How Did The Great Houses All End Up With Equal Bio-Tech?

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LostOne
Champion

How Did The Great Houses All End Up With Equal Bio-Tech?

Unread post by LostOne »

Think about it. Someone had to first develop the Engineers, Librarians and Gene-Pools and Saints. Saints eventually become a Librarian or Engineer, then after 50-65 years they turn into a Gene-Pool.

So some house out there had probably 70 years of genetic work before they had a working Gene-Pool to start manufacturing Host Armors. That should be a 70 year lead over the other houses, because until the Bio-Tech was proven there was no point in sending Saints to the other houses to start their Bio-Tech manufacturing. So if all the houses have Gene-Pools and Host Armors now, there is some house out there that is 70 years ahead of that.

Could be a campaign plot idea. Or maybe that house was wiped out somehow and all their extra advances were lost.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
slappy
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by slappy »

I assume that for the sake of human survival, the first developers were quick to share any of their creations.

Then as time went on, I think the Great Houses likely tried to develop their own unique weapons and equipment to give them an edge in Blood Feuds. However, I figure the ease with which Librarians can breakdown, analyze, and copy a genetic code would lead to a lot of "industrial espionage."

If any Splicers faced off against unknown Bio-Tech, they just need to capture a tissue sample for their Librarian and then their Great House instantly has access to the same gear.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

You're probably right, it makes a lot of sense.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Also kepe in mind that not all Great House fight each others. And that exist DIPLOMACY, ESPIONAGE and TRADING AGREEMENTS, other than simply wagin war against each other. The uniqueness of bio-tech is the main resourc eof most great houses and in some case the only valuable thing they got.
"recipes" are hold as precious secrets, while there could be some agreements that allow to get some samples. Due the ability of librarians to analyze and understand genetic materials, most try to not "sell" host armors or warmounts, or at least putting some genebombs in it. Like the Coca-cola inc or the Nestlè...only with more bio-cannons and being much less sadistic.
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

What if the Great House mentioned in the Book is the first house and the greatest of the houses. It's been awhile since I went thru the book, but is there a chart to generate great houses? If not, maybe we should assemble one. Just a thought.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Yeah, I was thinking along those sort of charts that people have created for Merc companies, circuses, space stations, and space ships. I think those sort of charts could be used to create hundreds of minor houses in the worlds of splicers.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Dark_Lightning
Wanderer

Unread post by Dark_Lightning »

the way i had understood the back story was this: As Splicer tech was being developed, the Resistance started to gain in numbers. in the early days, there may have been a few thousand humans left and presented a unified front against the Machine. however, over time, the numbers swelled. the leaders agreed to split into factions or cells so that a: they aren't all grouped together in case N.E.X.U.S. decided to nuke again and b: they can cover more ground and take away more from the Machine. so, they each take a bit of Splicer tech with them as the future Houses go their separate ways.

and, of course, over time the Resistance has taken to espionage and Cold War tactics against each other to gain the upper hand, but each House still holds the number one priority of destroying N.E.X.U.S.
"If you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." Chris Titus, comedian.
Aramanthus
Monk

That is an interesting concept. Do you have any idea for a name of your own house?

HH....FIE
Dark_Lightning
Wanderer

actually, my house is House Titus. it is the originator of the Tsunami Squad O.C.C., the Aquatic Host Armor, and two new War Mounts.

actually, i plan on modifying the Merc company tables to make a House for Splicers. anyone interested?
"If you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." Chris Titus, comedian.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Dark_Lightning wrote:actually, i plan on modifying the Merc company tables to make a House for Splicers. anyone interested?

Yes
Aramanthus
Monk

I'm interested in seeing the results of your modification to those tables.

HH....FIE
Dark_Lightning
Wanderer

alrighty, then. i'll see what i can pull off. it'll take some time, but the basics will be:

Size of the House
Level of security
Medical capacity
and so on. i'm also going to include a general listing of their Splicer tech, i.e.: no unique tech of their own, some new developments, or unique, highly secret Splicer tech.
Aramanthus
Monk

That sounds pretty awesome already. I can't wait to see it! I know the others want to see it too!

HH....FIE
Dark_Lightning
Wanderer

BOOM_DOOMER wrote:To tell you the truth this would come in very handy in many different aspects of my involvment with this game, being able to use a table creation of a house would give my short story some interesting small houses that have a unique niche in the community.

Being able to create small or large houses that have added colonies that are also small versions of the origional would be benificial for all G.M.'s then you have a way to control or limit the strength of a group of players all due to the limits of the sizes of gene-pools or better yet the experience levels of librarians as well.

BOOMER aka Mills.

that's kind of the same idea i've had. not all Houses will be superior in numbers, or have any original tech of their own. some Houses may even be a few years old and trying desperately to hold ground against the Machine. then you'll have Houses that are nearly as reputable as House of the Barren Marsh, complete with their own variant tech and large troop numbers. with the table you'll also be able to select a base economy, population, as well as whether or not a House has decent security measures.
Aramanthus
Monk

And then we can compare them to the House Shiva!

HH....FIE
Dark_Lightning
Wanderer

Re: How Did The Great Houses All End Up With Equal Bio-Tech?

still working on stuff. hope no one's given up on me!!!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Histpry is written by the victors...there may have been Houses that originally developed the stuff, and got rubbed out by the Houses that acquired it for themselves...

And if you buy the theory that one of NEXUS's avatars introduced the biotech to the rebels, she'd make sure it was fairly evenly distributed by mysterious means...

Sure, either of the above is unsettling, but so's all of Splicers.... :twisted:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Nope! We haven't given up on you Dark Lightning! Thank you for updating us!

HH....FIE
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

taalismn wrote:And if you buy the theory that one of NEXUS's avatars introduced the biotech to the rebels, she'd make sure it was fairly evenly distributed by mysterious means...

I still can't figure out how that would have worked. How a machine is supposed to have introduced bio-tech to the resistance. I just can't come up with any real conceivable ideas, unless it was a nex-android passing itself off as a human (possibly eccentric human) scientist and managed to pull it off without their secret being revealed.
slappy
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by slappy »

I like to think that the Eve personality acts pretty overtly from time to time. She may have just handed over a Gene Pool organism and coached them on how to get started.

Along these same overt lines, maybe the Lilith personality impersonated Eve and gave Bio-Tech to the Resistance. I could just see her combing through their massive cryo banks of alien DNA and stumbling across them and saying, "Oh these look dangerous. This is going to fun."

That's kind of the open ended nature of Bio-Tech. Yes it's powerful, but its mysterious origin makes you wonder how benevolent it truly is. What's the end game. Maybe it's part of an elaborate alien invasion. Defeating the Machine may ultimately be the worst thing for humanity.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

LostOne wrote:
taalismn wrote:And if you buy the theory that one of NEXUS's avatars introduced the biotech to the rebels, she'd make sure it was fairly evenly distributed by mysterious means...

I still can't figure out how that would have worked. How a machine is supposed to have introduced bio-tech to the resistance. I just can't come up with any real conceivable ideas, unless it was a nex-android passing itself off as a human (possibly eccentric human) scientist and managed to pull it off without their secret being revealed.

Releases a Librarian or a dozen from a secret bio-engineering lab, where the Resistance can find the critters...the poor sap who's merged with the organism is too traumatized/brainwashed to tell that it was the Machine that intro'ed him to the symbiote...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Actually Taalismn! That makes sense in a very nasty way! Then in your theory the machines have an advanced lab hidden somewhere! Eeekk!

HH....FIE
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Or the organisms could've attached to the humans during an ancient space exploration similar to what happens in the movie Alien.

They just happened to still be in cryo-freeze. The N.E.X.U.S. didn't really know what they were capable of, but were released for other reasons.

Maybe they were "rescued" by a Resistance attack on the facility that had them in cold storage.
Aramanthus
Monk

Could be. It makes sense! I can see someone or something free them. Maybe there is another hidden program at work in Nexus that it doesn't know about that is trying to save humanity.

HH....FIE
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Had this thought I'd throw out there, inspired by a TV show (The 4400)

The Bio-Tech wasn't from aliens, or the Machine in some guise, it was from the Splicers of the future. They sent it back in time.
Aramanthus
Monk

That is a legitimate source for it. It has been done in others scifi venues too. So it could work.

HH....FIE
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Aramanthus wrote:That is a legitimate source for it. It has been done in others scifi venues too. So it could work.

I agree, but I try not to think about it too much...those kinds of paradoxes or time loops make my head hurt. ;)
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

The time travel , I've never thought bout that possibility...yet at this point is possible that the bio-tech originated from an other parallel dimension(Wormwood, Eylor...bio-tech themed world, there are many mostly evil).
But I've another theory. We puzzled about Splicer origin, but i puzzle instead about NEXUS origin. Don't take it form the bad side, but you've to admit that the "ladies" are quite advanced machines compared to megaversal standard, with few exception. Is weird. What if the Biotech and the improvemente in cybernetic originated from "cannibalizing" some ancient Artifacts, perhaps of alien origin, perhaps related to some humanoid hating cyborgs who are masters of cybernetic and genetics(many forgot this about them, they hate bipedals not organics)...
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Aramanthus
Monk

I do remember that about those beings. It would be interesting if we could see the true origins of both I agree. I would love to have this answered someday!

HH....FIE
Kryzbyn
Hero
Comment: How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan

Re: Re:

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

duck-foot wrote:
slappy wrote:I assume that for the sake of human survival, the first developers were quick to share any of their creations.

Then as time went on, I think the Great Houses likely tried to develop their own unique weapons and equipment to give them an edge in Blood Feuds. However, I figure the ease with which Librarians can breakdown, analyze, and copy a genetic code would lead to a lot of "industrial espionage."

If any Splicers faced off against unknown Bio-Tech, they just need to capture a tissue sample for their Librarian and then their Great House instantly has access to the same gear.

I agree with this assumption. with mankind on the brink of extinction it is only natural to want to help your species survive.

I can still see some of the houses holding somethings back...nothing major but maybe little things that can make the difference in a house war.
I also kinda figured that each house's dreadguards have have slightly similar appearances...if the same grp of people live and grow up together sharing similar ideas...or using an existing dreaguard's host armor's look as an idea or to pay homage to your house's finest warriors...maybe similarities come out of the pool this way, enough maybe that each house can recognize thier own dreadguards on the battlefield...and apart from each other.

BAD MOMMA DOG-FACE BANANA PATCH
"Well said, Kryzbyn! :ok: " -Killer Cyborg
"...I have to agree with the questions and comments made by Kryzbyn." - The man himself, Kevin Siembieda
+100 "acting like a real man" points - DLDC
"Damnit, we agree on something. It's time to rethink my position." - Misfit KotLD
HIPPIES ARE WHAT D-BEES EAT
LostOne
Champion

Re: Re:

Unread post by LostOne »

Kryzbyn wrote:I also kinda figured that each house's dreadguards have have slightly similar appearances...if the same grp of people live and grow up together sharing similar ideas...or using an existing dreaguard's host armor's look as an idea or to pay homage to your house's finest warriors...maybe similarities come out of the pool this way, enough maybe that each house can recognize thier own dreadguards on the battlefield...and apart from each other.

House Shiva (Rifter 37 and 38) has this, and I think it's a good idea. All their host armors follow the same coloration and facial design scheme.

I've adopted it for my group's games. The house our group is in (House Murphy) all have a specific tribal marking that completely covers the chest and back. The forehead and back of the head have a number for identification. There's no rhyme or reason to the number (like in football, the quarterback isn't always #1) so it doesn't give the enemy an advantage. The number and tribal tattooing can glow due to bio-luminescent pigmentation, and always glows if ever exposed to intense UV light like from a black light.

That marking appears on all house bio-tech, it's on the handles of the weapons, it's on all host armors, living armors, biotics, war mounts, etc.

Return to “Splicers®”