High-Tech Arrows for Heroes Unlimited

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

NMI
OLD ONE

Re: High-Tech Arrows for Heroes Unlimited

Unread post by NMI »

Tied into a Laser Range Finder system, these super arrows can be set to burst,deliver their payloads at specific range. Firing a blinding flash arrow into a crowd and having it detonate /air burst right above them.

Plasma Arrows - The heads on these arrows are quite large when compared to most other arrowhead types, but this is done on purpose. Within the head is a plasma gel pellet that upon impact bursts open to release its burning payload. Damage - 4D6 (x2 damage to those vulnerable to fire/heat).

Dense Ice Arrows - The heads of these arrows are either super chilled arrow heads (must be kept in a special cooling quiver, cost $2,000) or can literally be made of super dense ice surrounding a piece of metal. Damage - 3D6 (5D6 damage to those vulnerable to ice/cold)

Freeze Arrows - Similar to the Plasma Arrows, these thick arrowheads contain a capsule of liquid nitrogen or some other type of super science, super cold liquid that upon impact releases its contacts causes freezing damage. Damage - 5D6 (7D6 damage to those vulnerable to ice/cold) + numbing effects (see Aliens Unlimited: Revised pg 184)

Tracer Arrows - Emits a low-frequency transmission up to 1,000'. Can be heard by those with a special receiver or with the ability to tune into a specific frequency. The shaft is designed to break off, leaving only the arrowhead/transmitter. Damage - minimal 1D4. Uses special magnets/electro-adhesives/chemicals to adhere to targets.

Electro-Shock Arrows - Upon impact, the arrow head releases a small electrical discharge. This discharge does damage and acts as a ranged taser. Damage - 2D6 from impact + 3D6 from the electrical shock. Save vs stun: 14 or higher. Failed save means the target is stunned - (-4 attacks, -6 all combat moves, - 20% speed. Duration 1D6 melees. Multiple hits to the same target do not increase the penalties, but will increase the duration by another 1D6 melees.

Armor Piercing - Special arrowhead design, materials, etc... make this arrow easier to penetrate armor / hard targets. Damage - 3D6. Lowers the A.R. of targets by 3. (A.R. of 15 is dropped to 12, only when encountering this arrow)

Explosive Arrows - Light, Medium and Heavy Explosive charges can be mounted within this extra thick arrow head and shaft. The typical explosive in these arrows are either some sort of plastique or a binary chemical agent that mixes upon impact and then detonates. Damage - 4D6, 6D6 and 1D6x10 respectively. Blast radius is kept minimal on purpose - 6", 8" and 12" blast radius respectively.

Chemical Delivery - Specially designed arrowhead and shaft are design in such a fashion to allow for carrying a chemical agent. This could be from knockout drugs, deadly poisons, acids, etc... Damage and effects is based on the chemical agent being delivered. Damage from impact with the arrow is 2D6.

Blinding Flash - This arrow is designed to burst in air, but can burst on impact as well. All targets viewing this burst of light within 120' are affected by this arrow and are required to make a saving throw. Save vs 14. Failed saves will incur penalties the same as the spell, Blinding Flash.

Disruptor (Sound) Arrows - These arrows emit a very high pitched scream/whine as they soar through the air. Damage - 2D6 from direct impact with the arrow + 1D4 damage direct to Hit Points! (this is represented by bleeding from the ears, nose and possibly the eyes) Additional effects: minus 2 (-2) to all combat rolls (initiative, # of attacks, strike, parry, etc...). Penalties can be negated with a successful saving throw vs. stun/pain: 14 or higher P.E. bonuses can be applied. Specialized ear plugs, helmets, sound dampening equipment can also negate or at the very least provide up to a +4 to the saving throw.

Smokescreen Arrows - Upon impact, this arrowhead and part of the shaft explode releasing a thin, non-toxic smokescreen. Colors vary from black, gray, white, red, yellow, blue, green and orange. Damage - 3D6 if directly hit by this arrow. Area of Effect - 15'x15'x15'. Due to the lightweight nature of the chemicals and "smoke" involved, this smokescreen will dissolve into the air after 1D6 melees, 50% faster if a breeze over 10 mph is present.

Flare Arrows - Set to detonate either after a certain amount of time or upon impact (setting made via a tiny recessed button on the base of the arrowhead), this arrowhead releases a bright flash of light equivalent to a flare. Stored in the shaft of this arrow is a mini-parachute. This allows the "flare" to hang in air for up to 1D6 minutes. Damage - 3D6 if directly hit by this arrow + chance to ignite combustibles (if hit by this arrow). Chance to ignite is equal to the damage dealt. Duration of illumination is 1D4 melees.

Tangler Arrows - This arrowhead looks like your typical pointed tip that is used for training & target practice. The difference here is that the arrowhead is about 50% wider in diameter. Upon impact, the entire arrow including the shaft breaks apart similar to a 3 piece nunchaku's except smaller segments. Within the shaft is a very fine, yet strong cable. Between the cable and segments of the shaft, is where this arrow gets its name "Tangler". Upon release of the components, the "Tangler" entangles around whatever it hits. The most effective use of the Tangler is into wheel wells, helicopter rotorblades and similar moving structures. Ideally to have the best effect, Tanglers should be made as longbow arrows as this will provide more cable and shaft segments to affect the target.

The tip of the arrowhead is made out of Kevlar or similar materials to affect penetration. Damage - 3D6 with a +3 bonus to penetrate armor/materials of any kind, be they natural or standard armor ratings. (i.e. An A.R. of 15 is effectively 12 versus this arrow. Affects on targets by being entangled by this arrow vary depending on the nature of the target.

Kinetic Kill Arrow - The arrowhead is made out of some sort of super dense material giving this particular arrow a heavy "punch". If that was not enough to incapacitate your target, the following certainly should help. In the shaft of this arrow, is some type of liquid medium. Due to momentum, the liquid is forced to the back of the arrow, but upon impact it (as the science of momentum dictates), continues moving forward. As it moves forward, the liquid pushes a metal rod/spike forward into the target causing additional damage. Damage - 4D6 (short bow) 8D6 (longbow)
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Tied into a Laser Range Finder system, these super arrows can be set to burst,deliver their payloads at specific range. Firing a blinding flash arrow into a crowd and having it detonate /air burst right above them.

Plasma Arrows - The heads on these arrows are quite large when compared to most other arrowhead types, but this is done on purpose. Within the head is a plasma gel pellet that upon impact bursts open to release its burning payload. Damage - 4D6 (x2 damage to those vulnerable to fire/heat).

Dense Ice Arrows - The heads of these arrows are either super chilled arrow heads (must be kept in a special cooling quiver, cost $2,000) or can literally be made of super dense ice surrounding a piece of metal. Damage - 3D6 (5D6 damage to those vulnerable to ice/cold)

Freeze Arrows - Similar to the Plasma Arrows, these thick arrowheads contain a capsule of liquid nitrogen or some other type of super science, super cold liquid that upon impact releases its contacts causes freezing damage. Damage - 5D6 (7D6 damage to those vulnerable to ice/cold) + numbing effects (see Aliens Unlimited: Revised pg 184)
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

My original post has been updated to include additional arrows.

As for sticky arrows, I am trying to envision how a single arrow/arrow shaft, could hold enough resin/glue to effectively immobilize 1 individual. I am thinking that 1 arrow + successful strike will result in a single arm/hand/leg/foot/tire/etc.. being immobilized. Multiple successful strikes would be needed to cover the entire body of say your average sized humanoid.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:My original post has been updated to include additional arrows.

As for sticky arrows, I am trying to envision how a single arrow/arrow shaft, could hold enough resin/glue to effectively immobilize 1 individual. I am thinking that 1 arrow + successful strike will result in a single arm/hand/leg/foot/tire/etc.. being immobilized. Multiple successful strikes would be needed to cover the entire body of say your average sized humanoid.

You should definitely add them to the Black Vault wiki. :D
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Done master
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Smokescreen Arrows - Upon impact, this arrowhead and part of the shaft explode releasing a thin, non-toxic smokescreen. Colors vary from black, gray, white, red, yellow, blue, green and orange. Damage - 3D6 if directly hit by this arrow. Area of Effect - 15'x15'x15'. Due to the lightweight nature of the chemicals and "smoke" involved, this smokescreen will dissolve into the air after 1D6 melees, 50% faster if a breeze over 10 mph is present.

Flare Arrows - Set to detonate either after a certain amount of time or upon impact (setting made via a tiny recessed button on the base of the arrowhead), this arrowhead releases a bright flash of light equivalent to a flare. Stored in the shaft of this arrow is a mini-parachute. This allows the "flare" to hang in air for up to 1D6 minutes. Damage - 3D6 if directly hit by this arrow + chance to ignite combustibles (if hit by this arrow). Chance to ignite is equal to the damage dealt. Duration of illumination is 1D4 melees.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:Done master

LOL.
Those arrows are really cool, NMI.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Tangler Arrows - This arrowhead looks like your typical pointed tip that is used for training & target practice. The difference here is that the arrowhead is about 50% wider in diameter. Upon impact, the entire arrow including the shaft breaks apart similar to a 3 piece nunchaku's except smaller segments. Within the shaft is a very fine, yet strong cable. Between the cable and segments of the shaft, is where this arrow gets its name "Tangler". Upon release of the components, the "Tangler" entangles around whatever it hits. The most effective use of the Tangler is into wheel wells, helicopter rotorblades and similar moving structures. Ideally to have the best effect, Tanglers should be made as longbow arrows as this will provide more cable and shaft segments to affect the target.

The tip of the arrowhead is made out of Kevlar or similar materials to affect penetration. Damage - 3D6 with a +3 bonus to penetrate armor/materials of any kind, be they natural or standard armor ratings. (i.e. An A.R. of 15 is effectively 12 versus this arrow. Affects on targets by being entangled by this arrow vary depending on the nature of the target.
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

how about the classic boxer/sap glove arrow?
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

You mean an arrow with a fist on it?
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

Compact arrows
These arrows look to be about the size of a dart. But they can be extended to full length as you notch the arrow and draw back. Normal arrow damage, but could work with just about any specialty arrow.

I play an immortal archer who was there when the first bow and arrow was constructed (thanks wikipedia) and one big complaint through the ages has been carrying capacity. Btw, NMI, great work buddy!
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Kinetic Kill Arrow - The arrowhead is made out of some sort of super dense material giving this particular arrow a heavy "punch". If that was not enough to incapacitate your target, the following certainly should help. In the shaft of this arrow, is some type of liquid medium. Due to momentum, the liquid is forced to the back of the arrow, but upon impact it (as the science of momentum dictates), continues moving forward. As it moves forward, the liquid pushes a metal rod/spike forward into the target causing additional damage. Damage - 4D6 (short bow) 8D6 (longbow)
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

how about a draculas arrow that can draw blood from a foe for testing,but at a distance?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

Hope this isn't considered a necro, but I like these hi-tech arrows a lot! Two things...

1. Any suggestions for a cots per arrow?

2. Th only thing I might change is to eliminate the initial arrow damage... I feel like if you're choosing between a regular arrow, and a shock arrow, for instance, the shock arrow shouldn't do the same damage as a regular arrow, plus shock, or else you would just never use the regular arrow anymore. Just my opinion, YMMV, etc.

Otherwise, these are awesome!!!
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:My original post has been updated to include additional arrows.

Maybe an over sized shaft containing something akin to that expanding quick set foam stuff? If you combined it with the mechanism in your punch arrows (fluid momentum pushing a cylinder) you could rig it to where upon impact the gel/foam/resin was expressed through holes in the shaft (the impact pressure/momentum would be enough to break the seal containing the goo).

Could something like that work?
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

Barbed Arrow: An oldie but a goodie - standard damage, but a target attempting to pull the arrow out of their body will suffer an additional 1D4+2 damage, as the specially angled barbs on the arrowhead lodge in their flesh, tearing a larger wound. A successful roll against an appropriate medical skill (Paramedic, Medical Doctor) will allow an ally to safely remove the arrow, but attempting this with an arrow lodged in your own body incurs a penalty of -20%.

Stench Arrow: Upon impact, a small vial explodes and showers the target with a powerfully pungent fluid. Standard damage, but unless a target successfully saves against nausea (14 or higher; P.E. bonus applicable), he/she will react as if affected by the minor power of Stench for 1D4+3 melee rounds, after which time the chemical will dissipate, or until the arrow is removed, whichever is sooner.

Pheromone Arrow: Similar to the Stench Arrow, but it coats the target with a scent that is irresistible to a certain pre-selected species; a type of insect, dogs, cats, etc. Standard damage, but within 1D4 melee rounds, a crowd/swarm of the appropriate animal type will gather and try to mob the target; target is -15% to all skills, loses two melee attacks/actions per round and speed is halved until he/she can fight their way clear of the distracting and debilitating throng, or until the chemical dissipates 1D4+3 melee rounds later.

Note: the correct type of animal must plausibly be in the general area for the arrow to cause this effect; shooting an adversary with the insect-attracting arrow while fighting at the North Pole is unlikely to yield a useful outcome. :)

Medical Arrow: An arrow with a modified head (damage is only 2 SDC/Hit Points) that injects a payload of short-lived medical nanites into the target. These microscopic robots can repair injuries at a rate of 4D4+4 SDC/Hit Points per melee round, and will continue to function for up to 1D4+3 rounds before losing power and being absorbed by the target's body.

Rocket Arrow: A particularly sturdy arrow (usually composed of titanium, kisentite or similarly durable material) that has a small amount of an immensely powerful chemical propellant in its hollow shaft. Upon impact, the propellant ignites, creating a huge amount of thrust, and any target weighing two hundred pounds or less will blasted backwards for up to 2D4 x 10 feet! Crashing into any solid structures during the flight will cause 4D4 damage.

Note: For every hundred pounds over the above weight, or fraction thereof, G.M.s should reduce the distance travelled by half. Any target weighing seven hundred pounds or more will not be forced back at all, though they must roll to maintain balance or be knocked off their feet and lose two melee actions.

(This last one relies heavily on comic-book physics, but hey, just roll with it. :D )
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

Mediapig71 wrote:Hope this isn't considered a necro, but I like these hi-tech arrows a lot! Two things...

Excellent point...I'll have a think about appropriate costs for my arrows, and post 'em when I can.

2. Th only thing I might change is to eliminate the initial arrow damage... I feel like if you're choosing between a regular arrow, and a shock arrow, for instance, the shock arrow shouldn't do the same damage as a regular arrow, plus shock, or else you would just never use the regular arrow anymore. Just my opinion, YMMV, etc.

Ah, but that's where cost is an issue; if the shock arrow costs ten times as much as a regular arrow and you can maybe only use it once, suddenly the vanilla option is a lot more appealing. Something like my Rocket Arrow or Medical Arrow would cost a ton - an issue if you're not a billionaire playboy. :-)
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Senator Cybus wrote:
Mediapig71 wrote:Hope this isn't considered a necro, but I like these hi-tech arrows a lot! Two things...

Excellent point...I'll have a think about appropriate costs for my arrows, and post 'em when I can.

Ah, but that's where cost is an issue; if the shock arrow costs ten times as much as a regular arrow and you can maybe only use it once, suddenly the vanilla option is a lot more appealing. Something like my Rocket Arrow or Medical Arrow would cost a ton - an issue if you're not a billionaire playboy. :-)

Good point! Cost would be a nice balancing factor in this case.
LeeNapier
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LeeNapier »

Another factor is that many of these arrows would weigh more (especially if they are properly balanced, otherwise they'd just be front-heavy), which might negatively affect their range.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

All Floopers all the time wrote:Or what about a super inventor who makes arrows using various minor powers as warheads?

Charge Object with Explosive Energy, EE-Plasma, EE - EMP, Gravity Plane, Power Bands, Resin, Stench, Cellular Rot and Decay, Corrosive Spray or Sticky Globs would be some good options.

Frankly, that's how I wish HU handled all tech powers... use something like Super Inventions / Prometheus Circuits, etc. Or at least make it an official option.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Costs would be less for a Hardware Weapons Engineer creating the arrows, also. You should include % of difficulty in creating the arrows for such a character as well as applicable costs of creating them from parts as opposed to buying them on the street. I don't imagine most of them would be legal, though, even in a super-powered city. Costs would differ for getting them from legal sources as opposed to black market ones.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

All Floopers all the time wrote:
Mediapig71 wrote:
All Floopers all the time wrote:Or what about a super inventor who makes arrows using various minor powers as warheads?

Charge Object with Explosive Energy, EE-Plasma, EE - EMP, Gravity Plane, Power Bands, Resin, Stench, Cellular Rot and Decay, Corrosive Spray or Sticky Globs would be some good options.

Frankly, that's how I wish HU handled all tech powers... use something like Super Inventions / Prometheus Circuits, etc. Or at least make it an official option.

Personally, I'd be OK with allowing a hardware character to make Super Inventions so long as it's role played out. Designing a prototype would take a while too, most likely. But hey, it would give the group something to work towards.

Hence the need for the much desired Hardware Unlimited. They need to have rules in place to allow you to be able to create anything that is currently in the books.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Seconded!
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

I have a player in my group that would love those arrows, two questions, did NMI make all those up himself ? Are there any listed in the HU books ? I've already sourced all the Rifts books for hi-tech arrows.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Razzinold wrote:I have a player in my group that would love those arrows, two questions, did NMI make all those up himself ? Are there any listed in the HU books ? I've already sourced all the Rifts books for hi-tech arrows.

These are mine. They are all in my first post or two...

Tracer Arrows - Emits a low-frequency transmission up to 1,000'. Can be heard by those with a special receiver or with the ability to tune into a specific frequency. The shaft is designed to break off, leaving only the arrowhead/transmitter. Damage - minimal 1D4. Uses special magnets/electro-adhesives/chemicals to adhere to targets.

Electro-Shock Arrows - Upon impact, the arrow head releases a small electrical discharge. This discharge does damage and acts as a ranged taser. Damage - 2D6 from impact + 3D6 from the electrical shock. Save vs stun: 14 or higher. Failed save means the target is stunned - (-4 attacks, -6 all combat moves, - 20% speed. Duration 1D6 melees. Multiple hits to the same target do not increase the penalties, but will increase the duration by another 1D6 melees.

Armor Piercing - Special arrowhead design, materials, etc... make this arrow easier to penetrate armor / hard targets. Damage - 3D6. Lowers the A.R. of targets by 3. (A.R. of 15 is dropped to 12, only when encountering this arrow)

Explosive Arrows - Light, Medium and Heavy Explosive charges can be mounted within this extra thick arrow head and shaft. The typical explosive in these arrows are either some sort of plastique or a binary chemical agent that mixes upon impact and then detonates. Damage - 4D6, 6D6 and 1D6x10 respectively. Blast radius is kept minimal on purpose - 6", 8" and 12" blast radius respectively.

Chemical Delivery - Specially designed arrowhead and shaft are design in such a fashion to allow for carrying a chemical agent. This could be from knockout drugs, deadly poisons, acids, etc... Damage and effects is based on the chemical agent being delivered. Damage from impact with the arrow is 2D6.

Blinding Flash - This arrow is designed to burst in air, but can burst on impact as well. All targets viewing this burst of light within 120' are affected by this arrow and are required to make a saving throw. Save vs 14. Failed saves will incur penalties the same as the spell, Blinding Flash.

Disruptor (Sound) Arrows - These arrows emit a very high pitched scream/whine as they soar through the air. Damage - 2D6 from direct impact with the arrow + 1D4 damage direct to Hit Points! (this is represented by bleeding from the ears, nose and possibly the eyes) Additional effects: minus 2 (-2) to all combat rolls (initiative, # of attacks, strike, parry, etc...). Penalties can be negated with a successful saving throw vs. stun/pain: 14 or higher P.E. bonuses can be applied. Specialized ear plugs, helmets, sound dampening equipment can also negate or at the very least provide up to a +4 to the saving throw.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Ooh, even more you can post to the Black Vault Wiki. And to think, things had been getting slow over there with no New Powers to post for a while.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

how about a gooey arrow to stop oponents temprarally in place?
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Gress arrow,up on imbact release a slippery gress covering 10 feet any one going faster than a spd of 5 has a 01-80% chance of the character slipping and falling (1d6 damage,loses initiative and two melee attack).
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Unread post by Roscoe Del'Tane »

EMP-Arrows: Designed to kill the engines of all modern vehicles, as well as wreak havoc with communications and cyborgs/bionic characters. On a successful strike, the engine of any modern vehicle (after say, 1990) has a 95% chance of failing, same with any electronics within 15 feet of the arrow 1d4+6 minutes. Military issue vehicles and equipment will have hardening and backups, only 65% chance of failure, and half the down time. Cost is 5,000 dollars if you buy it, or $400 if you have it made within the group (Hardware Genius, friend who owes a favor, 'stocking error' from your own company, etc.). Range is 1/4 less than a normal shot due to the weight of the arrow and the power source affecting the flight.

Grappling Arrows: These arrows have a 'double head', the first head is armor piercing to punch into the target, and the second head is a tripod of smaller heads that (depending on the style of arrow) bore into the material/magnetize/chemically bond with the surrounding area. The shaft has a carbon composite string capable of carrying 500 lbs. of weight trailing it. The thought here is that the archer could then tie off the other end and use it to swing from building to building, as a tripwire, or any other variety of uses. Arrow costs $400 per arrow, comes with 300 feet of carbon composite string.

Feel free to alter the cost and effect as you see fit, I don't have my books with me at the moment, so I can't check on what is and is not book legal/correct.
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Jack! You've debauched my sloth!" - Steven Matrin

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Here's a few I posted a while back in the Hardware Unlimited thread:
Sealed System Bypass Arrow-
Arrowhead is a cylinder 6 inches long and 4 inches in diameter, imposing a small penalty to hit for those who have never fired one before (-2 to hit with this arrow for the first 5 times the character uses the shell) and reducing range by 10% due to added weight. The end of the arrow has three concentric rings- the outer is a powerful magnet that attaches to ferrous objects and requires a Superhuman PS of 35 or higher (or PS 25 Supernatural) to remove, the middle ring exudes a super-adhesive for the same effect on non-ferrous surfaces, and the inner ring is a Laser-honed Adamantine blade that spins outwards into whatever surface that it is stuck to, creating a 3 inche diameter hole through upto 5 inches of material (specifically robot/vehicle armor, or thin walls). Once the surface has been breached, a gas payload can then be deployed- usually a knockout gas or tear gas/irritant that covers upto a 25 ft radius within the breached object. radiating out from the point of breach.

This arrow was designed by the Hardware:Weapons hero called Avro as a non-lethal way of quickly stopping targets within power armor, robots, or armored vehicles but he also has found uses for it in defusing hostage situations in buildings with thin outer walls/windows. Unfortunately, a rival Weapons Master named KillShot modified the design slightly, and now uses a variant on this design to act as a lethal chemical payload dispersal system as well.

Weight:1lb. in addition to weight of the arrow shaft. Cost: $15,000.00 (the Adamantine blade, supermagnet, and adhesive are not cheap) to make- if one were sold, it would likely be for twice this amount. The arrowhead is made of sturdy materials (takes 250 SDC damage to destroy) and while the chemical payload would need to be refilled, the arrowhead can be reused over and over, even if it needs to be attached to a new arrow shaft.

UV Paint Arrow-
This arrowhead shatters upon impact, covering the target in what seems to be mild adhesive (-1 to all combat bonuses, -5% to all skills requiring manual dexterity, and -5 to Spd attribute [or 10mph from Speed powers] until the chemical dries in 2d4 melee rounds. However, the true purpose of this chemical is that it is a UV light sensitive paint that makes anyone covered with it stand out like a beacon to people with UV Vision or UV Optics, even in complete darkness! This provides the attacker equipped with UV Vision or UV Optics with the ability to make normal aimed shots against the target at night with full to strike bonuses, as the target is made visible for attack. The Paint will flake off after 8 hours or can be removed within 1d4 melee rounds if doused with even a mild solvent.

Designed by a the Hardware:Weapons hero known as Shellshock, originally as a modified shotgun round, but he then adapted it for his crimefighting accomplice GreyHood, a bow-wielding Ancient Weapons Master. They found it was a great way to 'tag' gang members at night, who they would then let 'escape' so that the gang member could lead them back to their base of operations without realizing they were being followed.

Cost: $10.00 per arrowhead to buy, $2.00 for the materials per arrowhead to make.

CopperStorm Arrow-
Also designed by the Weapons Expert Avro to increase the effectiveness of his teammate Captain Zap (not the brightest of bulbs in the christmas tree) and his electrical powers, which the Captain has had some troubles with in the past due to collateral damage due to missed shots. This arrow was designed to help alleviate this problem. Avro will fire off one of these arrows at a target and the arrow explodes just before impact, causing the target to be encased in copper powder. This does 1d6 damage at time of impact, blinds anyone not wearing eye protection for 1 melee round, and also provides those with electrical powers with a +3 to hit the target for the next 2d4 melees until the powder completely falls off. The first electrical strike also does an additional +10 damage to target due to the conductive nature of the copper covering them. Enough copper is displaced with this first shot that further attacks get no such damage bonus.

Cost:$10.00 per arrowhead to purchase or $4.00 for the materials to build.

**And again, thanks to those who made suggestions on changes to the original version of these arrows.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”