New PACKMASTER & GOREHOUNDS Artwork with usable stats

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

New PACKMASTER & GOREHOUNDS Artwork with usable stats

Unread post by Premier »

Hello Splicers FAM! I First would like to say Merry Christmas & Happy New Years to ya all!!

You all have been very, very, very patient with Me and I am continuing to bang out a ton of art, and Slappy is cranking on the Writing for the Splicers book and I see light at the end of the tunnel. I recently completed some additional commission work for Galactus Kid for the Great House of Warsaw. GK agreed that it was OK for me to share it with everyone, so here it is:

http://madjaguar.deviantart.com/art/Pac ... -148658117

Packmaster Boris Kiev Statistical Data:

Height: 6’8” Feet, 7’ 1” in Body Armor
Width: 4 feet (1.2m), 20 foot wingspan tip to tip (6.1m)
Weight: 268 lbs, 320 lbs fully armored and loaded

Packmaster Features:

A.) (5) Advanced Eye Vipers have been added as enhancements to Boris’s Packmaster helmet. The cobra like appendages with a optical retina inside the mouths, act as advance optics that twist, slither, bend independently of the others to look in any direction; 360 degrees, up, down, etc. They can look around corners, into small pipes/tunnels, through holes & openings that are often to difficult or help avoid exposing the entire Packmaster to possible danger or the Eye vipers can also move and lean up, tight against the neck & helmet to avoid getting targeted or lopped off during combat. Each eye has the vision similar to that of an eagle, enabling the Packmaster to recognize a face or read a sign up to a mile away (1.6km). They are also equipped with passive nightvision with a range of 2000 ft with ambient light sources for assistance. Each also has polarized lens filters to reduce glare and allows visibility during blinding light scenarios. The Eye Vipers move like cobras and are very fast and extremely difficult to hit.

B.) Heavy Spiked Hammer Maul is a large 10 lb bio-organic war hammer armed with spike studs on both heads. On impact with a target, a number of these small spikes are fired off into the opponent, at point blank range. Boris’s Maul has been upgraded so the spikes deal cumulative damage by screwing & digging themselves even deeper into the opponent.

C.) Retractable serrated Whip located in the right forearm

D.) Light Cell Laser Pistol

E.) Electromagnetic vision is built into Boris’s Helmet

F.) Motion Detection

The BORIS KIEV PACK
(Warsaw Relic Breed Style pack)

FANTASIA

Breed derivative: Canid Lupus, Gray Wolf
Description: Fantasia is a Vicious Destructive Hulking Beast of a Dog who fights like a tornado and thoroughly enjoys the sounds machines make when as she rips them to pieces. Only Boris’s will, strict training, and discipline bridle her tenacious ferocity. She often asserts her authority over the rest of the pack, seeing it as her responsibility and right as alpha female. Fantasia has been known to attack other members of the pack in the middle of heavy combat against the Machine simply to show & reinsert her dominance. Despite this aggressive behavior, she loves to show off how pretty she is, playing & frolicking in the dirt, mock combat & wrestle with Boris and the pack, going hunting, face licking, scaling walls & sprinting across ceilings, and of course destroying Machines.

Pack rank: Alpha female
Alignment: Aberrant
Height: 4’6” at the shoulder, 6’2” at the top of the head
Weight: 530 lbs.
Width: 3’5” feet shoulder to shoulder
Length: 8 feet (2.4m) from tip of the nose to the rump, plus a 4-foot (1.2m) Hammer tail
Speed: 138 mph

Features:
Enhancements: Motion Detection, Suction Cups and Gripping Hairs on all Four Paws for climbing and scaling walls & ceilings, Reinforced Exoskeleton, Armored Forelegs, Large Claws for Her right Paw, Quill Defense-made of natural ceramic-like compound able to pierce even the toughest metal alloys, Combat Tail-Hammer, Elongated Running Legs, Increased Durability and armor.
Skills of Note: Trust/Intimidate, Charm/Impress

RILEY

Breed derivative: Greyhound
Description: Riley is the “Sniper” of the pack and tends to stay off the front lines. He often will often spend all of combat running across walls or cliff faces to avoid enemy fire and to get the best vantage point for his Cannon. Riley enjoys following his Packmaster into battle but has no problems with blood lust or hate toward his enemies and prefers to rain killing blows down from some canceled position. Riley is continually trying to increase his rank in the pack, not for the authority but for the connection with his master Boris. He enjoys all aspects of life and lives it to the fullest.

Pack rank: Beta Male
Alignment: Principled
Height: 4’5” at the shoulders, 5’ 9” at the top of the head
Weight: 400lbs (much of this Gorehound is streamlined and its tail makes a great counter weight balance for sharp quick turns at high speeds)
Width: 2’8” feet wide shoulder to shoulder. 3’5” including shoulder-mounted arsenal
Length: 7 feet from tip of nose to rump, with a long 7-foot tail for balance and speed handling
Speed: 110 mph

Features:
Enhancements: Motion Detection, Suction Cups and Gripping Hairs on all Four Paws, Reinforced Exoskeleton, Resistance to Heat, Optical Focus Upgrade, Heat Projector Cannon over Right Shoulder- on command fires a beam of ultra intense heat generated from the weapon’s “eye” to fire a blast hot enough to burn through ceramics, steel and the hardest metal alloys, Viral Immobilizer over Left Shoulder- This weapon discharges a bolt of liquid that carries a virus designed to stop machines by bonding instantly to any inorganic material(metals, alloys, ceramics, plastics, etc.), sticking the moving parts together like super glue via micro-mooring of the inorganic particles in an ever growing viral cluster that spreads up through the machine like super fast growing coral. This results in a machine being coated in a rock hard casing, unable to move or operate until the stuff is chiseled away. The coral like spreading virus is even capable of re-growing and reattaching and reestablishing itself if broken and it must often be removed by other parties or until it dies, though that usually takes 6-36 minutes or to burn it off.
Skills of Note: Trust/Intimidate

AVALON

Breed derivative: Based off of an Airedale Terrier
Description: Although she has a rank of power in the pack Avalon is somewhat of a loner both in and out of combat. She loves to stalk, ambush, and hunt machines and animals and finds much enjoyment in sitting invisible just a few feet from her intended prey waiting intently for Boris to give the order to strike. Avalon also has a very strong protective urges when it comes to humans, who she sees as exposed and fragile. Out of combat she is a trickster and loves using her stealth abilities to confuse and harass the pack and other war mounts in the holding pens.

Pack rank: Beta Female
Alignment: Unprincipled
Height: 4’ 3”
Weight: 425lbs
Width: 3’3” feet shoulder to shoulder
Length: 7 feet from tip of the nose to her rump, with a foot long tail.
Speed: 110 mph

Features:
Enhancements: Cups and Gripping Hairs on all Four Paws, Tangle Foot launcher housed in her left paw that when she stomps the ground, Trench Foot Mines x 4 with two right below each front shoulder – these bulbous housed in the protective tube housings are greenish black colored tumor growths are made to fall out of the tubes on command and once on the ground, and Avalon loves to strategically dig a quick small hole to plant them and concealing them, Forked Tongue, and Stealth Field.

FREEWAY

Breed derivative: Based off of a Rottweiler
Description: Freeway is the Defender of the weak. He likes nothing more than to be in the spotlight as the one who saved the day. He is also the tank of the pack, rushing in and adsorbing the heavy hits with his powerful shield so that the rest of the pack can get in close. He maintains this guardian persona outside of combat as well, being the one to comfort the lowers ranking pack members especially the omega.

Pack rank: Gamma Male (Rank holds no Power)
Alignment: Scrupulous
Height: 4’2” at the shoulder, 6 feet at the top of the head,
Weight: 475lbs
Width: 3’6” wide shoulder to shoulder
Length: 8 feet long from the tip of the nose to the rump with a short half a foot docked tail
Speed: 110mph

Features: Motion Detection, Suction Cups and Gripping Hairs on all Four Paws, Reinforced Exoskeleton and Bio Force Field.
Skills of Note: Trust/Intimidate.

DUTCHESS

Breed derivative: Based off of an English Bulldog
Description: This is the newest addition to the Kiev pack and not much has been revealed about this sourmug as of yet. I speculate a very tenacious, durable, stubborn bulldog to make this debut very… entertaining.

Pack rank: Unknown
Alignment: Unknown
Height: *3’11” at the shoulder
Weight: *480lbs solid
Width: nearly 4 feet across shoulder-to-shoulder
Length: *6’10” from the tip of the lower jaw to the rump, and a half a foot tail.

Features: Reinforced exoskeleton, Prehensile tongue (that actually splits at the end into 4 or 5 smaller tentacles to assist in entangling or grappling), reinforced Jaw, underbite canines upgraded to Saber teeth equipped with to tendril injectors, Acid blood and acid nodules in the mouth so he is constantly “drooling” acid, and grip hairs.

* Special Note: Please note that Gorehounds have a 6 month gestation period, plus one year growth time, so this big boy still has some filling out to do before he reaches full size & maturity.

** This is also “CHUCK WALTON’s UNOFFICIAL” visual disclaimer as to why the previous Packmaster illustration has a much smaller scaled Greener Gorehound as it still hasn’t reached full maturity and scale, though once it is full grown it will be a full sized Gorehound. CHEERS!

CHEERS
Last edited by Premier on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: New PACKMASTER & GOREHOUNDS Artwork with usable stats

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

EPIC WIN
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Galactus Kid

My brother in law is picking it up from the framers tomorrow.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

The Galactus Kid wrote:My brother in law is picking it up from the framers tomorrow.

I am very proud of these pieces Brandon and I am glad they went to such great players and creative minds of the game!!

BTW, did you guys come up with a name for the English Bulldog Gorehound? They really seem so much more formidable at their appropriate scale.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:I find it very hard to discribe how cool that is without cursing.

Thanks a good cursing deal!!! Hopefully now, people see Gorehounds & Packmasters in a different light, smile!
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Those Gorehounds kick some major league ***. That picture could sell copies of the book. :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

simply amazing, if i could remember my DA password i would vote on it. Truely a work of real art.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Dude, that is awesome work
The Dragon Has Spoken
Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ale Golem »

Fantastic, not exactly what I picture when I imagine a Gorehound but still undeniably awesome.
Check it out and love it! http://www.badgreymatter.com/
The Galactus Kid

The English bulldogs name is Dutchess.

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Shawn Merrow
" Those Gorehounds kick some major league ***. That picture could sell copies of the book"

Thanks a million Shawn, I hope it does as I can envision major plans & growth for this RPG setting

Ziggurat the Eternal
"simply amazing, if i could remember my DA password i would vote on it. Truely a work of real art."

Awe mannn.... Thanks! Maybe you should have them resend you the password as we could always use Zigg on DA. Your nomination vote for it for a Daily Deviation could bring Splicers a wealth of exposure and possible increased book sales. The more ppl know about it the more they will want to inquire.

Snake Eyes
"Dude, that is awesome work"

Thank you so much, and coming from you that is a humbling compliment indeed. As I know you do some awesome ideas & writing as well.

Ale Golem
"Fantastic, not exactly what I picture when I imagine a Gorehound but still undeniably awesome."

Thank You Ale! Yeah this is a Great House Warsaw take on the Gorehounds and I think it does add dimension to the Gorehound aesthetics. I think it is quite feasible that some Librian(s) would already be aware of or discover info about historic breeds and out of choice & or desire, and this may influence some Gorehound designs to have some House distinctions. Let alone features to help benefit the aesthetics for each individual Packaster, as long as it didn't hinder performance in the field. I would also imagine it easier to make the distinctions between individual Gorehounds of a pack if they were each physically different.

As a MAJOR Dog enthusiast I can tell you, I have seen big game hunter & combat breeds work & perform, and the hunters always seem to know which is which even though they may all look the same at times. What I find interesting is that often, the big game hunters usually use a mix of breeds to work the quarry, with "bay dogs" to be lighter, faster and to chase & corner the quarry, and then the "luggers" to be released to engage & seize the quarry so that it is immobilized. Gorehounds would literally be devastating upon most adversaries, period. I think that is why I favor this OCC so much.

I do have my vision of the standard Gorehounds more so as the Rottweiller X Doberman cross body style with similar styled armor plating seen here, that gives them that sort of reptilian alien look that is described in the first sourcebook. Slappy & I do have some things cooking for these canines as well.

BTW, What did you have in mind as to how they look?

GK
"The English bulldogs name is Dutchess."

Ahh... Now is that Durchess as in Big boy Dutchess or as in Lady Dutchess? Either way I can go ahead and adjust the writing on the image to reflect the name now. How is the Bulldog doing BTW?
The Galactus Kid

Lady. She's a good girl and holding her own.

Snake Eyes
Hero

I just noticed that the Gorehound that looks like an airedale (top center) has a forked tongue
The Dragon Has Spoken
The Galactus Kid

She's the scout for the group. That combined with stealth field, and trenchfoot mines makes for a nasty combo.

Snake Eyes
Hero

The Galactus Kid wrote:She's the scout for the group. That combined with stealth field, and trenchfoot mines makes for a nasty combo.

Very cool indeed
The Dragon Has Spoken
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

stats now enclosed in first post
Snake Eyes
Hero

Very cool details on the Gorehounds & Packmaster
The Dragon Has Spoken
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Great art!!! My group & GM put horn defence on nearly everyone of our creations, It that good of an upgrade.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
The Galactus Kid

Horned defense and reinforced exoskeleton are incredible. If you want to see an excellent representation of Horned Defense, check out the work Chuck did for me on Brutus and Fallon. Its in his gallery on Deviant art.

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Oh, you have really found your inspirational motherlode with the Splicers theme, haven't you? :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

WOW !!!
Great Art.
WOW !!!

Where did my Splicers book go. :D
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Gazirra
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it.
-Groucho Marx

Unread post by Gazirra »

Simply amazing! :eek:
It truly has me re-thinking a Packmaster I'm working on O.o
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

love this picture even have it set as by background on my comp but sitting there looking at it
got me thinking what would that pick look like if the dogs were dogboys from rifts 3 to 4 ft tall
bulldog dogboy with those splicer powers would be one scarry thing if it were chasing you

got me wondering if anyone had ever done that befor in a game mixed the dogboys from rifts
with gorehounds from splicers wuld be allmost the same function as a psi-stalker running a
group of dog-boys
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players
The Galactus Kid

FYI TO ALL OPENHOUSE GAMERS!!!

THIS PACKMASTER WILL BE AVAILABLE TO PLAY IN MY SPLICERS OPEN HOUSE GAMES!!!

Also, come to the open house to meet his creator (Michael Orr) and the artist who so wonderfully illustrated it (Chuck Walton)...and me (Brandon K. Aten)

TechnoGothic
Knight

kevarin wrote:love this picture even have it set as by background on my comp but sitting there looking at it
got me thinking what would that pick look like if the dogs were dogboys from rifts 3 to 4 ft tall
bulldog dogboy with those splicer powers would be one scarry thing if it were chasing you

got me wondering if anyone had ever done that befor in a game mixed the dogboys from rifts
with gorehounds from splicers wuld be allmost the same function as a psi-stalker running a
group of dog-boys

Except the idea behind the Packmaster and Gorehounds is much better.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

TechnoGothic wrote:
kevarin wrote:love this picture even have it set as by background on my comp but sitting there looking at it

group of dog-boys

i just ment i thought the pick would look cool that way kinda get an idea from the greyhound they way its laying on the ground allmost could pass as a dogboy laying on its side i do like the idea behind the gorehounds and would love to see an expanded section on them with stats for some off the diffrent breeds of dogs i wouldnt think all dogs would have the same stats and abilitys and some gorhound specific weapons would be cool
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

The Galactus Kid

Yeah, we actually used a number of things in our Splicers game to make each of the Gorehounds unique. The breed variants were based off of a list compiled from the dogpack breeds in Rifts: Ultimate Edition and After the Bomb 2nd edition. I'm going to try to get them in a rifter sometime soon.

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Gazirra:

Simply amazing!
It truly has me re-thinking a Packmaster I'm working on O.o

Thank You so much, and if that is the case then I once again have fulfilled my purpose with the illo. Though a great amount of credit is due to the concept behind the illo (Michael Orr & Branden (Galactus Kid) Aten. I think that the scale of the Gorehounds was one of the issues that simply wasn’t conveyed in my original and I felt his is a way of redeeming the true Packmasters. Seeing how big they really are in comparison I think makes them far more formidable in appearance and presence. I will likely redo the original to convey this as well.

Kevarin:
love this picture even have it set as by background on my comp

What an honor and I am humbled to here this. Makes me feel like I am doing something right

sitting there looking at it got me thinking what would that pick look like if the dogs were dogboys from rifts 3 to 4 ft tall bulldog dogboy with those splicer powers would be one scarry thing if it were chasing you got me wondering if anyone had ever done that befor in a game mixed the dogboys from rifts
with gorehounds from splicers wuld be allmost the same function as a psi-stalker running a group of dog-boys

Well, Slappy & I are actually expounding on the Packmasters & Gorehounds in part of the material we are working on. We are actually seeking to sculpt the Packmaster more to its own versus building the similarities between them and Psi Stalkers. This is based on the setting itself and what it would require of the Gorehounds. As an avid dog enthusiasts with years of knowledge under the belt on various breeds, especially the formidable ones, I can assure you that Function begets form is more applicable in such a harsh setting than breed aesthetics, though as this is a House to House decision, the variances in bio-engineering can range tremendously. In the end though, pre-zygotic selection (breed) distinctions would likely be very little in range and be funneled into genotype selection. There are some things to be leery of at times though when we are taking stats from previous material where there are some discrepancies between breed choices.

One that stands out to me is the Bully breed difference made between the Boxer & Bullmastiff/Bulldog. Particularly between a bullmastiff and a boxer whom both share an almost identical proportioned muzzle to stop scale & underbite, wrinkle accumulation over the nasal and their olfactory are quite similar and yet the boxer is given a +4% for tracking by smell, while the bullmastiff is to be penalized by 30% and are called poor trackers by smell. This is inaccurate when it comes to comparing these breeds. Bullmastiffs are used in the field today as catch dogs and service dogs as well as boxers. Bullmastiffs & Neapolitan mastiffs were also called the games keeper dog, which protected the land from poachers, burglars and predators and this often was done in the dark where their sense of smell ha dot be up to code to detect intrusions on a vast land. This is why We are imputing a great deal of sound research, comprehensive discussion, debates and thought processing into the source material to provide sound material for this awesome and unique game setting. There will be variances for you to enjoy, but not like I think everyone is expecting, though hopefully we wont let anyone down.

Galactus Kid:
FYI TO ALL OPENHOUSE GAMERS!!!

Also, come to the open house to meet his creator (Michael Orr) and the artist who so wonderfully illustrated it (Chuck Walton)...and me (Brandon K. Aten)

Now that is a treat for anyone to play! Is there anyway we can have a scribe for this POH2010Splicers to tell everyone how things unfold?

Technogothic

Yeah the idea is something truly akin to hunters of big game & the War dogs of old where functionality is rudiment, and I can tell you, that Packmasters are the embodiment of functionality in the field when it comes to the pack function as one.
Last edited by Premier on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

Premier wrote:
Ale Golem
"Fantastic, not exactly what I picture when I imagine a Gorehound but still undeniably awesome."

Thank You Ale! Yeah this is a Great House Warsaw take on the Gorehounds and I think it does add dimension to the Gorehound aesthetics. I think it is quite feasible that some Librian(s) would already be aware of or discover info about historic breeds and out of choice & or desire, and this may influence some Gorehound designs to have some House distinctions. Let alone features to help benefit the aesthetics for each individual Packaster, as long as it didn't hinder performance in the field. I would also imagine it easier to make the distinctions between individual Gorehounds of a pack if they were each physically different.

As a MAJOR Dog enthusiast I can tell you, I have seen big game hunter & combat breeds work & perform, and the hunters always seem to know which is which even though they may all look the same at times. What I find interesting is that often, the big game hunters usually use a mix of breeds to work the quarry, with "bay dogs" to be lighter, faster and to chase & corner the quarry, and then the "luggers" to be released to engage & seize the quarry so that it is immobilized. Gorehounds would literally be devastating upon most adversaries, period. I think that is why I favor this OCC so much.

I do have my vision of the standard Gorehounds more so as the Rottweiller X Doberman cross body style with similar styled armor plating seen here, that gives them that sort of reptilian alien look that is described in the first sourcebook. Slappy & I do have some things cooking for these canines as well.

BTW, What did you have in mind as to how they look?
I always pictured a kind of xenomorph slant to their look, much like what's presented in the base book. But your drawing and explanation of said artistic license has me rethinking the various houses "breeding" practices. I absolutely love Fantasia's look, Alaskan wolves and husky breeds are some of my favorite looking dogs, well them and wiener dogs. :lol:
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

I always pictured a kind of xenomorph slant to their look, much like what's presented in the base book. But your drawing and explanation of said artistic license has me rethinking the various houses "breeding" practices. I absolutely love Fantasia's look, Alaskan wolves and husky breeds are some of my favorite looking dogs, well them and wiener dogs. :lol:

Oh, who said we don't have a more Xeno styled Gorehound, :wink: ? We haven't released our take on the expansion of Gorehounds, yet. I used my new image (unseen) of the the standard Gorehound as the base foundation for illustrating the Fantasia Gorehound. That head type is the phenotype I visualize for the standard Gorehund minus the armored fur tuffs on the cheeks & mane. They for the standard gorehound in my eyes is to preserve that dog look that makes "humans" remain comfortable and accustomed to these bioengineered canid weapons. After all they are the true introductory of Biotech for the Human Resistance. If the standard Gorehounds were scary monsters (on the outside), it might be less inviting for the intro & cultivation of Biotech. This does not mean that the Standard Gorehound is going to be shabby. By all means I plan to make sure that the Standard gorehound is still very impressive. I look and compare modern military vehicles and weapons to Splicers Biotech and no one in today's military purposely produces standard fighter planes, tanks, etc. that are weak or low end as a standard. So neither will the standard gorehounds be.

The expansion Gorehounds however will have an interesting new take... Can't discuss them yet, but you will see what I mean.

BTW, Alaskan wolves, malmutes & huskies are indeed impressive canids, perhaps you might have also be interested in or heard of Ovtcharkas (both the Caucasian & Central Asian variety). These are some very nice looking yet formidable breeds that still have been preserved for the functionality & performance.
The Galactus Kid

Premier wrote:BTW, Alaskan wolves, malmutes & huskies are indeed impressive canids, perhaps you might have also be interested in or heard of Ovtcharkas (both the Caucasian & Central Asian variety). These are some very nice looking yet formidable breeds that still have been preserved for the functionality & performance.

BTW, Borris has an Ovtcharka in his quarters that he is presently trying to breed with one owned by one of the Senators of Great House Warsaw. Gotta keep the breed pure (and gotta use that Breed Dogs skill...hahaha).

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Ah…, Brandon now that’s a great idea for haven quarter living! A great and wonderful guardian, that can surely give intruders a run for their money you have found a true treasure with the Ovtcharka. Other goodies would be an Anatolian, Sarplaninac, Kangal, Metchkar, Rashka or Serbian beardog. BTW, are you speaking on a naturally preserved pure Ovtcharka or a Gorehound version because that made me wonder about breeding?

Could Gorehounds reproduce naturally or must they all undergo the gene pool creation process like all other Warmounts? I figured the latter so that a House can maintain control on the Gorehound population, bonding processes, resources and avoid undesirable outbreaks, anomalies or predations.

Also I figured I would share a few goodies from my archives so that people can see just how impressive “domesticated’ breeds can be.

A.)
This is the Lamborghini of the canine world and a result of at least 5000 years selective breeding. Please note that this is during daytime in a desert and the temperature can easily reach above 50 degree celsius.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJtblKj_NmE

B.) www.cheetah.org/ama/orig/Using-Guarding ... n--CDP.pdf
“We have some observational data on how the livestock guarding dogs interacted with predators, with the dogs becoming very agitated and barking loudly at the approach of the predator. In some instances, farmers have witnessed their dogs fighting with predators, and the dogs have been recorded as killing jackal, leopards and baboons that were threatening the stock. Although adult Anatolian Shepherd Dogs, which weigh approximately 40 kg, outweigh baboons by 20-25 kg, they are fairly similar in size to leopards, which averaged 46 kg for males and 30 kg for females in our study area (Marker & Dickman in press).

“We received no reports of livestock guarding dogs being killed either by predators (i.e. cheetahs or leopards) or by other dogs, although there were two reported incidents of young dogs being killed by
baboons.”

Please note: This was a case of an Anatolian dog killing a leopard single handedly

C.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99mSmWw6iuo
Dogo Argentino on the hunt in South America. This breed is reknown for its prowess in cougar hunting (even single-handedly killing adult South American cougars) and taking imported Russian boars via packs. You gotta watch this one to believe it and imagine what a Gorehound would be like in the field. I didn't post any of the dogo vs cougar or boar fights for forum rules sakes.

D.)
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... sacre.html
"The Arizona Republic
Nov. 18, 2005 12:00 AM
A mountain lion tore through a flock of emus at a ranch near the Santan Mountains south of Queen Creek, killing 20 of the 6-foot birds and leaving neighbors concerned about the safety of their children.

Joe Carreiro, owner of the massacred emus, said he spotted the lion walking away from one of the carcasses at about 6:30 a.m. Wednesday and then an hour later as it stalked his neighbor's horse. At that point, Carreiro said his dog, a 120-pound bull mastiff, crawled under a fence and barreled into the mountain lion, starting a fight that left the dog with scratches across its neck and arms but forcing the heavier cat to retreat.

"If it wasn't for my bull mastiff here . . . her horse would be history" Carreiro said. "I guarantee that. It was going to take her horse down for sure." But none of Carreiro's emus, which he kept in pens close to his house, survived.

"Emus can kill a coyote, but they don't stand a chance to a mountain lion," he said of the flightless birds, which are related to ostriches but not as large.

On Wednesday Carreiro contacted the Arizona Game and Fish Department, which confirmed that the carnage was the work of a mountain lion, most likely a male that would typically weigh about 145 pounds, said Randy Babb, a biologist with the department. "

This is why I say, doing research on zoology/animals or biology, chemistry, genetics, etc. for Biotech, HAs or Warmounts might produce some very interesting and sound innovations. I could list a ton more but I think everyone gets the message.
Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

You know what's pretty cool? When you started this thread I had a completely different mental image of Gorehounds in general, now a couple years later every time I think of a Packmaster this image pops into my head and I can't imagine Gorehounds not being based off of specific canine breeds. Well done, I'd say that's the mark of some truly great game art.
Last edited by Ale Golem on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
TechnoGothic
Knight

I like Pack Masters and there Gorehounds alot.
I make more use of Gorehounds and Packmasters than i do Outriders.
To me Packmasters and Outriders should be the same OCC. Human in Living Body Armor with one or more splicer animals they use for whatever purpose. I do not need multiple Occs to cover the same basic concept.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

strictly speaking, officially outriders wear host armor (though of course, that can be changed) not living armor.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Shark_Force wrote:strictly speaking, officially outriders wear host armor (though of course, that can be changed) not living armor.

Outriders don't need Host Armor though. Living Body Armor is more than enough for them.
Only Dreadguard should get Host Armor right off the bat to me.
Heck i restrict Host Armor to just Proto-Armor for Roughnecks, Outriders, Packmasters if they earn the right to get one. But they never are never given True Host-Armor, that a Dreadguard only thing.

Besides you noticed how much better Living Body Armor heals vs Host Armors ?

I also make more use of Proto-Armor in general, even for Dreadguards. Half of all Dreadguards still prefer the Proto-Armor vs True Host Armor in my games.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

like i said, it can be changed.

but, by default, outriders and roughnecks get host armor.

that said, i agree that living armor seems a much better fit (though it would be a reasonably well upgraded living armor).
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

i have been working on adding some color to splicer pictures and i just finished this one a few days ago and thought i would post a link to it

http://fav.me/d4govms

hope you all like it and please feel free to leave a comment

Snake Eyes
Hero

kevarin wrote:i have been working on adding some color to splicer pictures and i just finished this one a few days ago and thought i would post a link to it

http://fav.me/d4govms

hope you all like it and please feel free to leave a comment

That really looks cool :ok:
The Dragon Has Spoken
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Witchcraft »

That really looks incredible! Will we see it in the new Splicers book? Is it for sale as a print or as a poster or something? Forgive my naivete.
There is no spoon.
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

Witchcraft wrote:That really looks incredible! Will we see it in the new Splicers book? Is it for sale as a print or as a poster or something? Forgive my naivete.

No this picture will not be for sale it belongs to The Galactus Kid and I just colored it for fun

The Galactus Kid

kevarin wrote:
Witchcraft wrote:That really looks incredible! Will we see it in the new Splicers book? Is it for sale as a print or as a poster or something? Forgive my naivete.

No this picture will not be for sale it belongs to The Galactus Kid and I just colored it for fun

I commissioned it but it belongs to my brother in law. I am going to try to speak with Kevin and Wayne and get it in the Rifter that our Dog Pack article is going to be in. Probably April.

kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
kevarin wrote:

I commissioned it but it belongs to my brother in law. I am going to try to speak with Kevin and Wayne and get it in the Rifter that our Dog Pack article is going to be in. Probably April.

i would love to know what you think of my work galactus ?

The Galactus Kid

kevarin wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:
kevarin wrote:

i would love to know what you think of my work galactus ?

I think its great. I really enjoyed it. I meant to reply to your PM the other day to let you know, but I dropped the ball.

ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

WOW !!!SICK AWESOME!!MAN !!!LOVE IT
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

WOW That was awesome art and a very cool write up of NPCs. Thank you for sharing.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
The Galactus Kid

The Galactus Kid wrote:
kevarin wrote:

OK, well, I just talked to Wayne and my brother in law. It looks like we're going to put together another Splicers article for Rifter #59. It will be focused on the Packmaster and modifications to the class and Gorehounds. It will probably include new and additional Bio-enhancements, specific enhancements for gorehounds, and some new bio-tech equipment.

If time and space allow, we may also do the same thing for Technojackers as a second article...maybe for Rifter #60. If Wayne sees fit, maybe we'll get it into the next one.

The Galactus Kid

Ok, well, the article is in and my brother in law has submitted his unsolicited manuscript form. We don't know for certain whether or not the article will be in Rifter #59, but it should be somewhere in the queue. Next Rifter article will either be an article for Rifts, or the aforementioned Techno-Jacker article for Splicers. I have two writing projects to finish before then, though. A project for Third-Eye Games and finishing the Sovietski.

darkguyver
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: I have writing disability so if need me retype please let me known thank for read and posting please be respectful

Unread post by darkguyver »

The Galactus Kid wrote:FYI TO ALL OPENHOUSE GAMERS!!!

Can get copy of Character Sheet love use as NPC in game sometime
Image/Image

Megaversal Ambassador®
darkguyver
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: I have writing disability so if need me retype please let me known thank for read and posting please be respectful

Unread post by darkguyver »

The Galactus Kid wrote:FYI TO ALL OPENHOUSE GAMERS!!!

Well anyway get copy of Character Sheet that would be great like use him as NPC thanks latter
Image/Image

Megaversal Ambassador®

Return to “Splicers®”