Prometheus Project: Region 7

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kirksmithicus
Explorer
Comment: Random Encounter #55

Prometheus Project: Region 7

Unread post by kirksmithicus »

Back by popular demand! okay, just because of one guy.

Introduction:
Bronze Age...........city states,.......you know the drill.
If not go here to the Prometheus Project Wiki. That is if rpg.net manages to work right sometime this week. :x

#1. Name of the Region

There is one minor rule though. The name of the region may not contain the letter A.
Last edited by kirksmithicus on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Wealth is hard to come by, but poverty is always at hand"
    -- Proverb from Ki-en-gir (Sumer), c. 2000 BCE

Prometheus Project
UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Re: Prometheus Project: Region 7

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

Some suggestions.. With out the letter A

Cyzerez
Foulfields
Molenor
Murunsel
Ugurol
Tunui
Queensfields
kirksmithicus
Explorer

While we wait for the poll results to finish lets move on to the next step.

In addition to the staple cereal crops each region also has 6 domesticated crops. Pick any six of the following.
  • Vetch
  • Onion
  • Rye
  • Tangerine
  • Peas
  • Chickpeas
  • Pistachios
  • Cherry
  • Hazel nuts
  • Eggplant
  • Grapes
  • Almonds
  • Ensete
  • Dates
  • Beets
  • Figs
  • Apples
  • Citron
  • Millet
  • Carrots
  • Olives
  • Cotton
  • Sorghum
  • Lemon
  • Lentils
  • Radish
  • Pomegranates
  • Quinces
  • Lime
  • Mung beans
  • Turnips
Last edited by kirksmithicus on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prometheus Project
kirksmithicus
Explorer

And the winner is Molenor

The 4 city states are:
  • Cyzerez
  • Murunsel
  • Ugurol
  • Tunui

Prometheus Project
Amberjack
Explorer

Unread post by Amberjack »

Hi All
I suggest for crops
Peas
Millet
Onions
Sorghum
Limes
and Dates

For herbs and spices
Mustard Seed
Dill Weed
Tarragon

For domestic animals
Horse, oxen, Sheep, Dog, and PIg
kirksmithicus
Explorer

Crops - check
Spices - check
Animals - check

From now on I think we'll refer to the 3 categories above as The Takeout Menu

Alright, all good. Now that's out the way lets move on to;

Naming conventions
    Male names often end in:
    Female names often end in:

Location and Geography:
You'll need the map for this, so here is a link to the shiny new color map by count zero.

Minimally a mountain ranges, two rivers, and whatever else seems like it needs a name. The mountain range to the east of Molenor was already given a name when we did Caulis. However, I want to make each region ethnocentric in its naming conventions, so we'll need a new name.

People and Culture
Give a couple of sentences or up to a paragraph describing the local inhabitants physical and cultural traits.

Languages
The main language is _________?, are there any minor languages spoken, if so what are they. If not, just post "No other languages"

This brings up a good question, what exactly is the plural form of the word Molenor when referring to a bunch of people from Molenor?

And my last question, I just can't seem to wrap my brain around Tunui, can someone tell me how this should be pronounced?
Last edited by kirksmithicus on Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prometheus Project
Amberjack
Explorer

Perhaps the people are the Lenor or Lenori , and Molenor means 'Home of the Lenor'.

Their root language could be Lenorian, with Molenorian being the modern commonly spoken form of Lenorian

The larger river to the south , The Do'gri River , emptying into the Bay of Mo'Kari (Serpent Home Bay)
Last edited by Amberjack on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
count zero
Explorer
Comment: I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Unread post by count zero »

kirksmithicus wrote:And my last question, I just can't seem to wrap my brain around Tunui, can someone tell me how this should be pronounced?

My suggestion: TUN-wee
though the more obvious pronounciation would be something like [TOO-noo-ee] or [too-NOO-ee]

Ø
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

count zero wrote:
kirksmithicus wrote:And my last question, I just can't seem to wrap my brain around Tunui, can someone tell me how this should be pronounced?

My suggestion: TUN-wee
though the more obvious pronounciation would be something like [TOO-noo-ee] or [too-NOO-ee]

Ø
I'd say toon-ue as in "oo" "ee" mashed together. :) Emphasis can be on either syllable.
kirksmithicus
Explorer

Thanks, for the help with that.

Naming conventions
    Male names often end in: ast, ver, ero, ame, iate, ern
    Female names often end in: ady, iss, enne, asha, alia, effe.

Location and Geography:
Need one more river, bay and mountain range.

People and Culture
Give a couple of sentences or up to a paragraph describing the local inhabitants physical and cultural traits.

Prometheus Project
Amberjack
Explorer

The smaller river to the North
Sonnar River ( The river Smoke)
The bay the Sonnar feeds into
Ishtoni Bay ( Bay of Turtles)
Eastern mountain range
Mo' Krai Mountains ( Dragon Home mountains)
kirksmithicus
Explorer

Very cool.

Anyone want to take a stab at one of the following?

People and Culture

Architecture

Clothing

Hair Styles

Sports and Leisure

Prometheus Project
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

I'm having a bit of free time coming up. I'll be able to contribute some more again but I'm not able to say exactly what and how much just yet. Just an FYI.
kirksmithicus
Explorer

I'm having a bit of free time coming up. I'll be able to contribute some more again but I'm not able to say exactly what and how much just yet. Just an FYI.

No problem, I know people get busy with real life. Looking forward to whatever you can contribute. :D

For right now I'm just trying to get some basics for the other regions, and working on existing material.

Architecture
Rural households revolve around the extended family. Each extended family or clan often lives in a single large house construction of wood and covered with thatch. These houses are built 8-10 ft. off the ground in order to keep the house from flooding during the heavy monsoon rains, and the floods often caused by these rains. during the drier seasons livestock (mainly pigs, but others also) are kept in pens / corrals located under the house. During floods the animals are brought into the main house. These one room houses can often reach 50-100 ft. in length and can accommodate a large number of people for sleeping and work activities.

Urban houses tend to be somewhat smaller and cities are constructed on higher ground to minimize flooding problems. Houses are generally two story, with the bottom floor constructed of thick stone that is accessible only from the second floor. The second floor is constructed of wood with a tile roof and a wooden floor. Large shuttered and slatted windows are common in order to keep the house both cool and dry.

Cooking and warmth is provided by a fired clay stove / oven located in the center of the dwelling. Often a small area covered with clay tiles in order to help prevent accidental fires.

Urban Lenori House with courtyard

Prometheus Project
kirksmithicus
Explorer

People and Culture
The Molenor are mostly fair-skinned, with the men generally having dense hair development. The average male height is around 5’7” with women being slightly shorter (5’5”). Most Molenor (as they are called by most foreigners) tend to be very broad shouldered and rather stocky.

The women tattooed their mouths, and sometimes the forearms. The mouth tattoos were started at a young age with a small spot on the upper lip, gradually increasing with size. The soot deposited on a pot hung over a fire of misheln bark is used for color its deep black color.

The Molenor are traditionally animists, believing that everything in nature has an amu or spirit on the inside. There is a hierarchy of the amu. The most important is grandmother earth, then amu of the mountains (Dragons), then the amu of animals, and lastly everything else. The Molenori have no priestly profession. The ruler of each city or the village headmen perform the required religious ceremonies as necessary and observe all the major and minor religious days. Ceremonies typically include animal sacrifices, libations of beer, uttering of prayers, and burning willow sticks that are bundled with scented wooden shavings and herbs. These sticks are called nusa. They are placed on an altar and the smoke from these offering’s are used to "send back" the amu of killed animals. The Molenor people also give thanks to the gods before eating and pray to the deity of fire in time of sickness. They believe their own spirits are immortal, and that their spirits will be rewarded hereafter by ascending to kural misor (Land of the Gods).

Clothing
The traditional Molenor dress is a robe spun from the inner bark of the bahan tree, called atusta or atushta and consist of a simple short robe with straight sleeves, which was folded around the body, and tied with a band about the waist. The sleeves ended at the wrist or forearm and the length generally was to the calves. Women also wear an undergarment of Jheran cloth (silk). Seamstresses are often hired to embroider traditional family and cultural designs onto these garments with the greatest seamstresses commanding very high prices for their work. Everyday wear consists of plain brown or white, short sleeved tunics and knee length pants. Younger and affluent Lenori often incorporate foreign clothing into their wardrobe as an indicator of their social status and disdain for the rigid traditional values of Lenori society.

Both sexes are fond of earrings, which are said to have been made of grapevine in former times but are now made of copper, brass, silver or gold. Bead necklaces called samatay, are a highly prized accessory among female Lenori of all social castes.

Prometheus Project

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”