Rifters #40 & 45 or DRRPG?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DtMK
Hero

Rifters #40 & 45 or DRRPG?

Unread post by DtMK »

Next week, Rifter #45 comes out, featuring select parts of the Joshes' original work for Dead Reign. Me, I can't be happier! I'm looking SO forward to this! So in the heart of the 'I got it!' thread, I thought I'd make this thread for people to chime in on what they like about the DRRPG or the versions in the Rifters. I'm also planning on writing a review for the Dead Reign content in the latest Rifter as well. Will it be all I and others hoped? Will it be something we all expected to be in Dead Reign? Will the content featuring Brulyx, Gregius, the Benford Group and Brulyx' demon minions be the make or break for people wanting to play Dead Reign in their own games? Or do you prefer the style of DRRPG?

By the way, am I the first one to refer to it as DRRPG? Huh. That might count for something. Chine in and let everyone know what you think!
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Michael Barakofsky
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Rifters #40 & 45 or DRRPG?

Unread post by Michael Barakofsky »

Well I got Rifter #40 and the DRRPG, and personally I have to say I like the DRRPG better. The lack of who, what, & why being answered leaves the whole system open to a lot of posibilities.

Wow, I am the first to post on a topic I didnt start, I think thats a first for me.
"If ya pardon me plain speaking gentlemen: Are yall STARK RAVING TOTALLY BLINKING DAFT!?!?!" - Captain Silver, Treasure Planet
John 3:16 says it all
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nightbreed »

Wow, that was fast, i just got #44 this week.

Well, i prefer the #40 version. The fact that there are demons and magic involved makes the game that much better. (especially considering that a magic ritual was the cause for zombification) Most of the zombie games are usually disease caused or left as a "mystery". While cool, it kinda gets old at times. The #40 version adds a flavor that makes it better than the "average" zombie game.

Hope your review get's accepted DtMK. Good Luck! :mrgreen:
Michael Barakofsky
Megaversal® Ambassador

Well the reason I like the way DRRPG is written is because it gave me the ability to create the combo idea I posted in another thread, DR/NB/HU2 where select powers or morphus forms aspects are available to those who got sick but didn't die.

As to explaining why the dead reign, that was easy for me its a side affect of Rifts Earth going well nova for lack of a better term. As the ley lines flared and sent shock waves across the megaverse this particular parallel dimension caught a lot of crap from the magic radiation that washed into it. The magic had an unexpected reaction with the Altrucure and thus caused the downfall of humanity or did it?

As I had stated there are those humans who got sick but didnt die from it. For those people mutation durring the first year is the result. Some may gain super powers, some may gain aspects of a nightbanes morphus form, there will be those lucky (?) few with a little of both, possibly some might even have their minds opened to allow them to develop psionics I dont know yet on that front.
"If ya pardon me plain speaking gentlemen: Are yall STARK RAVING TOTALLY BLINKING DAFT!?!?!" - Captain Silver, Treasure Planet
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

Dead Reign + Rifter 45 for me. I like not having a definite answer for players sake, but since I'm the only one in my group who is likely to have the rifter, I can use it if I want and not spoil it for them.
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

It's all just source material to me.

That first Rifter material got me excited and I really liked the Brulyx back story, but I'm also loving Dead Reign and it's refreshing to have a Palladium setting minus the Ley-lines, Magic etc.

If I ever get a chance to run it, It'll probably be a mish-mash of the two depending on the players and my mood.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

DtMK wrote:Next week, Rifter #45 comes out, featuring select parts of the Joshes' original work for Dead Reign. Me, I can't be happier! I'm looking SO forward to this! So in the heart of the 'I got it!' thread, I thought I'd make this thread for people to chime in on what they like about the DRRPG or the versions in the Rifters. I'm also planning on writing a review for the Dead Reign content in the latest Rifter as well. Will it be all I and others hoped? Will it be something we all expected to be in Dead Reign? Will the content featuring Brulyx, Gregius, the Benford Group and Brulyx' demon minions be the make or break for people wanting to play Dead Reign in their own games? Or do you prefer the style of DRRPG?

By the way, am I the first one to refer to it as DRRPG? Huh. That might count for something. Chine in and let everyone know what you think!

As one of the total Zombie lovers of this generation . I will simply play both in seperat but equally divided dimensions . One being set in the DR setting as is , The other being set in the Dimension with a little bit of magic involved .

I love the fact that unless you bring magic into the DR setting , There is no magic or Rifts . Its sorta like a Prision Dimension of sorts . And I love that fact haha .
erc1971
Wanderer

Unread post by erc1971 »

DRRPG for me. It is a pure, 100% zombie game. No magic, no psionics, etc, etc. Just what I want out of the genre.

Eric
RIFTS..."It's ****ing Brilliant!" Kevin Sembieda May 5th 2006
Attended Palladium Open House, May 6th 2006, May 4th and 5th 2007, April 30th 2009, May 2nd 2009
Palladium Unofficial Employee
Kevin Siembieda to me during the big move: "Eric, you are a god!"
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Rifter #40 for me.

I like the unique setting that doesn't feel like WWZ with the zombies enjoying SNK Boss Syndrome.

As for supernatural elements it's the GM's game and it's up to them to decide what elements of the supernatural beside zombies that appear.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

I just got my copy of Rifter #45 last night. I'll look through the Court of Tarot and Mystic Knights stuff more thoroughly later. But if a rival force to the Lazlo Society or more background on our favorite skull wearing knights for hire isn't normally a dealbreaker, then you HAVE to get the issue for the Dead Reign material! The background info and timeline are fantastic, the forces of evil behind it are incredible, and Gregius and Brulyx are nothing short of horrific!

I'll do a full review later, but trust me, if you're running a Dead Reign game, no matter the genre or version you're running, you HAVE to pick up Rifter #45! It's the ultimate companion to #40 and DRRPG!
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nightbreed »

DtMK wrote:I just got my copy of Rifter #45 last night. I'll look through the Court of Tarot and Mystic Knights stuff more thoroughly later. But if a rival force to the Lazlo Society or more background on our favorite skull wearing knights for hire isn't normally a dealbreaker, then you HAVE to get the issue for the Dead Reign material! The background info and timeline are fantastic, the forces of evil behind it are incredible, and Gregius and Brulyx are nothing short of horrific!

I'll do a full review later, but trust me, if you're running a Dead Reign game, no matter the genre or version you're running, you HAVE to pick up Rifter #45! It's the ultimate companion to #40 and DRRPG!

Wasn't sure when it was coming out, though i'm glad my comic/game shop didn't have it as i bought ALOT of comics yesterday. I look forward to your review DtMK.
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

DtMK wrote:
...isn't normally a dealbreaker, then you HAVE to get...

Don't you mean "a deal closer"? I'd hope that the other articles won't prevent a perspective buy from purchasing Rifter. Seriously, the alternate DR article is excellent. The artwork matched the dark and morbid tone perfectly. It's sure to make a lot of favorites lists in the future.

To answer the thread question, I missed Rifter #40, so I can only base my answer upon what I read in #45. I liked Citizen Lazlo's version, but only slightly, moreso than Kevin's version.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

sHaka wrote:It's all just source material to me.

That first Rifter material got me excited and I really liked the Brulyx back story, but I'm also loving Dead Reign and it's refreshing to have a Palladium setting minus the Ley-lines, Magic etc.

If I ever get a chance to run it, It'll probably be a mish-mash of the two depending on the players and my mood.

Boo-yah! Player after my own gaming heart!
ImageImageImage
Michael Barakofsky
Megaversal® Ambassador

Well I finally got 45 like 2 days ago and finished reading it and 40 again. I can honestly say that while the rifters have a good storyboard and excellent plotline I will continue to run the book version as I have started to (which is by no means truly pure to the book).

However the 40 & 45 rifters would be good material to run for my Rifts group who are randomly bouncing through the dimensions on an uncontrolable ride to correct wrongs/protect the innocent in a miriad of dimensions. It would be perfect to land that group into the alternant dead reign setting.

Return to “Dead Reign™”