Terminating Powers vs Continuing Power Durations

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Terminating Powers vs Continuing Power Durations

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Here's a question that's been brewing in my head since it came up a couple weeks ago in another topic.

Most psychic powers carry with them a duration of effect; you spend your ISP and the power remains in effect for a given period of time. But what if after that you use a power that prohibits the use of all other psychic powers? Does that blocking power negate all presently activated powers, or just preclude the use of any others from that point on as the duration of the active one times out?

Example: Say a 5th level Mind Melter activates the power of Psi-Sword, spending 30 ISP in the process and getting a psychic weapon that will remain up and usable for 25 minutes. Five minutes later he spots a CS Dog Pack in the distance and wants to hide his presence, so he activates the power of Mask ISP & Psionics. However, one of the stipulations of that concealing power is that "...he cannot use any of his psionic senses or abilities..." (RUE 174) Does that mean that he can use no further psychic abilities/powers till the Mask power's duration elapses (or the power is canceled) but the Psi-Sword remains in effect because it was activated before Mask ISP & Psi, or does the Psi-Sword vanish when Mask is activated despite the fact that 30 ISP had already been expended for it and the ample remaining time on its duration?
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Terminating Powers vs Continuing Power Durations

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The ones still active don't just shut down. Otherwise Intutive Combat becomes completely useless.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:The ones still active don't just shut down. Otherwise Intutive Combat becomes completely useless.

What makes you think that it's NOT completely useless? ;)
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Dead Boy wrote:Here's a question that's been brewing in my head since it came up a couple weeks ago in another topic.

Most psychic powers carry with them a duration of effect; you spend your ISP and the power remains in effect for a given period of time. But what if after that you use a power that prohibits the use of all other psychic powers? Does that blocking power negate all presently activated powers, or just preclude the use of any others from that point on as the duration of the active one times out?

Example: Say a 5th level Mind Melter activates the power of Psi-Sword, spending 30 ISP in the process and getting a psychic weapon that will remain up and usable for 25 minutes. Five minutes later he spots a CS Dog Pack in the distance and wants to hide his presence, so he activates the power of Mask ISP & Psionics. However, one of the stipulations of that concealing power is that "...he cannot use any of his psionic senses or abilities..." (RUE 174) Does that mean that he can use no further psychic abilities/powers till the Mask power's duration elapses (or the power is canceled) but the Psi-Sword remains in effect because it was activated before Mask ISP & Psi, or does the Psi-Sword vanish when Mask is activated despite the fact that 30 ISP had already been expended for it and the ample remaining time on its duration?

It says "cannot use," not "cannot activate new powers."

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:The ones still active don't just shut down. Otherwise Intutive Combat becomes completely useless.

Cognitive dissonance?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Cognitive dissonance?

Interesting.

Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
~
~
~

Hmmm, I missed that one. So it is your supposition that preexisting utility trumps the diminished capacity brought about powers with this limitation?

Killer Cyborg wrote:It says "cannot use," not "cannot activate new powers."

But it does not say, "terminates powers who's durations have not lapsed yet". There's a flexible ambiguity in the language that I'm trying to sort out due to Palladium's classic lack of clarification.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dead Boy wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:It says "cannot use," not "cannot activate new powers."

But it does not say, "terminates powers who's durations have not lapsed yet". There's a flexible ambiguity in the language that I'm trying to sort out due to Palladium's classic lack of clarification.

If you want to go that route, cool
The power isn't terminated- it just can't be used. ;)

Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
~
~
~

I don't feel comfortable accepting any answers as of yet given that there are only two respondents; one pro and one con. So I'm going to let this question stay open for a bit longer to allow more opinions to weigh in on the matter.

[img]x[/img]
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Dead Boy wrote:

Hmmm, I missed that one. So it is your supposition that preexisting utility trumps the diminished capacity brought about powers with this limitation?

Yes, only I used words that most people would understand :D

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Usually if someone already stated my opinion I won't post, but since you're looking for numbers I guess I will. I would have to side with active powers can still be used (with limitations). At least that's my stance for practicality, though by the rules the other way (all powers are deactivated) can very easily be argued. While I believe Mind Block had originally been inteded to work that way (deactivating all), powers added after (such as Intuitive Combat and/or Mask I.S.P. & Psionics) would end up being mostly useless. The limitation (in my opinion) would be that it must be limited to the body of the psychic, and anything active cannot be changed or receive new input (since this last statement is probably not clear, I'll give examples).

Example 1: A character activates Alter Aura, changing a few factors. After he uses Mask I.S.P. & Psionics. The altered aura remains. As he walks along though, he realizes he made a mistake with the way he adjusted his aura and wants to change it. Too darn bad. It's stuck like that until he can use psionics again.

Example 2: A Cyber-Knight uses both psi-swords, then uses a Mind Block. As long as the Mind Block is up, he won't be able to adjust the color, size, or shape of those psi-swords.

Example 3: A Mind Melter activates his Super Telekinesis, then activates Mask P.P.E., and followed by Mask I.S.P. & Psionics. He figures this should effectively disguise himself, and if something goes down he'll still have the telekinesis to help bail him out. While Super Telekinesis is still active it requires manipulating outside factors. So the character can't move anything because the Mask I.S.P. & Psionics is blocking that ability.

Example 4: A master psychic has Sixth Sense goes off. He decides to prep himself for combat. First he activates his Psi-Sword, throws on a Psychic Body Field, decides to throw in Telepathy so he can communicate with allies, and then uses Intuitive Combat for extra bonuses. ((Okay, I've actually debated whether or not Sixth Sense and Intuitive Combat can stack, but if it can't then Intuitive Combat would rarely be worth taking, but that's a different topic entirely.)) Psi-Sword and Psychic Body Field would remain active, as would Telepathy, it's just that he couldn't listen to anyone's thoughts or send telepathic messages because it would require active use (which is blocked). If the psychic drops Intuitive Combat during the duration, he probably could still use Telepathy without spending more I.S.P. to reactivate it, it's just he couldn't actively use it.

Hmm ... I guess basically it would have to be a static ability, something that stays the same during its use. Nothing that can be changed, given new targets, continues to receive new information, etc. At least that would be my take on it. Feel free to use it, ignore it, think I'm crazy and don't know what I'm talking about, I only added the thought because the original poster asked for more opinions. I hope some of that helped. If not, sorry for wasting your time. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Nemo235
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nemo235 »

At first glance I would say once Mind Block is activated the character could not use any other psionics and any other they had active would deactivate.

However I do see an alternative, which is how I may house-rule it.
The intent of the power is defense against mental inlfuence or control.
A GM could rule that the character could not use any other mind affecting or sensory psi power (Telepathy, Empathy, See Aura, Intuitive Combat, etc.), but may still use physical or psychokinetic psi powers (Telekinesis, Psi-Sword, Pyrokinesis, etc.)
The GM would have to list which powers are "mind affacting or sensory" and which ones are "physical or psychokinetic".

I know this goes beyond the rules as written, but here's why: Mind Block Auto-Defense.
Suppose a character is in a very dangerous situation.
They may be standing in a raging fire with Impervious to Fire up, trying to Telekinetically lift something heavy they are trapped under, Levitating over a land mine, or something similar.
If they come under psionic mental attack, Mind Block Auto-Defense activates, their other powers deactivate and the character is toasted or hurt real bad.
With the house rule, this potential instant death scenario could be avoided.

PS: I included Intuitive Combat with the mental/sensory powers because it already exclusively says it can't be used with Mind Block.
Please check out my Deviant Art gallery
and my Mutants & Magic blog.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
~
~
~

Prysus wrote:Greetings and Salutations. Usually if someone already stated my opinion I won't post, but since you're looking for numbers I guess I will.

It's always been my opinion that this forum was here to build a consensus on issues not addressed by the book, and barring that, to provide the the original poster a number of opinions to better draw a well-informed conclusion from. For instance, you say you had the same opinion as someone else above, but when you typed it out, it ended up being somewhat different after all. And that variation is useful information for the discussion at hand.

I would have to side with active powers can still be used (with limitations). At least that's my stance for practicality, though by the rules the other way (all powers are deactivated) can very easily be argued. While I believe Mind Block had originally been intended to work that way (deactivating all), powers added after (such as Intuitive Combat and/or Mask I.S.P. & Psionics) would end up being mostly useless. The limitation (in my opinion) would be that it must be limited to the body of the psychic, and anything active cannot be changed or receive new input (since this last statement is probably not clear, I'll give examples).

Example 1: A character activates Alter Aura, changing a few factors. After he uses Mask I.S.P. & Psionics. The altered aura remains. As he walks along though, he realizes he made a mistake with the way he adjusted his aura and wants to change it. Too darn bad. It's stuck like that until he can use psionics again.

Example 2: A Cyber-Knight uses both psi-swords, then uses a Mind Block. As long as the Mind Block is up, he won't be able to adjust the color, size, or shape of those psi-swords.

Example 3: A Mind Melter activates his Super Telekinesis, then activates Mask P.P.E., and followed by Mask I.S.P. & Psionics. He figures this should effectively disguise himself, and if something goes down he'll still have the telekinesis to help bail him out. While Super Telekinesis is still active it requires manipulating outside factors. So the character can't move anything because the Mask I.S.P. & Psionics is blocking that ability.

Example 4: A master psychic has Sixth Sense goes off. He decides to prep himself for combat. First he activates his Psi-Sword, throws on a Psychic Body Field, decides to throw in Telepathy so he can communicate with allies, and then uses Intuitive Combat for extra bonuses. ((Okay, I've actually debated whether or not Sixth Sense and Intuitive Combat can stack, but if it can't then Intuitive Combat would rarely be worth taking, but that's a different topic entirely.)) Psi-Sword and Psychic Body Field would remain active, as would Telepathy, it's just that he couldn't listen to anyone's thoughts or send telepathic messages because it would require active use (which is blocked). If the psychic drops Intuitive Combat during the duration, he probably could still use Telepathy without spending more I.S.P. to reactivate it, it's just he couldn't actively use it.

Hmm ... I guess basically it would have to be a static ability, something that stays the same during its use. Nothing that can be changed, given new targets, continues to receive new information, etc. At least that would be my take on it. Feel free to use it, ignore it, think I'm crazy and don't know what I'm talking about, I only added the thought because the original poster asked for more opinions. I hope some of that helped. If not, sorry for wasting your time. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

That's a interesting take on things. And frankly, one I'm inclined to agree with given its inherent limits and fairness. However, I do have a question. Say in Example 4, after the master psychic mediated and got his Intuitive Combat power warmed up, what if his power of Sixth Sense had cause to go off yet again? Technically that power is always activated and sips ISP as needed; right? Would it be able to warn of dangers to others, or just dangers to the master psi himself, or would it not work at all?

Nemo235 wrote:However I do see an alternative, which is how I may house-rule it.
The intent of the power is defense against mental inlfuence or control.
A GM could rule that the character could not use any other mind affecting or sensory psi power (Telepathy, Empathy, See Aura, Intuitive Combat, etc.), but may still use physical or psychokinetic psi powers (Telekinesis, Psi-Sword, Pyrokinesis, etc.)
The GM would have to list which powers are "mind affacting or sensory" and which ones are "physical or psychokinetic".
PS: I included Intuitive Combat with the mental/sensory powers because it already exclusively says it can't be used with Mind Block.

But how would you handle situations where the power in question is instead Intuitive Combat, which carries the same limitation as Mind Block but has a different effect? Would you go just the opposite given the different powers, despite the identical limitation? Shouldn't there be a greater degree of uniformity for powers saddled with the same limiting factor?

Nemo235 wrote:I know this goes beyond the rules as written, but here's why: Mind Block Auto-Defense.

Actually, Mind Block Auto-Defense does not have the same limitation on it as the regular version, unless we are going to assume it's there despite not being stated in the superior power's description.

[img]x[/img]
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Dead Boy wrote:That's a interesting take on things. And frankly, one I'm inclined to agree with given its inherent limits and fairness. However, I do have a question. Say in Example 4, after the master psychic mediated and got his Intuitive Combat power warmed up, what if his power of Sixth Sense had cause to go off yet again? Technically that power is always activated and sips ISP as needed; right? Would it be able to warn of dangers to others, or just dangers to the master psi himself, or would it not work at all?

Greetings and Salutations. I'd say it couldn't activate, but I say this for multiple reasons. First, if Sixth Sense is activated then it can't activate a second time (in my opinion), since the original danger did not pass then it is STILL active (even if the bonuses are gone, because it says in the Duration it lasts until the danger passes). Second, other powers can't activate while Intuitive Combat is active, so Intuitive Combat would block the ability for Sixth Sense to activate. Third, the danger must be "unexpected." However, while using the power of Intuitive Combat the character cannot be caught by surprise. No surprise means no Sixth Sense. That's at least my take on it. That's at least my take on it. Hope that helped. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dead Boy wrote:Say in Example 4, after the master psychic mediated and got his Intuitive Combat power warmed up, what if his power of Sixth Sense had cause to go off yet again? Technically that power is always activated and sips ISP as needed; right? Would it be able to warn of dangers to others, or just dangers to the master psi himself, or would it not work at all?

Sixth Sense automatically activates, but only if it's capable of doing so.
If you can't use your psionic powers, it doesn't activate.
For example, when you run out of ISP and you're in danger, 6th Sense cannot be used, so it doesn't go off.
Same when you can't use psionics for any other reason (like certain powers being activated)

Actually, Mind Block Auto-Defense does not have the same limitation on it as the regular version, unless we are going to assume it's there despite not being stated in the superior power's description.

I make that assumption.
Mind Block AD states that a Mind Block goes up, referring back to the original power.
It doesn't list the "blocks off all powers" weakness of the original power, but neither does it list most of the benefits.
So if Mind Block AD doesn't get the downsides of the original Mind Block simply because it doesn't specifically restate them, then logically neither does it get any of the advantages of the original power because those aren't listed either.
The only thing Mind Block AD mentions is that you have to consciously lower your mind shield in order to be probed by telepathy or empathy, so it wouldn't be completely useless, though.

Nemo235
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nemo235 »

Dead Boy wrote:
Nemo235 wrote:...

But how would you handle situations where the power in question is instead Intuitive Combat, which carries the same limitation as Mind Block but has a different effect? Would you go just the opposite given the different powers, despite the identical limitation? Shouldn't there be a greater degree of uniformity for powers saddled with the same limiting factor?

Hmm. Well, it was just an idea.
In that case I would say any psionic power that says you can't use other psi will also deactivate any that you already have up.
Dead Boy wrote:
Nemo235 wrote:I know this goes beyond the rules as written, but here's why: Mind Block Auto-Defense.

I was assuming that the Auto-Defense does everything that regular Mind Block does. If that is the case, it leaves the question of the situations I described above.

If the character is doing something with a power and Auto-Defense snaps on, can the character ignore it or deactivate it immediately to continue the first power? Would it require some kind of save or roll? How much time is involved; an instant thought, a melee action?
Or do they have to spend the points and activate the first power again?
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
~
~
~

Ok, I think we have a first. I'm calling this a Double Whammy ruling in regards to both Prusus' answer on the original question and Killer Cyborg's on the tangent question that arose out of the discussion.

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. Usually if someone already stated my opinion I won't post, but since you're looking for numbers I guess I will. I would have to side with active powers can still be used (with limitations). At least that's my stance for practicality, though by the rules the other way (all powers are deactivated) can very easily be argued. While I believe Mind Block had originally been inteded to work that way (deactivating all), powers added after (such as Intuitive Combat and/or Mask I.S.P. & Psionics) would end up being mostly useless. The limitation (in my opinion) would be that it must be limited to the body of the psychic, and anything active cannot be changed or receive new input (since this last statement is probably not clear, I'll give examples).

1st ANSWER ACCEPTED

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Dead Boy wrote:Actually, Mind Block Auto-Defense does not have the same limitation on it as the regular version, unless we are going to assume it's there despite not being stated in the superior power's description.

I make that assumption.
Mind Block AD states that a Mind Block goes up, referring back to the original power.
It doesn't list the "blocks off all powers" weakness of the original power, but neither does it list most of the benefits.
So if Mind Block AD doesn't get the downsides of the original Mind Block simply because it doesn't specifically restate them, then logically neither does it get any of the advantages of the original power because those aren't listed either.
The only thing Mind Block AD mentions is that you have to consciously lower your mind shield in order to be probed by telepathy or empathy, so it wouldn't be completely useless, though.

2nd ANSWER ACCEPTED

[img]x[/img]
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dead Boy wrote:Ok, I think we have a first. I'm calling this a Double Whammy ruling in regards to both Prusus' answer on the original question and Killer Cyborg's on the tangent question that arose out of the discussion.

Prysus wrote:

1st ANSWER ACCEPTED

My problem with that answer is that while it certainly shows how things could work, it doesn't establish that it's how they actually do work.

Meanwhile, the text still says that other powers cannot be used, not that they cannot be activated.
If you have Alter Aura up, you are in fact using[/u] it, whether or not you need to tinker with it, in the same way you're using a cloak when you have it on, whether or not you need to adjust the hood.
Same with the other powers- You stab somebody with a sword, you're clearly [i]using
the sword, whether or not you're altering the color or anything else.
And so on.

Going strictly by the rules as written, the meaning is pretty clear- certain powers exclude any other powers from being used in any way.

In my mind, the only way to counter this would be to show that the rules are not meant to be taken as written. One would need to either find an example (or, better, two or more examples) of an NPC using one of these powers in conjunction with another power (i.e., mind block and a psi-sword), demonstrating that things actually work differently from a RAW interpretation, OR to make a rational argument as to what the minds of the writers most likely is, and that a RAW interpretation was most likely not what the writer was intending when the powers were written.

Killer Cyborg wrote:Mind Block AD states that a Mind Block goes up, referring back to the original power.

2nd ANSWER ACCEPTED

Thank you. :-D

Nemo235
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nemo235 »

From the Psionics FAQ:
#21: Author: Guest, Posted: 6 Apr 2007 18:13
Question: Intuitive Combat says cannot use any Psionic powers while its activated. does that mean none activated during its duration or no new ones activated. Say for example a Cyber Knight has his Psi sword on, does he have to turn it off to activate this power?

Answer: This means no other psionic powers can be used, if the power was already activated, it becomes deactivated, and no other psionic powers can be activated while using Intuitive Combat.

From the Heroes Unlimited FAQ:
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:32 pm
Question: Wayne, How do you interpret the rules for concentration in combat regarding super powers, i.e. what can a character do or not do if they are trying to maintain force fields, mental illusions or what have you?

Answer: If there are limitations given in the power itself, then it is demanding enough to require such penalties (i.e. lost attacks, penalties, etc). If there are no noted penalties, then the character is able to maintain that ability with no adverse effects on their combat performance; however, because they are concentrating on that power they can not use any other super/psionic/magical ability until they let it lapse. Likewise, other skills and abilities requiring concentration would be impossible or heavily penalized, including aimed shots and any skill roll with modifiers (such as lockpicking, hacking, construction, etc).
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
~
~
~

Nemo235 wrote:From the Psionics FAQ:
#21: Author: Guest, Posted: 6 Apr 2007 18:13
Question: Intuitive Combat says cannot use any Psionic powers while its activated. does that mean none activated during its duration or no new ones activated. Say for example a Cyber Knight has his Psi sword on, does he have to turn it off to activate this power?

Answer: This means no other psionic powers can be used, if the power was already activated, it becomes deactivated, and no other psionic powers can be activated while using Intuitive Combat.

Question: Wayne, How do you interpret the rules for concentration in combat regarding super powers, i.e. what can a character do or not do if they are trying to maintain force fields, mental illusions or what have you?

Answer: If there are limitations given in the power itself, then it is demanding enough to require such penalties (i.e. lost attacks, penalties, etc). If there are no noted penalties, then the character is able to maintain that ability with no adverse effects on their combat performance; however, because they are concentrating on that power they can not use any other super/psionic/magical ability until they let it lapse. Likewise, other skills and abilities requiring concentration would be impossible or heavily penalized, including aimed shots and any skill roll with modifiers (such as lockpicking, hacking, construction, etc).

Either way, that categorically sucks and makes Intuitive Combat completely useless for a lot of characters out there.

Regardless, that answer was built on a consensus of replies circa 2007. The majority of respondents are now of a different opinion, building a different consensus. Perhaps it's time the FAQ was changed.

[img]x[/img]
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dead Boy wrote:Either way, that categorically sucks and makes Intuitive Combat completely useless for a lot of characters out there.

Correct- it is a completely useless power for most characters.
In fact, about the only characters that it would work for would be minor psychics that only have one other power that is something they'd never need to use during combat, AND generally knows two melees ahead of time when he/she is going to get into a fight.

Come to think of it, it might pair up well with 6th Sense, except they've pretty well castrated 6th Sense into similar uselessness.

Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
~
~
~

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Dead Boy wrote:Either way, that categorically sucks and makes Intuitive Combat completely useless for a lot of characters out there.

Correct- it is a completely useless power for most characters.
In fact, about the only characters that it would work for would be minor psychics that only have one other power that is something they'd never need to use during combat, AND generally knows two melees ahead of time when he/she is going to get into a fight.

Come to think of it, it might pair up well with 6th Sense, except they've pretty well castrated 6th Sense into similar uselessness.

I had the exact same thoughts.

SamtheDagger wrote:I thought I'd bring up a point that hasn't been noted in this conversation. RUE 366 under Psionic Attacks per Melee: "Some psionic abilities can be used in conjunction with others, but in most cases, one psionic ability must end before another can be used." (emphasis my own)

For this reason I say in the OP's example the psi-sword power would have to end before the mask ISP & psionics power could be used. In particular I say this because the mask ISP & psionics power specifically addresses the issue of whether a psychic can use other powers in conjunction. Because the rules tell me in most cases one power has to end before another can be used, I don't see the psi-sword hanging in some kind of limbo and just not being usable until the mask ISP & psionics power is over as an option.

Well, that is a good find, I admit. But what about Intuitive Combat? It carries the same burdening limitation, but is made to enhance the psychic's ability in combat. What sense does it make to improve one's fighting prowess, and then tie their hands behind their back by negating all other powers? That's why I was leaning heavily towards Prysus' answer because it enabled while still acknowledging limits. And that's also why I still feel that this new consensus should replace the older answer in the FAQ... its just plain and simply a better, fairer answer. It's not like everything in the FAQ is carved in stone; it's just a compilation of peer-generated answers provided at a particular point in time.

[img]x[/img]
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

SamtheDagger wrote:Maybe because the writers thought one having that one power was enough. I certainly think so. Sorry if I don't shed a tear for mind-melters (already extremely powerful) who whine that they can't combine IC with psi-sword.

IC hasn't been castrated, people just have unreasonable expectations. The power was designed to give psychics an edge in combat. It's for characters like the rogue scholar who rolled up minor psionic and isn't that good at combat in the first place so that he can contribute more in a battle, not for the mind-melter to become uber-badass (he's already badass).

Greetings and Salutations. I'm not going to argue (exactly), because I can see your logic. However, I just don't see Intuitive Combat being that useful, mostly because Sixth Sense does exist. When comparing the two: Intuitive Combat costs 5x as much ISP. Intuitive Combat takes 15 seconds of medication, Sixth Sense is automatic. Neither can be caught by surprise. Sixth Sense has a better Initiative bonus and a better Parry bonus. Intuitive Combat has a better Strike, Dodge, Disarm, Pull Punch, and Roll with Punch bonus (though the last two rarely need extra bonuses as they get decent bonuses through most combat skills already). Personally, I'd usually rather a higher Parry than a higher Dodge (because Parry is automatic, Dodge costs an attack). The main advantage I see for Intuitive Combat is the skill bonuses, which you're not likely to go swimming and climbing during combat (which this is meant to help, it's called Intuitive Combat after all).

Without psionics stacking, the little Rogue Scholar above would probably be much better off selecting Sixth Sense (to instantly warn of danger AND give bonuses, for less ISP) rather than Intuitive Combat (which they have to know ahead of time is coming, and costs a lot more of their very limited ISP pool). When considering the two abilities, I see Intuitive Combat as the pointless psionic (kind of like Increased Healing when compared to Healing Touch). That's at least my opinion on the matter. Though I am curious, if it is ruled only one psionic at a time, does that mean a Mind Melter couldn't activate a psi-sword after Sixth Sense goes off without disabling Sixth Sense? Because one of the main advantages to that minute warning is that it gave them time to activate their Psi-Sword (which gets harder to make mid-combat otherwise). This is more of a curiosity than a complaint, just to further see that line of thought.

On a totally side note: I don't think R:UE gimped Sixth Sense. In fact, it's pretty much how I already played the power. It is only a minor psionic power after all. If it were a Super Psionic (which I have nothing wrong with a super version of the power), then I'd agree it was totally gimped. I never believed the minor power should be the unbreakable defense for not only the psychic but everyone in 90 feet as well. That's just my personal take on it. I just wanted to offer the other view and don't intend to hijack the thread. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dead Boy wrote:
SamtheDagger wrote:I thought I'd bring up a point that hasn't been noted in this conversation. RUE 366 under Psionic Attacks per Melee: "Some psionic abilities can be used in conjunction with others, but in most cases, one psionic ability must end before another can be used." (emphasis my own)

For this reason I say in the OP's example the psi-sword power would have to end before the mask ISP & psionics power could be used. In particular I say this because the mask ISP & psionics power specifically addresses the issue of whether a psychic can use other powers in conjunction. Because the rules tell me in most cases one power has to end before another can be used, I don't see the psi-sword hanging in some kind of limbo and just not being usable until the mask ISP & psionics power is over as an option.

Well, that is a good find, I admit. But what about Intuitive Combat? It carries the same burdening limitation, but is made to enhance the psychic's ability in combat. What sense does it make to improve one's fighting prowess, and then tie their hands behind their back by negating all other powers?

Hm.
I'd go the other way- "What good is enhancing a person's combat abilities if all they're going to do is use psychic powers?"
Sure, Psi-Sword, TK-Punch, and a few others would benefit from the bonuses, but most psionic powers wouldn't really get anything. The +3 initiative bonus, I suppose, and the ability to not be surprised.
But The bonuses to parry, strike, dodge, pull punch, roll with impact, and disarm wouldn't do much good with Mind Bolt, Pyrokinesis, Electrokinesis, Empathig Transmission, Hypnotic Suggestion, Mentally Possess Others, etc. etc.
It's pretty much only good if you're going to get into physical combat with people, using weapons instead of your other powers.
Makes me think that it's built more for people who can't kick much butt with their powers, so they rely on physical combat instead.

Nemo235
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nemo235 »

Aye, good find. And it coincides to Wayne Breux's answer in the FAQ about super powers:

But, while the first quote says "..in most cases.." and the second quote says "..other skills and abilites requiring concentration..", and since there are no examples of psionics in combat, all we are left with are the specific powers that mention this limitation.

Five or six out of 40+ psionic powers is hardly "most cases".
So what are the "other skills and abilities", the "most cases", psionic and super powers that require such concentration that others cannot be used? What are the penalties to other combat and skill rolls?
How are GMs supposed to know if it is not mentioned in the description of the power and there are no examples of play?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”