Shemarrian-related fan creations

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Toc Rat
Hero

Re: Shemarrian-related fan creations

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Hello my fellow Rifts fans. Before I board the plane to go to Afghanistan, would anyone like to see what I came up with for the Shemarrians a while ago? I've had it sitting on my hard drive now for a few years, I'll post what I worked out then. it is what the Shemarrians have been programmed to believe what is real. I created it to fill in the gap left when the first source book gave us the Shammarians but failed to say what the false history was!
Last edited by Toc Rat on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Shemarrian implanted false history

Many generations ago, the Shemarrian race existed in a different universe. During that time in their culture and society, they had both males and females. They looked very much like humans, except for the Antenna. They had developed an advanced technology and had begun to explore their galaxy. Their society was based on a class system. Males were warriors, females were engineers, scientists, etc. Within the two genders, sub-divisions or types also existed, for instance within the males, there were those that were Infantry class, Fighter class, Mecha Rider class, etc. The same applied to the females, within the scientist caste for example the caste broke down in Physics class, Genetics, etc. Thus their entire society was highly regimented and orderly, everyone and everything had its place and function. They felt quite ready to explore and mark their place in the galaxy.

Shortly after exploring the systems nearest to their own, they encountered a relentlessly hostile race, the Kittani. After years of fighting, they were pushed back to their home system. Knowing that their home world would eventually fall, they had begun work on a dimensional gate capable of transport to another universe. The portal was a monumental effort and their home world came under direct assault even as it was nearing completion. All remaining warriors fought a delaying action while the portal was finally activated and selected few began to travel thru it.

Among those selected few were their top scientists, engineers and medical experts in their castes. The remainder was those males either too young or too old to have fought in the warrior caste. When the last of these survivors were thru, the portal self-destructed, preventing any chance of the Kittani following them thru to finish their genocide.

The survivors found themselves on an inhabitable if alien world, After remembering the sacrifices made by those that stayed behind, they set about establishing a new colony for their race. Not long after they had finished constructing their initial settlement, calamity came to visit them again. This time in the form of a micro-parasite that spread through the male population. Soon only the females were left.

Faced with this new problem, the heads of each Caste met to decide upon a course of action to save their race. It would be years, possible decades until they would have the resource base capable of producing ships to carry them off this planet. Neither could they construct another dimensional portal and return to their shattered home world. Since they couldn’t leave and no males could stay here and live, the head of Genetics proposed a bold plan, survival thru cloning of the female population only! It was a less then perfect option but the only choice for the continued survival of their society.

The plan was accepted but an immediate flaw was pointed out, if only the females would be cloned, then what about the warrior Caste? With no males, females would have to re-create the warrior Caste but then who would take over all the duties of the traditionally female Castes? The answer was another radical solution, this time proposed by the head of the Robotics and Artificial Intelligence Caste. Her solution was to create a master computer program, capable of building and controlling numerous machines that would then do all the other tasks they needed. Now engineering, medicine, agriculture, etc, would all be handled by this new master program, allowing all females to train and become the next warrior Caste.

After much debate, all the Caste heads agreed to The Plan. Work began immediately on construction of what came to be known as Artemis, the name given to the master computer system. In an amazingly short amount of time a robotic factory was built, allowing Artemis to construct scores of robots for every task the colony needed. In just a few short years, the first cloning facilities went online and thus the continuation of their race.

Decades passed and the succeeding generations of Shemarrians paid no more thought to the lack of males or that robots controlled by a single computer controlled so much of their daily lives. Over the course of those generations, Artemis had managed to reverse engineer what little of the Kittani technology they had captured during the war. Combined with their advancements, great leaps in cybernetics and bionics were made. Wishing their next encounter with a hostile alien species to go in their favor, the warriors began to make extensive use of bionics to ensure they would be the strongest and most capable fighters to take to the battlefield.

When the leaders of the Shemarrians and Artemis felt they were ready, they once again created starships in order to explore this new universe. This time, they would not be the ones invaded and pushed back, this time they would be the invaders and woe to anyone who stood in their way! Each ship was equipped with an avatar of the Artemis program which handled all ship functions. In case of hostile action and combat losses, small cloning facilities and a weapons fabricator were also installed.

So their gradual expansion across this new galaxy began, traveling in force this time. After a while, a pair of their starships encountered a small G-type star from which various electromagnetic signals were detected. The signals were of an obviously non-natural type and thus indicated the presence of intelligence. Further investigation was warranted as they could be a threat to them. The starship moved closer and found the source of the signals to be coming from deep in system, past the asteroid belt.

Upon nearing the third planet’s orbit, they discovered a world ringed by much debris. No sooner had their sensors reported that the debris field held no active satellites, then they came under attack! Killer satellites and other assets of the Lunar colonies attacked. One ship was quickly destroyed before its defenses could activate. The surviving ship made an emergency landing on the northern continent in the western hemisphere.

The crew that survived found themselves in a wilderness, surrounded by dense forest and strange animals. The ship’s FTL communicator had been destroyed when their FTL drive was damaged during the fight. In fact most of the ship’s many systems needed for space flight were damaged beyond their ability to repair. Thankfully, the Artemis avatar was intact and still fully functional being in the most shielded part of the ship, along with the cloning facility and weapons fabrication center.

Now this group of Shemarrians much like their ancestors, found themselves alone on a hostile world, cut off from any help. They too like their ancestors would not simply give in to despair but instead fight back against a hostile universe and reaffirm their right to exist.

RainOfSteel wrote:

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

The next post will be what I came up with after reading the Mechanoid source book. I wanted to revisit Archie and Hagan and come up with something new for them. I chatted with someone here on the boards about it but I'm afraid that was so long ago I don't remember who it was. The following is the added together and cleaned up compilation of our chats and brain storming.

It takes place after the Mechanoid invasion, as Archie and Hagan are dealing with the aftermath. I based it off the information provided in there and naturally, had to make a few assumptions.
1. Hagan has grown to like the notion that he is some kind of heroic figure. Saving people from the evil mechanoids and all that. His tatse for combat in his power armor or robot has not diminished and anything has increased.
2. Archie has always had a fascination with Humans, they are after all his creators. I don't have my books with me here or I would be quoting page numbers where he says words to that effect. It also says in or near the same passage (in omnipotent writer to reader terms) that Archie still desires to be around humans. Granted he wishes to control them but he is like a child, desperately seeking the approval of his parents.
3. Following the encounter with the Mechanoids and seeing how the Splugorth (his most hated foes) are becoming bolder in their raids on the East coast, he has decided to increase his military power.
4. His first attempt at creating a human population base under his control (he forgets that at the time he was only "guiding" it in until they could be told the truth) was a failure not just because of the splugorth attack but also because he did not take an aggressive enough stance.

So based on these assumptions based on the books, I put forth the following scenario.

RainOfSteel wrote:

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Nice work! Going into the Shemarrian/Alternative Shemarrians folder... :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

taalismn wrote:Nice work! Going into the Shemarrian/Alternative Shemarrians folder... :D

Thanks! You can see exactly how the events of their false history play in to Archie's stance on the Splugorth in specific and the rest of Rifts Earth in general. The history gives the Shemarrians reasons for seeing the entire universe as being extremely hostile and their need for such an aggressive posture in order to simply protect themselves.
Eliminating the FTL communicator and drive systems make it easier for Archie to explain away why they simply can't leave or call for help. Fabricating a fake starship hull, complete with battle damage and strange bits of seemingly alien technology is an easy matter for him. The "cloning" facility is another simple matter. Since none of the shemarrians are supposed to understand advanced robotics, genetics or other sciences, they would never question the method of how they are created. New warriors are created from the cloning tubes and that is that. As this collection of Shemarrians are engaged in a life or death struggle on a strange new world, only fully adult clones are made. Again, another plot device that explains away why there is only adult female Shemarrians.
By utilizing the plot device of Artemis, it creates a society that not only sees nothing wrong with taking the orders of a computer but eagerly carrying them out. I decided upon making them a caste and class based systems for similar plot reasons. It makes them a ready made militaristic society, perfectly accepting of orders. It also gives rise to a culture of "I/ we are doing this because we were ordered to" and also "This is the way it has always been" mentality.
All these are elements that Archie would want his creations to have. Acceptance of orders from a machine, eagerness to carry out any order, a well regimented and orderly society. After all he was created by humans to create order and run things smoothly, at his core he is still attempting to carry out those directives.

RainOfSteel wrote:

Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

The New Shemarrians

During the time of the Mechanoid invasion, Hagan saved many small villages from their relentless genocide. After the dust had settles from one such fight, he and his small detachment of Shemarrians that were with him found a few survivors. It was a handful of little girls, barely toddlers really. He felt he couldn’t just leave them there to die or worse, fall in to the hands of Splugorth slavers. So he decided to take them with him and needing to get back in to the fight against the Mechanoids, he left them in the care of the Shemarrians he had with him. Ordering them to look after the girls, they took them back to a secure location. There the girls had food, shelter and security. Occasionally Hagan would drop by and see to them.

While this was going on Archie began to get an idea. Being able to stay in contact with any of creations due to his super tele-mechanics, he was able to watch the little ones as they began to imitate the Shemarrians. They were after all the only adults around for them to follow the example of. Perhaps this was the answer to his problem of what to do with the human race? What if he could raise these girls to believe they were Shemarrians? Surely with his command of bionics and advanced technologies, he could handle any technical aspects. With Hagan by his side to handle the organic issues, this could be the start of a new human civilization, something molded in his own image! Easily controlled, orderly and to accept and appreciate his superiority, yes this could be exactly the opportunity he had been looking for.

Hagan and Archie discussed this idea and eventually a plan was made. The girls would be raised as Shemarrians and learn their false history. As they grew up and their bodies able to handle different bionic enhancements, they would receive them. This would further the children’s belief that they were Shemarrians and not humans. They would be as strong and tough as any other Shemarrian. New weapons and mounts would also be created; the new Shaemarrians would become a complete military force. It would be able to handle any threat that Archie and Hagan sent it against on the land or in the air.

The revamped Shemarrians would then begin to make contact with the small settlements of humans that had sprung up in their territory seeking refuge from the Splugorth. Previously they had mostly ignored them as Archie did not see them as a threat and in fact could be used as bait for Splugorth raiders which he could then ambush. Now though, he would have the Shemarrians seek out contact. They would come to the humans as protectors and by right of that protection, the new leaders of those small villages.

Already looking to the future, Hagan and Archie discussed what would happen when the children were no longer children and began to become adults. This was seen as an opportunity not an obstacle by both. Believing in the false history they had learned all their lives, it would only be natural for the then adult females to be suspicious of human males yet curious. Eventually natural instincts would drive at least some of them to begin exploring relationships with the male humans. This would be encouraged by Artemis (Archie) as it would lead to the creation of a society built along their lines.

Archie could then have the towns grow along paths he chose. Naturally this would include keeping the false history he created going. The avatar of Artemis would control robotic fabrication facilities and all aspects of advanced technology while the Shemarrians themselves would be the warriors. The humans, male and female would be integrated in to this new society. As things progressed, and “hybrids” between Human and Shemarrian pairings were produced, they too would receive the bionics and training needed to make them warriors. Archie and Hagan both would keep close tabs on how things developed and have a plan in place for various eventualities. Such as if the “pure” human females or even the males wished to become warriors too. As a stroke of pure chance, their false history they had created so long ago would make human males becoming warriors not unprecedented. It would simply be a return to the ancient ways prior to the Kitanni invasion.

Ever paranoid and worried about controlling his creations though, Archie would make sure to include the standard self-destruct device even in his new Shemarrians. As the proud and fierce warriors they are, they would see it as their honor to die and take more of the enemy with them so they would know of it. What they would not know is that at any time Archie could activate it if needed to protect himself from any treachery.

The new weapons created would include technology taken from the Mechanoids. Previously the Shemarrians had only used their highly accurate and powerful raliguns. While deadly, they had drawbacks, such as the noise, ammunition limitations and rate of fire. From the standpoint of their being spells that make the user impervious to energy but no spell that he had yet seen that made them impervious to high speed metal projectiles, outfitting his fem fatales with railguns made sense.

Now though, he would give them a variety of options. This would be done not only to throw his enemies off balance when the encountered the new weapons but also to deal more effectively with the many different threats out there. Ion and particle beam type weapons would be created. Gryphon style mounts would be created along the similar lines to the successful Monst-Rexs to give them air power.

Until they had the sheer numbers they needed, the fully android Shemarrians would still be utilized. They would undergo a refit though, making them seem more real. Bioengineered skin that could bleed and sweat, hair that could grow would all be added. They would also undergo upgrades to the personality programs to better create and foster the illusion of being living beings. He would also create a select amount of neural intelligence Shemarrians in platoon and higher leadership roles. This too would be to further the illusion of living beings along.

Another advantage to creating non-railgun weapons would be to give the younger warriors weapons they could use and learn with that would not have the weight and recoil problems that only a fully enhanced warrior could handle.

RainOfSteel wrote:

taalismn
Priest

Excellent work...worthy additions to the emerging mythology(real, fabricated, and gossiped) of the Shemarrians... 8)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

I like your write up.

You might want to reconsider using Kitanni - should one of the warriors ever mention it, which we should expect to happen eventually (even if it took a decade) the closest Spluggy would ask around and should be able to find out it is not true. You would be better off saying beings that reminded them of the Kitanni - which is why they have a dislike for them.

For the same reason consider changing the space ship angle slightly - It isn't that hard to check that out to find out its false by checking space station logs...Which a spluggy could have done. I would stick with the dimensional door plan as there are unlimited dimensions they could have come from (thus beings that reminded them of the spluggy's and their minions). Its a matter of tweaking it to be, again something that can never be verified. Perhaps part of a city came accross, or they only came with what they could carry and are therefore now nomadic...? Something along those lines.
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

G wrote:I like your write up.

You might want to reconsider using Kitanni - should one of the warriors ever mention it, which we should expect to happen eventually (even if it took a decade) the closest Spluggy would ask around and should be able to find out it is not true. You would be better off saying beings that reminded them of the Kitanni - which is why they have a dislike for them.

For the same reason consider changing the space ship angle slightly - It isn't that hard to check that out to find out its false by checking space station logs...Which a spluggy could have done. I would stick with the dimensional door plan as there are unlimited dimensions they could have come from (thus beings that reminded them of the spluggy's and their minions). Its a matter of tweaking it to be, again something that can never be verified. Perhaps part of a city came accross, or they only came with what they could carry and are therefore now nomadic...? Something along those lines.

The primary concern for Acrhie and Hagan was less of a story for the Splugorth and more for the Shemarrians and other people that they encounter. Yes an in depth study would of course reveal it to be a house of cards but it is enough to withstand the level of inspection it would most like get from outsiders.

As for checking logs, I highly doubt the Splugorth have any access to the logs of the Lunar colonies or even care about them. Splynncryth has only been concerned with Earth in general and Atlantis in specific since taking the continent. Still I will keep yuour comments in mind.

Oh and in case anyone was wondering, the germans have never heard of the qwerty keyboard it seems. The switched the Y for a Z and it is fracking me up trying to type!

RainOfSteel wrote:

Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Excellent additions! Please keep them coming! And please keep your head down when you are over there! Be safe Toc Rat!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Shemarrian Puls-Gauntlet
This is a large heavy armored gauntlet with two cylinders, actually particle-beam projectors, mounted along the line of the forearm. Despite its exotic appearance, its internal workings are actually based on the Northern Gun NG-45LP ‘Long Pistol’, copied for use by the Shemarrians. Clenching the fist, or touching a palm-trigger, fires the weapon. The Puls-Gauntlet has appeared being worn by War Chiefs and the occasional Warrior and Male Shemarrian, never War-Goddesses, Berserkers, or Pariahs.
Weight: 11 lbs
Range: 1,200 ft
Damage: 5d6 MD single barrel, 1d6x10 MD double blast
Rate of Fire: ECHH
Payload: Conditionally unlimited; taps into the Shemarrian’s own power system and has a capacitor that stores up to 24 shots, and recharges at a rate of 1 shot per 5 minutes, attached to the Shemarrian’s arm.
Cost: Unavailable to non-Shemarrian. If found in the possession of a non-Shemarrian, the weapon will be immediately confiscated without compensation, or destroyed.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Awesome! Do you think we could get a series of these gauntlets for various weapons? Like pulsed Ion weapons ect......
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:Awesome! Do you think we could get a series of these gauntlets for various weapons? Like pulsed Ion weapons ect......

As time goes along...and depending how ARCHIE-3 and any dissident Shemarrian factions feel the need to expand their arsenals(and in the case of the latter, acquire the MEANS to build their own high-tech weapons), it's entirely likely that ion-gaunts and plasma gaunts could become available to the various tribes...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Been pondering a few ideas for the ARCHIE gynoids but...well.. hard enough time getting my muse to work on my own campiagn stuff, most of my 'public' ideas are being left to idle :frust:
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Aramanthus
Monk

I'm always happy to see these things. Because sometimes they help to spur my own muse on.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

In this case, your muses should be tall bionic women with antennae and bad attitudes...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:In this case, your muses should be tall bionic women with antennae and bad attitudes...

Mine is a hyper-active alcoholic faerie with A.D.D. and a nasty habbit of flitting off JUST as I sit down to the key-board or drawing table.

Leaves of the lotus rise

Aramanthus
Monk

That would be nice! I wouldn't turn her away! :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:
taalismn wrote:In this case, your muses should be tall bionic women with antennae and bad attitudes...

Mine is a hyper-active alcoholic faerie with A.D.D. and a nasty habbit of flitting off JUST as I sit down to the key-board or drawing table.

Seal her in a glass preserves jar filled with moonshine, placed next to your desk...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That would have to be a mighty big jar and room! :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Of course, then you run the risk a well-pickled muse, but at least you know where she is...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

As long as the muse doesn't wander off or die you'll survive it!

HH....FIE
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Wasn't there supposed to be a Shemarrian O.C.C.?
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
taalismn
Priest

The Galactus Kid wrote:Wasn't there supposed to be a Shemarrian O.C.C.?

Wasn't aware of any...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Are you talking about the fan-created one?
I posted that over in the Dimension Book threads under 'Fan Races'.
If you're talking about the official OCC; I heard rumours that it got ganked onto the cutting room floor.

Leaves of the lotus rise

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

DhAkael wrote:

If you're talking about the official OCC; I heard rumours that it got ganked onto the cutting room floor.

I was talking about the official one. I think it was in one of the old press releases regarding the book, but I guess it did just get cut.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
DhAkael wrote:

I was talking about the official one. I think it was in one of the old press releases regarding the book, but I guess it did just get cut.

Pitty... :(
But one can always use the rules in Rifts Sourcebook 1 (revised) for Neural Intelligences for an advanced Shemarian P.C.
It's not a perfect solution, but it WOULD be book legal :mrgreen:
-pssssst-
P.S.; That's exactly what I did years ago when the 1st. edition SB1 came out ;)

Leaves of the lotus rise

Aramanthus
Monk

I was hoping for some new material. Please keep it coming!

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

due to recent inquiry into Shemarrians
-BUMP-

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

Should have some new material coming along soon, as the Ecotroz establish their own technology and organization.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

WHOOT!
Yeah, I'm gonna be introducing the Silvermoon at some point in my campaign as an 'Ecotroz' evolved tribe.

ARCHIE and Hagen are not happy that an entire division / tribe of their battle-bot-babes just up and vanished off their tracking systems.

The Ghostriders and Skullcrushers have been given "godddes given" (Re; ARCHIE In-Loaded) visions to seek out their wayward sisters and bring them back to "the true way".

Boy, are A3 and Leonovitch gonna be REAAAAALLL suprised. :demon:
Especially since the Templars of Shaemaria the Lightbringer (True, living D-B's simmilar to the Shemarrians, from off dimension), have opened diplomatic relations with the Ecotroz gynoids. :D

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

Rock n' Roll... :ok:
As Hagan and A3 discover the DOWNSIDE of creating a new species...
Like they're going to complain to everybody; "Well, we created this robotic race to cover forus and hide us, only somebody else seems to have subverted them, and they're no longer taking our orders and going off on their own, and...why are you looking at us funny?"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DracoMagus
Explorer

Unread post by DracoMagus »

OK, I'm just going to repost my pertinent stuff in here. It ain't the stuff that's Been goin on in this thread but I think it could be interesting all the same.

OK, the idea here could be one of the following...

1.) Archie-3 didn't create the Shemarrians, they are a race of D-Bees that cam through a rift and Really Are super hot cyborgs that ride into battle on dinosaur like creatures, and are not controlled by Archie either.

2.) The canon version applies as normal, but a rift opens up and the Shemarrians from 1. come out.

What I was thinking was that the "True Shemarrians" were actually a somewhat primitive warrior culture. One of the things that gave them an edge was they were able to tame the creatures that would later be called the Most-Rex.

It was when they were visited by a technologically advanced race that they were introduced to the idea of cybernetics. Many of the warriors decided that they would have this done, though the more traditional people were against it (I was thinking there were some shamanic magical traditions in the tribes that were part of how they were able to tame dinosaurs and such).

Well, the borged up Shemarrians split from the more traditional ones and when rifts started to appear on their world it was these ones for the most part that went through (maybe a village of the shamanic traditionalists were sucked through a rift as well and are in Dinosaur swamp ;) ).

Anywhoooo... this could be how Archie first encounters the Shemarrians. He kills quite a few of them and uses the idea as his own, but there are still some out there.

OK, thats the gist of my idea on this though, let's see where it goes.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Pot Shots? Now's the time to put em out there.
Remember kids, if speed were everything jackrabbits would Rule the World!!!!

All Hail the Death Metal Rooster!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A43JOxLa5MM
taalismn
Priest

More fun and more confusion, and sometimes it works to A3's advantage, and sometimes it doesn't...
If you throw the 'original' Shemarrians, the Ecotroz-assimilated Shemarrians, the organic high-tech Shemarrians, and the primitive low-tech organic Shemarrians in the same Rifts Earth, the confusion factor goes up...WAY up....Nobody, including A3 and Hagan, know who to trust...
Ecotroz---Already regard Archie's bots as 'misled sisters/brothers', and might see organic Shemarrians as primitive or 'Untouched' kin to be allied with or assimilated into their clan before the 'Corrupter' gets to them.
High-tech oragnic Shemarrians would be interested in BOTH groups, wondering if the former were imitators(imitation being the sincerest form of flattery), and the latter being possibly a time-lost tribe of theirs or the equivalent, in time-and-space spanning Rifts, of a bunch of Golden Age humans stumbling across a tribe of Celtic warriors or Roman Legionnaires stepped out of time.
Low-Tech Organic Shemarrians might see the robotic Shemarrians of BOTH parties as potential allies with wonderful toys. Depending on who met them first, they might initially ally against the other, but since both the Archie Shemarrians and the Ecotroz Shemar try to use deception to lure each other closer(to be destroyed/assimilated respectively) quick ID isn't always possible....conversely, telling apart ORGANIC Shemarriansmight be difficult(especially if they have an innate...or perhaps unintentional... ability to mask their life signs and thoughts from technological and psionic probes)...And if the robotic Shemarrians began fighting over the organic Shemarrians(and casualties inflicted), the organics might then castigate ALL of the 'cold' Shemarrians as enemies, possibly demons in their own shape.
That could lead to a three-way civil war that would confuse outsiders even MORE.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DracoMagus
Explorer

taalismn wrote:More fun and more confusion, and sometimes it works to A3's advantage, and sometimes it doesn't...
If you throw the 'original' Shemarrians, the Ecotroz-assimilated Shemarrians, the organic high-tech Shemarrians, and the primitive low-tech organic Shemarrians in the same Rifts Earth, the confusion factor goes up...WAY up....Nobody, including A3 and Hagan, know who to trust...
Ecotroz---Already regard Archie's bots as 'misled sisters/brothers', and might see organic Shemarrians as primitive or 'Untouched' kin to be allied with or assimilated into their clan before the 'Corrupter' gets to them.
High-tech oragnic Shemarrians would be interested in BOTH groups, wondering if the former were imitators(imitation being the sincerest form of flattery), and the latter being possibly a time-lost tribe of theirs or the equivalent, in time-and-space spanning Rifts, of a bunch of Golden Age humans stumbling across a tribe of Celtic warriors or Roman Legionnaires stepped out of time.
Low-Tech Organic Shemarrians might see the robotic Shemarrians of BOTH parties as potential allies with wonderful toys. Depending on who met them first, they might initially ally against the other, but since both the Archie Shemarrians and the Ecotroz Shemar try to use deception to lure each other closer(to be destroyed/assimilated respectively) quick ID isn't always possible....conversely, telling apart ORGANIC Shemarriansmight be difficult(especially if they have an innate...or perhaps unintentional... ability to mask their life signs and thoughts from technological and psionic probes)...And if the robotic Shemarrians began fighting over the organic Shemarrians(and casualties inflicted), the organics might then castigate ALL of the 'cold' Shemarrians as enemies, possibly demons in their own shape.
That could lead to a three-way civil war that would confuse outsiders even MORE.

Wow, yeah that Does seem pretty complicated when you throw the tribals into the mix :lol:

taalismn
Priest

DracoMagus wrote:Wow, yeah that Does seem pretty complicated when you throw the tribals into the mix :lol:

*THUNK*
"WE'VE BEEN 'POONED!"
"Is it ticking?"
"Wha__?! No! It's not! What does THAT have to do with anything?!"
"Don't worry, it's not an exploding warhead spear then...it's just a straightforward wood and obsidian spear...must be a bunch of Tribal Shemarrians...No, wait, crystalline head? Oh s%^$! We might still be in trouble! Get rid of it now!"
"Huh? Whattya me-"
*DELAYED EFFECT SPELL RELEASE*
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DracoMagus
Explorer

taalismn wrote:
DracoMagus wrote:Wow, yeah that Does seem pretty complicated when you throw the tribals into the mix :lol:

*THUNK*
"WE'VE BEEN 'POONED!"
"Is it ticking?"
"Wha__?! No! It's not! What does THAT have to do with anything?!"
"Don't worry, it's not an exploding warhead spear then...it's just a straightforward wood and obsidian spear...must be a bunch of Tribal Shemarrians...No, wait, crystalline head? Oh s%^$! We might still be in trouble! Get rid of it now!"
"Huh? Whattya me-"
*DELAYED EFFECT SPELL RELEASE*

:lol: That's great...

Another reason I came up with the dino taming bit was the image of a group of them riding into battle mounted on T-Rex's

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Ah, chaos...how I lurb it so :D

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

Unless you're the one being diddled by it...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

My Shemarrian creation... Hagan is a fraud and all his ideas came from things he saw. The Shemarrian are actually based off of a woman that saved him in the wilderness. She and her companion/mount are from a feudal world that had mastered nanotechnology. All the versions of the shemarrian in the book are the various modes of her nano suit. The various versions of the Monstrex arethe different modes of her companions nano suit.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

Since people have continued posting on this thread I am now giving additional thought on how to use the wolves.

I don't want my Warrior women to be doing anything except firing their BFGs. The Crane's provide transportation, dodging, shooting down missiles, melee and possibly tracking.

What other capabilities are we looking to the wolves for?
1. They could be useful for moving opponents into position where the rest of the squad can fire on them.
2. Disposable melee fighters, as the cranes are not disposable. Two for each Shemarrian, gets us to a proper pack (16).
3. Trackers - I want them to be disposable, the sensors possibly are better placed on the Cranes as they will not be used as cannon fodder. Hmm the sensors are probably cheap and do not weigh much, a net of 16 sensors around the unit would be good. Lets make the wolves the trackers. This also keeps the proper feel to both the wolves (hunters) and cranes (defensive mounts).

The problem I am having is that as melee fighters they will be the ones taking a lot of damage and quickly found to be robotic, unless the they are so high tech that when destroyed you can't tell they are robots? I the write up of the wolves doesn't mention anything, I don't recall it mentioning anything else where in the book. Perhaps I should re-think.. either 100% robot dogs or organic wolves?

If we go with robot dogs then everyone wonders more of where they are getting their tech from and how advanced their programming is. Also The mass of a wolf or berserker is 750 pounds, 900 for a warrior and 1200 for a crane. I mention this as Archie would mildly consider which would be the best use of resources...A second warrior could hold a BFG and be more useful than a wolf. He could also use the berserker's in the book (which I don't think are as optimal as other uses of resources).

So lets consider the organic possibilities. Something like a pack of grigleapers or phantom wolves to accompany each squad. There would be problems producing, feeding (they can't be easily turned off and hidden until needed), they also don't obey orders as well as bot dogs or give you as much intelligence. Also it wrecks the theme. So I guess they are out for the theme reason. I suppose I could consider something like two avian biomechs per Shemarrian - but they do not solve all the other problems.

Perhaps my best answer is that the wolves are so high tech that you can't tell they are robots even when you destroy them. Even then I still have the problem of them not being able to fly, which means they will not be able to keep up to the Cranes as I have given them bionic wings. I don't want to expend additional resources on the wolves, as they are just not as useful as Cranes or berserkers.

I can see a problem with berserkers moving at 120mph to put opponents into the right position (they have good looking human legs - why can they move so fast?). Mages would probably notice there was no magic if we drew the speed leg line drawings on them from SA. I could pretend they had some (possibly interior) hyperion juicer like conversion. Hmm thats good - it would explain a lot. You could probably load a second onto a Crane..they do have twice as many APM as the wolf and are scantily clad women. With no visible tech other than the antenai, I would consider an internal juicer conversion. I suppose the no autododge won't matter much since they will be in melee with 10APM and two swords (at least mine will). I see no problem with giving berserkers autododge, they are supposed to be good melee warriors, so no one would notice. Plus they can pickup and fire the BFG if one of their counterparts is taken down.

Hmmm two wolves vs. 1 berserker - they both really serve the same purpose (melee) but berserkers use half the resources. I've pretty much decided on a scantily clad berserker pretending to have an internal hyperion juicer like conversion. Thoughts?
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
taalismn
Priest

Go for it....the idea of additional androids posing as various classes, especially alien variations on the theme, is a good one. even if it does get away from A3's earlier philosophy of 'improving' on the human form by rendering it in some way mechanical.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
G
Adventurer

Re: Super Berserker Babe Bots

Unread post by G »

So I have thrown the wolf idea out - as the berserkers are technically superior, what should we do to make a better berserker babe bot?

Plan A: Each squad has 6 berserkers (who ride double with the warriors) and two berserker leaders riding wild cranes in addition to the two warchiefs have slightly improved mounts. When they enter combat the berserkers hop off.

Regular Berserker Babe Bots:
-Two Kremin multi-blades (they were free, there are lots of dead Kremin due to a demon/deevil war)
-skimpy md outfit (fur/leather - they take pride in killing and making their own clothing)

Plan B: Give all the berserkers feathered bionic wings. There are now two separate squads, who do not need to travel together.

Super Berserker Babe Bots:
-bionic wings
-a bow with interesting arrows (gives them a variety of options to deal with opponents)
-Two Kremin multi-blades (they were free, there are lots of dead Kremin due to a demon/deevil war)
-skimpy md outfit (fur/leather - they take pride in killing and making their own clothing)

I like Plan B so more more than plan A.

I suppose either plan could use forcefields or talismans of armor (if bots were able to use them). Just the 2 leaders or all of them if you like. Additionally, lets make the second in command of each squad free willed - that should make the squad much more deadly. Hmmm possibly only the two leaders have bows.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

I found my old story, sorry it hasn't been proof read:
More than One Way to Hack a Computer
A few years ago Hagan, before he became A.R.C.H.I.E.’s idea man, was traversing the wilderness; every moment of his life filled with fear, then he happened upon a woman sitting near a camp fire with her beast lying near her. From the side of her headdress arose two antennas. The shaggy beast laying beside her turned its snout to the forest in Hagan’s direction, dust kicked up as a paw moved to lift the massive body from the ground. She reached over and pat the beasts nose and said something to it, either too quiet or in a language he didn’t understand… yet. Her beast settled back down, she slid her half naked body up next to it and drew some sort of scaled hide blanket over her. The beast reached over and dragged its saddle, and the blanket connected to it, under its chin. Her antenna flicked the air as her friend sniffed. Then they seemed to go to sleep. Hagan cold, alone and scared, snuck into the camp as he neared them he realized how tall she was and how massive the beast as he neared the fire. As he closed the distance the beast suddenly moved with a grunt. Hagan jumped out of the clearing back into the woods heart racing. The beast was now on its side, all of its legs out in one direction. The woman had slid off onto the dirt. She slid over to a paw and the beast drew her toward it. She smacked its side and said something in a chastising tone, it simply smirked. They went back to sleep. Hagan needed warmth, he knew he was on the verge of hypothermia and would die unless he got some… guess he should have learned how to make a fire. He scooted close to the fire and as he watched for any sign of movement he fell asleep.
In the morning he awoke to a lot of hot air moving over him and the sound of a very large beast sniffing very close to him. The feminine voice from last night was close and loud enough for him to hear yet he could not understand. He laid there motionless, hardly even breathing. The sniffing stopped and a very close and inhumanly deep and guttural voice responded to the female… IT spoke!? She grunted, and then it did as its feet shuffled away from him. He cracked his eyes to try to see what was going on and as he looked up out of the corner of his eye he got a view he’d never forget, and one few men see. As he looked up she stepped over him, and his eyes grew wide. Hagan knows what her species wears under their loincloths or skirts. If asked he remains silent but gets that whimsical look, when you recall a fond memory, with a big cheesy grin. The moment was a flash, though the whole thing plays in slow motion in his head, as she stepped over and walked toward their gear. His moment of erotic fantasy was also short lived as he felt thuds coming closer from behind him. Then a claw passed through his hair before hitting the ground, then big eyes, then darkness, and as he got snorted on a little monster boogey hit him in the face. Then the worst image he’d ever see, the beast was bearing its fangs in a snarl inches from his face. He squeezed his eyes shut as the rest of the beast passed over him. He cracked his eyes again just in time to see the beast’s tail come down and slap him. His face was stinging but he knew that a beast of that size could have caused much more damage. He watched it walk over to the woman and as she was putting, what he thought was a blanket, on as a cape connecting it to the chest plate and pauldron she had been wearing all night. It snickered as it spoke to her and as she spun around to look at Hagan he got another glance as her fast movement caused her apparently heavy loincloth to skew to one side… the carpet matched the drapes. Her cape billowed out but then began to stick to her from top to bottom increasing mass and rigidity over vital or non-flexible parts and separating into cable like mail over a body suit at the joints and other flexible parts. Hagan could see her cheeks were flush, he hoped in embarrassment as her face did not seem to display any anger, but then she started stepping toward him. His eyes popped open and he tried getting to his feet, only successful in pushing himself across the ground. She quickly reached him and put her hand out. Hagan flinched and closed his eyes expecting his life to end. Nothing happened; he heard the beast laugh and he opened his eyes. She was still standing there her hand outstretched, her face still flush, but her beautiful blue eyes were smiling and she wore a sheepish grin on her perfect face. He put his hand in hers and she helped him up. Then she looked at him put her hand together in front of her face, which now seemed to have a pleading look upon it, then she said something in her language. She realized he couldn’t understand so she stood there for a minute thinking; all the while Hagan studied her face and her green hair. After a couple seconds she did the pleading hands again followed by the talking hand, the quieting finger on the talking hand, pointing at him, then both of her eyes then down. Hagan figured out that she didn’t want him to talk about his religious experience, when he said it the right way she nodded… apparently her translator worked. The woman went on with her business, she threw the saddle and blanket onto her beast picked up two staff looking weapons that had triggers and collapsed on their own when she went to place them on her back. Two other staff weapons she picked up collapsed into something like a knife these she stuck into concealed sheaths on her thighs and finally she picked up two different rifles that she put into sheaths on the beasts saddle, that weren't there just a minute ago. She looked at Hagan and said something and then motioned to him. Hagan asked if she wanted him to come with her and she nodded her head. She flung herself up onto the saddle and offered her hand. Hagan took it and almost pulled his arm out of joint as she jerked him off his feet.
A few days had passed as Hagan traveled with the woman his translator finally picked up her language. He learned that her name was Saila and the beast was her friend and pack mate Sarkus who spoke the same language. She never again assumed the minimal armor mode, probably too embarrassed, he did however notice that she was getting uncomfortable in the full armor after about the second day. He learned about their culture and was starting to grow bored of her near continual talking when he was rolling his eyes and just happened to notice a guy in a tree dressed in CS armor. He yelled and with a single move she knocked him to the ground on the opposite side of Sarkus from the scout and leapt toward the Deadboy. Sarkus spun to face that direction and in that instant went from some near cuddly mutant wolf grizzly cross to a titanic armored dreadnaught armed and armored to the teeth, well… except for the teeth. Sarkus fired some shots that seemed to be aimed at Saila which she deftly avoided as if it was planned; the shots hit the tree, shattering the trunk. As the tree fell with the soldier in it Saila, still flying through the air, pulled one of the knives which immediately extended to the length of a halberd, and spun it. She landed on the same branch as the trooper, the first strike hit him square in the helmet and cut into it, he was surely a goner but as she spun around for a second strike the helmet fell from his head in two parts and she struck him with the blunt end with a crack he was most certainly dead before he hit the ground she landed over him a foot on each side of his torso. The tree was still falling and her last slash with the halberd sliced it in two pieces which fell on either side of them. Sarkus now looking as he did before the battle came over, took a deep breath, and exhaled on the unconscious human. The human shook his head like he smelled something foul and immediately came to consciousness. Saila asked him if there were any others and the man unable to understand and realizing she was that much more alien scowled at her and told her that if she did not release him the others would surely descend on her and slaughter her and her entire family… apparently the wrong thing to say to her as the knife she held extended into a spear burying its blade in his throat, likely severing his spine. As she turned her armor seemed to stiffen and the cable mail flattened out into plate her head crest rose and separated as another antenna came out, the three were busy flicking the air to find the "others." After a couple minutes passed her armor reverted to the previous mode as they began to remount Sarkus her antenna shot straight up into the air moments before a far off crash could be heard. Sarkus spun around knocking Hagan off the trail and into the forest. As Hagan watched all the plates of Saila’s head dress stood on end and two extra antennas slid out, the cable mail went flat again and the dense armored portions seemed to grow. A pack of some sort extruded from the suits back and blades seemed to sprout from everywhere. As he looked on her image seemed to blur as if he was looking at her across hot desert sand… the suit was producing massive amounts of heat. Out of the forest crashed the large skull headed mass of a UAR-1 Robot which immediately launched missiles. Sarkus, armored up again, fired a spray of laser beams into the volley detonating several causing a chain reaction that destroyed the rest. The giant robot started firing its cannon and Saila nimbly dodged the first shot almost purposefully into the next shot which hit her and sent her spinning into the air. Fragments of her armor flew off in all directions and her bare shoulder could be seen. Sarkus leapt behind her and jumped into the air side swiping her mid air, Saila’s feet hit Sarkus’ side stopping her spin and giving her a springboard. Her armor looked like it was regenerating, her shoulder now hidden under the material. She leapt off Sarkus’ side and landed on the UAR-1’s shoulder. The UAR-1 immediately started swatting itself in an attempt to dismount her. Her armor, fully regrown, new blades popped out. She dodged the clumsy strikes and stabbed a morph blade spear into each eye, which she then used to perform amazing acrobatic feats. The secondary sensor tower allowed the pilot to continue attacks, though they were even more clumsy and hardly had to be dodged. As she flipped and danced around the UAR’s head she ripped blades from her armor and buried them deep into the hoses in the neck, then she pulled both of the staff cannons off her back and fired one against the side of the head which caused it to rip free of the body, the other she shot down the neck of the robot directly into the cockpit. The UAR stumbled with smoke billowing out of its neck she flipped off, landing a few feet in front of it, facing it on a knee and a fist; both the staffs had been replaced on her back sometime during the flip. As she rose, a volley of missiles fired straight up from her pack. The UAR-1 collapsed to its knees almost on top of her but then fell backwards and at that moment the volley she released a moment earlier landed on target, pummeling the chest. She turned toward the forest, and Hagan saw her face… at least her eyes as her mouth was covered in a predatory looking mask, but her eyes were full of rage. Hagan ran into the woods and never saw either of them again.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
taalismn
Priest

NIce addition to the mythology of the Shemarrians.(g)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:NIce addition to the mythology of the Shemarrians.(g)

Why, thank you. :oops: Umm... what is the (g) for?
taalismn
Priest

(Grin)...I was using the quick-reply option...

Just thought of another thing for my Ecotroz setting or even the regular Shemarrian setting....Shemarrian robot/cyborg horse rustlers...
Or maybe juryrigging salvaged Kittani Equestrian Armors into warsteeds or 'mules'...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Shemar Robotic Capture Gear

The Males had found the bunker on one of their hunting trips; it was so well-hidden that even they had stumbled across it only by accident. They might have bypassed it but for the telltales that it was active...a leak of EM radiation where there should have been only cold ruins. It had intrigued them enough to report it back to their Tribe, and the Tribe Elders had sent a larger party back to investigate. Such finds had yielded riches in the past, and, it was to be considered, as of late the Dark One had taken to greater measures to conceal its own caches.
They’d easily bypassed the crude defenses outside the bunker, and gained access to its interior easily enough, and had found themselves in a small warehouse of collected weapons, equipment, vehicle parts, and other materials. Whoever had set the cache up had relied too much on it remaining hidden in the first place to spend much time and effort setting up elaborate autonomous defenses.
Then two female humanoids had shown up and attacked them. That one was equipped with some sort of bubble-spewing weapon that had managed to knock down WarSister Kalah was unexpected. The other was equipped with a more conventional laser weapon that could have done more damage, were it not for the wielder’s inexperience with the device.
But it was BattleLeader Shia’s experience that allowed her to sense immediately that the two women, as inexperienced in combat as they were, were also akin to the Shemar....Not of the Shemar or Shemarrians, but enough alike to intrigue her and decide her next actions.
“Take them alive!” She commanded her battle-sisters, without irony. Her command stayed the hand and response of her seasoned warriors, who might have otherwise have instantly slain such opposition on the spot.
The element of surprise lost, the two were no match for the superior combat prowess of the Shemar; they were quickly overpowered; their few weapons either stripped from them or otherwise neutralized. The two were pushed to the floor, their limbs bound with steel-tough leather and shackle-chain.
Shia’s Ecotroz-umbra probed and surrounded the pinned captives; she could sense they were not Enlightened...not yet...But they were different...Both less and other than the Shemar....They were stunned by her Ecotroz-umbra, but not yet affected by its Enlightenment...She could sense they were simple mechanisms, but with Potential...and they doubtlessly had information of who was responsible for setting up the bunker and its contents...Information that might be lost to simple self-destruct mechanisms if Shia and her band pushed Enlightenment on unfamiliar systemry too hard...
BattleSister Kora stepped foward, a pair of governor restraints in her hand. Shia approved of the younger Shemar’s foresight; she had guessed what her BattleLeader’s intent was when she had given the order to take prisoners, and had fetched the harnesses from their steeds.
Stunned by the umbra-touch, docilated by the restraint fields of their bindings, the two prisoners were matched off to the waiting WarSteeds, to be taken back to the Tribe’s camp to be interrogated and studied by the Elders and Lifecraftswomen, and they would decide what to do with them, while Shia’s team catalogued the contents of the bunker for possible acquisition. They quickly found two stalls in the back of the lair; evidentally the two would-be defenders had been activated when Shia’s team breached the inner walls. That explained why they had not been detected until they actually engaged the Tribeswomen. Shia was eager to know what the Elders would decide of the two whose origins she had sensed as ‘sensualoid’ and those they served.

As the Ecotroz Shemar have expanded their small empire, adding converted Shemarrian-kin, Enlightened robots, and NeShemar, it has not always been possible, or preferable, to instantly infect and convert other cybernetic organisms to their cause. Sometimes it is necessary to take prisoners for study or interrogation. Knocking out a robot or cyborg isn’t easy; few such organisms can be physically stunned and incapacitated without doing them serious structural damage. To enable their forces to be able to take such targets alive/intact, the clever Spinsters of the Ecotroz Shemar have come up with a few special weapons:

*Pulse-Puncher---A push-dagger or gauntlet-like weapon that produces a short range blast of ion-pumped EM energy. The Ecotroz Shemar copied this weapon’s technology from several other sources and adapted it to their own needs. It has also been adapted to use on polearm-style weapons.
Range: Touch or 50 ft
Damage:
This weapon does 5d6 EMP damage(no physical damage) per strike. The resulting percentage of the target location MDC is the chance of shutdown/disablement. All damage is cumulative. Damage in excess of 50% target MDC will require repair to make it functional; 75% or more damage will require replacement of the entire electrical system. Does double damage to non-shielded civilian systems. Bionics are -1 to dodge, roll, and strike for the affected limb/system, lasting 1d4 melees, non-cumulative, before the system resets itself.
On an unmodified roll of 18-20, it causes unshielded BIONICS and robots to spasm for 1d4 melees(Cyborg is at HALF bonuses to strike, parry, dodge, roll, and is -3 to initiative. Reduce speed by HALF).
Payload: E-clip provides 15 strikes
Cost: Not generally available to outsiders, but would bring 30,000 credits or more if made available on the Black Market.

*Overload Net---A metallic net that is charged to produce a powerful EM field that can temporarily short out artificial command/control systems. It is less effective against organic targets.
This weapon can be used on cyborgs, vehicles, and robots, but must cover the target completely. It is typically slung and thrown, though launched versions are also possible. The nets are reusable.
Range: Melee; must be covered by the net; net covers a 15 ft area
Damage:
Heavy high-tensile strength megadamage (60 MDC) steel cable net; takes four melee actions/attacks to untangle self(half that for creatures with supernatural PS of 50 or higher)...in the meantime, the victim CANNOT strike or parry, is -2 to dodge, and reduce speed by 90%
Shock Effects: Does 2d4 SDC per melee that the victim struggles against the net(none if they just go lax), plus:
01-15: No damage/effect
16-30 Instruments/sensors flicker out, before coming back online in 1d4 seconds. Target loses Initiative.
31-45 All weapons temporarily out, and minor electrical fires. One system comes back online in 1d4 melee rds.
46-60 All systems temporarily out, and minor electrical fires. -30% to piloting skills if target is a manned vehicle. Systems come back online after 1d4 melee rds.
61-75 Communications, radar, and targeting are disabled, but weapons systems are unaffected. -3 to strike and no initiative. Damage requires physical repair.
76-90 Instruments are completely totaled. If a manned vehicle, the following skill penalties apply; -25% at one-third of maximum speed, -50% at HALF maximum speed, and -75% at full speed. NO initiative roll, -3 to dodge(-5 if an AI), -3 to strike(-5 if an AI), and lose one action per melee round(2 if an AI). Typically, AI systems will shut down most of their systems, trip any circuit breakers, and be capable of only the most basic movement.
91-00 Total knockput. Controls do not respond, and machine is out of control. Crash/collapse/total shutdown within 2d4 melees.
Cost: Not generally available to outsiders, but would bring 18,000 credits or more if made available on the Black Market.

*Governor Harness---A set of conduits, coils, charged plates, and short-range generators that produce an intense localized EM field capable of disrupting a robot’s command-control signals and interfering with the operation of their actuator systems. Depending on their size and power, the Governor Harness can be a large massive affair like a rack, or concealed sewn into a leather covering. They are typically combined with traditional restaint shackles to inhibit a cyborg’s or robot’s movements.
This weapon can also be used on cyborgs
Weight: 50-250 lbs
MDC: 40 MDC to 100 MDC for the heavier rigs
Effects: Placed in contact with a robot or cyborg, the powerful localized EM field results (in 1d4 melees) in the affected mechanism losing initiative, and being -6 to strike, parry. dodge, and reduce speed by 75%(HALF penalties, regular initiative, and reduce speed by 25% if the target is hardened against EMP). Movements will be jerky and halting.
Besides the nuetralizer effect, heavier Governor Harnesses will be outright restraint harnesses, preventing the movement of arms(and possibly legs) or limiting movement to a Speeds of 5 or less.
Cost: Not generally available to outsiders, but would bring 90,000 credits or more if made available on the Black Market.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DracoMagus
Explorer

Zer0 Kay wrote:I found my old story, sorry it hasn't been proof read:
More than One Way to Hack a Computer
A few years ago Hagan, before he became A.R.C.H.I.E.’s idea man, was traversing the wilderness; every moment of his life filled with fear, then he happened upon a woman sitting near a camp fire with her beast lying near her. From the side of her headdress arose two antennas. The shaggy beast laying beside her turned its snout to the forest in Hagan’s direction, dust kicked up as a paw moved to lift the massive body from the ground. She reached over and pat the beasts nose and said something to it, either too quiet or in a language he didn’t understand… yet. Her beast settled back down, she slid her half naked body up next to it and drew some sort of scaled hide blanket over her. The beast reached over and dragged its saddle, and the blanket connected to it, under its chin. Her antenna flicked the air as her friend sniffed. Then they seemed to go to sleep. Hagan cold, alone and scared, snuck into the camp as he neared them he realized how tall she was and how massive the beast as he neared the fire. As he closed the distance the beast suddenly moved with a grunt. Hagan jumped out of the clearing back into the woods heart racing. The beast was now on its side, all of its legs out in one direction. The woman had slid off onto the dirt. She slid over to a paw and the beast drew her toward it. She smacked its side and said something in a chastising tone, it simply smirked. They went back to sleep. Hagan needed warmth, he knew he was on the verge of hypothermia and would die unless he got some… guess he should have learned how to make a fire. He scooted close to the fire and as he watched for any sign of movement he fell asleep.
In the morning he awoke to a lot of hot air moving over him and the sound of a very large beast sniffing very close to him. The feminine voice from last night was close and loud enough for him to hear yet he could not understand. He laid there motionless, hardly even breathing. The sniffing stopped and a very close and inhumanly deep and guttural voice responded to the female… IT spoke!? She grunted, and then it did as its feet shuffled away from him. He cracked his eyes to try to see what was going on and as he looked up out of the corner of his eye he got a view he’d never forget, and one few men see. As he looked up she stepped over him, and his eyes grew wide. Hagan knows what her species wears under their loincloths or skirts. If asked he remains silent but gets that whimsical look, when you recall a fond memory, with a big cheesy grin. The moment was a flash, though the whole thing plays in slow motion in his head, as she stepped over and walked toward their gear. His moment of erotic fantasy was also short lived as he felt thuds coming closer from behind him. Then a claw passed through his hair before hitting the ground, then big eyes, then darkness, and as he got snorted on a little monster boogey hit him in the face. Then the worst image he’d ever see, the beast was bearing its fangs in a snarl inches from his face. He squeezed his eyes shut as the rest of the beast passed over him. He cracked his eyes again just in time to see the beast’s tail come down and slap him. His face was stinging but he knew that a beast of that size could have caused much more damage. He watched it walk over to the woman and as she was putting, what he thought was a blanket, on as a cape connecting it to the chest plate and pauldron she had been wearing all night. It snickered as it spoke to her and as she spun around to look at Hagan he got another glance as her fast movement caused her apparently heavy loincloth to skew to one side… the carpet matched the drapes. Her cape billowed out but then began to stick to her from top to bottom increasing mass and rigidity over vital or non-flexible parts and separating into cable like mail over a body suit at the joints and other flexible parts. Hagan could see her cheeks were flush, he hoped in embarrassment as her face did not seem to display any anger, but then she started stepping toward him. His eyes popped open and he tried getting to his feet, only successful in pushing himself across the ground. She quickly reached him and put her hand out. Hagan flinched and closed his eyes expecting his life to end. Nothing happened; he heard the beast laugh and he opened his eyes. She was still standing there her hand outstretched, her face still flush, but her beautiful blue eyes were smiling and she wore a sheepish grin on her perfect face. He put his hand in hers and she helped him up. Then she looked at him put her hand together in front of her face, which now seemed to have a pleading look upon it, then she said something in her language. She realized he couldn’t understand so she stood there for a minute thinking; all the while Hagan studied her face and her green hair. After a couple seconds she did the pleading hands again followed by the talking hand, the quieting finger on the talking hand, pointing at him, then both of her eyes then down. Hagan figured out that she didn’t want him to talk about his religious experience, when he said it the right way she nodded… apparently her translator worked. The woman went on with her business, she threw the saddle and blanket onto her beast picked up two staff looking weapons that had triggers and collapsed on their own when she went to place them on her back. Two other staff weapons she picked up collapsed into something like a knife these she stuck into concealed sheaths on her thighs and finally she picked up two different rifles that she put into sheaths on the beasts saddle, that weren't there just a minute ago. She looked at Hagan and said something and then motioned to him. Hagan asked if she wanted him to come with her and she nodded her head. She flung herself up onto the saddle and offered her hand. Hagan took it and almost pulled his arm out of joint as she jerked him off his feet.
A few days had passed as Hagan traveled with the woman his translator finally picked up her language. He learned that her name was Saila and the beast was her friend and pack mate Sarkus who spoke the same language. She never again assumed the minimal armor mode, probably too embarrassed, he did however notice that she was getting uncomfortable in the full armor after about the second day. He learned about their culture and was starting to grow bored of her near continual talking when he was rolling his eyes and just happened to notice a guy in a tree dressed in CS armor. He yelled and with a single move she knocked him to the ground on the opposite side of Sarkus from the scout and leapt toward the Deadboy. Sarkus spun to face that direction and in that instant went from some near cuddly mutant wolf grizzly cross to a titanic armored dreadnaught armed and armored to the teeth, well… except for the teeth. Sarkus fired some shots that seemed to be aimed at Saila which she deftly avoided as if it was planned; the shots hit the tree, shattering the trunk. As the tree fell with the soldier in it Saila, still flying through the air, pulled one of the knives which immediately extended to the length of a halberd, and spun it. She landed on the same branch as the trooper, the first strike hit him square in the helmet and cut into it, he was surely a goner but as she spun around for a second strike the helmet fell from his head in two parts and she struck him with the blunt end with a crack he was most certainly dead before he hit the ground she landed over him a foot on each side of his torso. The tree was still falling and her last slash with the halberd sliced it in two pieces which fell on either side of them. Sarkus now looking as he did before the battle came over, took a deep breath, and exhaled on the unconscious human. The human shook his head like he smelled something foul and immediately came to consciousness. Saila asked him if there were any others and the man unable to understand and realizing she was that much more alien scowled at her and told her that if she did not release him the others would surely descend on her and slaughter her and her entire family… apparently the wrong thing to say to her as the knife she held extended into a spear burying its blade in his throat, likely severing his spine. As she turned her armor seemed to stiffen and the cable mail flattened out into plate her head crest rose and separated as another antenna came out, the three were busy flicking the air to find the "others." After a couple minutes passed her armor reverted to the previous mode as they began to remount Sarkus her antenna shot straight up into the air moments before a far off crash could be heard. Sarkus spun around knocking Hagan off the trail and into the forest. As Hagan watched all the plates of Saila’s head dress stood on end and two extra antennas slid out, the cable mail went flat again and the dense armored portions seemed to grow. A pack of some sort extruded from the suits back and blades seemed to sprout from everywhere. As he looked on her image seemed to blur as if he was looking at her across hot desert sand… the suit was producing massive amounts of heat. Out of the forest crashed the large skull headed mass of a UAR-1 Robot which immediately launched missiles. Sarkus, armored up again, fired a spray of laser beams into the volley detonating several causing a chain reaction that destroyed the rest. The giant robot started firing its cannon and Saila nimbly dodged the first shot almost purposefully into the next shot which hit her and sent her spinning into the air. Fragments of her armor flew off in all directions and her bare shoulder could be seen. Sarkus leapt behind her and jumped into the air side swiping her mid air, Saila’s feet hit Sarkus’ side stopping her spin and giving her a springboard. Her armor looked like it was regenerating, her shoulder now hidden under the material. She leapt off Sarkus’ side and landed on the UAR-1’s shoulder. The UAR-1 immediately started swatting itself in an attempt to dismount her. Her armor, fully regrown, new blades popped out. She dodged the clumsy strikes and stabbed a morph blade spear into each eye, which she then used to perform amazing acrobatic feats. The secondary sensor tower allowed the pilot to continue attacks, though they were even more clumsy and hardly had to be dodged. As she flipped and danced around the UAR’s head she ripped blades from her armor and buried them deep into the hoses in the neck, then she pulled both of the staff cannons off her back and fired one against the side of the head which caused it to rip free of the body, the other she shot down the neck of the robot directly into the cockpit. The UAR stumbled with smoke billowing out of its neck she flipped off, landing a few feet in front of it, facing it on a knee and a fist; both the staffs had been replaced on her back sometime during the flip. As she rose, a volley of missiles fired straight up from her pack. The UAR-1 collapsed to its knees almost on top of her but then fell backwards and at that moment the volley she released a moment earlier landed on target, pummeling the chest. She turned toward the forest, and Hagan saw her face… at least her eyes as her mouth was covered in a predatory looking mask, but her eyes were full of rage. Hagan ran into the woods and never saw either of them again.

Wow... Just, Wow. Another idea could be that the "Tribal Shemarrians" I came up with could have been what this one's culture was before they discovered the nanotech....obviously with some modifications. but that's just me finding a new idea for my plug (or maybe whackin a stinky Mr Ed, who knows).

taalismn
Priest

Ecotroz Shemar WarSteeds(‘Frankensteeds’)
Since their sundering of the control of ARCHIE-3, the Ecotroz Shemar have been scrambling to establish logistical independence, finding ways to extend their available supplies, repair broken and scavenged equipment, and find ways to manufacture more of their own, since they are no longer being resupplied by ARCHIE-3. While the campaign of hunting other Shemarrians and ARCHIE-3 creations and converting them to their cause(or scavenging what they can from their remains) works well, they cannot rely on such tactics as ARCHIE-3 grows wiser as to his disappearing legions. Currently, the Shemar have been focusing their research and manufacturing efforts on producing new small arms and ammunition, rather than heavier equipment. Another concern is Warsteeds; while they still acquire new ones by ‘corrupting’ ARCHIE-3 creations, again, that supply is not reliable. Currently, though, the Shemar have been focusing their reproductive efforts on producing new Shemar, and, to a lesser extent, producing NeShemar ‘adoptees’ to fill out their ranks, rather than replicate the Monstrex, Monster-Crane, and other Warsteeds.
To plug gaps in their ride-pool, and provide PROPER(the Shemar tend to regard conventional vehicles with disdain, prefering animal-like robots) transport for Sisters who have lost their rides, and for the NeShemar and other camp followers, the Shemar have turned to salvaging robot horses and the like. There have even been reports of Shemar(but typically NeShemar) ‘roborustlers’ stealing robot and cyborg horses. However, another source of rides, increasingly seen among the Shemar, are ‘frankensteeds’ cobbled together from battlefield salvage. The Shemar are paticularly fond of Kittani salvage, hunting the Kittanis’ animal-inspired power armors and slaying the operators(head and upper torso shots being the favored method) for the rest of their hardware. It often takes several such kills(depending on how much damage was done in dropping the Minion) to yield enough parts for one conglomerate frankensteed, but that’s several less Minions running around loose, and one more warsteed among the Ecotroz Shemar.

Ecotroz Shemar Monstropede

“Asmodeis’s Rotting Hells! I think those crawlers are packing Katyushas!!! What the damnation are the Shemarrians doing with ARTILLERY?!”
“Looking set to rain some H-E-’el down on us! We’re buggering out NOW!!!”

The Monstropede is a robotic vehicle kludged together from battlefield pickings by the EcoTroz Spinsters to stretch their limited resources. The robot is constructed from salvaged parts of Kittani vehicles, primarily the Kittani Centipede power armor, and skinned in available armor, including megadamage leather and monster hide, lending a rather patchwork or piebald appearance. Unlike the Monstro-Crane and Monstrex, the Monstropede is KNOWN to be a robot vehicle, and not a cyborg animal(though rumors persist that the Shemar use animal brains to cyborgize the Centipede frames).
Because of both the limited resources available to the Ecotroz, and because few Kittani mecha survive encounters with the Shemar wholly intact, it typically takes 6-10 Centipede wrecks to make up one Monstropede, meaning that the design is fairly rare among the Shemar.
Because of the limited manufacturing capacity of the Ecotroz, they cannot supply their forces in the field with reliable supplies of missiles(they can produce small arms and rail gun ammunition in quantity, but not larger projectiles), the original missile launchers have been cut back or dropped entirely from the Monstropede design(only about 20% of the ‘bots retain their original mini-missile systems). Instead, the tubular spines are used to cradle cargo, or are sharpened for melee combat.
Monstropedes are typically used to haul Shemar wagons and work with their support groups(such as Spinster salvage teams). Though armed and combat-capable, they rarely join in the forefront of combat, unless on the defensive, and usually use their superior strength/hauling ability to carry stand-off weapons like heavy rail guns and energy projectors for support fire. The Monstropede HAS been infected with a low-level Ecotroz intelligence.
Type: EcoS-K-1 Monstropede
Class: Robotic Beast of Burden
Crew: None; robot intelligence
1-6 Shemar or twice that number of smaller beings can ride on top of the Monstropede
MDC/Armor by Location:
Head 240+2d4x10
Centipede Jaws 120
Laser Eyes(2) 50 each
Body Segments(10) 100+1d6x10 each
Legs(20) 30 each
Back Tubes/Spines(18, two each body segment except the first) 20 each
Height: 5 ft at head
Width: 10 ft foot to foot, 8 ft shoulder to shoulder
Length: 30 ft
Weight: 5 tons
Cargo: Whatever can be tied on the back of the robot. Can carry about 5,000 lbs and pull 10,000 lbs
Physical Strength: Robotic P.S. of 50
Powerplant: Nuclear w/ 20 year energy life
Speed: (Running) 35 MPH(lighter weight)
(Leaping) Not possible
(Climbing) Can climb with a skill proficiency of 85%; sheer surfaces can be scaled at 60%
(Flying) Not possible!
(Underwater) Can run along the bottom at 7.5 MPH. Maximum depth of 2,000 ft
Market Cost: Exclusive to the Ecotroz-Shemar
Systems of Note:
Full optical systems, laser targeting, passive nightvision, telescopic vision, thermal imaging, infrared, ultraviolet, and polarization filters. Also has motion and heat detection, built-in radar( 3 mile range) and other standard power armor-equivalent systems. Additional/special sensors may be built in by the creating Spinsters or at the behest of individual riders/owners.

*Bionic Cybernanite Repair Systems---About 40% of Monstropede ‘bots have the same bionic nanotech repair system that the Ecotroz Shemar have refitted themselves with, and which is becoming the standard among NeShemar as well. These systems repair 4d6 MD per hour, and can repair 40 MDC before needing material stocks to convert to MD repair material.

Weapons Systems:
1) Eye Lasers(2)---These are holdovers from the original design; useful for clearing brush and trail obstacles.
Range: 3,000 ft
Damage: 3d6 MD for one eye blast, 6d6 MD for both firing simultaneously
Payload: Effectively Unlimited

2)(Optional) Short-Missile Launchers(2-18)--Because of the limited production facilities available to the largely nomadic Ecotroz, they cannot afford to rely on ammunition-dependent heavy ordnance. Their battles and raids on the Splugorth Minions rarely garner large amounts of usable expendable ordnance, and their trade with other powers is limited, so what stockpiles of missiles the Ecotroz acquire are carefully horded for special circumstances. Only about 20% of the Monstropedes carry the original SRM launcher tubes; few, if any, have the full complement of eighteen tubes
Range: Varies by Missile Type(Short Range Missile)
Damage:Varies by Missile Type(Short Range Missile)
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1-12, depending on the number of tubes mounted
Payload: 3 per tube

3)(Optional) Back-mounted Heavy Weapons---In place of the original SRMLs, the Monstropede can carry a scavenged heavy weapon of some sort, such as one to three Shemarrian Rail Guns on a common mounting, but typically non-Shemarrian/Shemar weaponry bought, traded, or salvaged from other sources. Such weaponry configurations encountered include 20mm and 30mm cannons, automatic grenade launchers, mortars, rail guns(including BoomGuns), plasma projectors, and other rocket launchers, in one-or-two gun mounts, and even a six-shot Katyusha launcher(detailed below).
Weight: (Rocket)
(Short) 102 lbs
(Long) 170 lbs
Typical multi-battery launcher can weigh 600 lbs to 5 tons.
Range:(Short) 7 miles
(Long) 13 miles
Damage: Both missile types use a 122mm warhead, typically the following warhead types(damage may vary as much as 50% by the quality of warhead manufacture):
(Fragmentation) 1d6x10 MD to a 60 ft blast radius
(Incendiary) 1d4x10 MD to a 50 ft blast radius, plus 01-75% chance of setting combustible materials aflame
(High Explosive) 2d6x10 MD to a 20 ft blast radius
(Plasma) 3d4x10 MD to a 40 ft blast radius
(Smoke) Covers a 100 ft area in thick obscuring smoke. Typically disperses within 1d6 melees, depending on local wind and humidity conditions.
(Chemical) Varies, but typically used to dispense CS or nerve agents(currently only the Sovietskii uses chemical munitions, though it is rumored that Warlord Sokolov has been seeking to acquire such weapons). Typically covers a 100 ft area. Like the smoke, local weather conditions determine the dispersal rate.
(Submunition)---Detonates airburst style over the target and scatters a small cloud of grenade-like sub-mines, that can be used to infilade an area with contact explosives or delayed-fuze mines. Carries over 18 submunitions, scattering over a 100 ft area, and doing 5d6 MD to a 10 ft blast radius each.
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1-6
Payload: 1-6 tubes can be carried
Penalties: Katyushas use the standard rules for unguided artillery with regard to deviation from target. Best fired in salvoes of 4 or more rockets.
Cost: A typical Katyusha launcher costs 18,000 credits per tube, missiles cost 5,000 credits for short range, 10,000 credits for long, plus the cost per warhead; Fragmentation costs 45,000 credits, Incendiary 60,000 credits, High Explosive 70,000 credits, plasma 100,000 credits, smoke 800 credits, sub-munitions 120,000 credits.

4)(Optional) Tail Weapons---Occasionally Monstropedes have been seen fitted with an additional melee weapon on the end of their tails, such as a spare set of biting mandibles(4d6 MD) or an extra length of tail from a Serpent Power Armor(adds about 10 ft to length and 100 MDC, and has a 2d6 MD tail strike, 3d6 MD tail blade strike, and 6d6 MD two-attack power strike).

Programming:
The Ecotroz have scavenged the AIs from terrestrial-make labor robots or robot horses, and upgraded them as best they can, then infected the matrix with a low-level Ecotroz sentience.
Typically has the following:
Navigation 40%(+5% per level of experience for Ecotroz entity)
Climbing 85%(does not increase with experience)
The Ecotroz entity can also pick up two Secondary skills at levels 2, 6, and 12 of experience, though the nature of the Monstropede intelligence and design is such that it is limited to skill selections from Technical: Language(understanding).
Actions/Attacks Per Melee: 4
Initiative +1(From Ecotroz entity)
Dodge +1(From Ecotroz entity)
Strike +2
Roll +2(From Ecotroz entity)
Leg Jab 1d4 MD
Mandible Bite 4d6 MD
Body Block/Tackle 1d4 MD
Note: The Ecotroz intelligence fragment inhabiting the ‘bot gives the Monstropede an aura and behavior more befitting an animal than a robot; the Monstropede may complain non-verbally when overworked, scream when damaged, and react to intruders or strangers appropriately. The Monstropede entity is rather dumb and dull-witted(roughly equivalent to an IQ of 5).
The Monstropede has the following Natural Psionic Abilities(no ISP Cost), all equivalent to 5th level with regards to range and proficiency.
*Sense Evil
*Sense Magic

The Ecotroz fragment does occasionally need sleep/rest...though they only need 2 hours of rest/meditation per 24 hours...they can push this, going without for as many days as they have I.Q. points, but will have to go dormant for 4d6 hours after such exertion.
Susceptible to Exorcism and Banish spells, but are +6 to save against such spells, +1 at levels 4, 8, and 12 of experience, and becoming IMMUNE at level 14 and up. Such Banishment causes the ‘bot to revert to its default robot programming. (OPTION: Ecotroz may become IMMUNE to Exorcism and Banishment with experience)

Note also that the Ecotroz-possessed ‘bot can infect other bots with the Ecotroz viral-entity, by bite or sustained touch(takes 3 attacks).
Last edited by taalismn on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”