Quite Solid Weapons?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mad Cow Milk
Dungeon Crawler

Quite Solid Weapons?

Unread post by Mad Cow Milk »

I was wondering if there were any fire arms, such as rifles and pistols, that were inherently silenced. I'll be looking, but I am running out of time as the game is this Saturday.

Thanks,
MCM
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Quite Solid Weapons?

Unread post by Mack »

Mad Cow Milk wrote:I was wondering if there were any fire arms, such as rifles and pistols, that were inherently silenced. I'll be looking, but I am running out of time as the game is this Saturday.

Thanks,
MCM

All laser weapons are silent by default. (Rifts Game Master Guide, p111)
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Mad Cow Milk
Dungeon Crawler

Mack wrote:
Mad Cow Milk wrote:I was wondering if there were any fire arms, such as rifles and pistols, that were inherently silenced. I'll be looking, but I am running out of time as the game is this Saturday.

Thanks,
MCM

All laser weapons are silent by default. (Rifts Game Master Guide, p111)

Well take into consideration the tittle of the thread. I am looking for non-lazer/energy weapons here.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Slingshot. :)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Mad Cow Milk
Dungeon Crawler

Thanks guys.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

It won't work for rail guns but you can silence a slug thrower with a TW silencer.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Bow and arrow with high tech arrow heads. Course.. the heads often go boom.. but it depends on wht you mean by 'silenced'. in "Shooting" or in 'Landing"

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Bow and arrow with high tech arrow heads. Course.. the heads often go boom.. but it depends on wht you mean by 'silenced'. in "Shooting" or in 'Landing"

Could always make TW Silent Explosive Arrows!
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

As far as canon and MD capable?

There really isn't much for MD weapons with hard ammo aside from railguns, some rifles in Dinosaur Swamp, and a few guns in Mercenaries that fire MD bursts. These could concievably be fitted with a silencer by a skilled weapons engineer.

Otherwise, I know that there is a pistol in the Compendium of Modern Weapons ( a 9mm of Chinese manufacture IIRC) that has an inbuilt silencer. It's for SDC settings, but that's all that comes to mind right now.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

TW force weapons are silent.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Thanks,
MCM

Firearms can not be totally silenced like in the movies, they can only have their sound suppressed down to the point that you don't need ear protection.

Lasers are silent till you reach a power level that they ionize the air. They then make micro-thunder claps.

But enough talk about the real world.

You could have a specialized enchanted firearm that would silence the report of firing.
But to null the bullet's sonic boom you would need bullets enchanted to silence shockwave they make.

Unless the small arm was a railgun or Gauss gun of some sort you are always going to get a report from firing projectiles. Even then, you still have the shockwave of the bullet to silence. And then you are talking magic again.

*waves hand to acknowledge the bow and arrow as an option, even if I don't want to cover them*

Then there is a Willy Gun. (Detailed in the STEN novels.) It is a gun that uses a laser to push a small bit of anti-matter wrapped in neutral matter. The containment is breached when the round hits something solid, giving off an explosion about the size of a grenade. Except for the explosion at the end it is silent.

P.S. I just remembered the Megaversial Legion (or whatever it is called) in SA2, that has weapons that as basically pusher beams that shoot out projectiles. (Pusher beams are the inversion of tractor beam idea.) They would be fairly quiet till they get to Boom Gun speeds.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Firearms can not be totally silenced like in the movies, they can only have their sound suppressed down to the point that you don't need ear protection.

yeah. when i write sound surpressed weapons i give them a perception target #. this lets me tailor how well they work. the quieter they are, the higher the # you have to beat.

since you use perception to sense things your not directly viewing, this works pretty good.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Conventional suppressors are on page 123 of Merc Ops.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Mad Cow Milk
Dungeon Crawler

Mack wrote:Conventional suppressors are on page 123 of Merc Ops.

Thanks

Return to “Rifts®”