Enchanted Weapon Question

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Enchanted Weapon Question

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Instantly.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

My version says you can let someone borrow it and "if seperated for more than 72 hours, the character will automatically return to his ordinary human form and the weapon will become inert"

I figure that is a reasonable rule for being seperated.

Man Nekira's games gotta be hardcore . . . Ok you throw your magical tomahawk, as it leaves you're hand you lose all your powers . . . yeah I know you choose the power of "returns to wielder when thrown" but that only works if you have it in your possession :-D
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

I've always read it as any powers belong to the weapon, not the user. So any powers could only be activated while holding the weapon, but should the wielder be disarmed for some reason, I would allow a "grace period" for any power that the hero currently has active. Either the normal duration of the power listed (if it has one) or 10 minutes of time during separation per level of the weapon. Such a time limit would make it imperative that the hero recover his weapon as quickly as possible. I believe that for a time such a restriction was placed on Thor's hammer during the time it was used by the future Thunderstrike.

I'm in agreement with Mephisto concerning the invisibility factor, but I would also apply my time restriction. If the hero doesn't recover the weapon quickly, the invisibility would cancel out and leave him visible and in street clothing and the weapon exposed.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Al Blotto
Wanderer

Unread post by Al Blotto »

Book says you can willingly lend someone your weapon and let them use its powers while you are still in hero form. You can't transform back to your mortal form without the weapon and if separated for more than 72 hours, you transform back into your ordinary form and the sword is inert. Until you are reunited. It's pretty clear.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Al Blotto wrote:Book says you can willingly lend someone your weapon and let them use its powers while you are still in hero form. You can't transform back to your mortal form without the weapon and if separated for more than 72 hours, you transform back into your ordinary form and the sword is inert. Until you are reunited. It's pretty clear.

It lists that for weapons of good, but is not specific about weapons of evil.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
LeeNapier
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LeeNapier »

I would say that distance is a factor. If he's not holding it, but he's within 3 feet of it, that's probably close enough. If someone teleports the weapon to the moon... there's a problem.

There's probably a time/distance equation that's fair that someone with more time than I can work out.
LeeNapier
Dungeon Crawler

My only critique would be that since the "returns when thrown" ability is inherent to the weapon, so it would automatically turn around, even at maximum range, and head back to the thrower. Once it re-entered the max range, the thrower would regain any lost abilities. IMO, of course.

Otherwise, nice work on the range thing. :)
Al Blotto
Wanderer

Unread post by Al Blotto »

I think it's pretty damn good. The gasoline analogy makes a lot of sense and it makes the character a lot more aware of their limitations. Definitely nice work.

IMHO, I would simply go with the 72 hour limit on being superhuman. This allows for some intriguing adventures where the character (still superhuman with the "Powers & Bonuses Bestowed to its Mortal Champion" but without the "Powers Held by Weapons of Order/Chaos") has to conduct a search for their weapon to get it back. The implication behind being separated for 72 hours implies that someone either tricked you into believing them worthy and took your weapon to depower you or that you loaned it to someone and they got captured/killed/transported somewhere and are unable to give you your weapon back. In which case, you could go on a rescue mission basically the same as above but with both your weapon and your friend in peril.

I'd like to offer another analogy for the Magic Weapon and it's hero. The hero is a cellular telephone and the weapon is the charger. When in contact with the charger, the phone works and is imparted with the power/energy granted by the charger. When disconnected from the charger, the phone still works at full power, but slowly loses the energy given to it. And once the charge is gone (in this case 72 hours), the phone loses all of its power and turns back into a hunk of plastic/metal. The hero is a battery for the magic energies of the sword and can operate at his full superhuman capabilities until that charge runs out.
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Unread post by Snowtiger »

Okay, I'm gonna loan this thread for myself for a while. Would it be possible for an enchanted weapon to posess enough sentience/intelligence that it sometimes doesn't work right even with its chosen user? Like in the case that the user wants to exact revenge on someone who's done him wrong, and the weapon disagrees with this. So if the user wants to still pursue that revenge, he must either do so without the weapon and the powers bestowed by it, or try to coax the weapon into working with him.
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

It,s like Rune weapons.
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Unread post by Snowtiger »

Leon Kennedy wrote:Ok, so this is gonna make me seem way old and too much of a geek even for my own good, but have you been watching Thundercats recently? Lion-o's sword functions in this way, and it's shown as such in the very first episode of the show.

I think it's definitely doable. I don't know if it has to do with sentience or intelligence, but seeing as the weapon/object and the chosen protector should be of the same alignment, I can see things being done outside of what is normally dictated by that alignment causing the object to say "No!".

Hey, I remember seeing a few episodes of Thundercats at my mates, where they had satellite-TV, WAY down the line(somewhere in the early 90's), at the time I was blissfully ignorant of the fine points of the series, because I hadn't seen it before.

This little tidbit of a question comes from a few years back, when I was reading an issue of Witchblade, and it was implied that the mystical gauntlet of the same name would sometimes slip out of the wielder's grasp and refuse to function until the wielder was able to coerce it under her will again to summon it back and regain its powers (Witchblade is one of those mystical weapons, that violently refuses any male who tries to wield it and predominantly selects only female wielders(in the first issue it even consumed a man's lower arm to stop him from doing that)). It's also implied that the gauntlet definitely is sentient and has the ability to communicate with the wielder predominantly through vivid dreams, memories and visions.
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The HU enchanted weapons are Rune Weapons equivalents. So I would say that unless the person is killed or the weapon bonds with another hero, they would remain in their transformed state till they chose to return to their 'normal' form. However, they would need to regain the weapons to be able to regain their 'hero' form.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
LeeNapier
Dungeon Crawler

Snowtiger wrote:Okay, I'm gonna loan this thread for myself for a while. Would it be possible for an enchanted weapon to posess enough sentience/intelligence that it sometimes doesn't work right even with its chosen user? Like in the case that the user wants to exact revenge on someone who's done him wrong, and the weapon disagrees with this. So if the user wants to still pursue that revenge, he must either do so without the weapon and the powers bestowed by it, or try to coax the weapon into working with him.

This would seem an appropriate weakness for a mystic weapon Mega Hero. Requires LOTS of attention from the GM, though.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

72 hours by the book seems to be balanced.
As a Mega-weakness limit it to 60 seconds...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”