keeps the game in balance) Just a thought
Please Help a Family in Need : http://www.gofundme.com/y27ff9w ,
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Trent wrote:On Martial Arts / Granted Memories I would say only certain soft styles that focus on defence and / or internal based and even then limit the max level as was done with the chi mystic in mystic china . Past knowledge would not be as detailed as that gained in present life and the character already displays certain tendencies towards the mystic and mental pursuits over physical . (plus it keeps the game in balance) Just a thought

Blind Mystic PCC
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

eliakon wrote:
Tor wrote:Aside from skills, the Cybermancer (a canonical official OCC from the Rifter) is essentially a Nightbane Sorcerer, but would they be limited to 2 proficiencies like the others instead of the 4 a sorcerer can start with?

I would allow them to purchase up to four sure. They are pretty much a Sorcerer with a slightly different skill set.

I hope this doesn't prevent me from multi-classing between both OCCs to get +8 vs magic/possession :)
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Nightbane®”