Time of a Thousand Magiks

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Re: Time of a Thousand Magiks

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Best idea I can come up with is to start going through the Rifts books and the BoM for all of their Magic OCCs. Some neccessary mods would be MDC to SDC conversions, most likely no Techno-Wizard, though a Fantasy era equivalent is probable, and skill modifications for a fantasy setting rather than Rifts (ie no WP Energy Pistol, Power Armor Combat, etc.)
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Hey great topic :)
The Rifter article I wrote for issue #23, The Blade Mage, talks about the Time of a Thousand Magicks, also, Palladium Fantasy book Island at the Edge of the World provides a living legend, the Life Force Wizard Selsesstissan.
Some sort of elemental steam punk is not out of the question.
Rune Smiths who trap powerful beings, binding their souls into indestructible rune artifacts and weapons,
The surging magic levels of the Palladium world at that time, were the equal of Rifts Earth.. Ley line wizards of that era could probably strip mine half a mountain by tearing open the fabric of space, just by redirecting and focusing the epic geomantic energies. Summoners opened doorways to worlds, whole armies of creatures arrived and waged war on a daily basis.
Not much unlike the Collectable card game, Magic the Gathering really.
The most powerful wizards dominated the world, some had very specialized magical powers.. these are the masterminds who uncovered terrible secrets of the Old Ones, who kicked open the library doors of hell and rifled Pandora's box for anything they could throw at each other.
Sheared off mountain tops, inverted with fortified castles on top, soaring across the sky in defiance of gravity, for sure.
A wizard who creates animated golems, and rides inside a huge, armored hulk, propelled by infernal energies.
Psychics that can create living spells through the use of potent power words and geomantic rituals.
Pretty much anything goes, you can introduce demi-gods and immortals, such as the legendary historical author, Tristine.
8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

I've run a single game in the past, and it was at the cusp of the change from Time of a Thousand Magiks and the onset of the war. Players where a trio of gnomes dropping quickly into insanity at the actions of Elf and Dwarves and ranting about how it would affect the mighty gnomish people trying to whip their people into a fervor over said offenses. In the end they failed that and turned to picking off wizards in the war (gnomes where an Assassin, Bowmen and Warrior).

As far as setting, it's mostly the same, but I had wizards able to select a second school of otherwise 'lost' or 'forbidden' magic, and allowed classes like Blade Mage, Shadow Mage, and all those other odd ball caster classes. As such, almost everyone had a caster class.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Crucible
Champion

Unread post by Crucible »

ZEN wrote:Hey great topic :)
The Rifter article I wrote for issue #23, The Blade Mage, talks about the Time of a Thousand Magicks, also, Palladium Fantasy book Island at the Edge of the World provides a living legend, the Life Force Wizard Selsesstissan.
Some sort of elemental steam punk is not out of the question.
Rune Smiths who trap powerful beings, binding their souls into indestructible rune artifacts and weapons,
The surging magic levels of the Palladium world at that time, were the equal of Rifts Earth.. Ley line wizards of that era could probably strip mine half a mountain by tearing open the fabric of space, just by redirecting and focusing the epic geomantic energies. Summoners opened doorways to worlds, whole armies of creatures arrived and waged war on a daily basis.
Not much unlike the Collectable card game, Magic the Gathering really.
The most powerful wizards dominated the world, some had very specialized magical powers.. these are the masterminds who uncovered terrible secrets of the Old Ones, who kicked open the library doors of hell and rifled Pandora's box for anything they could throw at each other.
Sheared off mountain tops, inverted with fortified castles on top, soaring across the sky in defiance of gravity, for sure.
A wizard who creates animated golems, and rides inside a huge, armored hulk, propelled by infernal energies.
Psychics that can create living spells through the use of potent power words and geomantic rituals.
Pretty much anything goes, you can introduce demi-gods and immortals, such as the legendary historical author, Tristine.
8-)

Blade Mage is an absolute favorite of mine!!!!!
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Rifter #50 also has Zodiac mages which are pretty cool.
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Crucible wrote:Blade Mage is an absolute favorite of mine!!!!!

Thanks! :-D
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Crucible
Champion

ZEN wrote:

Thanks! :-D

NO!!! Thank you! The Blade Mage is canon in my games.
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Crucible
Champion

malefic wrote:

Some of the powers needed tweaking imo but I agree. The Blade Mage was one of the best things to come out of Rifter.

I didn't tweak a thing.

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Dont forget the Cannibal Mage from Rifter 52 - Makes for a great NPC villain!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Has there ever been a definitive timeline for TOTM, or the war with the Old Ones? If there's a game with those, then you need to know the base history, especially since these two event are the foundations of Palladium Fantasy
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

wyrmraker wrote:Has there ever been a definitive timeline for TOTM, or the war with the Old Ones? If there's a game with those, then you need to know the base history, especially since these two event are the foundations of Palladium Fantasy

Not at this time. I've long since filled those blanks for the Chaos War, though not Thousand Magics oddly.

wyrmraker
Hero

Well, crud. I was really hoping that there was a compiled timeline, maybe in one of the books I don't have.
It's also unfortunate that PB hasn't really addressed the Old Ones properly, outside of PF2. Even then the information is extremely vague. Land of the Damned is a fine sourcebook, but we really need more information on the extinct races, or the lost civilizations.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

wyrmraker wrote:Well, crud. I was really hoping that there was a compiled timeline, maybe in one of the books I don't have.
It's also unfortunate that PB hasn't really addressed the Old Ones properly, outside of PF2. Even then the information is extremely vague. Land of the Damned is a fine sourcebook, but we really need more information on the extinct races, or the lost civilizations.

Honestly, filling in blanks is the worst thing to do in writing. Blank spaces are what keep people coming back. Leaving it grey lets it be explored. A writers job is to offer questions, not answers, and that is doubly so of someone writing in an interactive sense like an RPG. A few bits and pieces would be fine. The whole thing spelled out would ruin it.

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

wyrmraker wrote:Well, crud. I was really hoping that there was a compiled timeline, maybe in one of the books I don't have.

I disagree. I think less is more mysterious and can be a means to "unleash our imagination". More on the races that arent extinct and my group will actually encounter would be preferable to myself.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
wyrmraker
Hero

Mysterious is fine and all, but sometimes there's a little too little information. It ends up being less 'mysterious', and more of a pain. But our primary GM and I (the other main GM) prefer these little details, instead of having to make up a civilization from scratch. At least a base timeline would be helpful.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

wyrmraker wrote:Has there ever been a definitive timeline for TOTM, or the war with the Old Ones? If there's a game with those, then you need to know the base history, especially since these two event are the foundations of Palladium Fantasy

There's been a few brief history write-ups in some of the books. I'll have more time to look through them later, but for now, the war with the Old Ones was 10,000 years or so ago, IIRC.
wyrmraker
Hero

On a somewhat related subject, has there ever been a proper write-up for the Defilers? These 'Heroes of Legend' are mentioned everywhere in PF, but has PB ever actually sat down and run up the details?
The Beast

wyrmraker wrote:On a somewhat related subject, has there ever been a proper write-up for the Defilers? These 'Heroes of Legend' are mentioned everywhere in PF, but has PB ever actually sat down and run up the details?

The closest you'll likely ever get is the illustration in the PFRPG Main Book of the group, and maybe a write-up of Lord Coake (I'm not sure if one exsists in the SoT series) due to him being the head cyber-knight and also in Rifts. Keep in mind that Lord Coake was created/played by the douche that stole all that stuff from Kevin and Palladium. From what I understand, Palladium would need to get permission from the players to write-up those PCs.
wyrmraker
Hero

Oh, wow. I did not know that he played Coake. That's just... Wow. That makes his douche-baggery even more devastating.
Or at least a write-up on their exploits, something. After all, legendary heroes rarely have stats and such.
The Beast

relicandcheese wrote:Would someone be willing to PM me and fill me in on who exactly this "douche" is? None of my business, but in the words of Indigo Montoya, "I must know..."

http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=57557
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Conjurer will be a good jumping off point. Reduce some costs or increase power as a trade off for needing something to copy from.

Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

mokthul wrote:living organic material. . . . . i would say no. but if its off the vine (eg: tomato, melon) sure, why not. but absolutely no nutritional value from cloned food. your body will feel full and expend energy to digest food that has no caloric intake. good way to trick a prisoner. you cant clone a chicken, but a headless plucked chicken yes!

Why not? It's not like there isn't already a spell that provides food.

robertbc73

Unread post by robertbc73 »

Dont forget one of my favorite spells, Sustain (referring to the magic for sustenance bit).
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

azazel1024 wrote:Rifter #50 also has Zodiac mages which are pretty cool.

Have used a zodiac mage in my current campaign- lots of fun!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”