Whats your most HATED occ?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Whats your most HATED occ?

Coalition OCC (list individual worst if you want)
8%
Cyber Knight
10%
Gunslinger (any variant)
8%
Magic OCC (specify below)
13%
Ninja (any variant)
19%
Other Men of Arms OCC (specify below)
6%
Psychic OCC (specify below)
5%
Scholar/Adventurer OCC (specify below)
6%
Other
25%

Total votes: 106

Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Re: Whats your most HATED occ?

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

I voted other...
I haven't found an OCC/ RCC I really hate yet.
Only ones I realy dislike are the Preacher and the Saloon Bum. You could make a Vagabond who could do the same jobs...
But, I still don't really hate the OCCs, I just consider them useless.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Re:

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

dark brandon wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:Are we not allowed to want both, but in seperate settings? :?

I think what he's saying is that since Phase world is a dimention book, people treat it like a source book, thus wanting to play phase world character in a rifts setting.

Which is, of course, allowable.
The name of the game being RIFTS...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Re: Re:

Unread post by dark brandon »

Vrykolas2k wrote:
dark brandon wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:Are we not allowed to want both, but in seperate settings? :?

I think what he's saying is that since Phase world is a dimention book, people treat it like a source book, thus wanting to play phase world character in a rifts setting.

Which is, of course, allowable.
The name of the game being RIFTS...

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

I voted The original non-specialized Techno-Wizard, I have the Rifters issue with the variant TW's that I can respect though.

Making them specialized makes them more versitile and team orinetated.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

ak-73 wrote:
Dead Boy wrote:
clinto1022 wrote:i gotta go with the entire "Coalition War Campaign" book. It was the book that changed rifts forever. From cool, in the beginning, to "munchkin" where it is now. I loved the coalition, in the main book. Then they had to go too far, IMO. otherwise i always hated the cyber-knights...........Super-SAMAS, why?

Actually that was one of my favorites. Why? Because it turned the CS from the over rated bad guys that even your typical Vagabond could eff with, into the guys that genuinely make the players and PC's wet their pants on sight.

I don't see that. Take a squad of 8 classic Deadboy Grunts, for example, and put them against a group of 4 or 5 low-level PCs (no PAs please) and your party will probably struggle to not lose the one or the other PC.

Let's face it: the Grunts are by default the Stormtroopers(tm) of the Rifts world. In my mind they're supposed to be way better than most npc mercs/bandits/etc but still not as good the players. And yes, in my book a Vagabond PC should probably be at least equal if not better than an average npc merc - they're the heroes of the story, no?

As for PAs or high-level PCs - I don't want them to wet their pants on sight of such a Deadboy squad. ;) Unless they have to fear reenforcements... :D

Alex

Responding to the bolded part:

Which is wrong, the players should be afraid to get into a shooting match with an enemy ready, willing and able to kill them.

Wet their collective pants, no, be concerned that getting into a battle may end their lives, yes.

I recall nowhere in Star Wars did the heros say anything along the lines of "Oh bother, its more of those pesky Storm Troopers. Mayhaps we should do something."

It was more like "Oh ****, Storm Troopers!!!"

The infamous Storm Trooper Syndrome is due to the perception that heros need to off hundreds of no-name extras to prove just how heroic they are.

I agree that PCs are the heros of the game but even the heros need a lesson in humility occasionally and nothing serves it up better than an ass-handing-to-them by a squad of Grunts.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

csbioborg wrote:Amazons come in second. While its quite cool and out reaching to female players to have these SN Str MD girls wearing from the SA WB pict lepord fur runing around slaying the bad guys it just dosen't make sense. In the broader scheme wouldn't the world's females or at leasat those of that alanatean comunity slowly have been bred out by Amazons over the centuaries.

Crunching the statistics it seems that after the first couple of children there is a decent chance that an Amazon will have at least one male child. Given the longer life span of the Atlanteans that are the usual mates of Amazons...Basically the Amazons will grow in population but rather slower than what some people might think.

My personal disliked class is the Paratrooper. I'm sorry but the writer should have spent time with my favorite Major in the 101st Airborne. Paratroopers are not fearless. they are just willing to face their fear and work through it.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Its been so long I dont even remember.
I think I was the one guy who voted for Psychic.

They just bug the crap out of me.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

I really hate most of the OCCs from Rifts Japan, so I voted ninja, but the traditional samurai are just as bad. The hundred thousand nearly identical military OCCs have also earned my ire, mainly for being so redundant.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
speedy_petey
D-Bee

Unread post by speedy_petey »

None, I love them all equally!
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Sadly, I have to say that I despise magic users in all Palladium games. The special nifty powers for each OCC magic user are good, but the absolute silliness and boredom inducing magic spell list is too dull to ever elicit much reaction from myself or any player...ever.

As such, I took the spells from other nameless games and made them available instead of the regular spell list and finally got someone to actually play a magic user in a Palladium game.

The psionic characters, ninjas, anything else are very good, but magic users...they just aren't that good.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

I have alway disliked Floopers and Shapers. I'm not sure why. Both just bother me. I can't wait for FOM2 to come out. Imo the mages need a small boost in terms of power.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Rockwolf66 wrote:
csbioborg wrote:Amazons come in second. While its quite cool and out reaching to female players to have these SN Str MD girls wearing from the SA WB pict lepord fur runing around slaying the bad guys it just dosen't make sense. In the broader scheme wouldn't the world's females or at leasat those of that alanatean comunity slowly have been bred out by Amazons over the centuaries.

Crunching the statistics it seems that after the first couple of children there is a decent chance that an Amazon will have at least one male child. Given the longer life span of the Atlanteans that are the usual mates of Amazons...Basically the Amazons will grow in population but rather slower than what some people might think.

My personal disliked class is the Paratrooper. I'm sorry but the writer should have spent time with my favorite Major in the 101st Airborne. Paratroopers are not fearless. they are just willing to face their fear and work through it.

I'm saying the community has been in existence for quite some time. It would eventually become half male alatean and half amazonian without any normal women.
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Sureshot
Champion

Rockwolf66 wrote:My personal disliked class is the Paratrooper. I'm sorry but the writer should have spent time with my favorite Major in the 101st Airborne. Paratroopers are not fearless. they are just willing to face their fear and work through it.

It's not so much that I dislike the Paratrooper OCC it's just that it's a class that I think is more approriate to Heroes Unlimited or Nightbane or Ninja and Superspies. When you have jetpacks who cost are pretty affordable and the skies over Rifts Earth are anyting but safe I just can't see why it was included.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

femfan wrote:
I'm saying the community has been in existence for quite some time. It would eventually become half male alatean and half amazonian without any normal women.

Well you seem to be assuming that the atlanteans are all male. There are female ones for the guys to marry. They don't have to marry Amazons...Although I'd be afraid to turn one down :D

Of course not it just states that the Amazons feale offspring are all ways Amazons therefore the number of Amazons proportionate to female Altalteans would increase ever generation until all that remained were Amazons
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Magic OCC I love them, but I find they should have more P.P.E. to start and I don't like how some magic items can cast more spells than a normal sorcerer can. Magic items should be more rare and mages should have more pride like Mind mages and depend on spells more over items. If you were a mage wouldn't you seek out magic tattoos to increase your P.P.E.?
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
dark brandon
Knight

K20A2_S wrote:
runebeo wrote:Magic OCC I love them, but I find they should have more P.P.E. to start and I don't like how some magic items can cast more spells than a normal sorcerer can. Magic items should be more rare and mages should have more pride like Mind mages and depend on spells more over items. If you were a mage wouldn't you seek out magic tattoos to increase your P.P.E.?

I agree to a certain level, seems like everyone who is a magic user always end up depending on their TW items and not their natural abilities.

As rare as TW items are suppose to be, KS and other writers hand them out like crazy to every NPC along with the splugorth slaver force field necklace..............feel like he hands one to everyone...

I actually disagree with this. I think in many ways it's foolish for a mage to just rely on his "natural" abilities. Most mages start with a good amount of PPE (about 100 or more), and TW items seem to be a good "progression" of mages, especially if one plays magic the way the rules are stated. As for how rare TW items are, note that most of the TW items are usually fairly expensive.

If I was a mage, I'd probably wear EBA, learn to use a rifle and MA, as well as get some magic tattoos, mainly because there is little stopping me from actually getting all of that.

Mind mages to note, don't really have the fear of being killed in one hit (it can happen), where as the possibility of dieing in one hit is very real in RIFTS.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

My most hated OCC?

Yours.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Cosmo Knight. Hands down. I HATE the cosmo knight.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
csbioborg
Champion

The Galactus Kid wrote:Cosmo Knight. Hands down. I HATE the cosmo knight.

since your here there is a scene in one of the older Knights of the Forge rifter articles where the main cosmo knight goes through a star. Stars basically are in a constant state of nuclear fusion which should cause massive kinetic cuncusive force that I thought would rip a cosmo knight despite his immune from energy to shreds. Was the story just tasking liberty with canon or am I not understanding something
dark brandon
Knight

csbioborg wrote:

since your here there is a scene in one of the older Knights of the Forge rifter articles where the main cosmo knight goes through a star. Stars basically are in a constant state of nuclear fusion which should cause massive kinetic cuncusive force that I thought would rip a cosmo knight despite his immune from energy to shreds. Was the story just tasking liberty with canon or am I not understanding something

1) He wasn't the auther of that rifter article.

2) The cosmo-knight has an ability that lets him travel the speed of light...but in the description it says that he becomes a ray of light...so...the kinetic energy force wouldn't have harmed him

3) It's a comic therefor not bound by the laws of reality. Just like in movies and cartoons people can do things they normally can't do IRL as long as it has the "Awesome" or "cool" factor.
Phadeout
Explorer

Unread post by Phadeout »

Ghost wrote:Nega-Psychic R.C.C.
"Oh, I just don't belive in magic - nevermind that the Shifter just ripped a hole in reality."
Bleh! :x
I have no problem with the Psi-Nullifier, for them it's a REFLEXSIVE defense from exposure to the supernatural. Not the "my will is stronger than the megaverse" crap from the Nega-Psychic.

Yes, ditto.

And to think they are in the same book as the Nullifier too... I really hate the Nega-Psychic and they basically don't exist in my version of Rifts.
Phadeout

"Are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Phadeout wrote:
Ghost wrote:Nega-Psychic R.C.C.
"Oh, I just don't belive in magic - nevermind that the Shifter just ripped a hole in reality."
Bleh! :x
I have no problem with the Psi-Nullifier, for them it's a REFLEXSIVE defense from exposure to the supernatural. Not the "my will is stronger than the megaverse" crap from the Nega-Psychic.

Yes, ditto.
And to think they are in the same book as the Nullifier too... I really hate the Nega-Psychic and they basically don't exist in my version of Rifts.

Have to agree, here. The Nullifier thinks "Magic can mess me up. I don't want any of that on me." The Nega-Psychic is essentially deluded.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Sureshot
Champion

I don't hate the CK per say. It just that they way their code of conduct is written up it's so hard to play one that does not break one of their rules of conduct. No one in my group wants to play one because of it.

Enlightened Grognard

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Sureshot wrote:I don't hate the CK per say. It just that they way their code of conduct is written up it's so hard to play one that does not break one of their rules of conduct. No one in my group wants to play one because of it.

Which part makes it hard to play?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Rifts®”