Is N&SS as complicated as it appears?

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

erc1971
Wanderer

Is N&SS as complicated as it appears?

Unread post by erc1971 »

Hello everyone,

I was looking around for a game that might play a little faster and easier than Cyberpunk 2020 (I love the game, but with my current group it is really bogging things down :( ). I thought to myself "Hey, the palladium system has guns, cybernetics, and the other trimmings to make a cool Cyberpunk game."

I borrowed my friend's copy of N&SS and started thumbing through it. I absolutely loved the OCC's and found the additional cybernetics (compared to Rifts) to be exactly what I was looking for. I was getting pumped out about the prospect of converting over to this system.

Then, I got the martial arts and rules sections. Dropping the mystical Chi powers would be a given for my style of campaign, and would be easy enough to do. But then I see that some characters would have multiple martial arts styles and would have to swap back and forth between them for varying bonuses and weapon katas. Then I got to the massive number of options that can be done during hand to hand combat; multiple punches, kicks, criticals, throws, knock outs, auto attacks, etc, etc, etc. I have been playing Palladium games since 1991 and my head was spinning!

My question is this: Is N&SS simpler than it first appears, or is it truly a game for people who love a more detailed rule set?

Thanks,
Eric
RIFTS..."It's ****ing Brilliant!" Kevin Sembieda May 5th 2006
Attended Palladium Open House, May 6th 2006, May 4th and 5th 2007, April 30th 2009, May 2nd 2009
Palladium Unofficial Employee
Kevin Siembieda to me during the big move: "Eric, you are a god!"
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

You might want to get Mystic China; it clears up a lot of the unclear combat terms.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Mantisking
Hero

Re: Is N&SS as complicated as it appears?

Unread post by Mantisking »

erc1971 wrote:Then, I got the martial arts and rules sections. Dropping the mystical Chi powers would be a given for my style of campaign, and would be easy enough to do. But then I see that some characters would have multiple martial arts styles and would have to swap back and forth between them for varying bonuses and weapon katas. Then I got to the massive number of options that can be done during hand to hand combat; multiple punches, kicks, criticals, throws, knock outs, auto attacks, etc, etc, etc. I have been playing Palladium games since 1991 and my head was spinning!

My question is this: Is N&SS simpler than it first appears, or is it truly a game for people who love a more detailed rule set?

It can be a handful at first. All the new options can seem overwhelming, but they just require a little bit of book-keeping. Then after a while people will naturally trim down the amount of moves they use, generally sticking with the stronger ones. Then, after that, once people become really familiar with the new moves they'll be able to remember them with out the book, or maybe with a little shorthand. It just takes time, just like any new game system or set of rules.
erc1971
Wanderer

Unread post by erc1971 »

Mantisking wrote:
erc1971 wrote:Then, I got the martial arts and rules sections. Dropping the mystical Chi powers would be a given for my style of campaign, and would be easy enough to do. But then I see that some characters would have multiple martial arts styles and would have to swap back and forth between them for varying bonuses and weapon katas. Then I got to the massive number of options that can be done during hand to hand combat; multiple punches, kicks, criticals, throws, knock outs, auto attacks, etc, etc, etc. I have been playing Palladium games since 1991 and my head was spinning!

It can be a handful at first. All the new options can seem overwhelming, but they just require a little bit of book-keeping. Then after a while people will naturally trim down the amount of moves they use, generally sticking with the stronger ones. Then, after that, once people become really familiar with the new moves they'll be able to remember them with out the book, or maybe with a little shorthand. It just takes time, just like any new game system or set of rules.

Thanks for the answer.

It does let me know that N&SS won't work well with my current group - we have lots of guys who like rule light systems. While Rifts or PFRPG would work (and I do plan on running Rifts down the line ;) ), all the book keeping, etc with N&SS would be a big turn off for them.

Thanks again,
Eric
Attended Palladium Open House, May 6th 2006, May 4th and 5th 2007, April 30th 2009, May 2nd 2009
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

macksting wrote:Rifts is rule light?
I'm missing something. I'm not trying to be rude, or dense, but I'm missing something here.

:lol: I'm finding it to be the best joke ever! :P
erc1971
Wanderer

Unread post by erc1971 »

I'm missing something. I'm not trying to be rude, or dense, but I'm missing something here.

Compared to N&SS it is, lol

Seriously, I find Rifts very easy to work with, same with Heroes Unlimited and PFRPG. The N&SS book just seems to add several layers of complexity to the rules that Rifts, etc don't have.

Eric
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Palladium games (all of them) are complicated and overly contradictory rules wise...if you are having issues with CP 2020 then I would not recommend any palladium game for cutting rules times.

Palladium games are, however, VERY FUN. It is, in my opinion, the most fun set of games by any game producer. The rules are ick, but the games are FUN! and that is what is important.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Bah, Rolemaster is simple...try Phoenix Command from Leading Edge Games...it was pure pain!!

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

LEG also had an Aliens game that used the same system -- WOW talk about fun (and lethal)! But, ultimately, I agree. Palladium is FUN; it is complex, but that just adds to the enjoyment once everyone is up to speed with a basic understanding of the rules.

Have you tried the RECON system? With a few mods to the rules it can include the cybernetics and other equipment needed for Cyberpunk.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
Library Ogre

Tyciol wrote:Chi is insane, it can conquer any chiless world.

A chiless world would be a dead world.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Re: Re:

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Stormchild wrote:
grendelhall wrote: so any other system I go into just seems TOO simple...
Try Rolemaster :D

I recall Ars Magica being insane with rules too.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Re:

ash_wednesday wrote:
erc1971 wrote:

Compared to N&SS it is, lol
..uh...nope.
With N&SS you have normal combat, skills, advance combat, weapons, armour, a little fluff, chi and some bad guys.

In Rifts you have normal combat, skills, advance combat, weapons, armour, chi (I think Rifts China has it) and some bad guys. PLUS magic, ESP stuff, bonics, MDC, Gods, monsters, more advance rules, PPE (goes with magic), a lot of fluff, hover cars, mutants, and a legal blend of all the other PB books as well.

Actually, Rifts Japan has Chi=PPE and Rifts China has Chi=ISP. Figure that one out.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Not that again. There are ways to defeat Chi users, they're not unstoppable.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Library Ogre

Re: Re:

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Stormchild wrote:
grendelhall wrote: so any other system I go into just seems TOO simple...
Try Rolemaster :D

I recall Ars Magica being insane with rules too.

It looks a lot worse than it is; most of those have to do with Lab work.

All Palladium Articles
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Mantisking wrote:

Not that again. There are ways to defeat Chi users, they're not unstoppable.

A volley of four plasma LRMs should do the trick.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”