Phase World: Diplomat O.C.C.

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Phase World: Diplomat O.C.C.

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Might be running a Phase World game in a few months and had a player who wanted to play a Diplomat. I wrote up one real quickly and figured might as well share it with the board.

Diplomat O.C.C.

The diplomats help keep the peace in the Three Galaxies. When things get hot its usually up to them to come in and calm things down. This work requires someone to handle a wide range of situations. One day they could be rubbing elbows with the social elite. The next in the middle of a battlefield trying to bring an end to a civil war. Even in the worse situations the diplomat most always present a calm appearance. Since they are often placed in front when dealing with emerging problems they are given a great deal of authority. Of course one who exceeds his authority or angers the higher ups will have a nasty fall. Being a diplomat is always a tight rope walk between responsibility and getting the job done.

Attribute Requirements: I.Q. 12, M.A. 12. A high P.B. comes in handy.
O.C.C. Abilities and Bonuses: +2 to M.A. & M.E.. Due to training in the social graces receive a 20% bonus to charm/impress and trust/intimidate.
Contacts: Due to their line of work any smart diplomat will build up as many contacts as possible. These are people in positions to help him with his job. They can range from fellow diplomats to government officials and high ranking military officers. The level of connection can range from someone who you can get inside information from or a person who will act directly in your interest. At level one start with 1D4+1 contacts. At every odd level add one more contact for free. Of course more contacts can be gained through role-playing. The position and importance of the contacts must be worked out with the GM.
O.C.C. Skills
Language and Literate: Native 98%
Three Languages and Literate of choice (+20%)
Lore: Galactic/Alien (+20%)
History: Pick government (+15)
Law: Pick government (+15%)
Intelligence (+10%)
Math: Basic (+10%)
Public Speaking (+10%)
Radio: Basic (+10%)
Research (+10%)
Wardrobe & Grooming (+10%)
W.P. Energy Pistol
Hand to Hand: Basic can be changed to Expert at the cost of one related skill and Martial Arts at the cost of two other skills (or Assassin if evil alignment).
O.C.C. Related Skills: Select twelve other skills at level one. +1 additional skills at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15. All new skills start at level one proficiency.
Communications: Any (+10%)
Cowboy: None
Domestic: Any (+10%)
Electrical: None
Espionage: Any except sniper.
Horsemanship: Exotic and General only.
Mechanical: Basic Mechanics only.
Medical: First Aid only.
Military: None
Physical: Any, except Acrobatics, Gymnastics, Kick Boxing and Wrestling.
Pilot: Any, except military, power armor and robots.
Pilot Related: Any
Rogue: Any (+10%)
Science: Any (+10%)
Technical: Any (+15%)
W.P.: Any, except Military and Heavy Energy Weapons
Wilderness: Any
Secondary Skills: Select three other skills from the Secondary Skills list. +1 at levels 2, 5, 8, 12 and 15. These are additional area of knowledge that do not gain any bonuses except for a high I.Q. Bonus. All skills start at base proficiency.
Standard Equipment: Four sets of formal attire, four sets of civilian clothes, hand computer, portable translator, secure briefcase for transporting documents, light body armor for high risk assignments, one weapon for each W.P..
Money: 3D6x1,000 credits.
Cybernetics: None to start with. May acquire later if desired.
Experience Table: Use the Rogue Scholar O.C.C. table from RUE.

Edits: Changes made based on suggestions below. +2 to M.A. & M.E. and changed money to 3D6x1,000.

Edits: Added information for contacts.
Last edited by Shawn Merrow on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Phase World: Diplomat O.C.C.

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Looks interesting. I would consider dropping WP Energy Pistol from OCC skills, increasing the Galactic/Alien Lore, History, Law and Wardrobe to +25% and then dropping the OCC related to 10 skills. The starting money seems very low, shouldn't it at least be 3D6 x1000?.

What about Attribute bonuses? What about a +1D4 to M.E and +1D6 to M.A? Maybe even a +1D4 to P.B. considering their focus on their appearance? What about a +4 bonus to save vs. mind controlling psionics or drugs? (considering they need to mentally protect secrets in discussions with psi-creatures). I may even drop the OCC related skills to 8 if I added the attribute bonuses. Personally, that +20% to charm/impress and trust/intimidate is a BIG ability. Maybe consider some way for the Diplomat to increase those abilities over levels?

This OCC and some related versions based on the various powers in Phase World would make an interesting Rifter article. Most diplomats would be attached to one of the powers or worlds, but I could see a need for freelance negotiators - especially in business deals. How about some tech items used by diplomats?
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

I agree a good occ. It surprises me that PB has not included one in any of the Phaseworld books. Considering how much poilitcal intrigue one finds in the three galaxies.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Not too shabby. I have a few bones though...

First, the required MA is too high. In the Transgalactic Empire, the most common diplomats are Dark Tribe Wulfen, becasue the Kreeghor a) have no experience in strategic arms limitation talks, and b) think such things are beneath them. Therefore, this "crap" duty falls to their vassal races, chief amoung them being the Wulfen.

At a required 12 (Wulfen only get 2D6 for MA), there's gong to be a dearth of TGE diplomats and an overabundance of CCW ones. Unless that was the point, the OCC either needs an MA bonus, or the number should be dropped to 10 or so.

Second, diplomats are not fighters. If they are going into a warzone, then they will travel with an armed escourt (which is where the rest of the PC party comes in :wink: ). Don't give them a hand-to-hand form to start, nor any WPs. They should still have the option of picking these up as skills, just not as an automatic part of their chosen career path.

Third, what about Barter as an OCC skill? Not neccessarily in terms of trading a chicken for a new radio, or course, but more along the line of "We'll remove our missiles from Cuba, if you pull your forces away from Turkey", so to speak.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I dunno...Ever read any Keith Laumer's 'Retief of the CDT' series?...'Two Fisted Diplomacy'(or 'Diplomacy as it is really practiced') involves a fair amount of arm-twisting, eyestalk-wrenching, pressure-point squeezing, elbow-shot-to-the-unidentifiable-organ, work...
That's my model for a fast-moving diplomatic campaign :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shawn Merrow

Spinachcat wrote:Looks interesting. I would consider dropping WP Energy Pistol from OCC skills, increasing the Galactic/Alien Lore, History, Law and Wardrobe to +25% and then dropping the OCC related to 10 skills. The starting money seems very low, shouldn't it at least be 3D6 x1000?.

What about Attribute bonuses? What about a +1D4 to M.E and +1D6 to M.A? Maybe even a +1D4 to P.B. considering their focus on their appearance? What about a +4 bonus to save vs. mind controlling psionics or drugs? (considering they need to mentally protect secrets in discussions with psi-creatures). I may even drop the OCC related skills to 8 if I added the attribute bonuses. Personally, that +20% to charm/impress and trust/intimidate is a BIG ability. Maybe consider some way for the Diplomat to increase those abilities over levels?

This OCC and some related versions based on the various powers in Phase World would make an interesting Rifter article. Most diplomats would be attached to one of the powers or worlds, but I could see a need for freelance negotiators - especially in business deals. How about some tech items used by diplomats?

First thanks for the comments.

When I create an O.C.C. I base it on exsisting ones to make sure its not to overdone. In this case the main ones were the CAF Fleet Officer and Rogue Scholar with looks at other CAF O.C.C. and the Rogue Scientist.

They got W.P. Energy Pistol since even the CAF Scientist gets gets two W.P. and they will see more trouble then that. Same with the HtH: Basic. The Rogue Scientist gets 15 O.C.C. Related Skills so didn't think 12 was to much for a character that is supposed to be highly trained. As for starting money based it on what CAF O.C.C. start with. A bump to x1,000 does make sense so will do that.

With the bonuses for starting skills just didn't want to get to high. I went with the +20% to charm/impress/trust/intimidate to give them something unique. On attribute bonuses thought about that and at first wasn't sure. I will go back and give them +2 to M.E. and M.A.. I don't want to go any higher. Not sure about the +4 to "save vs. mind controlling psionics or drugs" myself.

On the starting equipment never been to good at picking that. Would take suggestions for other equipment.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Shawn Merrow

Braden Campbell wrote:Not too shabby. I have a few bones though...

First, the required MA is too high. In the Transgalactic Empire, the most common diplomats are Dark Tribe Wulfen, becasue the Kreeghor a) have no experience in strategic arms limitation talks, and b) think such things are beneath them. Therefore, this "crap" duty falls to their vassal races, chief amoung them being the Wulfen.

At a required 12 (Wulfen only get 2D6 for MA), there's gong to be a dearth of TGE diplomats and an overabundance of CCW ones. Unless that was the point, the OCC either needs an MA bonus, or the number should be dropped to 10 or so.

Second, diplomats are not fighters. If they are going into a warzone, then they will travel with an armed escourt (which is where the rest of the PC party comes in :wink: ). Don't give them a hand-to-hand form to start, nor any WPs. They should still have the option of picking these up as skills, just not as an automatic part of their chosen career path.

Third, what about Barter as an OCC skill? Not neccessarily in terms of trading a chicken for a new radio, or course, but more along the line of "We'll remove our missiles from Cuba, if you pull your forces away from Turkey", so to speak.

First thanks for the comments.

On number one the Transgalactic Empire has more Humans and Machine People then Wolfen so they should be ok. I have added a +2 to M.A. though.

Second as said above even the CAF Scientist gets at least that and figured they should be able to defend themselves.

Third didn't think of that skill but really does not seem to match the skill description. I will think about it.

Shawn Merrow

Also forgot to say thanks to everyone else. :)

taalismn
Priest

Now you need special diplomatic equipment...encrypted diplomatic pouches, anti-bug/eavesdropping devices(and means to negate them for recording conversations), portable medkits(so you don't throw up in the lap of the Prime MInister at the state dinner), tailored spacesuits for talks in hazardous environs, communications aides for talking with beings not of your species(such as holographic hands/limbs for beings who take body language cues...as well as an optical translator to pick up on such cues)...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Shawn,

Nice job :ok: Figure I'll throw in my two cents and some comments on peoples comments :)

Braden Campbell wrote:First, the required MA is too high. In the Transgalactic Empire, the most common diplomats are Dark Tribe Wulfen, because the Kreeghor a) have no experience in strategic arms limitation talks, and b) think such things are beneath them. Therefore, this "crap" duty falls to their vassal races, chief among them being the Wulfen.

I'll admit I might not have thought of this, but I've been knee deep in Rifts for the last year or so. Ok, by the numbers there are not going to be many Wulfen diplomats, but by definition I would think a diplomat is going to be an extraordinary individual anyway. So that rare wulfen who does get a 12 for their M.A. is more likely to be a diplomat anyway. I think just about every race is likely to have diplomats so perhaps something like "A High M.A. and M.E. are are suggested for a diplomat". This will allow flexibility for more races. Or you could even say the M.A. and M.E. should be above average for their race. Just a thought.

Braden Campbell wrote:Second, diplomats are not fighters. If they are going into a warzone, then they will travel with an armed escourt (which is where the rest of the PC party comes in ). Don't give them a hand-to-hand form to start, nor any WPs. They should still have the option of picking these up as skills, just not as an automatic part of their chosen career path.

My initial thought was I like the HTH basic. I can see a diplomatic core where they may need to know how to defend themselves, but Braden smacked me with his logic. Plus being that that have a 12 O.C.C. related skills and not to many limitations yeah, I can see his point.

I like the attribute bonuses and the bonuses to trust/intimidate. I think every O.C.C. should offer something unique. In that respect I try and add something unique as well. In this case I might give an O.C.C. ability of contacts.

The Diplomat from his travels has established 1D4 reliable contacts. These contacts are persons of importance, such as a government official, a fellow diplomat, or someone of influence (perhaps Thraxus or someone from the Manors) or even a corporate executive. These contacts are on friendly terms with the character and may even owe him a favor or at the very least the contact can provide important info, or point the character to someone who can assist them. I would say through role-playing the character is likely to make additional contacts or they could add one every two or three levels.

Carl
ImageImage
Braden Campbell

Carl raises some really good points and ideas. All in all, this is shaping up to be a really welcome OCC addition.
Braden, GMPhD

Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Great OCC Shawn! I agree with the rest that it is needed in the Phase World setting! I also agree with Taalismn about the Reteif series. I've read a few of them and agree that a diplomate could follow with those sort of activities easily.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Shawn Merrow

taalismn wrote:Now you need special diplomatic equipment...encrypted diplomatic pouches, anti-bug/eavesdropping devices(and means to negate them for recording conversations), portable medkits(so you don't throw up in the lap of the Prime MInister at the state dinner), tailored spacesuits for talks in hazardous environs, communications aides for talking with beings not of your species(such as holographic hands/limbs for beings who take body language cues...as well as an optical translator to pick up on such cues)...

Some interesting idea.

Will think over that and what Carl had to say over the night. Also thanks Carl and Aramanthus. :)

taalismn
Priest

Early on in the Starships' thread DarkMaxx and I came up with a specially manufactured diplomatic shuttle craft that would go well with this idea...
I believe also that the old 'Tools of the Trade' thread had a few interesting espionage/travel devices that would be apropos for diplomats...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

This OCC requires a "partner" occ as well. The secret service agent. Perhaps a rewrite of the Special Forces OCC from Mercenaries. with more focus on intelligence gathering and communications than combat.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
taalismn
Priest

Greyaxe wrote:This OCC requires a "partner" occ as well. The secret service agent. Perhaps a rewrite of the Special Forces OCC from Mercenaries. with more focus on intelligence gathering and communications than combat.

In the interim, tweaking some some of the OCCs and Career Packages in Aliens Unlimited can do well for representing the services of various CCW member worlds...

Changelings and Auto-Gs in particular make great agents in this regard, since it's difficult for many races, even if humanoid, to pass themselves off as other races without extensive surgical or biogenic modification...After all, if you're a human secret agent, and only one of two or a dozen humans on a planet, and the locals suspect a human of doing something, it's kinda hard to hide 'in plain sight' with a double identity(can't blend into the crowd)...

Again, I reference 'Retief's War' with his human character(s) dressing in suits of armor to disguise themsleves among the local metallic insectoids, though Luamer got a lot of (humorous) mileage out of the aliens(usually the villians) being unable to tell one 'Terry' from another...
"You look like that vile enemy of Groac of Groac, Retief!"
"I'm been told that many times...however, in an entire galaxy of several hundred billion lifeforms, of which only a few billion are humans, the chances of any one specific indiviudal standing here next to you contemplating shoving you headfirst into that garbage dumpster over there border on the infintesimal."
"Huh! That so...Well, regardless, I'm keeping my eyestalk on you, Terry!"
"...and it just happens that today chance is in abeyance..."(grabs the Groaci and shoves him into the garbage dumpster)
*(with apologies to the estate of Keith Laumer)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Braden Campbell

Greyaxe wrote:This OCC requires a "partner" occ as well. The secret service agent...

Corkscrew Galaxy will include an actual Galactic Security Agent OCC (as well as the awesome, nano-augmented Posts)... but in the meantime, you could use the Imperial Security OCC as a guidline. Any of the secret agent OCCs from Between the Shadows could also fill this gap for the time being. (just add a few sapce skills).
Braden, GMPhD

Shawn Merrow

Was a little sick today so next update hopefully Saturday. I do plan add the contacts that Carl suggested.

taalismn
Priest

Braden Campbell wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:This OCC requires a "partner" occ as well. The secret service agent...

Corkscrew Galaxy will include an actual Galactic Security Agent OCC (as well as the awesome, nano-augmented Posts)... but in the meantime, you could use the Imperial Security OCC as a guidline. Any of the secret agent OCCs from Between the Shadows could also fill this gap for the time being. (just add a few sapce skills).

Yep...think of the differences between WW2 German espionage agents and Gestapo and Allied OSS agents for comparison...There's still a lot of gray area for the CCW agents, especially if they're using dubious means to protect 'civilization', while TGE agents abroad can't be TOO overtly nasty for fear of attracting too much attention(they have to be much more careful about disposing of bodies)...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shawn Merrow

Still sick but here is the first draft of the contacts.

Contacts: Due to their line of work any smart diplomat will build up as many contacts as possible. These are people in positions to help him with his job. They can range from fellow diplomats to government officials and high ranking military officers. The level of connection can range from someone who you can get inside information from or a person who will act directly in your interest. At level one start with 1D4+1 contacts. At every odd level add one more contact for free. Of course more contacts can be gained through role-playing. The position and importance of the contacts must be worked out with the GM.

Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Shawn Merrow wrote:Still sick but here is the first draft of the contacts.

Nice job. :ok:

Hope you feel better.

Carl
ImageImage
Shawn Merrow

Thanks Carl. :)

Aramanthus
Monk

I agree with Carl, it's a great addition. Although I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the companion OCC. I think Taalismn's ideas are extremely valid for the sort of companion.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

nice
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Shawn Merrow

TrumbachD wrote:
Sureshot wrote:I agree a good occ. It surprises me that PB has not included one in any of the Phaseworld books. Considering how much poilitcal intrigue one finds in the three galaxies.

You're 100% Right Sureshot!
Especially since Diplomats, Ambassadors and Even Royal family Members are a Ubiquitous part of thousands of Sci Fi Milieus. particularly sine encountering these guys is a constant part of almost any Sci-Fi involving Military or Exploration themes.
I've been looking for a diplomat OCC for ages and intend to use this one.

Question though, would you use this OCC for a PW Noble, Aristocrat or Head of State Type guy as well?
If not, is there any kind of existing OCC for that type of character (basically a futuristic variant of the PF Noble)?

Can see it working for a head of state. A PW Noble does sound like a good idea. I'm sure plenty of planets have nobles.

Aramanthus
Monk

I can see more races using them then just the royals. They'd be useful for almost any race, culture or powers that be.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

There is always a use for a diplomat. In a setting the size and scale of Phase World the need is tremendous. Now with that OCC you can now play a character who is an homage to Keith Launmer's Retief series.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

It's an interesting enough that it is easily added into the setting and used to it's fullest to play certain type of games.

HH....FIE
Scorpion Leader
Explorer
Comment: "Marines We are Leaving...maybe we should Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Unread post by Scorpion Leader »

Nice job Shawn But what about the skills Barter and/or Space Contacts (in this case political contacts)???
What about having the skill Lore: Galactic/Alien as it is writen it deals with being familar with various common 3G powers races, cultures, and powers and thier laws, history, and customs on at leas laymans terms; rather than legends.
Shawn Merrow

Thanks, hadn't thought about Barter, seems more a fit for the Related skills. As for contacts and Lore: Galactic/Alien it already has both of them.

Scorpion Leader
Explorer
Comment: "Marines We are Leaving...maybe we should Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Shawn another useful skill (and you can read it in the skill discription)for a diplomat would be Perfomance.
Scorpion Leader
Explorer

Braden Campbell wrote:

Thanks for that Branden. That's what I always thought should be used in the absence of the actual GSA OCC until one is offically Publised. Misght I also add that the Free Lance Spy with very minor modifications from Rifts: Mercenaries would also work well.
Shawn Merrow

Scorpion Leader & tristen will look the perform skill over later tonight.

Shawn Merrow

Forgot to say looked it over and still thinking about it.

Scorpion Leader
Explorer

Shawn Merrow wrote:Forgot to say looked it over and still thinking about it.

Cool that is all that can be hope for. The skill may or not fit as an OCC skill, but it is there for consideration.
Scorpion Leader
Explorer

Shawn you should really consider and use the Bater Skill as an OCC skill. Just think of as a skill in Negotiation(s) for teaties and trade etc.
Shawn Merrow

Have thought about and think those skills should not be added to O.C.C. Skills. I don't want it to start to heavy with skills. It will be up to the player if they want to take their character in that direction by picking those skills.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”