CS propaganda...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DocS
Adventurer

CS propaganda...

Unread post by DocS »

Has CS propaganda made it into your games? I was running one game and found the CS propaganda machine a wealth of fun material! I kind of imagined the CS using all the tricks and the PC's coming across them wherever they went in CS territory

TV shows
Comic books
Toys
Movies
Testimonials
"Anti-magic and human purity clubs" for children

I even went as far as to create a CS 'Super hero' for kids to emulate and the PC's to get distasteful. 'course 'Skull' wasn't 'super' inasmuch as he was a human who'd brought himself to the prime of physical perfection and used his training to defend humanity from all threats! Skull had a sidekick, the sidekick was a psi stalker.

Fun ways for the CS influence to be felt other than "guys in black armor show up and shoot at you"
Bood Samel
Adventurer
Comment: The only place worth going is too far.

Unread post by Bood Samel »

I always imagined a lot of the deadboys to have a boots and braces skinhead style on their off time, including having catchy nationalistic, Oi bands. I picture the rooster sparrer song england belongs to me but with it being, "The Coalition belongs to me- the nations pride, the fortress walls of its cities!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oi%21
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cock_Sparrer
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

I wouldnt immagine comic books at least by cannon would be too wide spread though. Supposedly the vast majority of CS citizens are some how totally illterate. But I just dont see that working myself (And promptly ignore that, though I still give them a high number of illterates especially amongst security/military forces)

If you happen to have the Rifts novel trillogy they have a few good ideas in there too. Such as 'Re-Education' camps that they send 'misguided' troops to, along with ones that simply have had alot of in the field exposure to D-bees etc, even if they havent shown any signs of wavering.
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

Chello!

I always pictured the CS NewsNet being like the commercials in the (bad) Starship Troopers movie...."Would you like to know more?" :D

That's pretty much standard in our game. That and the CS broadcasting the CSN network as far as they can in North America. ;)

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Oh hell yeah.

Everything from news broadcasts (TV & radio) to introducing the game "D-bees and Deadboys" video game.

Also the illiterate thing bugs me so the average non-privileged citizen reads at about a 3rd grade level (same with math) so comics are common, mostly like Sgt. Rock and Capt. America types (but Skull, now theres and idea worth stea...er... borrowing).

Plus TV shows like "ISS in the Burbs", comedies, etc, etc.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Shotgun Jolly
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shotgun Jolly »

CaptRory wrote:I could see a CS Version of the Boyscouts led by special members of the "Ministry of Propaganda" and CS Trooper Action Figures.

I have the same view on this one. Kinda like a CS Youth Division. Like Army Cadets!

Plus I tend to describe posters on walls with CS soldiers standing between a women/child and a Massive Evil looking creatures.

And also haveing the CS troops hand out candy and stuff to childern while on patrols through human settlements. Stuff like that.

Regards
©-JC Locke retains ownership and rights of all original artwork and information posted
by the ShotGun Jolly account.
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador

Chello again!

Shotgun_Jolly wrote:
Plus I tend to describe posters on walls with CS soldiers standing between a women/child and a Massive Evil looking creatures.

A good inspiration for that is WW2 Soviet posters...that have a lot of the evil German soldier pics that would work.

http://eng.plakaty.ru/posters?cid=5

Tony
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Here is a good place to start, mildly NSFW but funny all the same.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Shotgun_Jolly wrote:
CaptRory wrote:I could see a CS Version of the Boyscouts led by special members of the "Ministry of Propaganda"

I have the same view on this one. Kinda like a CS Youth Division. Like Army Cadets!

Prosek Youth?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

The late show with Joseph Prosek

-I have alot of posters of Uncle Sam (Prosek) poining saying "We Want You"
-I also make very good use of the Starship Troopers type: "Would you like to know more" "Join now and become a citizen"
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by AdmTolval »

For my campaign I came up with the Coalition Pledge:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag
of the Coalition States of America,
and to the Empire for which it stands:
one Nation under Prosek, indivisible,
With Law and Order for all.

You can also change the last part to "With Law and Order for all humans."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

AdmTolval wrote:You can also change the last part to "With Law and Order for all humans."

There's something else worth considering? :-?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

While my CS isn't as draconian as some (( For instance they don't automatically start lobbing missiles and MD fire if they see a DB but more try and run um off and kick um out. Killing as nessisary rather than psychotic knee jerk reaction))

But yes my CS has a Hitler You.. er... Prosek Youth corps... what alot of people forget is that the BoyScouts by design IS a military prep orginisation. You don't see it as clearly today as you used to. Today they've toned it down a lot to be PC, but I have a few of the classic Boy Scout hand books. (( DOn't ask why, a friend gave me an old one once so I started picking them up when ever I found them)) and in the older ones, it wasn't as cloaked. There's chapters on silent movement, camouflage, hand signals for use in the wilderness, trap setting, memory work for recon missions, real land navigation all that stuff... and if you make it to Eagle in the Boy Scouts, you get commissioned if you enter the army. That's today. Hardly ANYONE realizes that... (( save the guys that do it... ))

So the Prosek Youth is a bit like the 'old' boyscouts with a good deal of propaganda thrown in. I would say it was like the Hitler youth but I honestly know NOTHING about that so I won't make the claim.

The PR campaign goes on further too. There's action figures like our GI Joes but they're fashioned after the CS Military, with the CS as the heros. All the different armor types, and different vehicles can be bought by kids to "Play war" Untill they get old enough to where they're "steered" and "Guided" to sign up. Same with the Prosek youth. It's subtil prep work.

Also about one in 100 of the figures have little micro cameras that activate when key words are heard with in range and record and send stuff back to a central processing computer for annalists. (( Like the 5 acres of super computers under fort meed that listen to our phone calls for key words))

The "Bad guys" of the toy line are the MENACING D-BEE HORDES!!! Where you can get evil quick flex alien figures for your CS troops to blow up or (( insert DBees book here)). Again, making the DBees out to be bad guys and getting it in their little brains young.

There's afternoon Cartoons, just like we had as kids. But instead of Thunder cats and GI Joe, they have the Ranger squad (( A CS Military show with the CS military as the heros and DBees and magic users as the ongoing villains. Like GI Joe but.. yeah)) and then they have an "I.S" Show that's alot like batman but with the IS and dog boys as heroes of the cities, sniffing out and doing away with magic users and what not in the citys. Again indoctrinating them young.

Once they get to teen years there's CS Martial arts classes and stuff that teach hand to hand, with an operating eye towards stearing the best and brightest towards the military, and once they're in their teens there's a ROTC Program that is hard and heavy recruiting for the CS military.

As for adult propaganda. Yes it's very prevalent. Much like Starship troopers, or V for Vendetta or any number of other fascists state images you can think of. Very 1984. Large posters of Prosek on walls. Video camera's on light poles. Little hover drones patrolling neighborhoods. TV and Radio sprouting the popular opinion of the day, your neighbors being paid if they turn you in for harboring a Dbee... that sort of thing. While the populas is 'happy' they're also more than a bit paranoid because of it. Such an environment doesn't lend itself to sleeping really well at night.

In my CS the secret police are alot bigger and more ingrained into society than the books really make out. Again, they arn't as BLOOD THIRSTY KILL UM ALL ALL DEE BEE SCUM MUST DIE!!!! but they're smarter and sneekier... which in the end, makes them much more dangerous.

What's the old saying? An evil guy that kills bunnies and twirls his mustash is easy to spot. But the guy acting like your friend and having a beer with you at the bar, that secretly turns you in to the Secret police is much harder to get a handle on.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

Pepsi. Honestly?

I think your pretty spot on with some of that stuff. There is afterall in the novel a mention of 'Deadboys and D-Bees' which has replaced 'Cowboys and Indians'.

In the CS no one wants to be the D-Bees, outside of the CS no one wants to be the CS.

I mean I could see tons of stuff about how the CS engages in 'humanitarian efforts' to aid the poor humans etc. While maybe several other shows glorify the killing of Deamons, D-Bees, Mages etc.

Makes me thing of that Cops take off (I think it's called Troopers) done by some Starwars fans. Where they make it up like STs going around and how in reality the gunned down jawas were all these gangsters or something.

And eh.. something about the Lars family being allways a source of trouble and being gunned down running away from arrest or something. I cant quite recall as it's been a while. But it was kinda funny.

I could also see them doing all sorts of public school 'awareness weeks' about the horrors of D-bees and such. I'd also honestly, given the setting make up cartoons to be more like alot of the cartoons in Japan. Where quite a few of them aimed at very young kids are quite violent etc.

All the better to mould young minds into beliving it's A-OK! to gun down d-bees and others in cold blood.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

I don't know if it's been mentioned but the CS fields alot of troops. It could be that there's mandatory military requirement. And it's not that alien of an idea. MANY Modern country's still require 2 to 4 years in your country's military after high school.

You can "get out of it" if you're rich, or disabled or for a half dozen other reasons but still, it's mandatory for the majority of the populas. I'm not talking about backwards ass third world country's either. Croatia, and Israel both come to mind. They're both perfectly modernized.

Now, in th CS (( With the attitudes they seem to enforce)) It might be "Citizens only are mandatory, with wanna be citizens being able to sign up to up their chances of becoming citizens."

Or it could be "Everyone between the ages of 18 and 22... or "All males" (( though with the number of high up CS females I doubt this.))

But that would solve __all__ of the recruitment problems right there. If everyone had to go in (( Save the rich who buy out)) Then you get your fighting force. If indoctoratated since birth that this was simply something you had to do, you wouldn't look at it as an injustice. (( I mean honestly, how many kids see normal elementary and High school as an injustice so hard that they fight against it? 1 in 100? 1 in 500? The drop out rate is not THAT high)).

Once you're in for your mandatory service commitment, you get indoctorated into the military. Sure there's some that are going to "Do ya 4 and out" but yo don't wanna keep those guys anyway, they're just good for cannon fodder. It's the guys that Reup on their OWN that make the good troops. and with 2 to 4 years experience under their belts and the fact they re-up on their own, tells you they WANT to be there and people that WANT to do their job, do better.

Just a possibility that would seemingly answer alot of questions for the CS...

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

MASTERMIND
Adventurer
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...

Re: CS propaganda...

Unread post by MASTERMIND »

DamonS wrote:Has CS propaganda made it into your games? I was running one game and found the CS propaganda machine a wealth of fun material! I kind of imagined the CS using all the tricks and the PC's coming across them wherever they went in CS territory

TV shows
Comic books
Toys
Movies
Testimonials

I even went as far as to create a CS 'Super hero' for kids to emulate and the PC's to get distasteful. 'course 'Skull' wasn't 'super' inasmuch as he was a human who'd brought himself to the prime of physical perfection and used his training to defend humanity from all threats! Skull had a sidekick, the sidekick was a psi stalker.

Fun ways for the CS influence to be felt other than "guys in black armor show up and shoot at you"

Mind if I take notes on that? I like that idea.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: CS propaganda...

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

DamonS wrote:Has CS propaganda made it into your games? I was running one game and found the CS propaganda machine a wealth of fun material! I kind of imagined the CS using all the tricks and the PC's coming across them wherever they went in CS territory

TV shows
Comic books
Toys
Movies
Testimonials

So then you have "Just say no to Magic!"
"Kids don't accept candy from monsters"
"Kids if your friends ask you if you want to do a Ley Line, they aren't real friends."
His sidekick should be a Psi Hound not a Stalker as the Stalkers are abarents while the dogs are more accepted as they are, well... dogs.
Skull and his faithful hound Guardian.

In last weeks episode of Savior PA, Skull and Guardian found a band of the evil Cactus People and were going to eliminate them in order to defend all of humanity from their threat. But they hesitated for just a moment and are poisoned by the diabolic cactus people's venomous needles. How will they survive... we'llfind out in todays episode of Savior PA. Que theme music "Go, go Savior PA. Mighty proto(explained as short for power armor not psuedo) power ar-armor!" (to the tune of mighty morphin power rangers which was in their 104th incarnation at the time of the appocolypse.) :lol:... but sadly possible. Wonder if it would be Mighty Morphin Chromium Rangers... each one really shiney versions of the colors? :nh: :D
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

*Cue small village*

The danger is out there....

*Pan into a school*
~singing~ I love you... you love me....

They try to lure you with sweet apperances

*Focus in on D-Bees*
~Singing~ Were' just one big family....

And then.. thats when they strike!

*Cue to D-Bees, mutants etc slaughtering the humans in the town*

Dont be fooled! Be ever vigilant!

*Cue to 'heroic' looking Deadboys saving the town of humans*

Join the Coalition Army today and make a difference!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Mmmmmmm Unisex showers... like in Starship troopers....

Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Mmmmmmm Unisex showers... like in Starship troopers....

No unisex shoers for the wierd.. beaver with a hat like thing!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Kesslan wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:Mmmmmmm Unisex showers... like in Starship troopers....

No unisex shoers for the wierd.. beaver with a hat like thing!

It's a Cuscus!!! From Mutants down under! My first ever RPG. I loved the book so much I conned my 6th grade science teacher into letting me use it as an attributed source in a report I did on them.

And don't forget. The Cuscus not only has a hat.. he has a pump action shot gun!

As for the mandatory military service. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for the CS. Baring exception. (( Retardation, disability, gross overweight, mental disorder, being rich and buying your way out, ect)) in "My" rifts earth, if you're a CITIZEN of the CS. You put in at least 4 years in the military. (( or equivalent service. ))

Much like was said. Many will be support roles, but our military is like 73% support roles now.

If you guys want the mindset, go actually READ Starship troopers. Pay attention to the discussions about the difference between the citizens and the civilians.

Goblin-Jack
Explorer

Unread post by Goblin-Jack »

Actually, as I read it, military service in the CS is a highly desired thing, and they're usually selective about who they allow into the ranks. Remember, it's a great stepping stone for an ordinary person, and the jobs come with a (comparatively) high degree of power so I don't think they'd make it mandatory service. Someone should write (as in actually write a letter, print it out and sign it), to Kevin and ask him that.

:D --GJ.
"Wujcik rules!!!"
Goblin-Jack
Explorer

Pepsi Jedi wrote:and if you make it to Eagle in the Boy Scouts, you get commissioned if you enter the army. That's today. Hardly ANYONE realizes that... (( save the guys that do it... ))

Pepsi old-boy, are you sure about that? I was an eagle scout when I enlisted and that didn't come up... I had to get commissioned the old-fashioned way, and even then I ran into eagle scouts who were enlisted... Is that one of those in times of a draft type-things?

"Wujcik rules!!!"
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador

Chello!

Goblin-Jack wrote:Someone should write (as in actually write a letter, print it out and sign it), to Kevin and ask him that.

Or, just ask him at OH! :D

As to the Eagle Scout thing, I'm pretty sure all that gets you is:

a) Enlistment @ Pay Grade/Rank E-3/PFC (ie, more money starting out)

and

b) Brownie points if you apply for an ROTC scholarship.

I could be wrong.

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0

+425 Movie Geek Points!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

I'm not sure about "NOW" as in right now, but things have changed in the past 10 years.

I know when I was in HS and doin' the eagle stuff that if you signed up you went in as an 01.

Well You enlisted, did your basic then went straight to OCS.. so you achieved O1.

Maybe that's what it is. You still enlist and all but get bumped to OCS easier.

I didn't actually go in, so it very well might have changed. *nods*

I actually tested well on my ASVAVs and would have hit OCS anyway.

Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador

Chello!

Well, i was in 17+ years ago and that's the way I remember it...and I had a 129 on my ASVAB...no OCS for me...have to have college already.

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0

+425 Movie Geek Points!
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador

P.S. i realized that might sound kinda snarky, but isn't meant to be...I have a bit of indigestion today so I'm trying to be concise. ;)

Tony
Goblin-Jack
Explorer

Lord_Dalgard wrote:P.S. i realized that might sound kinda snarky, but isn't meant to be...I have a bit of indigestion today so I'm trying to be concise. ;)

Tony

Nope, not snarky, good luck with the indigestion!

"Wujcik rules!!!"
DocS
Adventurer

Unread post by DocS »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
But yes my CS has a Hitler You.. er... Prosek Youth corps... what alot of people forget is that the BoyScouts by design IS a military prep orginisation.

Oooh, fun adventure idea! The party is somehow found out by Prosek Youth Corps members. What do they do to the kiddies who've been brainwashed to run to CS troops.....

Add to it the idea of perhaps these kids are hiding out in a defunct military base (it was exterminated by mechanoids or something and the kids are the only survivors) and these kids are trying to kill the party with salvaged CS equipment. How does a good aligned party fight children?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Or Prosek Youth that went out with a CS squad for advanced Wilderness survival training and a "Graduation cruise" sort of thing.

The CS Squad runs into hostiles (( Incert your fave here, Xitichick, Dbees, demons, magic users, bandits)), all the "Adults" are killed, the last one saving the kids by hiding them away till the battle's over.

How you have a bunch of
1) Young
2) Aggressive
3) Some what trained

Humans out in the wilderness. Say the squad was 20 CS troops, your 5 person gaming group could salvage enough equipment for just thier 5....

Do the kids try and finish the mission themselves?

Do they think this is part of the test?

Do they fold and freak out?

Are they captured?

Do they survive to return heros?

Do they run into friendly DBees that help them survive from the Hostiles (( which ever you use)) That confuse the Proseck Youth's world views?

Do they decide NOT to go back?

Is it actually a test? (( Evil GMs could use this and then move them right into the CS Training, to be troops.... do they pass or fail their field test?))

Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

Heh Pepsi, sounds a touch familar to the Jade Pheonix Battletech trillogy. Cept that setup was on purpose.

Which.. perhaps your scenario also could be... A test of loyalty etc or something.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

I actually got the idea from ST DS9's "Valiant" Episode when an elite squad of Starfleet Cadets find themselves captaining a Defiant class battleship behind enemy lines during the dominion war after all the "real" officers were killed... but hey.

What ever floats ya boat. *G*

Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I actually got the idea from ST DS9's "Valiant" Episode when an elite squad of Starfleet Cadets find themselves captaining a Defiant class battleship behind enemy lines during the dominion war after all the "real" officers were killed... but hey.

What ever floats ya boat. *G*

Heh well its the sort of idea that floats around I'm sure. I wouldnt be supprised if there's even some real world examples out there.
Library Ogre

I'm up to 19 pages of notes on CS life, politics, and economy.

My ectoplasm and telekinesis article was 12 pages typed. It had 4 pages of notes.

I'm religiously not checking this thread.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

the_robot wrote:
Goblin-Jack wrote:Actually, as I read it, military service in the CS is a highly desired thing, and they're usually selective about who they allow into the ranks. Remember, it's a great stepping stone for an ordinary person, and the jobs come with a (comparatively) high degree of power so I don't think they'd make it mandatory service.

That's sort of what I thought. And it is certainly more in the flavor of the Starship Troopers type of feel, which I personally think is perfect for the CS. If you sign up and are accepted for service, you get certain privledges normal citizens of the CS don't, not to mention far more money and influence...I like that.

The only issue is that the CS doesnt actually -really- guarantee citizenship for those that serve. More only -after- you've retired. And then usually only actually for who ever realy served rather than their families as well (which is usually what they promise).

ST on the other hand works the same way, but they dont pretend that just becuase you served your family gets citizenship as well.
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

Cain. That game sounds Awesome.

Wish I was playing in it :(
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

Cain wrote:
Kesslan wrote:Cain. That game sounds Awesome.

Wish I was playing in it :(

Heh. I'll give you a shout if we go back to playing online. Just moved back to Calgary, so we've been doing face to face lately. Maybe when school starts we'll go back to online chat sessions though. By your email addy, I'm guessing you live down east?

Ottawa.

The real issue I have these days is that for the last 4 years I've been working night jobs. Often weekends, 7 days in a row kinda thing. Lately I've gotten a new job. Still nights, but I get weekends off (Finally! God thats awesome after 4 years. I actualy get -every- weekend off! :shock: )

So it would all depend on when you'd be running the games. At work I can still use IM (it's not exactly a demanding job) weekends might be doable depending on times etc.

Hrmm but to get abit more back on topic. To give you ideas to further torment the players with...

If you have any female characters in the group, look at a new line of body care products. Lotions, Bath oils, perfume (Colone for the men), soap, sports sticks, deoderizers, razors, music players, video players.. honestly.. anything sports starts and other famous people peg to the masses today for wads of money.

Throw in some noteriety (and even in a few cases worship) from outside the CS even. Afterall there are pro-CS towns etc that are not part of the CS.

Maybe a few unofficial fanclubs and such in the burbs.

Throw in some villans that want to capture them to 'make an example' of them. Afterall with their highly recognizable status in the CS how big of a hit to morale would it be for them to be say.. publicly executed? Asassinated? Sacrificed in some evil ritual?
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

To throw another angle into it and steal a common motive out of Shadowrun. You could also have companies competing against each other for their services. Some times openly "I'll pay you X to promote our products exclusively!" some times starting up a flat out secret war against each other.

Company X tries to sabotage the photo shoot of Company Y. Company C on the other hand figgures if they cant have the PCs promote their products no one will and tries to have the PCs killed. Or hey maybe it's even just a jealous dethroned modle out to get one of the PCs because he/she stole -their- job and public attention.

There's just sooo many ways to make their lives hell it isnt funny...

Well ok, maybe it is if your the GM :demon:

And who says you cant have MDC swimware? Triax Plain Clothes baby! Wouldnt have much MDC though but might be possible. Dont really see what purpose it would serve though and that doesnt stop you from modling non MDC clothing and swimware.

Ontop of it you'll have members of their own forces challenging the 'hot shots' to 'prove themselves' be it bar fights or what have you. All the worse if the one making the challenge is part of the special forces or something.

Not all of it has to be potentially lethal either, pranks, smear campaigns, doctored photos, videos and audio files etc. Other folk looking for the slightest thing to use as blackmail.
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador

Chello!

Not quite CS propaganda but in our game, our Merc company is a Naruni front. We use exclusively Naruni products, our endorsements are used in advertising campaigns in MercTown, etc. I don't think the rest of the party realizes that we'll soon become targets for the CS....:D

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0

+425 Movie Geek Points!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Heh isn't it a death sentance if you're found with more than one product of theirs, and even if you only have one, they take it away, beat you silly, ruin all of your other stuff cut you and bury you up to your head by a fire ant hill?

Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador

Chello!

Yes, well, there is that...and that CS squad we took out the other day...and helping Desmond Bradford escape from the clutches of Joe Prosek (don't ask)....and freeing a bunch of Renegade dog-boys from an internment camp....

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0

+425 Movie Geek Points!
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

The CS is for loosers! Dont be like them!

Buy Naruni Enterprises equipment!*

*Now with frequent CS Agitator discounts!

Oh god.. some reason or other I'm suddenly reminded of a parody video I saw ages ago that was making fun of some US political TV ad. Something about there 'being wolves out there'.

The parrody had stuff about wolves working in hospitals and how such and such was going to let them EAT YOUR BABIES!

Some of the wolves ARE GAY!

And how they'll make you wear A PINK TUXEDO! to your son's GAY WOLF WEDDING!

God I wish I could find it again.

I could almost see some of the CS warning ads being like that. Just replace stuff like being gay with being D-Bees, magic users etc.
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador

Chello!

lol...something alomg the lines of:

{Int. of Upper-Level Burb Apt. in Chi-Town}

DAD: Damnit, I can't believe I caught you doing that filthy stuff with those freaks AGAIN!

SON: But Dad, I was born this way. I can't help being what I am....

Etc., etc.

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0

+425 Movie Geek Points!
Trencher
D-Bee

Unread post by Trencher »

Live TV report from the latest human village eaten by demons.

""TV picture zooms in on a man who is beeing chewed upon by a demon while commentator says : this man thought he could co-exist with the d-bees.""
Trencher
D-Bee

Pretty good K20A2_S
How about this?
zooms to skull and spike clad sorcerer "this man is willing to pay the price of magic"
zooms back to man beeing eaten by demon
"are you?"
then screen goes black and white text says: Humanity "black screen" is the price "black screen" of magic.
Then suddenly a computer generated blood red etheral demonic face comes flying out of the screen witht a sudden roar scareing the audience.
Library Ogre

Trencher wrote:Pretty good K20A2_S
How about this?
zooms to skull and spike clad sorcerer "this man is willing to pay the price of magic"
zooms back to man beeing eaten by demon
"are you?"
then screen goes black and white text says: Humanity "black screen" is the price "black screen" of magic.
Then suddenly a computer generated blood red etheral demonic face comes flying out of the screen witht a sudden roar scareing the audience.

I'd make them demonic skulls... can't be too close to the Dead Boy image, after all... and you have to do voice-overs, instead of text.

All Palladium Articles
Trencher
D-Bee

Oh yeah I forgot they cant read.
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

I don't know, if I was getting bombarded by propaganda like that when I was a teen I'd probably go find a magic user and beg em to teach me how to do that. :lol:

As for the commenter report with the guy getting chewed on by a D-bee... Well I guess I'd be asking myself where the d-bees are and then probably notice a lot of dead everything in the area. Even in a society like the Coalition states there will always be skeptics when it comes to T.V. Reports. I've seen propaganda in real life now and I can tell you that it's hard to make propaganda information fit when other information conflicts with the propaganda.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Trencher
D-Bee

Thats why you film from a real human village.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Colt47 wrote:I don't know, if I was getting bombarded by propaganda like that when I was a teen I'd probably go find a magic user and beg em to teach me how to do that. :lol:

As for the commenter report with the guy getting chewed on by a D-bee... Well I guess I'd be asking myself where the d-bees are and then probably notice a lot of dead everything in the area. Even in a society like the Coalition states there will always be skeptics when it comes to T.V. Reports. I've seen propaganda in real life now and I can tell you that it's hard to make propaganda information fit when other information conflicts with the propaganda.

Thats the reason the CS spends so much time and energy on suppressing outside info.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.

Return to “Rifts®”