Rifters 47, 48 & NORAD info

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DtMK
Hero

Rifters 47, 48 & NORAD info

Unread post by DtMK »

Given that both these Rifters have articles dealing with Chaos Earth and Rifts Earth versions of NORAD, could someone tell me what they think about them, and if they're worth picking them up for them? Thanks!
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Rifters 47, 48 & NORAD info

Unread post by jaymz »

DtMK wrote:Given that both these Rifters have articles dealing with Chaos Earth and Rifts Earth versions of NORAD, could someone tell me what they think about them, and if they're worth picking them up for them? Thanks!

I thoroughly enjoyed them and they are definitely worth the get IMO. Then again I typically enjoy every Rifter and find something useful in each and every one so i may not be the best source :)
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

I thought that these were two excellent scenarios. There are some rough spots, but overall I can see a new GM running these games and players having a lot of fun with it.

Here's the bad: They don't match eat other in pacing. The first game could easily be resolved in two or three sessions (five days in game). The second game is structured as a very slow expedition which works more like a campaign (probably several weeks in game). There are a few nitpicky bits I didn't like such as the dinosaurs with animal-level intelligence who cast Armor of Ithan. All the nitpicky stuff, however, is in the little details. These games are basically dungeon crawls -- very linear storylines, so a GM will need a lot of buy-in from the players, especially in the second game. A couple of the items which most needed illustration were not drawn in favor of stuff that we already knew pretty much how it looked. Lastly, there is an unclear motivation for the player-characters in the second game, so a GM might get a little frustrated with players wanting to back out part-way through the adventure. I don't want to go into too much detail on that last point due to spoilers, but a good deal of the events detailed along the way dissuade (directly and indirectly) the characters from going further to the point where the wise thing to do would be cut their loses and leave.

Here's the good: The games are moody, action-packed, suspense-building fun. There are several new monsters in each game (yay!) along with new character classes (eh) and new equipment (groovy). I really liked some pieces of new equipment while other seemed a little pointless. In the first section, the author organizes his areas of the dungeon crawl chronologically so that each room is different when it is visited on a different day. This builds both familiarity for the players and efficiency of maps. I thought it was a brilliant way of presenting a well-structured story. The artwork is of mixed quality, but most of it is good. The spatial demon is great.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

i loved the fall of norad ran it over the holidays with my brother and his kids
man was fun but one of the kids died wanted to go with the heavy armor group
at the end of the campain and couldnt talk him out of it
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Good input, thanks everyone!
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Good to know. I'll have to save my pennies and consider it for my next purchases.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Yes, They are great. I love both adventures, and I agree with Citizen Lazlo. They could very easily have been turned into a 64 page sourcebook...and may be yet.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Bood Samel
Adventurer
Comment: The only place worth going is too far.

Unread post by Bood Samel »

What would be great would be a joint rifts & chaos earth book on famous real and semi-mythical American military bases.
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Kevin has been rather public about his disappointment in sales of adventure books. He seems to be down on the entire concept of an adventure book. The N.O.R.A.D. Duology has a saving grace of featuring new O.C.C.s (which seems to be something very important to Kevin), so it's not impossible, just unlikely.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

As of the most recent Gateway to the Megaverse podcast, Kevin doesn't seem to be too hip on new O.C.C.s anymore. He kept talking about character archetypes.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Been running The Fall of NORAD adventure over on www.rpol.net and it is working out quite well as a starting adventure for a Chaos Earth game. I have added a few of my own twist to the game, but hey most every GM does that.

I have looked at the Return to NORAD adventure and debating if I should run the game whether it will be a CS military game, or as a game with Rifts: New West characters.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

If you are enjoying the Chaos Earth camapign, why not stick with that?

jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Lord Z wrote:If you are enjoying the Chaos Earth campaign, why not stick with that?

With play by post games, I can (and do) run several games simultaneously.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”