Which Rifter articles have you used?

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Which Rifter articles have you used?

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

I've been wondering this for a long time:

Which Rifter articles have you used in your game, whether playing or GMing? Please provide experiences if possible.

I look forward to the replies and stories. :D
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Re: Which Rifter articles have you used?

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

I'd have to say the most extensive article I've used as a player is John Stevens CS TAG article from Rifter #23. It spawned a long multi-year play by email game with John, Jason Richards and several others. Had a blast and made some good online friends in the process. I think having a years long PBEM game with the same group speaks for itself though just how well this game went.

Now outside of that, well I've got a bunch of post-it notes sticking out of my Rifters for use, but I only play Rifts online anymore so most will likely not be used, but out of those a few stand outs include 'A Cut Above' from Rifter 30 and the articles on psychics in #19 and #25.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

All of the Shadow Magic/Shadow Creatures stuff, All of the Splicers stuff, including Senator Tiegs from the swimsuit issue, all of the Madhaven and Triax stuff, Archie stuff in Rifter #4, the janissary as an NPC, the non-oriental martial arts from multiple issues, the Russian Gods, Arcomi and other mental skills.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Lee Casebolt's martial arts article from Rifter #3.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
The Galactus Kid

Mantisking wrote:Lee Casebolt's martial arts article from Rifter #3.

do you also use the ones form Rifter #7?
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

No one else in my group runs Palladium games. They are all either so old school that they will only run AD&D 2nd edition or so new school that they will only run systems released within the last two years. There is about a twenty year old gap in there that the other GMs won't touch.

As a GM, I have used advice from Erick's very early Rifter articles and two BtS adventures adapted for a Nightbane campaign ("The Fairfield Inn" & "Call to Glory," I think were the titles).

A player, I have made use of the "Cyberjacking Across the Megaverse" article. I played a Digital God in a one-shot HU game back in the late nineties. I am currently playing a Coalition Digital Reaper in a play-by-post game.

As a writer, I've borrowed from "The Soul Tree" and "Primorder."
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Richards's P.P.E. channeling from #21 (but don't tell him, he'll get a big head about it), Evans's material on S.C.R.E.T., modified morphus tables from the first three to include them, both of the martial arts articles (including some of the stuff on ground-fighting) in some form or fashion, some of the variant TW stuff Richards did (I think), the alternate ranged combat skills heavily influenced my personal ranged-combat system, and I've even run a couple of the adventures (Bandits of Hollow Hill and the BtS one with the kidnapped girl, though I ran that as a Heroes game).

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head anyway.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

I loved the ranged combat rules, but I've never been in a game with another player who wants to try them.

The Shadow critters from the two different articles are something I am planning on using eventually. One of the very popular cryptids right now is the Shadow Person, and the Shademen from Rifter #47 would make a darn good match. I was writing an BtS adventure along these lines for Boxed Nightmares 2, but I ran out of time and had to cut it. Maybe it will show up in Boxed Nightmares 3.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
The Galactus Kid

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:I might be usind the new HF rules from R48, and I'm going to have Necro-TW stuff in an up coming session.

Where is this necro TW stuff? Also in #48?

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

It's "Dark Techno-Wizardry" by B. Fellows in Issue #13.

Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Mantisking wrote:Lee Casebolt's martial arts article from Rifter #3.
The Galactus Kid wrote:do you also use the ones form Rifter #7?

Hellllllllll no.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

The mental skills, the cooking rules, the ludicris magic, the geology rules and archmage spells (Obviously), the new mega powers. There are others, but not as much as that.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

All the martial arts stuff.

The Necro-Magic Stuff

ALternative Technowizards

MOST OCCs, but not the Murder Mage.

The Mystic Knight expansion in Rifter #45. Since KOTWR and Mystic Knight are so popular, I've found it very helpful.

Alternative Psionics, Most New Physical Skills, there's a whole bunch of stuff I use.
Greg Diaczyk
Comment: The Official "Wayne Smith Clone"

Unread post by Greg Diaczyk »

Obviously the ones that I've written (The Magic of Science in Palladium Fantasy (the Tinkerer), The Palladium Orient, The Expanded Mega-Heroes and the soon to be release Rifts Vehicle Construction Rules (tentative for Rifter #50)

As for other authors stuff:

PPE Channelling Rules
All Nightbane Morphus Tables
Hacking, Cyberjacking & Supernatural Data Theft Across the Megaverse
Nightbane: Tribes of the Moon (I consider this pretty much canon)
Archie Three/Titan Robotics
Ludicrous Mage and the Trickster/Card Magic

I'm sure there's more but thats what I recall off the top of my head
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"
Palladium Freelance Writer and Editor

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”