Board index » Palladium Books® Multimedia » Rifts® Movie

 


Post new topic Reply to topic

Do you think the RIFTS the movie will ever get off the ground?
Yes 41%  41%  [ 125 ]
No 59%  59%  [ 181 ]
Total votes : 306
Author Message
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:59 am
  

Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:36 pm
Posts: 388
I give it 5-10 years to get off the ground.

_________________
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:

You should change your title to Necromancer.


Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:05 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 10:29 pm
Posts: 2024
You're missing a category: I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath. :P

While I think it could make a truly epic, memorable groundbreaking movie (like the Matrix) if done right, I think it might be a bit too far "out there" for the big studios to actually proceed with. I hope I'm wrong.

_________________
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:21 pm
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:01 pm
Posts: 5361
Location: Desolation Row
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.
Yes.

Remember, movies are not made overnight.

Take, for example, how long it took Lord of the Rings to reach the silver screen after it was first announced.

~ Josh

_________________
Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:47 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:24 pm
Posts: 1157
Location: Praxus
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!
I would be inclined to say "no", but its alrady been pointed out that Epics with lots of special effects tend to take a long time to hit theaters.
Assuming Palladium is still in business I'd say around 3-5 years.
So my final answer is "Yes".

_________________
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:13 pm
  

User avatar
Wanderer

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:02 pm
Posts: 65
Location: Future Xiticix Occupied City of Winnipeg
I think Disney is gonna see how the Live-action Transformers movie is gonna work out before they work on Rifts. It's directed by Micheal Bay(Pearl Harbour), so the arial combat should be pretty cool. Steven Spielberg is also listed in the production.

_________________
"Do not disturb, I'm disturbed enough already!"

"You say PYSCHO like its a bad thing"


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:58 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 2411
Location: The Servodome, in downtown Servotopia
I voted "no..." but that could just be my pre-Valentine's Day cynicism doing the talking.

I want to see it, to be sure, but unless some big news (GOOD news) is released I just don't hold out a lot of hope for it.

Oh well... here's hoping I'll eventually be proved wrong.

_________________
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:31 pm
  

Hero

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 988
Location: Southern Ohio
I think it will be made, but then again I'm biased.

My reason being as many times as Bruckheimer/Disney have had to duke this out with Kevin, his agent and the attorneys they've had so many opportunities to walk away its not funny, but they come back every time and agree to the desired terms and conditions.

I think Bruckheimer wants this to bad to let it go. The man is very smart and knows a good thing when he sees it.

_________________
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...


Image


Last edited by Maryann on Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:12 am
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:25 pm
Posts: 3121
Location: South of the Devil's Gate (St. Louis, MO)
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.
Last I heard, things sounded good. But with Hollywood, things can change over-night. :-?

_________________
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:39 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 2411
Location: The Servodome, in downtown Servotopia
Maryann wrote:
I think it will be made, but then again I'm biased.

My reason being as many times as Bruckheimer/Disney have had to duke this out with Kevin, his agent and the attorneys they've had so many opportunities to walk away its not funny, but they come back every time and agree to the desired terms and conditions.

I think Bruckheimer wants this to back to let it go. The man is very smart and knows a good thing when he sees it.


Well, you're definitely more "in the know" than I'll likely ever be... so that at least makes me feel a little bit better about the whole thing. :)

_________________
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:28 am
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:17 pm
Posts: 106
Location: Western US
Well, if Disney does eventually decide they don't want it, perhaps the rights to the movie could be sold to whomever made the 300... A Rifts movie done the way the 300 was done would be absolutely incredible. Best part is, they wouldn't need Frank Miller to do a Graphic Novel first, they could use Machinations of Doom for inspiration.

:D --GJ.

_________________
"Wujcik rules!!!"


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:03 pm
  

User avatar
Rifter® Contributer

Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:01 am
Posts: 1647
Location: Arlington, VA
I believe it will be, but that it's going to take some significant time. It's right up JB's alley, but he has a lot on his plate, so we all have to sit and patiently wait.

_________________
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Image
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:37 am
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 1:16 am
Posts: 614
Location: Avon, IN
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...
The books may take decades to arrive but I have a feeling we will see the Rifts movie even sooner. The recent tragedy at PB only makes me think we will see it even sooner. The concept of Rifts would translate well to the big screen imho and it would help draw people into the game which can only help PB in the long run.

I am hopeful.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:57 am
  

Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:02 am
Posts: 237
Location: south bend Indiana
I think that by the time this movie gets made, I'll be too old to care. (and probably too old to see it) Like the one thread said, The Rifts will come before the movie does.

_________________
"What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous ****** in the jungle."


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:01 pm
  

Hero

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 988
Location: Southern Ohio
slade wrote:
Man i've heard about rifts the movie for a few years now and i dont think if theyve been streching it this far. Movies no matter how great dont take decades to make. in one seen you got a nice little boy whos 15 next scene hes a thirtie year old. I think a rumor got started and got out of hand. Also palladium is still having a little trouble and a movie is probaly the last thing on thier mind since they cost hundreds of thousands



Ummmm, Palladium isn't the producer, Jerry Bruckheimer is. It isn't a rumor its an option. It hasn't been decades, just four years in development...

_________________
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...


Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:30 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:59 am
Posts: 451
Location: Olathe, KS
slade wrote:
Maryann wrote:
Ummmm, Palladium isn't the producer, Jerry Bruckheimer is. It isn't a rumor its an option. It hasn't been decades, just four years in development...


thats a decade and how many more do we have to wait to see this awesome movie? anoth couple decades. but dont get me wrong i would love to see that movie and am praying it does come out but I think palladium is more interested in their books right now as they are eiaser to generate and quiker to make



-A decade is 10 years, not 4. It will be another 6 years before it has been a decade since the announcement.
-Palladium can keep concentrating on books because they will not be making the movie. Jerry Bruckheimer and Disney hold the option to make the movie, and it is up to them when, or if, this movie is produced.

-Chris

_________________
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:46 pm
  

Adventurer

Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:57 am
Posts: 508
Location: Magic Zone
Definitions of 'decade'
(dĕkād, dĕ-kād) - 2 definitions - The American Heritage® Dictionary
decade (n.) A period of ten years.
decade (n.) A group or series of ten.
Go To:
Encyclopedia
65k - 9 sec @ 56k
Dictionary.com

Last I heard they were only on their second or third script for the Rifts movie...

If it comes out fine, if it doesn't, also fine by me.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:00 pm
  

Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:36 pm
Posts: 388
slade wrote:
also if dysney doesnt do the movie why dont they get someone else doing it? they dont have to stay with dysney and come on since when was this type of movie went for dysney it will have killing, chop shops and swearing. I have never seen a dysney movie with chop shops or gore in a dysney movie. it will never make it with dysney. they should use a different place and director. I have also heard that that director has turned down hundreds of possible rift movies because their not what he wants. Nothing is going to be what he wants because of all the gore and violance that comes with this movie


Thats the point of Disney paying for the option. Palladium agrees not to let some one else make a movie besides Disney. When the option expires Palladium is free to find another movie company.

As for Disney's style, Brockheimer did Arthur (with all the killing, cursing, and scantally clad Genevieve. 'Nuff said

_________________
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:

You should change your title to Necromancer.


Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:30 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 5:01 pm
Posts: 2284
slade wrote:
I have never seen a dysney movie with chop shops or gore in a dysney movie. it will never make it with dysney. they should use a different place and director. I have also heard that that director has turned down hundreds of possible rift movies because their not what he wants. Nothing is going to be what he wants because of all the gore and violance that comes with this movie


a) Disney's Rifts will be PG-13 aka Pirates. Which is fine. Nobody is going to spend $200M on a Rated R movie.

b) They do not have a director. Bruckheimer is a producer whose favorite directors are Gore Verbinski and Michael Bay. Bay will not do Rifts 'cuz he isn't a sci-fi fan and just did Transformers. Gore wants to some dramas and non-blockbusters for a while.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:40 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 4890
Location: At the forefront of the War between Evil & Good.
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.
Winter wrote:
Just a question I've been asking myself since I heard that RIFTS might, and thats a distant might be picked up for a movie deal.


Do I? no.

_________________
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:48 pm
  

Hero

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 988
Location: Southern Ohio
slade wrote:
also if dysney doesnt do the movie why dont they get someone else doing it? they dont have to stay with dysney and come on since when was this type of movie went for dysney it will have killing, chop shops and swearing. I have never seen a dysney movie with chop shops or gore in a dysney movie. it will never make it with dysney. they should use a different place and director. I have also heard that that director has turned down hundreds of possible rift movies because their not what he wants. Nothing is going to be what he wants because of all the gore and violance that comes with this movie


Boy your getting some bizarre rumors. There have been only three treatments, Bruckheimer has approval of the script before any director would ever see it. They've talked to Ridley Scott among others for the directors chair and none of them have seen any of the treatments as far as I've heard. They've been working with David Franzoni of Gladiator fame for the script and just haven't hit on it yet.

_________________
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...


Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:02 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:59 am
Posts: 451
Location: Olathe, KS
slade wrote:
a decade is 5 years


:shock:

_________________
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:04 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:50 pm
Posts: 1017
Location: Ina-Godda-Da-Vida
Maryann wrote:
They've talked to Ridley Scott among others...

The director of Alien and Gladiator?! ...joy... :D

_________________
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:
My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:
So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:16 pm
  

Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:36 pm
Posts: 388
At open house one of panels mentioned some of the things that were floating around for possible scripts. They would have been funny if they weren't so sad.

_________________
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:

You should change your title to Necromancer.


Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:53 am
  

Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:36 pm
Posts: 388
This could be the next starwars....taken way too literally. Here's the cantina scene, heres the rescue the princess scene....

_________________
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:

You should change your title to Necromancer.


Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:35 am
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:50 pm
Posts: 1017
Location: Ina-Godda-Da-Vida
kamikazzijoe wrote:
This could be the next starwars....taken way too literally. Here's the cantina scene, heres the rescue the princess scene....


That would be baaaaad :nh:

_________________
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:
My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:
So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:11 pm
  

Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:36 pm
Posts: 388
I was thinking maybe the republicans vs archie vs the splugorth. That way you get very rifts ideas and not things that may appear to take off of others like the old ones or confusing cyber knights with jedi.

_________________
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:

You should change your title to Necromancer.


Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:12 pm
  

User avatar
Palladin

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:14 pm
Posts: 9220
Location: Northwood, ND
I will still say yes. It will just take awhile. Like several people have said, years. Many years, unfortinitly.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:22 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 4890
Location: At the forefront of the War between Evil & Good.
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.
asajosh wrote:
kamikazzijoe wrote:
This could be the next starwars....taken way too literally. Here's the cantina scene, heres the rescue the princess scene....


That would be baaaaad :nh:



I'd live with it for a scene of a flying fortresses chasing after a sky king and a later scene of hoplites and other american sold triax power armor storming Chi-Town under heavy Samas barrage.

_________________
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:18 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:50 pm
Posts: 1017
Location: Ina-Godda-Da-Vida
Im betting a story line along the line of the CS's first war with the federation of magic. There will be a back story of how we got here (sunrises over 2098 NYC: huge gleaming sky scrapers, flying cars, the whole bit. James Earl Jones voice over: "It was the Golden Age of Man..."), the chaos times, the dark ages, the rise of the CS and the FoM (with an allusion to the vanguard), then the split between the two, the war, a CS trooper learns to tolerate D-Bees, a mage saves a dying CS soldier, popcorn consumed by the ton, end credits, standing ovation.

Then... Rifts II: Atlantis and Rifts III: Chaos Earth (the obligatory pre-quil) go into simultaneous production.
:D

_________________
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:
My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:
So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)


          Top  
 
Offline
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:21 am
  

User avatar
Rifter® Contributer

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:01 am
Posts: 1005
Location: New Zealand
Sure, just don't let Nathan Fillian act in it.. he is the kiss of death to good Sci Fi series.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:32 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 4890
Location: At the forefront of the War between Evil & Good.
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.
Alejandro wrote:
AJ Pickett wrote:
Sure, just don't let Nathan Fillian act in it.. he is the kiss of death to good Sci Fi series.


Uh....what? Because he was in Firefly and Firefly got cancelled?

I looked over his list and the only sci-fi series he's done was 2 episodes of Justice League Unlimited and Firefly/Serenity. How does that make him the kiss of death?


Because Drive got canceled, and it was obviously Sci-Fi! ;)

_________________
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:06 pm
  

Explorer

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:22 am
Posts: 177
Quote:
This could be the next starwars....taken way too literally. Here's the cantina scene, heres the rescue the princess scene....


Or it could as bad as the Dungeons and Dragons movie...or they could get "director" (and I use the term very loosely) Uwe Boll (who I want to see power bombed or choke slammed by vegeta into hell) to "direct" it...then you may as well just shoot yourself in the face if you intend on watching it...

Quote:
Im betting a story line along the line of the CS's first war with the federation of magic. There will be a back story of how we got here (sunrises over 2098 NYC: huge gleaming sky scrapers, flying cars, the whole bit. James Earl Jones voice over: "It was the Golden Age of Man..."), the chaos times, the dark ages, the rise of the CS and the FoM (with an allusion to the vanguard), then the split between the two, the war, a CS trooper learns to tolerate D-Bees, a mage saves a dying CS soldier, popcorn consumed by the ton, end credits, standing ovation.


Sounds alot like the intro to Judge Dread to me...minus the magic and aliens

Quote:
There is too much Rifts to put into a 2 hour movie. It would have to be an incredibly long series spanning 10 seasons. I'd do it in a twilight zone kind of way, where each show (About 54 mins) has different characters but are linked by only the plot and not physically.


Very interesting, and I agree with the fact that there is just way too much to Rifts for a movie...more like do chaos earth trilogy to build up for a 10+ season TV show if it does good...going from CE to Rifts then have spinoffs into Phase World and some of the other books...

Quote:
why not a rifts a tv show


I personally vote for the TV show idea over a movie any day, however its known that TV shows cost alot more money to make than a movie...and you can half-ass a movie and still make money as Uwe Boll has demonstrated...a TV show however will sink you if you fail usually and no-way Rifts or Chaos Earth could be done on public TV like Stargate because of the content and general theme of the game (remember its a mature setting for the books, demons, gods, death, supernatural, murder, drug use, extreme violence, prejudice/racism, sex and partial nudity etc).

Just using the CS in a movie would make it instantly R with how racist they would be towards D-Bees and Magic Users plus the fact that it would be similar to a Nazi society, I don't think that if the public realized how evil the CS is they'd allow that kind of show on regular TV unless it was severely censored...which would ruin the show...

A Rifts TV show would have to be put on say HBO or Showtime but the only series that was of really any significant length was Sopranos and it was only 6 seasons long...though it was awesome...still even the old black and white Twilight Zone was only 5 seasons...so if the show is put on one of those "stations" then you cut your viewer base because not everyone can afford to get HBO or Showtime or has the means too...

The show would need to have the viewer base of Stargate SG-1 to get any kind of content your looking for and couldn't be put on regular TV at all to keep the feel of the game in the show.

Quote:
Sure, just don't let Nathan Fillian act in it.. he is the kiss of death to good Sci Fi series.


Nathan Fillian is a great actor IMO, I never even saw firefly but after watching Serenity I craved seeing that series, plus he was damn funny in Slither even though it was a B horror/comedy.

Quote:
Another thing they should do is ask players for their old stories. Tweek them up a bit and take out the bad stuff. Because my friend tells me about his characters all the time and any of them would make awesome movies.


I doubt that will ever happen, what you find funny or your friends find funny may be completely different from what they see funny or whatever. I don't see a player based TV series or movie series lasting very long...even on the Youtube you kids are into nowadays : :P No offense though, I'm sure we all have what we think are great ideas and adventures we've all experianced...but the kind of people that would be doing the show or movies wouldn't give our opinions an aknowledgement of existence...

IMO a good way to do it would be to start with movies and finish with series...my outlook on how I would like to see it...feel free to rip me a new one

Chaos Earth: The Coming of the Rifts (movie 1)
Chaos Earth: Fall of Man, Bringers of Magic (this is optional because currently people have something with making everything into a trilogy)
Chaos Earth: Rise of Nations

Afterwards...queue the mini-series pilot episodes for a TV show...

Rifts: The Machinations of Doom (base it off the comic for season 1)

If the show does good then they could do a Twilight Zone like thing with it where each season is different characters and settings/plots so we could explore the whole megaverse...maybe end up doing a spin-off to phaseworld and have a mini-series...If certain characters are getting good reviews and fans want to see them again or the directors and whatever like the characters they could bring them into further future series as guest stars...

Rifts Phase World: The Hammer of the Forge (based on the stories for season 1) or this could be a movie spin-off so as to set the stage for a Phase World series, or make it a trilogy then do a series...

Rinse and repeat for other books like Wormwood and Nightbane, Palladium, BTS and Heroes Unlimited...err not so much HU...lol


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:31 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 11:37 pm
Posts: 4916
Location: Tampa FL
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...
well... it could all be summed up in a great movie Called Harold & Kumar III: H&K goto Chi-town.

_________________
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:11 am
  

Explorer

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:22 am
Posts: 177
Quote:
Man i rifts tv show would be awesome. It would never be all around crapy. Maybe a few episodes but then youd get the best stuff rifts has too offer while if you tried making 1 3hr long movie youdf get nothing but the first book and maybe a few things that are in dfferent book but nothing about russia and europe or to many other things because rifts is too good. As a tv show it ca do everythig from explore ad show how all the coutries exist ad the state they are in. and show all the multiple occ's ad rcc's that they have and that people have created...


Ya a TV show would be the best choice over a movie...but I was thinking more along the lines of Stargate SG-1 which was done after the Stargate movie with Kurt Russel...Do a movie with CE to start so we have a setting, then go on from there...even 1 movie just doing the bare minimum would be enough content to base a long running tv show on.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:46 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 5215
Location: Near Tampa Florida
Maryann wrote:
slade wrote:
Man i've heard about rifts the movie for a few years now and i dont think if theyve been streching it this far. Movies no matter how great dont take decades to make. in one seen you got a nice little boy whos 15 next scene hes a thirtie year old. I think a rumor got started and got out of hand. Also palladium is still having a little trouble and a movie is probaly the last thing on thier mind since they cost hundreds of thousands



Ummmm, Palladium isn't the producer, Jerry Bruckheimer is. It isn't a rumor its an option. It hasn't been decades, just four years in development...


Right Maryann ;)

Bruckheimer said on ET (years ago now), that it took him over a decade to get Pirates of the Carribean into production.
Movies can take a real long time when a producer wants to do the movie right.

Just look at all the changes SUPERMAN went through with scripts, directors, Stars (slated as a the Big S). They were trying to do the sequal since 1988 or so...

_________________
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Image

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:17 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 5215
Location: Near Tampa Florida
kamikazzijoe wrote:
slade wrote:
also if dysney doesnt do the movie why dont they get someone else doing it? they dont have to stay with dysney and come on since when was this type of movie went for dysney it will have killing, chop shops and swearing. I have never seen a dysney movie with chop shops or gore in a dysney movie. it will never make it with dysney. they should use a different place and director. I have also heard that that director has turned down hundreds of possible rift movies because their not what he wants. Nothing is going to be what he wants because of all the gore and violance that comes with this movie


Thats the point of Disney paying for the option. Palladium agrees not to let some one else make a movie besides Disney. When the option expires Palladium is free to find another movie company.

As for Disney's style, Brockheimer did Arthur (with all the killing, cursing, and scantally clad Genevieve. 'Nuff said


Disney did :
King Aurther
Blackhawk Down
Pirates of the Carribean

Yeah they will have no problem doing RIFTS...

_________________
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Image

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:47 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 5215
Location: Near Tampa Florida
Marrowlight wrote:
Alejandro wrote:
AJ Pickett wrote:
Sure, just don't let Nathan Fillian act in it.. he is the kiss of death to good Sci Fi series.


Uh....what? Because he was in Firefly and Firefly got cancelled?

I looked over his list and the only sci-fi series he's done was 2 episodes of Justice League Unlimited and Firefly/Serenity. How does that make him the kiss of death?


Because Drive got canceled, and it was obviously Sci-Fi! ;)


The plot of Drrive just sucked to be honest...

_________________
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Image

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:56 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 5215
Location: Near Tampa Florida
RIFTS the Movie should try to keep it simple...

RIFTS MAINBOOK only at the most. No Sourcebook materials...

or

RIFTS : Chaos Earth the Movie
This would be the Easiest to film and script to fully honest.
It could/would set up the backstory for the main rifts setting if needed.

Based on Chaos Earth's time period would allow them to focus on a narrow selection of Characters.

Can we get in Seperate thread a few of the Reject script/treatments looked like so far ??

_________________
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Image

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:31 am
  

Explorer

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:22 am
Posts: 177
Quote:
Disney did :
King Aurther
Blackhawk Down

Pirates of the Carribean

Yeah they will have no problem doing RIFTS...


Blackhawk Down was done by the following...

Revolution Studios
Jerry Bruckheimer Films
Scott Free Productions (in association with)

King Arthur was done by the following...

Touchstone Pictures
Jerry Bruckheimer Films
Green Hills Productions (co-production)
World 2000 Entertainment (co-production)

This information is from IMDB and nowhere in either film is disney ever mentioned...I'm assuming that you meant Jerry Bruckheimer...

Quote:
As for Disney's style, Brockheimer did Arthur (with all the killing, cursing, and scantally clad Genevieve. 'Nuff said


Ya he may have done King Arthur but it wasn't that bloody of a movie, and Keira Knightley wasn't scantilly clad, she was wearing a fair amount of clothing with a ton of body paint...now if you took away the body paint, then ya she was a little bit on the nekkid side, but it wasn't that bad.

If Disney does a Rifts movie you can expect it to be heavily censored and alot of the content missing...you won't see human sacrifices, chop shops, racial intolerance from the Coalition, demonic beings, horrific looking aliens, drug refrences, heavy violence, or anything of that kind in the movie...

I highly doubt were ever going to see an R rated movie done by a childrens company because any theme for the palladium system is easily R material.

Quote:
RIFTS : Chaos Earth the Movie
This would be the Easiest to film and script to fully honest.
It could/would set up the backstory for the main rifts setting if needed.


Think I just mentioned that...err well 1st on this thread anyways...


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:40 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 5215
Location: Near Tampa Florida
Rifts' content is not "R" rated.
I'd say PB has always tried to keep the content geared toward the 13+ crowd. So that is a PG-13 or NC-17 at best.

Now many groups go the extra mile and make what would be "R" rated material. These groups would even turn D&D or even Star Wars games...into a "R" rated material.

That is because of PLAY STYLE of the group, not the actual rpg itself.

Myself, I'd be happy with PG-13 for one major reason. I personal am TIRED of unessary cussing and Nudity in movies today. I can do without that c**p to be honest.
I want to see Awesome ACTION, and characteraztions...

Disney's part in Blackhawk Down and King Aurther was the DVDs...getting them out to people.

IMDB is full of errors and I detest it when people mention it as a source because it is missing alot of info period.

_________________
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Image

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:07 am
  

Explorer

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:22 am
Posts: 177
Quote:
IMDB is full of errors and I detest it when people mention it as a source because it is missing alot of info period.


Well I checked my copies as well as disneys website and IMDB and no-where are they mentioned even as a distributor so again...not disney movies, just because you sell a movie doesn't mean that you can claim you made it....Jerry Bruckheimer made movies for Disney but that doesn't mean they are the same company and King Arthur and BHD had nothing to do with disney, not even as a distributor.

IMDB has alot more info than pretty much any other movie info site on the net and its very accurate. Name some of the info though that you feel its missing, because just taking a gander at their website I can see that its got more information than the DVD case does if you were to buy a say, Robocop and contains all the information from the credits as well as information thats probably gathered from the company who made the movie...what more could you want? did you know that if you sign-up that there is even more info? and its free?

Quote:
Rifts' content is not "R" rated.
I'd say PB has always tried to keep the content geared toward the 13+ crowd. So that is a PG-13 or NC-17 at best.


I'll go with the NC-17 rating for a rifts movie, just not PG-13, regardless if the play styles for everyone is different a simple fact that Rifts, CE and Phaseworld all have intense situations that just wouldn't be appropriate for the majority of movie goers...

Quote:
Myself, I'd be happy with PG-13 for one major reason. I personal am TIRED of unessary cussing and Nudity in movies today. I can do without that c**p to be honest.
I want to see Awesome ACTION, and characteraztions...


Its not unnecessary really, its just words that are substituted for other words...instead of saying F**K they say dang...not really a huge issue unless your one of those people who's ears catch fire when someone says God Damnit...a good example would be the new Die Hard movie, great action and everything, but the simple fact that it was PG-13 and not R as well as its severe lack of foul language that was so much a part of the old movies made me not see it in theatres and on my computer instead.

A Rifts movie would be well, futuristic setting obviously and theres nothing that says they wouldn't have different varieties of swear words for their setting...like Battlestar Galatica on Sci-Fi where they say "frack" every other word...to me using silly substitues like that just makes the show comical and not serious "Fracking Mother-Fracker!" I just laugh every time I watch that show. To each his own though, I'm just saying that regardless of play styles of individual people (which don't matter in movie), the Rifts setting is (and I'll go with your suggestion) NC-17 just from the setting and theme of the movie.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:44 pm
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:01 pm
Posts: 5361
Location: Desolation Row
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.
TechnoGothic wrote:
Rifts' content is not "R" rated.
I'd say PB has always tried to keep the content geared toward the 13+ crowd. So that is a PG-13 or NC-17 at best.


Ummmm...

"NC-17" is higher on the rating scale than "R," you can get away with more in an NC-17 rated movie than an R-rated one.

~ Josh

_________________
Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:26 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 4890
Location: At the forefront of the War between Evil & Good.
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:
Rifts' content is not "R" rated.
I'd say PB has always tried to keep the content geared toward the 13+ crowd. So that is a PG-13 or NC-17 at best.


Ummmm...

"NC-17" is higher on the rating scale than "R," you can get away with more in an NC-17 rated movie than an R-rated one.

~ Josh


Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

_________________
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:24 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 5215
Location: Near Tampa Florida
I know about NC-17 ;)
I'v seen many NC-17 movies which uses less nudity/cussing, but more Violance or gore...

KS himself said RIFTS is a PG-13 setting once or twice.
I'll agree with him, it is his "world" and IP.

My games could Rated R, NC-17, XXX+ at times or best just said "NOT RATED".

But for movies, PG-13 is the best way to go.
More people will go see the movie for starters. Means better sales/box office sales. Which means more profit.

Good example of a Narrow Rifts game.
Take PIRATES of the Carribean (PG-13), replace cannons and flint lock pistols with High-tech weapons. A few of those swords may be Vibro-swords or Rune Swords or TW swords...
But in the end, PotC could be a RIFTS movie...one with Focus.

:D

_________________
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Image

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:56 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 5:01 pm
Posts: 2284
Here's three things you can bet on with the Rifts movie:

1) Everything will be tailored to appeal to the mainstream movie-goer. Bruckheimer is all about maximizing the commercial appeal.

2) It will NOT please all the hardcore fans. I am still stunned to hear Tolkien fans who are unhappy with the LotR movies, but there are always people who will be upset by the lack of what they consider critical details.

3) It will be PG-13. You don't sink $100M into a R-rated sci-fi project and expect to make money. As for NC-17, drop your crackpipes. No national theater chain will show NC-17. That's art-haus only or cable TV code for soft porno.

Here's the rub - if Bruckheimer can mold Rifts into the new PotC trilogy, then PB gets ENORMOUS publicity for their products that will explode their sales and allow them to sell WADS of Rifts merchandise and introduce Rifts to people who would have never heard of RPGs before.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:00 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 5215
Location: Near Tampa Florida
Spinachcat wrote:
Here's three things you can bet on with the Rifts movie:

1) Everything will be tailored to appeal to the mainstream movie-goer. Bruckheimer is all about maximizing the commercial appeal.

2) It will NOT please all the hardcore fans. I am still stunned to hear Tolkien fans who are unhappy with the LotR movies, but there are always people who will be upset by the lack of what they consider critical details.

3) It will be PG-13. You don't sink $100M into a R-rated sci-fi project and expect to make money. As for NC-17, drop your crackpipes. No national theater chain will show NC-17. That's art-haus only or cable TV code for soft porno.

Here's the rub - if Bruckheimer can mold Rifts into the new PotC trilogy, then PB gets ENORMOUS publicity for their products that will explode their sales and allow them to sell WADS of Rifts merchandise and introduce Rifts to people who would have never heard of RPGs before.


Exactly ;)

_________________
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Image

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:03 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:50 pm
Posts: 1017
Location: Ina-Godda-Da-Vida
Okies with the success of Transformers and the pending Robotech movie (especially), my hope for the Rifts Movie being made is renewed!
If the Robotech movie is a smash a Rifts movie seems a great next step!

_________________
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:
My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:
So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:38 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:24 pm
Posts: 1157
Location: Praxus
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!
Sad.
This thread is getting close to a year old.

I should hope with The Transformers being out and Robotech on the way, studios and producers would push harder to get this done. Certainly the fans have shown their interest in such movies.

_________________
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:35 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 5:01 pm
Posts: 2284
Thoughtful1 wrote:
On second thought, I'll just wait and see what happens!


Good choice. I am living the broken dream and it's not fun. Fortunately, you learn lots of good skills and if you're smart you can parlay that into other avenues of financial success. Sure, being haunted blows, but it just means you have to either switch focus or charge the gates again and again.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:24 am
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:25 pm
Posts: 1593
Location: "Out there,...man,..really out there..."
"Yes, Verginia, there is a Rifts Movie." Not just yet, but I believe one will be made. :D

_________________
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group