Board index » Palladium Books® Multimedia » Rifts® Movie

Do you think the RIFTS the movie will ever get off the ground?
Yes 41%  41%  [ 124 ]
No 59%  59%  [ 180 ]
Total votes : 304
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:06 pm

Explorer

Quote:
This could be the next starwars....taken way too literally. Here's the cantina scene, heres the rescue the princess scene....

Or it could as bad as the Dungeons and Dragons movie...or they could get "director" (and I use the term very loosely) Uwe Boll (who I want to see power bombed or choke slammed by vegeta into hell) to "direct" it...then you may as well just shoot yourself in the face if you intend on watching it...

Quote:
Im betting a story line along the line of the CS's first war with the federation of magic. There will be a back story of how we got here (sunrises over 2098 NYC: huge gleaming sky scrapers, flying cars, the whole bit. James Earl Jones voice over: "It was the Golden Age of Man..."), the chaos times, the dark ages, the rise of the CS and the FoM (with an allusion to the vanguard), then the split between the two, the war, a CS trooper learns to tolerate D-Bees, a mage saves a dying CS soldier, popcorn consumed by the ton, end credits, standing ovation.

Sounds alot like the intro to Judge Dread to me...minus the magic and aliens

Quote:
There is too much Rifts to put into a 2 hour movie. It would have to be an incredibly long series spanning 10 seasons. I'd do it in a twilight zone kind of way, where each show (About 54 mins) has different characters but are linked by only the plot and not physically.

Very interesting, and I agree with the fact that there is just way too much to Rifts for a movie...more like do chaos earth trilogy to build up for a 10+ season TV show if it does good...going from CE to Rifts then have spinoffs into Phase World and some of the other books...

Quote:
why not a rifts a tv show

I personally vote for the TV show idea over a movie any day, however its known that TV shows cost alot more money to make than a movie...and you can half-ass a movie and still make money as Uwe Boll has demonstrated...a TV show however will sink you if you fail usually and no-way Rifts or Chaos Earth could be done on public TV like Stargate because of the content and general theme of the game (remember its a mature setting for the books, demons, gods, death, supernatural, murder, drug use, extreme violence, prejudice/racism, sex and partial nudity etc).

Just using the CS in a movie would make it instantly R with how racist they would be towards D-Bees and Magic Users plus the fact that it would be similar to a Nazi society, I don't think that if the public realized how evil the CS is they'd allow that kind of show on regular TV unless it was severely censored...which would ruin the show...

A Rifts TV show would have to be put on say HBO or Showtime but the only series that was of really any significant length was Sopranos and it was only 6 seasons long...though it was awesome...still even the old black and white Twilight Zone was only 5 seasons...so if the show is put on one of those "stations" then you cut your viewer base because not everyone can afford to get HBO or Showtime or has the means too...

The show would need to have the viewer base of Stargate SG-1 to get any kind of content your looking for and couldn't be put on regular TV at all to keep the feel of the game in the show.

Quote:
Sure, just don't let Nathan Fillian act in it.. he is the kiss of death to good Sci Fi series.

Nathan Fillian is a great actor IMO, I never even saw firefly but after watching Serenity I craved seeing that series, plus he was damn funny in Slither even though it was a B horror/comedy.

Quote:
Another thing they should do is ask players for their old stories. Tweek them up a bit and take out the bad stuff. Because my friend tells me about his characters all the time and any of them would make awesome movies.

I doubt that will ever happen, what you find funny or your friends find funny may be completely different from what they see funny or whatever. I don't see a player based TV series or movie series lasting very long...even on the Youtube you kids are into nowadays : :P No offense though, I'm sure we all have what we think are great ideas and adventures we've all experianced...but the kind of people that would be doing the show or movies wouldn't give our opinions an aknowledgement of existence...

IMO a good way to do it would be to start with movies and finish with series...my outlook on how I would like to see it...feel free to rip me a new one

Chaos Earth: The Coming of the Rifts (movie 1)
Chaos Earth: Fall of Man, Bringers of Magic (this is optional because currently people have something with making everything into a trilogy)
Chaos Earth: Rise of Nations

Afterwards...queue the mini-series pilot episodes for a TV show...

Rifts: The Machinations of Doom (base it off the comic for season 1)

If the show does good then they could do a Twilight Zone like thing with it where each season is different characters and settings/plots so we could explore the whole megaverse...maybe end up doing a spin-off to phaseworld and have a mini-series...If certain characters are getting good reviews and fans want to see them again or the directors and whatever like the characters they could bring them into further future series as guest stars...

Rifts Phase World: The Hammer of the Forge (based on the stories for season 1) or this could be a movie spin-off so as to set the stage for a Phase World series, or make it a trilogy then do a series...

Rinse and repeat for other books like Wormwood and Nightbane, Palladium, BTS and Heroes Unlimited...err not so much HU...lol

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:31 am

Knight

Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...
well... it could all be summed up in a great movie Called Harold & Kumar III: H&K goto Chi-town.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:31 pm

Explorer

Man i rifts tv show would be awesome. It would never be all around crapy. Maybe a few episodes but then youd get the best stuff rifts has too offer while if you tried making 1 3hr long movie youdf get nothing but the first book and maybe a few things that are in dfferent book but nothing about russia and europe or to many other things because rifts is too good. As a tv show it ca do everythig from explore ad show how all the coutries exist ad the state they are in. and show all the multiple occ's ad rcc's that they have and that people have created...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:11 am

Explorer

Quote:
Man i rifts tv show would be awesome. It would never be all around crapy. Maybe a few episodes but then youd get the best stuff rifts has too offer while if you tried making 1 3hr long movie youdf get nothing but the first book and maybe a few things that are in dfferent book but nothing about russia and europe or to many other things because rifts is too good. As a tv show it ca do everythig from explore ad show how all the coutries exist ad the state they are in. and show all the multiple occ's ad rcc's that they have and that people have created...

Ya a TV show would be the best choice over a movie...but I was thinking more along the lines of Stargate SG-1 which was done after the Stargate movie with Kurt Russel...Do a movie with CE to start so we have a setting, then go on from there...even 1 movie just doing the bare minimum would be enough content to base a long running tv show on.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:46 am

Knight

Maryann wrote:
slade wrote:
Man i've heard about rifts the movie for a few years now and i dont think if theyve been streching it this far. Movies no matter how great dont take decades to make. in one seen you got a nice little boy whos 15 next scene hes a thirtie year old. I think a rumor got started and got out of hand. Also palladium is still having a little trouble and a movie is probaly the last thing on thier mind since they cost hundreds of thousands

Ummmm, Palladium isn't the producer, Jerry Bruckheimer is. It isn't a rumor its an option. It hasn't been decades, just four years in development...

Right Maryann ;)

Bruckheimer said on ET (years ago now), that it took him over a decade to get Pirates of the Carribean into production.
Movies can take a real long time when a producer wants to do the movie right.

Just look at all the changes SUPERMAN went through with scripts, directors, Stars (slated as a the Big S). They were trying to do the sequal since 1988 or so...

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:17 am

Knight

kamikazzijoe wrote:
slade wrote:
also if dysney doesnt do the movie why dont they get someone else doing it? they dont have to stay with dysney and come on since when was this type of movie went for dysney it will have killing, chop shops and swearing. I have never seen a dysney movie with chop shops or gore in a dysney movie. it will never make it with dysney. they should use a different place and director. I have also heard that that director has turned down hundreds of possible rift movies because their not what he wants. Nothing is going to be what he wants because of all the gore and violance that comes with this movie

Thats the point of Disney paying for the option. Palladium agrees not to let some one else make a movie besides Disney. When the option expires Palladium is free to find another movie company.

As for Disney's style, Brockheimer did Arthur (with all the killing, cursing, and scantally clad Genevieve. 'Nuff said

Disney did :
King Aurther
Blackhawk Down
Pirates of the Carribean

Yeah they will have no problem doing RIFTS...

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:47 am

Knight

Marrowlight wrote:
Alejandro wrote:
AJ Pickett wrote:
Sure, just don't let Nathan Fillian act in it.. he is the kiss of death to good Sci Fi series.

Uh....what? Because he was in Firefly and Firefly got cancelled?

I looked over his list and the only sci-fi series he's done was 2 episodes of Justice League Unlimited and Firefly/Serenity. How does that make him the kiss of death?

Because Drive got canceled, and it was obviously Sci-Fi! ;)

The plot of Drrive just sucked to be honest...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:56 am

Knight

RIFTS the Movie should try to keep it simple...

RIFTS MAINBOOK only at the most. No Sourcebook materials...

or

RIFTS : Chaos Earth the Movie
This would be the Easiest to film and script to fully honest.
It could/would set up the backstory for the main rifts setting if needed.

Based on Chaos Earth's time period would allow them to focus on a narrow selection of Characters.

Can we get in Seperate thread a few of the Reject script/treatments looked like so far ??

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:31 am

Explorer

Quote:
Disney did :
King Aurther
Blackhawk Down

Pirates of the Carribean

Yeah they will have no problem doing RIFTS...

Blackhawk Down was done by the following...

Revolution Studios
Jerry Bruckheimer Films
Scott Free Productions (in association with)

King Arthur was done by the following...

Touchstone Pictures
Jerry Bruckheimer Films
Green Hills Productions (co-production)
World 2000 Entertainment (co-production)

This information is from IMDB and nowhere in either film is disney ever mentioned...I'm assuming that you meant Jerry Bruckheimer...

Quote:
As for Disney's style, Brockheimer did Arthur (with all the killing, cursing, and scantally clad Genevieve. 'Nuff said

Ya he may have done King Arthur but it wasn't that bloody of a movie, and Keira Knightley wasn't scantilly clad, she was wearing a fair amount of clothing with a ton of body paint...now if you took away the body paint, then ya she was a little bit on the nekkid side, but it wasn't that bad.

If Disney does a Rifts movie you can expect it to be heavily censored and alot of the content missing...you won't see human sacrifices, chop shops, racial intolerance from the Coalition, demonic beings, horrific looking aliens, drug refrences, heavy violence, or anything of that kind in the movie...

I highly doubt were ever going to see an R rated movie done by a childrens company because any theme for the palladium system is easily R material.

Quote:
RIFTS : Chaos Earth the Movie
This would be the Easiest to film and script to fully honest.
It could/would set up the backstory for the main rifts setting if needed.

Think I just mentioned that...err well 1st on this thread anyways...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:40 am

Knight

Rifts' content is not "R" rated.
I'd say PB has always tried to keep the content geared toward the 13+ crowd. So that is a PG-13 or NC-17 at best.

Now many groups go the extra mile and make what would be "R" rated material. These groups would even turn D&D or even Star Wars games...into a "R" rated material.

That is because of PLAY STYLE of the group, not the actual rpg itself.

Myself, I'd be happy with PG-13 for one major reason. I personal am TIRED of unessary cussing and Nudity in movies today. I can do without that c**p to be honest.
I want to see Awesome ACTION, and characteraztions...

Disney's part in Blackhawk Down and King Aurther was the DVDs...getting them out to people.

IMDB is full of errors and I detest it when people mention it as a source because it is missing alot of info period.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:07 am

Explorer

Quote:
IMDB is full of errors and I detest it when people mention it as a source because it is missing alot of info period.

Well I checked my copies as well as disneys website and IMDB and no-where are they mentioned even as a distributor so again...not disney movies, just because you sell a movie doesn't mean that you can claim you made it....Jerry Bruckheimer made movies for Disney but that doesn't mean they are the same company and King Arthur and BHD had nothing to do with disney, not even as a distributor.

IMDB has alot more info than pretty much any other movie info site on the net and its very accurate. Name some of the info though that you feel its missing, because just taking a gander at their website I can see that its got more information than the DVD case does if you were to buy a say, Robocop and contains all the information from the credits as well as information thats probably gathered from the company who made the movie...what more could you want? did you know that if you sign-up that there is even more info? and its free?

Quote:
I'd say PB has always tried to keep the content geared toward the 13+ crowd. So that is a PG-13 or NC-17 at best.

I'll go with the NC-17 rating for a rifts movie, just not PG-13, regardless if the play styles for everyone is different a simple fact that Rifts, CE and Phaseworld all have intense situations that just wouldn't be appropriate for the majority of movie goers...

Quote:
Myself, I'd be happy with PG-13 for one major reason. I personal am TIRED of unessary cussing and Nudity in movies today. I can do without that c**p to be honest.
I want to see Awesome ACTION, and characteraztions...

Its not unnecessary really, its just words that are substituted for other words...instead of saying F**K they say dang...not really a huge issue unless your one of those people who's ears catch fire when someone says God Damnit...a good example would be the new Die Hard movie, great action and everything, but the simple fact that it was PG-13 and not R as well as its severe lack of foul language that was so much a part of the old movies made me not see it in theatres and on my computer instead.

A Rifts movie would be well, futuristic setting obviously and theres nothing that says they wouldn't have different varieties of swear words for their setting...like Battlestar Galatica on Sci-Fi where they say "frack" every other word...to me using silly substitues like that just makes the show comical and not serious "Fracking Mother-Fracker!" I just laugh every time I watch that show. To each his own though, I'm just saying that regardless of play styles of individual people (which don't matter in movie), the Rifts setting is (and I'll go with your suggestion) NC-17 just from the setting and theme of the movie.

Post subject: More gore!
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:49 pm

D-Bee

Rifts need to be rated R+. Right on the first page it says that it has violence and gore and bad situations. I hope when it comes out it is very gorey .. something that'd make Band of Brothers look like Sesame Street. I know this won't appeal to all the kids' parents but if your 12 y.o. is playing Rifts they know more than just a laser blast to the brain.

A cyber doc repairing a bionic man without anesthetics. A Ley line walker incinerating a platoon of samas with a shake of his hand. Cybernetic thieving, D-Bee sex .. all examples of what should be in a movie or tv show.

Rifts is not a nice environment! A movie rated no higher than R would give it the credit due.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:44 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.
TechnoGothic wrote:

Ummmm...

"NC-17" is higher on the rating scale than "R," you can get away with more in an NC-17 rated movie than an R-rated one.

~ Josh

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:26 pm

Knight

Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:

Ummmm...

"NC-17" is higher on the rating scale than "R," you can get away with more in an NC-17 rated movie than an R-rated one.

~ Josh

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:24 am

Knight

I know about NC-17 ;)
I'v seen many NC-17 movies which uses less nudity/cussing, but more Violance or gore...

KS himself said RIFTS is a PG-13 setting once or twice.
I'll agree with him, it is his "world" and IP.

My games could Rated R, NC-17, XXX+ at times or best just said "NOT RATED".

But for movies, PG-13 is the best way to go.
More people will go see the movie for starters. Means better sales/box office sales. Which means more profit.

Good example of a Narrow Rifts game.
Take PIRATES of the Carribean (PG-13), replace cannons and flint lock pistols with High-tech weapons. A few of those swords may be Vibro-swords or Rune Swords or TW swords...
But in the end, PotC could be a RIFTS movie...one with Focus.

:D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:56 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Here's three things you can bet on with the Rifts movie:

1) Everything will be tailored to appeal to the mainstream movie-goer. Bruckheimer is all about maximizing the commercial appeal.

2) It will NOT please all the hardcore fans. I am still stunned to hear Tolkien fans who are unhappy with the LotR movies, but there are always people who will be upset by the lack of what they consider critical details.

3) It will be PG-13. You don't sink $100M into a R-rated sci-fi project and expect to make money. As for NC-17, drop your crackpipes. No national theater chain will show NC-17. That's art-haus only or cable TV code for soft porno.

Here's the rub - if Bruckheimer can mold Rifts into the new PotC trilogy, then PB gets ENORMOUS publicity for their products that will explode their sales and allow them to sell WADS of Rifts merchandise and introduce Rifts to people who would have never heard of RPGs before.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:00 am

Knight

Spinachcat wrote:

1) Everything will be tailored to appeal to the mainstream movie-goer. Bruckheimer is all about maximizing the commercial appeal.

2) It will NOT please all the hardcore fans. I am still stunned to hear Tolkien fans who are unhappy with the LotR movies, but there are always people who will be upset by the lack of what they consider critical details.

3) It will be PG-13. You don't sink $100M into a R-rated sci-fi project and expect to make money. As for NC-17, drop your crackpipes. No national theater chain will show NC-17. That's art-haus only or cable TV code for soft porno.

Here's the rub - if Bruckheimer can mold Rifts into the new PotC trilogy, then PB gets ENORMOUS publicity for their products that will explode their sales and allow them to sell WADS of Rifts merchandise and introduce Rifts to people who would have never heard of RPGs before.

Exactly ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:52 pm

Knight

Spinachcat wrote:

i agree. bruck is all about profit in his movies. an r rated movie will not turn has much profit has pg13. because most parents are not going to let thier kids watch an r rated flick. pg13 however, is do-able

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:03 pm

Hero

Okies with the success of Transformers and the pending Robotech movie (especially), my hope for the Rifts Movie being made is renewed!
If the Robotech movie is a smash a Rifts movie seems a great next step!

Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:
So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:03 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Rifts 'Toy Story!' Ya!!!
Just when the dog next door thought to mutate and rip its owner to pieces, along comes disney with BUZZ LIGHTYEAR to the rescue!

C'MON!!! How alternative is the megaverse to any of Disney's other movie releases. The writing is plainly splattered all over the wall with this one. Us fans will either become too afraid to claim Rifter status, or revel in glory if, 'IF' the movie rocks.

Disney almost became extinct about a decade (10 years?) ago until Woody came to the scene. They must bring new visual fodder to the board or suffer their previous downfall. As for JB - well the bloke certainly knows how to make a flick.

So with this heady combination and the release of the Transformers movie, I have no doubt we will see something out of this spectrum. If we like it does not really matter, as it will impact just as much either way.

It all started from one man's dream...

'Love says I am Everything. Wisdom says I am Nothing. Between the two my life flows.' Tao Te Ching

'The fear of god is the template of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom and instruction.' Holy Bible

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:57 pm

Adventurer

Comment: Dark Lord Evisceratix O'Kittensquisher
I think the Live action Robotech movie will help give the Rifts movie a boost.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:38 pm

Hero

Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!
Sad.
This thread is getting close to a year old.

I should hope with The Transformers being out and Robotech on the way, studios and producers would push harder to get this done. Certainly the fans have shown their interest in such movies.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:26 pm

Wanderer

Never fear! A Rifts movie is inevitable!

Now, I just need to move to Los Angeles, go to film school, get an agent, pitch my idea to JBFilms, write a killer screenplay, be asked to rewrite it a thousand times until J.B. likes it.... uh, then probably quit by cursing him out and yelling something about "artistic integrity" and "not selling out." Then, tens of thousands of dollars in debt, broke, and having no discernable skills, I'll end up living in the same unfurnished studio appartment with bars on the windows until I'm in my late 30's and finally decide to go back to (real) school and get a job I hate... and being haunted til the day I die by the thought of what might have been...

On second thought, I'll just wait and see what happens!

:ok:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:35 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Thoughtful1 wrote:
On second thought, I'll just wait and see what happens!

Good choice. I am living the broken dream and it's not fun. Fortunately, you learn lots of good skills and if you're smart you can parlay that into other avenues of financial success. Sure, being haunted blows, but it just means you have to either switch focus or charge the gates again and again.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:19 am

D-Bee

So long as it's not a straight to video nonsense it could be okay.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:33 am

D-Bee

asajosh wrote:
Okies with the success of Transformers and the pending Robotech movie (especially), my hope for the Rifts Movie being made is renewed!
If the Robotech movie is a smash a Rifts movie seems a great next step!
Are you talking about the animated one that just came out or is there a live action on it's way?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:09 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Bruckheimer is a steam engine. If he says it will make money - it will. Likewise it seems that more and more movies are coming to frutation. I remember hearing Rambo, Indiana Jones, and I am Legend and shrugging that movies like that would only be a nerds fantasy. They proved me wrong.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:24 am

Hero

"Yes, Verginia, there is a Rifts Movie." Not just yet, but I believe one will be made. :D

Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.

Post subject: Love to see it but...
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:20 pm

D-Bee

I can see a movie possibly, but what a task. I don't know if people would have the patience to (by today's standards anyway :-D ) watch a good and slow paced but detailed and story driven movie. A good idea would be a well drawn and written animated (limited CG?) storyline. Multiple episode over time and direct to DVD. Take a page from Anime, but make it closer to adult or even mature.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:32 pm

Palladium Books® Staff

Well, as long as Jerry Bruckheimer continues to send us a Christmas basket every year... Hope springs eternal.

Alex Marciniszyn

Hope. I like that word.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:47 pm

Hero

Yeah! That's good news. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:49 pm

D-Bee

The fact that the supposed writer I heard used to be a rifts player in high school and one of his dream projects (refering to a press release I forget which) can only be a boon to the Rifts movie which I am soooo looking forward to its begining to hurt!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:59 pm

Adventurer

Comment: Dark Lord Evisceratix O'Kittensquisher
Well, since the writer's strike is now over, someone should be working on the script and hopeful (there's that word "hope" again) it will be the one they use.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:50 pm

Hero

"Hope springs eternal." To coin a phrase. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:16 pm

Adventurer

What would you think if instead of a movie that turned it into a TV series?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:48 pm

D-Bee

MrMom wrote:

All things considered, I think a TV series would actually work better than a movie.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:39 am

Priest

Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Hirn wrote:
The fact that the supposed writer I heard used to be a rifts player in high school and one of his dream projects (refering to a press release I forget which) can only be a boon to the Rifts movie...

That depends on his playing style.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:40 pm

Wanderer

PsychoHazard wrote:
MrMom wrote:

All things considered, I think a TV series would actually work better than a movie.

I'd be thrilled to see either, and especially both, but I disagree. A Bruckheimer Rifts movie (or two, or three) is likely to get a great deal more hype and attention than most new TV shows get. A couple blockbuster movies would generate more interest in Palladium Books, roleplaying, and Rifts (video games, novels, comics, action figures and everything else that comes with having a blockbuster movie franchise), than even a very successful TV show would. That's just my opinion, though. Plus, movies have bigger budgets. A Rifts movie would have much better visual effects than a TV show would. Given the choice, I'd rather see a movie.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:40 pm

Champion

Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!
PsychoHazard wrote:
MrMom wrote:

I think a CGI movie series would be best way to go, so it could be more violent and have some adult content. With a Starship Trooper like feel would go far to maybe getting some real movies made.

Post subject: Re:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:37 am

Dungeon Crawler

runebeo wrote:
PsychoHazard wrote:
MrMom wrote:

I think a CGI movie series would be best way to go, so it could be more violent and have some adult content. With a Starship Trooper like feel would go far to maybe getting some real movies made.

Rifts doesn't really need explicit sex and gore to succeed (ie "adult content"). It can be a lot like Star Wars....very violent, but of the bloodless variety. Pretty easy to do when everyone's running around in armor suits. Just remember that the moviemakers aren't going to be using "stats" to make their movie, so expect a lot of Coalition soldiers dropping in one shot from a laser pistol, etc.... ;) With the exception of the almost-inevitable "Coalition Guy that sees the light" they'll basically be cannon fodder, if not the primary villains of the film.

"Chaos Earth" wouldn't work well as a film, mostly because the "ending" of that particular setting isn't a happy one. Mankind is doomed to drop into a dark age, and while NEMA might stave off complete collapse for a while, ultimately they're defeated.

My real curiosity? Will the metaplot of the setting be altered to reflect the movie? ;)

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:11 pm

Hero

Comment: How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan
All I know is that if jerry shows me a Glitterboy that doesn't look like a Glitterboy <cough>NGage<cough> I'm walkin out of the theatre.
Don't need to hire a buttload of artists, the art is in the friggin books. Call Kevin Long up and use him as a production artist, or Apollo, or anyone else who has done art in the books. It truly bugs me when movies try to reinvent the wheel when it comes to stuff like this.
/end rant.

That N-gage GB did look cool, but..its not a damn glitterboy. Looks like Tony Stark made a glitterboy...

BAD MOMMA DOG-FACE BANANA PATCH
"Well said, Kryzbyn! :ok: " -Killer Cyborg
"...I have to agree with the questions and comments made by Kryzbyn." - The man himself, Kevin Siembieda
+100 "acting like a real man" points - DLDC
"Damnit, we agree on something. It's time to rethink my position." - Misfit KotLD
HIPPIES ARE WHAT D-BEES EAT

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:52 pm

Hero

It's interesting because the five year mark is coming in a few weeks, and Jerry hasn't confirmed a script or greenlighted production, and yet we're still talking about it. He's busy probably working on Prince of Persia and something involving CGI guinea pigs...I think it's ironic because I don't really see a huge draw for Prince of Persia, and yet that movie got greenlit faster. I realize it probably has a vocal group of fans on some other forum, but it just doesn't do anything for me (the game wasn't really my cup of tea.) I'd at least like to hear some progress on the script or something from Rawson Marshall Thurber, even if it's just him saying: "I'm extremely busy working on the Rifts script." Something from Jerry beyond "I've reoptioned the property" unfortunately those NDA's have been extremely irritating.

"You are wise beyond your years" darkbrandon

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:04 am

As much as I think a RIFTS movie would be awesome, I'm afraid that the creative end would get snatched out form yunder Kev and the crew. Hollywood has a way of doing that to "little guys" with stories they want.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:36 pm

Hero

Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson
Aequitas wrote:
I think it's ironic because I don't really see a huge draw for Prince of Persia, and yet that movie got greenlit faster. I realize it probably has a vocal group of fans on some other forum, but it just doesn't do anything for me (the game wasn't really my cup of tea.)

I don't think that it has anything to do with the vocality of the fans as opposed to the fact that - as a video game - it has made more money, which could be interpreted as more exposure of the property.

"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie

Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:06 pm

Hero

AlexM wrote:
Hope springs eternal.

So do herpes.

:lol:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:24 am

Adventurer

AlexM wrote:
Well, as long as Jerry Bruckheimer continues to send us a Christmas basket every year... Hope springs eternal.

and, did he again?

"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.

Post subject: Re: Re:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:23 pm

Hero

Vidynn wrote:
AlexM wrote:

and, did he again?

Nope, this year Brucheimer donated to charties in the name of everyone on his list ... Palladium included...

Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

Post subject: Re: Re:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points
Maryann wrote:
Vidynn wrote:
AlexM wrote:

and, did he again?

Nope, this year Brucheimer donated to charties in the name of everyone on his list ... Palladium included...

That's cool. :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:46 pm

Explorer

its too bad, but no, i dont think so.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:47 pm

Knight

While I would love to see it, I have my doubts.

:(