Shemarrian-related fan creations

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: Shemarrian-related fan creations

Unread post by taalismn »

DhAkael wrote:
taalismn wrote:
DhAkael wrote:Prelude: The rebirth of the Skull-crushers in the Tri-galactic Group.

The Motavian colony vessel continued through FTL transit. Taking its precious cargo deeper into the 3 galaxies. Taking the founding of a new destiny for the Shemmarian tribes.

Yeah, baby, yeah. Different from how I envisioned it, but still very welcome and going to hardcopy! :ok:

Quite a little folder/netbook building up here. 8)

*bows*
The Hawkmoon were the first VISIBLE tribe to become spaceborne and take to this new frontier.
The Skullcrushers were the first to escape to it.

Meanwhile, the tainted 'Crushers continue to do the will of The Shaper on Gaea, and the civil war continues to gain momentum.

Damn...the SCW went interdimensional....SCARY...
But then we ARE dealing with evil-possessed viral energy entities. :frazz: :shock:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Ah..but Bone-setter and the rest of the sisters (and a few brothers) on the stolen Motavian ark-ship were free of the taint.
The ones left planetside however.

Scene opens up onto the blasted and broken landscape of Silver island, Motavia. Trees and vines lay scattered about like matchsticks and string...
A hand covered in blackend synthflesh tears its way up from the piles of debris; a vile eye-paining purple-black aura surrounding the clawed hand of mega-steel and carbon fiber.
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:Ah..but Bone-setter and the rest of the sisters (and a few brothers) on the stolen Motavian ark-ship were free of the taint.
The ones left planetside however.

Scene opens up onto the blasted and broken landscape of Silver island, Motavia. Trees and vines lay scattered about like matchsticks and string...
A hand covered in blackend synthflesh tears its way up from the piles of debris; a vile eye-paining purple-black aura surrounding the clawed hand of mega-steel and carbon fiber.

ZZzzzoooooommmmbbbiiieeeeeee mooonnnttttttttaaaaaagggggggeeeeeeeee......
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

motavia, huh?

do we have a phantasy star fan in the house, or was that just random? :P
kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

Is there a thread or site with collected info about the civil war? a time line of major events? Archie's thoughts and reactions to this?
I need to go through this whole thread again, anyway, but just wondered if there was a central collection. I have the feeling someone already asked this, or I did and just forgot.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

kronos wrote:Is there a thread or site with collected info about the civil war? a time line of major events? Archie's thoughts and reactions to this?
I need to go through this whole thread again, anyway, but just wondered if there was a central collection. I have the feeling someone already asked this, or I did and just forgot.

Nopes; it just fills in as our twisted minds think stuff up ;)
it's non-linear multi-author story telling :angel:

Leaves of the lotus rise

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Shark_Force wrote:motavia, huh?

do we have a phantasy star fan in the house, or was that just random? :P

I can neither confirm nor deny the information at this time :quiet: :D

Leaves of the lotus rise

kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

DhAkael wrote:
kronos wrote:Is there a thread or site with collected info about the civil war? a time line of major events? Archie's thoughts and reactions to this?

Nopes; it just fills in as our twisted minds think stuff up ;)
it's non-linear multi-author story telling :angel:

Maybe after a bit more background info and someone posts a couple more major events, someone will start piecing together a possible timeline. All I can say is everything that's been posted so far has been top quality! You and Taalismn should try making a world book!
taalismn
Priest

Something to mess you up for the night:

"No, you may NOT attempt Progen with the BOLO!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

taalismn wrote:Something to mess you up for the night:

But it (or he/she) has the soul of an artist! Just look at the pattern of the laser scorch marks! It's a beautiful butterfly! *Shemarrian Berserker caresses the laser cannon of the Bolo lovingly* :twisted:
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

*falls out of chair backwards*
BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

kronos wrote:

But it (or he/she) has the soul of an artist! Just look at the pattern of the laser scorch marks! It's a beautiful butterfly! *Shemarrian Berserker caresses the laser cannon of the Bolo lovingly* :twisted:

Hellbores, kronos, early model BOLOs may have had lasers as main armament, but briefly. A properly armed BOLO mounts Hellbores.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

taalismn wrote:
kronos wrote:

Hellbores, kronos, early model BOLOs may have had lasers as main armament, but briefly. A properly armed BOLO mounts Hellbores.

Ah, well I don't really know much about Bolos except that they are large, heavily armed tanks with full AIs. I need to do more research into them at some point.
taalismn
Priest

kronos wrote:[

Ah, well I don't really know much about Bolos except that they are large, heavily armed tanks with full AIs. I need to do more research into them at some point.

Welcome to a wonderful world of curbstomp, my friend. :wink:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Even the MK3 mounted a 10cm hypervelocity railcannon; capable of imparting enough kinetic energy to level a hillside in one shot and vaporising a platoon of (albiet un armored primitive canibalistic mexican / neo-aztec savages) soldiers.

Then we get into the 30cm to 90 cm range kilotonne to MEGAtonne per second output of the MK XX to MK XXVI Hellbores.
That's NOT including the anti-personell flechette railguns or multi-megawatt ion-bolt infinite repeater secondary batteris, VLS missiles and tactical mortars.

Curbstomp indeed. :D

Heck, even the Skullcrushers would be intimidated.

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:Even the MK3 mounted a 10cm hypervelocity railcannon; capable of imparting enough kinetic energy to level a hillside in one shot and vaporising a platoon of (albiet un armored primitive canibalistic mexican / neo-aztec savages) soldiers.

Then we get into the 30cm to 90 cm range kilotonne to MEGAtonne per second output of the MK XX to MK XXVI Hellbores.
That's NOT including the anti-personell flechette railguns or multi-megawatt ion-bolt infinite repeater secondary batteris, VLS missiles and tactical mortars.

Curbstomp indeed. :D

Heck, even the Skullcrushers would be intimidated.

Or wanting to know where they could get one... :D

Meanwhile...

EShemar EShe-F04‘Arkawing’ Fighter
“THEY GOT INSIDE OUR PERIMETER!!! THEY’RE BEHIND OUR GUNS!!!! THEY’RE GOING AFTER THE TRANSPORTS!!! SYPHON FANGS OF THE PATRIARCH, SLAY THEM BEFORE THEY KILL THE TRANSPORTS!!!”

The Arkawing represents the first wholly NEW fighter design seen among the EShemar of the Shemarrian Star Nation; their previously fielded designs have been recognizable as adaptations of Naruni designs. However, even the Arkawing has roused some controversy as to whether of not it is a uniquely Shemarrian design. The Arkawing bears a close resemblance to a similar design reportedly being tested by newcomer Aegis Stellar Industries(and some techno-historians claim that THAT design bears more than a passing resemblance to the designs of an ancient Terran aircraft designer, Barnes Wallis). Whether the Arkawing is a collaborative design between the two groups, or the Shemarrians stole the concept from ASI, remains unknown.
The Arkawing has a clean, dagger-sharp angular hull design with two sharply swept wings with wingtip engine pods on the ends. The wings are actuated to open up, the engines swiveling to adjust to the new angle, for low-speed atmospheric maneuvering or high-agility space dogfighting. Though each engine pod is less powerful and arguably less durable than one or two larger centrally located engines might be, the combined power of four makes up for it, the distance between the two pairs of engines prevents a single lucky main body strike from crippling the fighter, and the engines themselves are easier to access and replace. Like most Shemarrian fighter designs, the Arkawing cuts crew comforts to the bare bones to save weight and power; since the Shemarrian and NeShemar pilots require little if anything in the way of life support. The Shemarrian pilots can also handle higher acceleration and deceleration stresses without inertial damping, so the ships can be run to far higher performances.
Armor is relatively heavy for a fighter, allowing the ships to take a considerable beating from any weapons fire that makes its way through the high-resistance variable forcefield protection. FInally, armament is decidedly heavy as well, consisting of a mix of pulse lasers, rail guns, and modular missile launchers. The Arkawing is configured as a ‘slash and run’ raider, making quick passes at enemy formations and delivering pin-point missile strikes at targets of opportunity.
The Arkawing first appeared in the flight wings of the SilverMoon Tribe, but examples have since appeared in Hawkmoon units, sporting slightly different engine nacelles.
Type: EShe-F04 Arkawing
Class: Medium Aerospace Fighter
Crew: One
MDC/Armor by Location:
Main Body 560
Reinforced Cockpit 100
Wings(2) 200 each
Engine Pods(4) 140 each
Variable Forcefield 250 each side(900 total)
Height: 10 ft
Width: 30 ft w/ wings fully swept, 72 ft w/ wings fully open
Length: 68 ft w/ wings fully swept, 42 ft w/ wings fully open
Weight: 15 tons
Cargo: Survival pack and sidearms attached to the pilot’s pod.
Powerplant: Nuclear Fusion w/ 20 year energy life
Speed:
(Atmosphere) Hover to Mach 5; transatmospheric.
(Sublight) Mach 19
(Kitsune Values: 45% of light speed; Accelerates/decelerates at 1.9% of light speed per melee)
(FTL) 5 light years per hour
(Underwater) Not possible
Market Cost: Exclusive to the Shemarrian Star Nation
Systems of Note:
Standard Aerospace Fighter Systems, plus:
*Sensor Baffling----The Shemar ships can partially mask their sensor spoor, making themselves difficult to detect at long range. This acts as Stealth(-70% to detect while stationary, -30% when moving)

*EW Jamming---Standard ECM suite for confusing sensor-guided weapons; -6 to strike

*Wings---The wings are fully atmo-capable MAWs(Mission Adapative Wings). +10% to piloting rolls when maneuvering in atmosphere.

*(Optional)---Because of their bionic/psionic nature, EShemar pilots can take the same bonuses as that of the New German Republic’s XML cyborgs(See Rifts: Triax II for details). Otherwise, they can just take the Russian bionic cyberlink bonuses.

Weapons Systems:
1) Paired Pulse Laser Cannons(2)---Mounted fixed-forward in the nose are two pulse lasers.
Range: 1.5 miles in atmosphere, 3 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 3 miles in atmosphere, 300 miles in space)
Damage: 1d4x10 MD single cannon, 2d6x10 MD pulse burst, DOUBLE for both cannons firing simultaneously
Rate of Fire: ECHH
Payload: Effectively Unlimited

2) Rapid-Fire Rail Guns(4)---Mounted fixed-forward in the nose are four rail guns.
Range: 8 miles in atmosphere, 16 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 8 miles in atmosphere, 800 miles in space)
Damage: 2d6x10 MD single cannon shot, 8d6x10 MD for all four cannons firing simultaneously
Payload: 1,000 rds per gun

3) Tail Laser(1)---Meant to discourage tailers, this laser fires in the tail arc.
Range: 1.5 miles in atmosphere, 3 miles in space
Damage: 1d4x10 MD single cannon, 2d6x10 MD pulse burst

4) Missile Launchers(2)---The Arkawing mounts two missile hardpoints, one on each side of the main hull. Each hardpoint can accomodate ONE of the following:
a) Mini-Missiles---24 shot pod per hardpoint
b) Short Range Missiles---6 shot pod per hardpoint
c) Medium Range Missiles---3 shot pod per hardpoint
d) Long Range Missiles---1 per hardpoint
e) Cruise Missiles---1 per hardpoint

Variants:
*EShe-F04Sm---The SilverMoon ‘royal’ edition of the Arkawing features a brilliant gold or silver laser-reflective finish
a) Laser Reflective Armor----Lasers do HALF damage.

*EShe-F04Hm---The Hawkmoon edition mounts additional manuevering thrusters and enhanced agility for finer control and faster responses.
a) Enhanced Maneuvering---Adds an additional +2 to Dodge in both space and atmosphere.
Last edited by taalismn on Fri May 13, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shark_Force
Palladin

taalismn wrote:[snip]
EShemar EShe-F04‘Arkawing’ Fighter[snip]
(Kitsune Values: 45% of light speed; Accelerates/decelerates at 0.0% of light speed per melee)

so, uhhh... you *could* say it takes a while to accelerate to that speed, then? :P
taalismn
Priest

Shark_Force wrote:
taalismn wrote:[snip]
EShemar EShe-F04‘Arkawing’ Fighter[snip]
(Kitsune Values: 45% of light speed; Accelerates/decelerates at 0.0% of light speed per melee)

so, uhhh... you *could* say it takes a while to accelerate to that speed, then? :P

*GGGGGRRRNNNNNNNNNNDDDDD*#Phlak!Klack!CLICK!"%*$&&%$@#!#!!!"*GGGGGRRRNNNNNNNNNNDDDDD*
Mighty Shemarrian Warrior:(breaking down in tears) "AGGHHHH!!! IS IT _BRAKE, THEN CLUTCH, -THEN- SHIFT!??? OR SHIFT, -THEN- CLURCH?!
*WWWAAGGHHHHH!!* I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A STICK!!!!" :frust: :frust: :frust: :cry: :cry:

Fixed...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:"AGGHHHH!!! IS IT _BRAKE, THEN CLUTCH, -THEN- SHIFT!??? OR SHIFT, -THEN- CLURCH?!
*WWWAAGGHHHHH!!* I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A STICK!!!!"

*Refrains from making "woman driver" jokes...knowing that the result would be most likely terminal*

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:
taalismn wrote:"AGGHHHH!!! IS IT _BRAKE, THEN CLUTCH, -THEN- SHIFT!??? OR SHIFT, -THEN- CLURCH?!
*WWWAAGGHHHHH!!* I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A STICK!!!!"

*Refrains from making "woman driver" jokes...knowing that the result would be most likely terminal*

Damn straight...
Safer things you can do, like truck-surf.
Besides, I could tell you horror stories of my learning the stick-shift(they involve a police officer, too!).
It's properly called a 'clutch', but to me it's a 'clurch'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

just to keep this on page one
-bump-

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

Advanced Cultural Notes: Orseme NeShemar

“Hoi!”
“Hoi, Sister Steelbender! How was your trip to Germany? We heard the general report of the expedition, but we want to hear your tale! What was it like?”
“Hah! Ruins and fighting, wilderness and fighting, gargoyles and brodkil, more fighting, more ruins, more gargoyles and brodkil, but at least there was plenty of technology, what I could lay hands on without more fighting! Robots and vehicles; that much was NOT exaggerated!”
“That’s a Tinker for you! As long as there’s tech to be had, the rest is sideshow! We heard you adopted over there, Sister, some new NeShemar? Some German cyborg, perhaps?”
“You’ve heard about Otto, then? More than adoption, but I’ll let you see for yourselves; he’s in the back working right now. Let me introduce you to him! OTTO! “
“...Ja, Mutter?
“Otto, can you come out here and say hello to some people?”
Ich komme, Mutter!
cluph, cluph, cluph, cluph, Cluph, Cluph, Cluph, CLUPH, CLUPH, CLUPH, CLUPH!
“Wast ist los?”
(Private channel)( :eek: #“THAT’S Otto?!”#)
(#”He’s ENORMOUS!”#)
“Otto, say hello to two good friends of mine, Analise Flamespear and Deni Shieldbreaker!”
“Ah! Guten tag, sehr er freut!”
“Otto, please speak English, dear, you’re in America.”
“Hoopla! Es tut mir--I mean, I’m sorry, Mother! How’s this?”
“Much better, Otto.”
”Hah-hah! Hello, good day, ladies, I’m pleased to meet you both!”
“Ah, likewise.”
“Pleasure to meet you...”
“Otto, dear, if you’re not too busy, could you go over to Hammerhand’s compound later and pick up the new axles for Grimmin Rocklifter’s salvage truck? Grimmin told me they’re ready!”
“Kein problem! I mean, no problem! I’m just about finished up working on Squad Leader Roma’s hoverbarge--”
“Finish that up first. No hurry there. Now be off with you, boy!”
“All right, Mutter!”
CLUPH, CLUPH, CLUPH, Cluph, Cluph, Cluph, cluph, cluph, cluph, cluph!
“Such a GOOD boy, Otto! He’s so helpful, working on the vehicles like that! Well, what do you girls think?”
“Errr...he’s such a BIG boy...”
“He’s...WIDE....Was that a MOUTH up there? He must eat like a...”(hands go wide)
”Oh, he doesn’t eat THAT much; he’s still got room in him for storage, but he’s still a work in progress. He’s got room to grow. Once I finish balancing them, I’ll give him gravity thrusters for his Upgrade.”
“Gravity thrusters?”
“Not very fast or powerful, just enough to let him keep up with his big brother.”
:shock: ....BIG BROTHER?.... :shock:

The Spinster/Tinkers of the NeShemar are always creating new artificial lifeforms, a tradition that was established during the early days of the Shemarrian Civil War, when the rebel Ecotroz Shemar were seeking to bolster their numbers of warriors and warmounts, in the days before Progen became widespread. As much priority was given to modifying existing robots and other equipment to Shemarrian specs as was to repairing older equipment. Rebel Tinkers, honing their creativity and skills, turned out dozens, if not hundreds, of prototype ‘Enimals’, and to an lesser extent, NeShemar cyborg frames, many of them one-offs, before final models were approved for mass production in the Assembler Forges that were spreading ahead of the Progen technology. Similarly, the Ecotroz were becoming more profficient at diversifying/spreading into a wider variety of robot forms, forming a larger and more diverse ‘electronic ecology’ or cyber ‘gene pool’.
Even when Progen tecchnology became more widely available, experimentation continued, especially on animal-form Ecotroz Enimals, as the Tinkers sought to create a diverse array of new weapons and beasts of utility to the new Nation. Experimentation and the creation of SENTIENT robots was much more restrained, however. Though the spreading of the Ecotroz Awakening had added the R’Mar and a number of other former robots to the ranks of the NeShemar beholding to the EShemar, the EShemar prefered to increase their numbers via Progen, the Awakening of enslaved Shemarrians, and the addition of cyborg NeShemar. The creation of the so-called ‘Myrmidons’(low-intelligence Ecotroz born of the conversion of robotic drones, especially from the bite of EShemar Wolves*), didn’t sit entirely well with the NeShemar Elders, who feared it smacked uncomfortably of the very slavery they’d rebelled against. There was also a matter of some bias in favor of converting more humanoid and sophisticated robots; the Ecotroz tending to favor quality over quantity in this respect. So wholesale conversion of robots, espeically mass-production types like the Coalition’s Skelebots or Triax’s Dynabots, was frowned on. Likewise, the creation of sentient Awakened robots for wholly utilitarian or amusement purposes.
Still, the temptation was there, especially for younger or less experienced Tinkers with access to salvage, an Assembler Forge, and a desire to test something out or prove something. More than a few Tinkers have gone beyond simply programming a new robo-animal and granting it an animal psych-mind, and tried their hand at creating, then Awakening, more personable and intelligent psi-bots. Such have included modifications of existing stock robots, power armor, and robot vehicles, though there have been a few true chimeras made up of various parts.
These psuedo NeShemar have come to be known as ‘Orseme’, Original Sentient Mechanisms.
EShemar Elders tend to frown on the unauthorized creation of Orseme(since it harkens to the creation of Myrmidons), owing to the (fortunately as-yet-unrealized) potential that such experiments might create genuine monsters. Penalties for creating Orseme can be hard, especially when Tribe resources are scant, and can result in the Tinker in question being denied access to further Tribe resources, and assigned ‘minders’, or even forced to accept retraining under a more responsible Tinker, a loss of status and personal leeway that can be damning for a Tinker. More often than not, a Tinker responsible for creating an Orseme is assigned the task of parenting the new intelligence and making sure the Awakened psi-bot is properly introduced into EShemar society. In most cases, this isn’t a problem, as the Tinkers happily take responsibility for their ‘kids’, but in a few extreme cases, the young Orseme may become a ward of the Tribe, and fostered to other Tribe members.
Orseme are considered to be NeShemar, and every effort is made to fit them into the NeShemar sub-culture. However, this can be difficult at times, especially when a seven ton eight-legged psi-bot tries hanging out with its friends at a local township or decides to go courting. Most Orseme get along just fine in EShemar society, finding some niche to call their own, but it is rumored that the more disenchanted psi-bots have gravitated towards their own subculture, contributing to the rumors of a ‘Monster Tribe’ or the so-called ‘Shadowblades’.

*A spate of ‘robo-werewolf-ish’ was said to have afflicted numbers of Skelebots and and labor robots in the wake of reports of Shemarrian Wolves in Eastern North America, leading to abnormal behavior, inexplicable malfunctions, and even wholesale disappearances of the robot drones. Coalition soldiers operating in the East typically destroyed malfunctioning Skelebots in the wake of Wolf attacks as a field expedient.

Otto Steelbender--Darkwater Orseme NeShemar
Otto Steelbender is a modified Triax X-700 ‘Fat Boy’ Glitterboy power armor. How Sister Margo Steelbender of the Darkwaters got ahold of an intact X-700 and got it out of Germany, she refuses to say. Before Awakening Otto, she outfitted the Glitterboy hull with a full nervous-system set of ‘tactile’ sensors woven throughout the frame and skin, installed a Robot AI inside it, and made some other additions to give the hulking warmachine some additional utility and flexibility, then infused the resulting robot with the Ecotroz.
Otto has an Awakened Robotic AI, programmed with the Basic Military Combat Skill Program, Military Mechanical, General Labor, and Specialized Heavy Labor(his Ecotroz essence takes care of Human Emulation). As an Ecotroz Intelligence-fusion, he has the basic range of Ecotroz psionic abilities(and vulnerabilities), as well as the ability to learn secondary skills with time and experience.
Otto is fully intact and functional with regards to the full suite of X-700 systems, except for having only 900 MDC(as opposed to a full 980 MDC), but he also has a Bionic Cybernanite Repair System (repairs 4d6 MD per hour, and can repair 100 MDC before needing material stocks to convert to MD repair material) and a mouth/psuedo-digestive system to feed it. He also has a pair of smaller utility sub/tool-hands that emerge from the inside of his wrists, allowing him to perform fine work or reach into small spaces where his larger paws simply can’t fit. His crew compartment has become smaller and modified into an internal carrying pouch; a child or small woman could still fit inside(once the tools and other gear have been removed first) in an emergency, but not a larger(5’7” or larger) person. His heavy weight and large size, as well as short stubby legs, make it difficult for him to run very fast or fit atop of a Warmount for quick transport; for now he relies on piloting a large hoverplatform(modified hovertruck) to get around quickly and keep up with the Tribe.
Otto comes across as a shy, nerdish, Germanic kid who is trying to fit into a strange new society and not appear too buffoonish in the process(he still has a tendency to lapse into Old German or Euro when speaking). He’s most comfortable tinkering with machinery, helping his ‘Mutter’ with her work(especially working on large vehicles and reverse-engineering Triax technology), but he also does like to watch people, especially pretty (cyborg) girls(he’ll look, but not touch) in his free time, and is making friends with other young NeShemar and Progen Shemar. If and when the Tribe comes under attack, however, Otto loses that shyness in favor of full-blown adopted Teutonic fury, proving he’s as adept at using his double-barrel Boom Gun as he is with a wrench. Otto’s contribution of pinpoint artillery in support of the Tribe on several occasions has earned him acceptance among Sister Steelbender’s fellow Tribeswomen, especially those who were initially disapproving and critical of the bulky Orseme NeShemar.
Margo Steelbender dotes on her “adopted” Germanic child with maternal affection and not more than a little engineer’s pride at how her experiment turned out.
Last edited by taalismn on Wed May 18, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Oh this is rich. *giggle*
I approve whole heartedly...
Also, it should be mentioned that though Hope Brightlance has gone into an alternate time-line Rifts Earth ( around PA 100 as opposed to the 'present' PA 109 ), she is still progen birthed EctrozShemarr. And her introduction to her new 'clan' (re; the team of PC's) has hit a BIT of a snag. There's a sentient robot already who is part of the group...and the urge to "awaken him / it" is very very VERY strong.

Quote Hope; "Stormglider? I seem to have a problem. Goodbones said nothing about these...-ahem- URGES I feel when I'm around the unit they call 'Lampshade'. Is this normal? It is nothing like what I feel when I am with Vansent; it is something more PRIMAL."

Stormglider (in very dry, almost britsh accentend mind-speach); "I would not know mistress Brightlance. I am only a male, and a Steel-Phoenix at that. The mysteries of the warrior caste & females are unknown to me."

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:Oh this is rich. *giggle*
I approve whole heartedly..."[/color]

Yeah, I took your line, against the concept of Myrmidons, about how the Ecotroz was more discriminating and expanded on it a bit...plus the idea of the perhaps less-discriminating Wolves setting off 'robo-lycanthrope'(in the sense of turning dumb skelebots and drones into something else)...and it bled into the posts about the Shadowblades and a Tribe of monstrous-looking Shemarrians.... :D

Of course, now I'm getting an image in my mind of 'Otto' in leiderhosen... :shock:
Maybe a little tufted hat.

Now if only I could figure a way to have Otto do a shoutout to 'Freefall', throwing his arms wide and yelling "DOGGIE!!!"
Or worse..."HUGGIES!!!!" :shock: :shock: :shock:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

This should either be stickied or some OTHER peoples should stop wasting time on moot debates ( :badbad: :thwak: ) and put some creativity into some of the threads...like this one :D

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:This should either be stickied or some OTHER peoples should stop wasting time on moot debates ( :badbad: :thwak: ) and put some creativity into some of the threads...like this one :D

Please; we can't all be hyperactive productivity-obsessed flaming egomaniacs or manic-depressives(though I admit that some debates should be non-starters and others would do well to be assigned to a 'no response unless paid forward with a contribution' penalty) :P .
But to justify it, I'll have some more material up this evening, or, if thunderstorms interfere, by tomorrow.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

EShemar Wayfinder ‘Delphin’ Scout Sloop
“They’re almost jewel-like, those ships...like an exquisite sea creature...and just as fast. Startle them or threaten them, and FLASH! They’re gone!”

“This is Captain Lieece Sunrunner of the SSN Explorer Corram to Exile vessels. Again, I repeat; the vessel you are approaching has already been claimed by the Shemarrian Star Nation! Power down your weapons and withdraw at once! You have been warned!”
The three large teardrop-shaped Exile cruisers did not slow in their descent upon the miles-long alien derelict embedded in the asteroid below, ignoring the smaller Shemarrian vessel that hovered nearby.
The communications channel crackled to life.
#”-and we say again, we do not recognize the claims of thieves plundering the heritage of our people! You have one centi-unit to skedaddle back where you came from and leave us alone! And as for your ‘claim’, well, that party of graverobbers you claim to have put aboard will be treated as such! We’ll send you whatever’s left of them after their trial for trespass and desecration of sacred artifacts-!”#
“SSN Explorer Corram to Exile vessels; that derelict is NOT an Exile craft; that has been verified by our exploration team! Your claim is invalid, and your actions inexcusable! Withdraw at once, or you will find there are other reasons your claim will not hold-”
#” ’Other reasons’? You mean to make a fight of it? Three against one with OUR advantage in firepower? Go ahead; battlefield salvage is as much our right too, and what’s left of you will be a nice bonus for today’s work! You presume too much, Shemarrian; you’re all alone out here and your reasons don’t hold any threat. What other reasons could we possibly have for giving up our claim?”#
As if on cue, three other sensor contacts appeared just over the horizon of the asteroid; sharp-finned bejewelled shapes similar in appearance to the Shemarrian Explorer, sensors and weapons already locked onto the Exile ships.
“Those reasons being The Wonderful Things of Punt, Nathaniel Bowditch, and the Olduvai Gorge. You now have two centi-units to withdraw your vessels and leave our claim alone...or else, we too will have a bonus for today’s work. Corram out!”

The Wayfinders are the scouts and explorers of the Shemarrian Star Nation, as well as their greatest magic-users. While they use the full range of Shemarrian starships, their particular proclivities have led them to devise specialized vessels uniquely suited to their roles as adventurers and ambassadors. The ‘Delphin’ is one such vessel design, developed by the Wayfinders with the assistance of the Darkwater Tribe.
The Delphin-class appears to be based on the TGE Berserker, and can sometimes be mistaken for one on long range scans(when the Shemarrians allow it to be seen, that is), but has been heavily revamped to better serve as a scout and small exploration vehicle. Shemarrians being more efficient and having less need for life support, the crew requirements have been reduced. The cruise missile launchers have been removed in the nose to make way for additional laboratory, cargo and sensor space. The engineering section has enlarged for a more powerful engine and larger powerplant, allowing for much higher speed and more power available for shields. The Delphin is also capable of limited atmospheric operations. The sharp orca-like fins of the Berserker have been replaced with long range sensory arrays that open up like sails to present larger scan surface for greater accuracy. The hull has also been reconfigured with stealth in mind, enjoying Shemarrian expertise in passive stealth design, as well as using TW techniques copied from the Splugorth. The lateral laser mounts have been replaced with modular weapons pods, allowing the sloop’s weapons configuration to be altered to crew preferences and mission needs, and the point defense systems have been replaced with Shemarrian equivalents. Finally, after the hulls have been delivered by the Darkwaters, the Wayfinders install a crystal matrix PPE generator, TW enhancements, and powerful suite of mystic sensors and defensive systems(the ability of the Delphin to generate fields of intense solar glare, solar flares, and nebulas in the path of pursuers has earned the ships the nickname of ‘Stinkbug’ among some opposition forces).
The resulting vessel is a compact, extremely fast, and shockingly agile starship. Though not particularly well-armed in its baseline configuration, the Delphin relies more on speed and stealth to avoid confrontations, the better to make sure that its information is returned to the Shemarrian Star Nation. However, it isn’t entirely fair to compare the Delphin to the Berserker on the basis of firepower; the TGE vessels are meant as relatively inexpensive mass-produced torpedo raiders, while the Delphin is a more more crafted vessel with more attention to a broader spectrum of systems. The Delphins are fully combat capable and, when crewed by experienced crews and high-powered mages, the Wayfinders’ ‘mosquito fleet’ has proven more than up to the task of savaging the Tribe’s(and the Star Nation’s) enemies. Even if not in the forefront of fighting, Delphins have been known to lead squadrons of other ships through previously thought impassable nebulae, plasma storms, gravitic hazards, asteroid belts, and orbital defense fields.
Delphin-class scout sloops can usually be found in the forefront of any Wayfinder exploration effort, the small ships and their courageous crews adventuring into the unknown, looking in the mysterious places for knowledge. Delphin crews often have a good-natured rivalry with the crews of Shem-Rahn Winged Justice Scouts, the respective crews racing each other to discover some new wonder or reach some previously unexplored system. With Wayfinder Pathfinders at the helm, these tough and capable little ships are undertaking some epic journeys of exploration across the Three Galaxies and beyond.
The Wayfinders have a notable tradition of naming their vessels for exotic locales(Serengeti, McMurdo Sound), , trade routes(Silk Road, Gulf Stream, NorthWest Passage), geophysical features(Everest, Laurentian Abyss), merchantmen, navigators, and other names associated with travel, exploration, and knowledge(Madame Curie, Florence Barnes, Auguste Picard, Sacagawea), much to the bemusement of trivia-minded scholars.

Type: ESheMar-FG07Wf Delphin
Class: Long Range Scout Frigate
Crew: 64.
Up to 10 passengers can be carried normally, but onboard accommodations are spartan. Additional passengers(up to 20) can be carried, but conditions are cramped, and unless the passengers are able to handle extreme cold and thin air, they’ll need supplemental life support(spacesuits or magical systems) or travel in stasis(as cargo).
MDC/Armor by Location:
Main Body 3,500
Bridge 1,500
Upper Sensory Array 1,300
Lower Secondary Sensory Arrays(4) 600 each
Forward Optical Array 860
Lateral Weapons Pods(2) 760 each
Long Range Missile/Probe Racks(2) 400 each
Point Defense Turrets(8) 100 each
Variable Forcefield 1,400 each side, 8,400 total
Height: 104 ft. At full extension, the lower sensor booms add an additional 50 ft.
Width: 65 ft
Length: 330 ft
Weight: 7,400 tons
Cargo: Small 20x30x40 ft cargo bay.
Additional external cargo pods can be attached ventrally(up to 3,000 tons) but reduce speed by 30%(ship’s so accoutered are sometimes refered to as ‘caravals’ among the Shemarrians)
Powerplant: Nuclear Fusion w/ 40 year energy life
Supplemental PPE Generator w/2,000 PPE capacity. Recharges at 500 PPE/hour
Speed:
(Atmosphere) Hover to Mach 3; transatmospheric.
(Sublight) Mach 21
(Kitsune Values: 60% of light speed; Accelerates/decelerates at 2.1% of light speed per melee)
(FTL) 6 light years per hour
(Underwater) Not possible
Bonus: Thanks to the close-knit cyberconnections of its crew, the Delphin enjoys a virtually unheard of +1 to dodge in starship combat!
Market Cost: Exclusive to the Shemarrian Star Nation
Systems of Note:
Standard Starship Systems, plus:
*Sensor Baffling----The Shemar ships can partially mask their sensor spoor, making themselves difficult to detect at long range. This acts as Stealth(-80% to detect while stationary, -40% when moving)

*Long Range Sensors---Extreme range of 9 million miles.

*Long Range Astrometric Sensors---These sensors are the equivalent of a military early warning array(something that has military authorities quite vexed) though they’re somewhat slower at detecting small targets like military craft(takes three times as long) due to their being calibrated for stellar phenomenoa. However, the arrays can still pick up the FTL fingerprint of starships travelling up to 32 light years away, and can detect the gravity wells of planets and planetoids(of down to Plutonian size) up to 40 light years away within minutes of scanning(rather than days of observation). Can also measure solar flux from as far away as 15 light years away.
Other sensors in this group include radio astronomy, gravimetric charting, quantum particle detectors, and space/time flux registers. Additional instruments may be ‘plugged in’ as needed/developed.

*Long Range GeoPlanetary Sensors---These sensors allow extensive surveying of planetary bodies in detail before physical probes and manned excursions are ever sent down. Advanced radiation sensors, spectrographic analysis systems, active gravitic beam probes, and tunneling neutrino scanners allow the ship to perform extensive atmospheric and geological mapping within minutes.....Subterranean strata and mineral deposits can be accurately charted from 1,000 miles altitude, though complete and thorough geographic/seismic surveying takes longer, ideally with the deployment of a network of geoscisats. Sensors include techno-sensors attuned to detecting fission and fusion powerplants, radio-frequency transmissions, concentrations of processed materials(such as optical fibers, plastics, and refined metals), and industrial gases/pollutants. PPE sensors detect and determine ambient PPE/magical activity, as well as the presence and location of leylines. Biological sensors study biological byproducts, chemicals associated with the presence of life.

*Dimensional Flux Shielding---The large ‘vanes’ produce a powerful space/time ‘anchor’ that shields the ship and its crew from external space/time flux...In a way, this is a technological equiavlent of an Astral or Spacial Mage’s feat of creating an Astral/Spacial Realm, only much cruder and limited(the crew cannot change the laws of physics within the field to suit their needs/desires.....though supposedly research is looking into that promising aspect of the technology). This also means that it is nearly impossible for magical or dimensional teleports to happen inside the ship while the vanes are in operation.
This also means that the ship enjoys a +15% to piloting rolls to manuever to break out of gravitational and dimensional storms and other phenomena. Damage associated with ley line storms, dimensional vortexes, and Rift Cannon are reduced by 75%.
Magic Sensors:(Courtesy of Kitsune)
• See Aura: Slightly different than the spell in that it can scan an entire target such as a ship or station. The enchantment can be used to target a single individual but only have one tenth normal range when being used in that matter. Costs 60 P.P.E. per activation due to extended range. Range: 1,000 miles (1,610 kilometers) in space and 1 mile (1.6 kilometers) in an atmosphere. Effects / Abilities: Gives an approximate count of the number of life forms onboard. Gives the average level of experience, highest level of experience, and lowest level of experience [Given in these terms: Low (1-3), medium (4-7), high (8th and up).] Tells if there is any magic onboard. Gives if there are any psychics onboard (Mind Block will prevent detection), Gives a general count on the amount of P.P.E. the target has (basically the P.P.E. of the crew and any devices which store P.P.E.). Detects if there is any kind of possession. Finally sees if the crew or ship has any unusual aberrations.
• See the Invisible Sensors: The ships has several special optical and other sensor systems with see the invisible on them. Same as spell and used at will (requires no P.P.E. to activate). Range: 2,000 miles (3,220 kilometers) in space and 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere. Effects / Abilities: Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
• Sense Magic: The ship has sensors which the give the ability to detect active magic. Similar to spell and used at will (requires no P.P.E. to activate). Range: 200,000 miles (322,000 kilometers) in space and 200 miles (320 km) in an atmosphere. Effects / Abilities: detects the presence of magic if within detection range of ship and gives bearing on magic and basic range although not exact position. Detects active enchantments but will not generally detect spell casters in general.
• Sense Rifts: Ship has sensors which effectively allow Rifts to be detected. The system can be (requires no P.P.E. to activate). Range: 500,000 miles (805,000 kilometers) in space and 500 miles (805 km) in an atmosphere. Effects / Abilities: Detects the presence of Rifts (including those created by Rifts Drives) and unlike when detecting magic gives position very accurately.

Magic Systems:
Depending on the individual vessel and crew composition, the exact TW systems may vary, but the following are the standard/more commonly installed systems:
*LeyLine Speed Doubler(40 PPE)

*Magic Space Tether(11 PPE, 30 minutes, 200 ft. 130,000 tons)

*Impervious to Energy(160 PPE)

*Invisibility: Superior(160 PPE)

*Star Light(23 PPE, lasts 10 minutes and covers a 2,000 ft area)

*Triangulated Teleportation (80 PPE, 1 million miles)---This spell system is used in conjunction with a beacon at the point of arrival(typically a beacon deployed aboard an LRM probe or by other Away teams. To reverse it, the ship must drop its Flux shielding to recover Teleported crew).

*Hull Regeneration(1,440 PPE, limit of 30% of the hull. Repairs are Permanent)

*Solar Flare(250 PPE, lasats 1d6+5 hours, range of 1,200 miles)

*Create Nebula(500 PPE, lasts 10 hours, 20 mile range, covers a 50 mile wide area)

*Nexus Space Warp(380 PPE)

Weapons Systems:
1) Modular Lateral Weapons Pods(2)--In place of the Berserker’s ‘horn cannon’, the Delphin mounts two modular weapons pods. These allow the ship to be quickly refitted for specific missions, updates, and to obscure the specific capabilities of the class.
a) Long Range Heavy Lasers(1 per pod)---These lasers are actually an improvement over the original TGE weapons, as they are acquired from the Silvermoon Tribe, the expert optical engineers of the SSN.
Range: 10 miles in atmosphere, 20 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 20 miles in atmosphere, 20,000 miles in space)
Damage: 1d6x100+160 MD single blast
Rate of Fire: Twice per melee

b) Light Laser Cluster(3 per pod)---Replaces the heavy lasers with a cluster of lower-powered, but faster recharging and firing,light lasers
Range: 5 miles in atmosphere, 10 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 10 miles in atmosphere, 10,000 miles in space)
Damage: 6d6x10 MD per barrel, 2d6x100 MD for all three cannons firing simultaneously
Rate of Fire: EGCHH

c) Seige Disruptors(1 per pod)---Adapted from Golgan designs
Range: 5 miles in atmosphere, 14 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 14 miles in atmosphere, 14,000 miles in space)
Damage: 2d4x100 MD per single blast at point of impact, plus 25% damage to a 30 ft radius
Rate of Fire: Twice per melee

d) Particle Beam Cannon(1 per pod)
Range: 4 miles in atmosphere, 8 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 8 miles in atmosphere, 8,000 miles in space)
Damage: 2d6x100 MD per blast
Rate of Fire: Three shots per melee

e) Tachyon Scatter Cannons(1 per pod)
Range: 5 miles in atmosphere, 10 miles in space w/ 4 mile wide arc
(Kitsune Values: 10 miles in atmosphere, 10,000 miles in space w/ 12 mile wide arc)
Reduce arc size in atmosphere to 1/4
Damage: 1d4x100 MD per single cannon firing
Rate of Fire: EPCHH
Payload:Effectively Unlimited

f) Plasma Torpedo Launchers( 1 three-shot launcher per pod)
These unusual weapons fire volleys of plasma bolts like missiles, and are even able to ‘curve’(up to 90 degrees) the shots somewhat to skip around ships and obstacles to envelope a target, but this control seems ballistic in nature, rather than active control(though there is evidence that the Shemar are able to actively direct the bolts within tractor beam range). The bolts themselves seem to have been endowed with a weak magnetic field that contains the plasma in a tight’packet’, allowing the plasma to travel farther without losing cohesion and damage potential, and allowing the plasma to explode with area of effect on target. The result is an energy missile with superior range to normal energy weapons(though still well short of comparable missile weaponry) and potentially unlimited payload. However, the plasma packets CAN be grabbed/deflected by tractor beams(likely how the EShemar manipulate their energy projectiles at short range and correct their course), or destabilized by ion or particle beam weapons fire(takes 20 MDC to disrupt the plasma containment).
Range: 25 miles in atmosphere, 100 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 100 miles in atmosphere, 100,000 miles in space)
Damage: 2d4x100 MD to a 100 ft blast radius per missile
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1-3 plasma bolts each array, once per melee.

g) Long Range Missile Launchers(1 per pod)
Range: Varies by Missile Type (Long Range)
(Kitsune Values: 3,400 miles in atmosphere, 1,800,000 miles in space)
Damage:Varies by Missile Type
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1-10
Payload: 40 missiles per pod ready to launch

h) Cruise Missile Launchers (1 per pod)
Range:Varies by Missile Type
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1-8
Payload: 32 each launcher, 64 total; additional missiles may be carried and loaded from cargo, but will take at least 30 minutes(1 ton of cargo per 6 missiles)

i) TW Ion Storm Cannon---This is a TW Projection System that carries its own PPE generator (800 PPE battery capacity; recharges at 30 PPE per hour, 90 PPE/hour at a leyline, 180 PPE/hour on a nexus). It can summon up to a Magnitude 5 ion storm at a cost of 250 PPE. Effective Range of 10 miles(Palladium)(Kitsune: 10,000 miles)

j) TW Meteor Storm Cannon---This is a TW Projection System that carries its own PPE generator (800 PPE battery capacity; recharges at 30 PPE per hour, 90 PPE/hour at a leyline, 180 PPE/hour on a nexus). Costs 150 PPE for a Type One shower, 175 PPE for a
Type Two, 200 PPE for a Type Three, 225 PPE for a Type Four, and 250 PPE for a Type Five. Showers last 10 minutes. Additional PPE may be routed from the ship’s own PPE reserves. Effective Range of 3 miles(Palladium)(Kitsune: 3,000 miles)

k) Long Range Jamming Pod---A powerful EW suite that effectively blanket-jams enemy communications and command-directed munitions with 80% effectiveness, Civilian-band communications are 98% jammed, while military communications bands suffer 80% degradation in effectiveness. Radar systems are similarly degraded....they can pick up the emissions, but cannot pinpoint the exact location of the source within the area of disruption. Area of effect: 600 mile radius in atmosphere, 60,000 mile radius in space.

2) Long Range Missile/Probe Racks(2)---Two external pods can be used to deploy long range probes or long range missiles.
Range: Varies by Missile Type (Long Range)
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1-10
Payload: 40 missiles per pod ready to launch, 80 total

3) Point Defense Turrets(8)---Standard Shemarrian-pattern rail gun/pulse laser combination in a common turret.
Range: (Rail Gun) 2 miles in atmosphere, 4 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 4 miles in atmosphere, 400 miles in space)
(Laser) 1 mile in atmosphere, 3 miles in space
Damage: (Rail Gun)4D6x10 M.D. per blast
(Laser) 3D6x10 M.D. per blast
Rate of Fire: (Rail Gun)EGCHH(4-6)
(Laser) EGCHH (4-6)
Payload: (Rail Gun) 2,000 rd drum. Additional ammunition can be stored as cargo, but will take 45 minutes to reload from stores.
(Laser) Effectively Unlimited

Auxiliary Craft: None standard, but up to TWO large shuttles or Scarab Battle Landers can be carried externally. The large airlock also has provision for up to 10 medium-sized(Monstrex-sized) Warmounts.

Variants:
*ESheMar-FG07Wf-B---A modified version with both a conventional contragravity drive AND a Rift Drive(capable of 20-light year jumps every 4 hours. It’s been rumored that the Wayfinders have also tinkered with the drives to perform extradimensional jumps.

*EShe-FG07Dw ---Though the Delphin has been seen mainly with the Wayfinders, the Darkwaters have been rumored to retain a few hulls for their own use. The Darkwater version would differ mainly from the Wayfinder ships in lacking the PPE generator and magic systems, substituting additional avionics or weaponry in their place.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Not bad...not bad at all. I'd have gone a different way but *shrug* this suits the TW Shemarr quite well. :ok:

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:Not bad...not bad at all. I'd have gone a different way but *shrug* this suits the TW Shemarr quite well. :ok:

Yah know, they have more than one type of ship in their fleet, don't cha? ;)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:Yah know, they have more than one type of ship in their fleet, don't cha? ;)

(In Matt Smith as Doctor voice) "Working on it. It's a thing, a thing in progress. Respect the thing."

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:
taalismn wrote:Yah know, they have more than one type of ship in their fleet, don't cha? ;)

(In Matt Smith as Doctor voice) "Working on it. It's a thing, a thing in progress. Respect the thing."

"What thing?"
"The thing."
"THIS thing?"
"No, I said THE thing!"
"You mean THIS thing?"
"No, I already said not THIS thing. It's not THAT thing either."
"So what thing are we talking about?"
"Just don't say any thing."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

So...sea-life based hulls huh? *Thinkers pose*
Ah hah! *slow, evil grin* :demon: fair enough; will still be in keeping with the "non-agressive" design... but I think I have the Wayfinder's next hull.
And it even ties in with already established material (well, material in another thread but HEY!...) :D

Leaves of the lotus rise

kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

So we'll be seeing things based on lionfish or swordfish designs? what about sea serpents for Sapphire Cobras? Lizard design robots?
taalismn
Priest

kronos wrote:So we'll be seeing things based on lionfish or swordfish designs? what about sea serpents for Sapphire Cobras? Lizard design robots?

I've got a Sapphire Cobra design already in the works(even working on an illo for it)...and I've been looking at primitive(or at least prehistoric) fish for design inspirations...The ostracoderms, in particular, have some fish bodyforms that look more like alien spacecraft than living critters...and it helped that my father had me researching them so he could do some wooden models of them for a friend.
The Shemarrians are also into stealing (at least initially) designs from enemies like the Splugorth, which helps lend credence to the popular rumor that they're an ex-Splugorth slave race that freed themselves and are no looking to settle a score with their former masters. However, the Shemarrians are also not above 'borrowing' technologies from the Golgans, TGE, and others(and sometimes they even pay their unintentional benefactors back by protecting their ships/worlds, or at least not shooting them up).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

taalismn wrote:
kronos wrote:So we'll be seeing things based on lionfish or swordfish designs? what about sea serpents for Sapphire Cobras? Lizard design robots?

I've got a Sapphire Cobra design already in the works(even working on an illo for it)...and I've been looking at primitive(or at least prehistoric) fish for design inspirations...The ostracoderms, in particular, have some fish bodyforms that look more like alien spacecraft than living critters...and it helped that my father had me researching them so he could do some wooden models of them for a friend.
The Shemarrians are also into stealing (at least initially) designs from enemies like the Splugorth, which helps lend credence to the popular rumor that they're an ex-Splugorth slave race that freed themselves and are no looking to settle a score with their former masters. However, the Shemarrians are also not above 'borrowing' technologies from the Golgans, TGE, and others(and sometimes they even pay their unintentional benefactors back by protecting their ships/worlds, or at least not shooting them up).

What about insects as a model for inspiration?
taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:So...sea-life based hulls huh? *Thinkers pose*
Ah hah! *slow, evil grin* :demon: fair enough; will still be in keeping with the "non-agressive" design... but I think I have the Wayfinder's next hull.
And it even ties in with already established material (well, material in another thread but HEY!...) :D

'Non-aggressive'? Well, bear in mind the Wayfinders went to the Darkwaters for the Delphin, so the Wayfinders would insist on a given degree of 'aggressiveness' in the design...just in case they ran into Splugorth the back of nowhere.
(incidentally, I also drew inspiration from Chinook Indian totem plaques of orcas and whales, and was a little upset that there is no specific Chinook word for 'dolphin', only 'whale'....however, I mean to keep that in mind as a name for any larger Wayfinder vessels...it would make sense, given the Wayfinders' 'homeland' in the American NorthWest to draw names and ideas from the rich folklore there).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

kronos wrote:[

Currently I don't see any of the Tribes using insects as an inspiration for starships...Warmounts and smaller vehicles(Like the Scarab Assault Shuttle), yes, but not starships. The big shipbuilders among the Tribes of the Shemarrian Star Nation are the Darkwaters, Hawkmoons, and Silvermoons. The Darkwaters have the 'fish' thing going, the Hawkmoons like avian and dragon designs, the Silvermoons 'standardized' designs of mixed Darkwater/Splugorth design heritage(with lots of chroming). The Sapphire Cobras are building a few specialized designs of their own, with a reptile theme going(expect snakes, sea serpents. sea tortoises, and dragons) with the proceeds from their expanding cult, and the Skullcrushers are building a few big, bad, blunt-ugly battleships(with Darkwater assistance). The Wayfinders build their own specialized ships piecemeal like research institutes would acquire oceanographic vessels, modify existing stuff they get from other sources, or use modified versions of the standardized stuff the Darkwaters and Silvermoons build.
The Horrorwoods, Wolf Riders, and Blood Riders do some building of their own, but it's smaller ships, nothing bigger than a medium transport or a corvette, acquiring their larger ships from the space-based Tribes.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shark_Force
Palladin

kronos wrote:
taalismn wrote:

starting to sound like spelljammer here (not that i have a problem with that ^^ )
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Blame the damn dirty apes for starting it ;)

Leaves of the lotus rise

Shark_Force
Palladin

DhAkael wrote:Blame the damn dirty apes for starting it ;)

that's just silly. the grommam had nothing to do with it :D

(well, maybe the hadozee though... i understand they're swiped from another setting somewhere :P )
taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:Blame the damn dirty apes for starting it ;)

"Who you callin' an ape, monkey-boy?!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Latest project is moving slowly, but surely towards completion.
-hic-
Half a bottle of wine though and my muse decided to swan dive into her absinthe bottle again to keep me company.
Whoops. :oops: :frust:

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:Latest project is moving slowly, but surely towards completion.
-hic-
Half a bottle of wine though and my muse decided to swan dive into her absinthe bottle again to keep me company.

Because alcohol's a DEPRESSANT!!!!!! YOU. DO. NOT. DEPRESS. YOUR. MUSE!
Those who tell you that suffering yields great art are flapping their gums to justify neglect of personal hygiene.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:
DhAkael wrote:Latest project is moving slowly, but surely towards completion.
-hic-

Because alcohol's a DEPRESSANT!!!!!! YOU. DO. NOT. DEPRESS. YOUR. MUSE!
Those who tell you that suffering yields great art are flapping their gums to justify neglect of personal hygiene.

No foolin' ;)
I don't listen to those arm-chair artsies. I tell 'em if art was meant to hurt, they'd have put barbed wire on the paint-brushes :angel:

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:[
No foolin' ;)
I don't listen to those arm-chair artsies. I tell 'em if art was meant to hurt, they'd have put barbed wire on the paint-brushes :angel:

Or release hungry wolves into the orchestra pit.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Meanwhile, over in the 3 galaxies.

Valis Starseeker; "Matriarch? I have found the beacon. It is faint, but it IS the prototype."

Magister Polyanna; -sigh- "How many times have I told you Ensign Starseeker; I'm a Magister, NOT matriarch."

V.S.; "Sorry Matriarch."

M.P.; :nh: "...very well. Where is the prototype vessl then?"

V.S.; "My third eye detects it within the digital verse, located on a male human's home computing system sometime in the old callendar year Anno-Dominae 2011."

M.P.; "Swell... Engines all ahead full. Set railgun batteries to 'Fourth-wall buster" ammo type. Time to go kick some ass."

V.S.; "Why would we wish to kick a pack animal?"

M.P.; :frust: "Valis?... Shut up."

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

"....ack!....Okay, let's not ever sidetrip into passcode-protected files like that.....that was just plain disturbing...." :shock:
"Agreed. Ordering brain-degaussers from stores."
"Good idea. And Devia? We WILL be scrubbing your console against any unauthorized recordings."
"Awwwww shucks...!!!" :(
"What do corn shells have to do with this?" :?:
:frust: :frust: :frust:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/253403_2083772571781_1169109879_32554054_7570181_n.jpg
Based on the AEther-Hawk medium strike cruiser, Darkwaters tribe shipwrights decided to modify and alter the basic hull design for their sister tribe The Wayfinders. Using more refined CG drive coils and smoother hull-lines, the Hawk-Ray is able to enter, operate, and leave planetary gravity wells and atmopshere. However, standard doctrine (even for Wayfinder scout parties) is to send one of their 2 Scarab assault shuttles to the destination and then use the Circle of Travel teleport grid to move supplies and personnel.

The material used for the hull is an organic crystal, which channels & amplifies PPE and is highly resistant to energy attacks. To create a Hawk-Ray, the shipwrights first create a skelletal frame work to support the 'standard' ship system (sensors, life-support, engineering, etc.), then they place clusters of the raw crystal material onto key points and just flood the dry-dock with raw PPE. Eventually the crystals grow and flow around the superstructure, creating the hull and internal structures. The result, an organic looking starship that looks like a ray-like sea-creature made from mother-of-pearl or opal (colours vary from ship to ship; slightly violet, pink, blue, etc). Even the Starfire Pulse-cannons & anti-ship laser turrets look like they grew from the hull. Each vessel takes up to a year & a half to grow.

Typical crew composistion is made up of Wayfinders of various castes (with at least 2 Pathfinders as bridge crew), and anywhere from 10 to a full 90 Ne-Shemarr or even fully organic allied crew beings. Catyr and Kiirn are the most common, with Star-elves, Smithy Dwarves and even Humans being present.

Hawk-Ray Eshemmar TW Strike Cruiser
Model Type: Hawk-Ray Cruiser Class: Medium Cruiser
Crew: 18 Bridge crew, 90 ship-hands, 124 Warriors (includes warmounts of Monst-rex size or smaller or smaller).
Can also accommodate up to 120 extra passengers in an emergency.
M.D.C. By Location:
*Bridge - 8,000
Wings (2) - 8,000 each
Prism-Cannon (Bow) - 1,500
Laser Batteries (2) - 1200 each
Flame Cannons (4) - 1,000 each
**Starfire Pulse-Cannon Turrets (10) - 100 each
**Railgun Point-Defense Turrets (10) – 100 each
Variable Shields - 1000 per facing; 6000 total
Outer Hull 40ft. section - 150
Inner Hull 40ft. section - 100
~Main Centerline Engine / engineering - 10,000
~~Main Body - 20,000
Notes: * Destruction of the bridge will reduce sensors and combat bonuses by half.
** These systems are normaly concealed and are - 3 to hit on a called shot, and the outer armour must be destroyed first (150MDC).
~ Destruction of the main engine will eliminate FTL capabilities, and force the vessel to rely TW systems..
~~ Destroying the main body will render the vessel a drifting hulk with no life support or power. If the ship is reduced to -20,000MDC, it explodes doing 3D6X1,000 MD to anything in a 1.6 km radius.
Speed:
Flying: Exatmo = Mach 10 combat speed & 0.2C sublight. Inatmo = Mach 1.3
FTL: 5 LY/hr. using Contragravity. Also see Later for Luminance Drive TW system.
Range: 35 months with full crew, using reycylers and hydroponics (only if organic crew are included), otherwise range is indefinite with EShemarr.
Statistical Data:
Height: (at highest point): 95 meters / 313.5ft. Length: 200 meters / 660ft. (+20% with wings)
Width: (At widest point): 95 meters / 313.5ft. (+30% with wings)
Weight: 80,000 tonnes with 1,400 tonnes of shuttle craft (2 Scarab class shuttles).
Cargo: 371 modules of cargo space / modification space. Also 4 external cargo docks.
Drive Type(s): Primary; Contragravity drive rated for 5 LY/ hr.
: Luminance Drive for long-range travel. See later for details.
Power System: Anti-matter reactor rated for 50 years at maximum output for conventional systems. Cosmic ley-line PPE siphons for techno-wizard devices; 1,000 PPE/hr. and crystal storage cells with 10,000 PPE capacity.
Market Cost: Approximately 700 million UT credits (minus auxiliary vehicles), for a fully operational vessel. None known to be sold.

Weapon Systems
1) Prism cannon: The Hawk-Ray carries a TW enhanced primary laser weapon copied from the UWW’s Brightwandir mounted in the bow of the ship.
Mega-Damage: 2D8X1000 per shot; 50% greater output on a ley-line & X2 if on a nexus. R.O.F.: 1 shot per round.
Range: 144km (90miles) Exatmo, 22.4km (14 miles) Inatmo. Range is doubled on a ley-line or nexus. Payload: Effectively unlimited;1,000 PPE per 12 hours of operation. Battleship Ship scale= -14 to strike small targets. Note: Inflicts full damage to undead, and 50% to supernatural creatures . constructs otherwise not effected by energy beams.

2) Antiship Laser Batteries (2): Located on the dorsal & ventral hull of the Hawk-Ray are 2 turreted heavy laser batteries with 360 degree field of fire.
Mega-Damage: 3D6X100 per laser battery shot, or 6D6X100 for both targeting one ship. R.O.F.: 2 shots per battery / rnd.
Range: 880km (550miles) in space. Payload: Effectively unlimmited (powered by reactor). Captiol Ship scale= -10 to strike small targets.

3) Flame Cannons (4): To back up the Anti Ship Laser Cannons, Hawk-Ray cruisers have been equipped with the same heavy TW flame cannons as the Dwarven Iron-ships, mounted side by side under along the wings. The Hawk-Rays’ fire blasts are brilliant blue white in colour and seem to self-guide towards their targets. This effectively negates the need for missile launchers. The only drawback is the limmited range.
Mega-Damage: 1D4x1000 M.D with Blast Radius of 300 feet (91.5 m). R.O.F.: 2 shots per cannon per melee (8 total).
Range: 32 km (20 miles) in space. Payload: 500 PPE per gun for 24 hours operation, but may fire indefinately during that time.
Notes: Automatic to-hit of 18 (target vessel must dodge or parry with shields), and is captiol ship scaled (can NOT target fighters).

4) Starfire Pulse-Cannon Point Defense turrets (10): Pop-up TW point defense guns are spaced evenly across the Hawk-Rays' hull to protect from enemy fighters and incoming missile strikes. The turrets may be manually operated or set to auto-fire.
Mega-Damage: 2D6X10 per burst. R.O.F.: 1 per gunners action or 3 attacks automated. Range: 1.83 km (6000ft.).
Payload: 100 PPE per gun, per hour (1,000 total). Light Ship scale= No penalties. Note: The rotating turret gives a +1 to strike (plus any WP, weapon system lock-ons and sensor bonuses). If set for auto-fire, the guns are +4 to strike (+6 if lock on has been achieved). Due to their magical nature, the bursts from these guns will damage objects & creatures normaly immune to energy.

5) Point Defense Rail Guns (10): Standard Shemarrian-pattern long barrel railgun.
Mega-Damage: 4D6X10 damage per shot. R.O.F.: as per gunners actions. Range: 6.4km (4 miles), ½ Inatmo.
Payload: 2,000 rounds per gun. Additional ammunition can be stored as cargo, but will take 45 minutes to reload from stores.
Light Ship scale= No penalties. Note: The rotating turret gives a +1 to strike (plus any WP, weapon system lock-ons and sensor bonuses). If set for auto-fire, the guns are +4 to strike (+6 if lock on has been achieved).

Defensive Systems
ECM Suite (Anti-EM & Holo-fields); on a successful 'electronic warfare' skill roll, the ship becomes +4 to dodge all incomming attacks, and all homing missles are +6 to dodge. The Ship visibly seems to blur and distort and go transparrent.
Crystallis Armour; The outer hull &/ armour plating is a bio-metalic crystal matrix. First, all energy weapons will do only 50% damage. Secondly; one minute (4 melees), after combat has ended, all damage to the armour will begin to regenerate spontaneously, using the energy diffracted to heal its crystaline latice. This applies to coherent energy weapons only (Lasers, particle beams, etc); kinetic weapons will still do full damage.
Manoeuvre Enhancement Package; See below for bonuses (2 Lvls. above normal). Manoeuvres almost like a shuttle or heavy interceptor. The Hawk-Ray resembles the creature it’s named after while in motion & combat.

Sensors
Advanced & Military Sensors; Can track and identify up to 2000 targets with a 400,000km range (250,000 miles); 1/2 range Inatmo. Objects as small as a golf ball can be seen at a distance of 300 miles Inatmo, or 41,600km in space (26,000 miles). Communications range is32,000km (200,000 miles) in space. See later for combat bonuses.
Scientific Sensor Array; Full I.R., U.V, and Thermographic optical sensors with a range of 4LY and computer programs to sort and enhance incoming data. Adds +15% to navigation rolls. Can detect objects as small as a battleship from 4LY away, but takes 5D4 minutes to complete the scan.
Super-navigation Computer & Auto-pilot; 50% skill for FTL and Sublight navigation, and 50% Skill for piloting.

Other Systems
Recreation Areas; Mediation garden and lounge.
Medical / Repair Facility; Nano-forge units (8), and regenerator tanks for up to 10 biological crew / passengers at a time.
Artificial Gravity; Provides standard 1g environment within the ship.
Crew Quarters; Each crew member has their own private room with; bed, footlocker, computer unit & refresher.
Type 2 Recycling system (Atmosphere & consumables); Can continuously provide recycled, breathable air for 35 days for the crew plus passengers; other consumables can be recycled for up to 350 days.
Hull Breach Auto-Repair; Triple redundancy system, prevents catastrophic loss of atmosphere from hull breaches.
[u]FTL Life-boats (17); See "AU; Galaxy Guide" Pg. 181 for details.
FTL Accelerators;[/u] This system allows the ship to go from Speed 0 (relative) to factor 1 (0.01 Ly/ hr.) in less than 5 seconds, eliminating the acceleration time needed to "port" into FTL.

TW Systems
TW Sensors: Ley-line sensor, Sense Magic, Sense Dimensional Anomaly, See Dimensional Anomaly. Draws directly from the storage batteries. See Carl Gleba’s ‘Rifts: Three Galaxies’ Pg. 108-109 for descriptions, though ranges are based on the ’normal’ sensor suite (tied directly normal sensors).
Impervious to energy: 100 PPE / 20 minutes. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Equal to 8th level power.
Invisibility superior: 100 PPE / 30 minutes. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Equal to 8th level power.
Sustain: 60 PPE / 8 days. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Equal to 8th level power.
**Note; the above systems are not as refined as comparable UWW TW systems, and use 5 times the PPE required.
Spaceflight superior: 38 PPE / 10 hours. Draws directly from the storrage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Used when / if primary power is disrupted to the main engines. Equal to 8th level power = 38,400 km/h (24,000mph).
Pin-point deflectors: 70 PPE / 2 minutes per deflector (up to 10). Same effect as Targeted-Deflection spell, but cover a 10ft. area per barrier. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Must be manually controlled. Equal to 8th level power.
Teleport grid: 30 PPE / use. Circle of Travel system connected to the Scarab assault shuttle(s); making for secure and rapid transit from ship-to-surface for planetary missions. Requires at least one shuttle to be at the destination point. Equal to 8th level = 10,240km (6400 miles) range.
Luminance Drive (Special): 1012 PPE / 16 hours. Based on the Pehonix Light spell, this TW drive allows for travel at 2 LY/hr. per level of the helmswoman / helmsman operating the system. The visual effect as the drive is engaged is the entire hull seems to be lined in glowing lines of power as the vessel accelerates to FTL. A special room & control couch, equipped with a Sustain enchantment is used for this TW system, as the “pilot” is required to maintain concentration for the entire duration of the FTL transit. An added bonus effect is mystical space-navigation sense of 88%. Draws directly from the storage batteries. Equal to 8th level power.

Attack Craft
4 external docking collars can be used to carry additional attack shuttles, Hvy. Fighter-bombers and / or cargo pods. Typically carries 2 Scarab Assault Shuttles (with full crew) durring combat missions.
Bonuses
+4 Intiative, +5 to dodge, +1 to strike with all weapons and +35% to combat piloting rolls and +10% to weapon systems lock-ons.
Notes
Vessels auto-repair / regrow damage done at 10% per location every 24hrs. Completely destroyed systems require time in drydock to replace.
Last edited by DhAkael on Thu May 26, 2011 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

Beautiful...simply beautiful... 8) 8) 8)

Also updated the Shemarrian Codex on Page 1. :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:Beautiful...simply beautiful... 8) 8) 8)

Also updated the Shemarrian Codex on Page 1. :bandit:

Picture now added. :crane:

viewtopic.php?p=2367620#p2367620

-sigh- not up to my usual standards but what do you want for an "OMG! I gotta get this done or I'll lose the idea!" at @2:30am? :D

Leaves of the lotus rise

Return to “Rifts®”