Should I premake characters.

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Should I premake characters.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

Or should i wait until I get there? I know before Cons I make a few, and then play some of the ones I made, and use GM pre-gens the rest of the time. Just wondering.
Chaos
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Should I premake characters.

Unread post by Chaos »

Ravenwing wrote:Or should i wait until I get there? I know before Cons I make a few, and then play some of the ones I made, and use GM pre-gens the rest of the time. Just wondering.

I too need to know this one :shock: someone let us know ;)
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

You might as well bring along a few finished charaqcters for pickup games and such...

But most GM's will have pre-generated characters ready for you (in varrying degrees of preparedness: my players walked away with a mini-sourcebook, Brandon Aten ran a game where all the Knights were photocopies of each other ;) )
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:You might as well bring along a few finished charaqcters for pickup games and such...

But most GM's will have pre-generated characters ready for you (in varrying degrees of preparedness: my players walked away with a mini-sourcebook, Brandon Aten ran a game where all the Knights were photocopies of each other ;) )
And me, I had players finish characters I started making right there @ the table. (yeah i was lazy and didnt start making pre-gens til like a day or two before hand).
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
The Deific NMI wrote:
Braden, GMPhD wrote:You might as well bring along a few finished charaqcters for pickup games and such...

And me, I had players finish characters I started making right there @ the table. (yeah i was lazy and didnt start making pre-gens til like a day or two before hand).

Yeah but Carem was still cranking out "Killfest" characters on VIP night,

:lol:

Besides Nimmy your game has attained legendary status. It just kept going.......and going........and going.

But all of your people seemed to be having a blast!

:ok:
I am glad they did. Kevin S. had told me he even heard about my game and that people enjoyed it.

I hope I dont let people down with my Splicers game nor my Aliens Unlimited: Atorian Empire preview.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Chaos
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chaos »

For you would you prefer us to make our own characters for your Splicers game or do you have some made up that we pick from NMI? Your game is one of the ones that truly interest me because I have yet to actually play a Splicers game :shock:
Last edited by Chaos on Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Chaos wrote:For you would you prefer us to make our own characters for your Splicers game or do you have some made up that we pick from NMI? Your game is one of the ones that truly interest ma because I have yet to actually play a Slicers game :shock:
I "should" be providing Pre-gens.
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

The Deific NMI wrote:And me, I had players finish characters I started making right there @ the table. (yeah i was lazy and didnt start making pre-gens til like a day or two before hand).

Wow, and I thought I was the only one... :oops:
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

I'm definitely going to have to attend..(may have enough money by then)

But....my actual reply is a question........whe n you design a character, what is the general level of your characters...(i'v had some in the range of levels 3-8....

If i were going, i would more than likely play HU2 or Robotech...
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I usually make low to mid level range characters.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Snake Eyes wrote:I'm definitely going to have to attend..(may have enough money by then)

But....my actual reply is a question........whe n you design a character, what is the general level of your characters...(i'v had some in the range of levels 3-8....

If i were going, i would more than likely play HU2 or Robotech...

I would say make a level one character. That way if you are allowed to start higher you can just level them before-hand.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

As a GM, I always use pre-gens for con games. It's just safer that way, and I can make sure the party has the necessary skills and abilities to succeed at the challenge I'm presenting.

I've already got the majority of my pre-gens created for this year's VotP campaign. I managed to cheat a bit at it, to reduce my work-load this time around. I got my play-group to generate characters along with me, for use in their play test of my planned adventure. This way, the characters all feel very genuine, as they are genuine creations of people who were going to use them to play!

VotP characters are a lot simpler than normal PF characters (or most other PB systems), but still, I figured it would be good for skills and rolls and such to be done by people who cared.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Warwolf

Re: re on warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

bob the desolate one wrote:how open are most of the games that let homebrews characters in i get accused of making munchkins but i always have good back storys to explain why my characters are how they are and they are all outa the books

I know that I personally have some house rules and tweaks to the system that necessitate characters either be made by me or under my supervision. I'm not sure how most other G.M.'s are, but I imagine it's safer to either stick with the book and make a low-level character, or at least have one or two that fit that description as backups.
Kevin
Yeah, The Publisher Guy

Can't hurt bringing pre-rolled characters

Unread post by Kevin »

I believe most, if not ALL scheduled games will have pre-rolled characters for gamers to play.

HOWEVER, it never hurts to have a few extra characters handy just in case.

In case of what, you might ask?

In case, the G.M. is willing to expand the number of people allowed in his game (I do that all the time), but does NOT have enough pre-rolled character sheets handy. Or in case, you jump into an unscheduled game in the Open Gaming area or a game at the hotel.

There should be one or two, big "presidential suites" (suitable for 2-3 gaming events at a time) available at the hotel for around the clock gaming. Plus, I know a number of people have talked about games in their own room. Most of this, of course, takes place after the Palladium Offices/Warehouse close around midnight.

Man, oh man, am I getting pumped up for the Open House. Hope you are too.

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda
Publisher, President, Writer and Convention Host
Warwolf

Re: Can't hurt bringing pre-rolled characters

Unread post by Warwolf »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
Uncle Misfit wrote:
Kevin wrote:Man, oh man, am I getting pumped up for the Open House. Hope you are too.

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda

You're excited? Feel these nipples!

Note to self, stay 10 feet from Misfit at all times.

:?

Misfit has ten-foot nipples... whoa. :shock: :?
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Re: Can't hurt bringing pre-rolled characters

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Uncle Misfit wrote:
Warwolf wrote:
Citizen Lazlo wrote:
Uncle Misfit wrote:
Kevin wrote:Man, oh man, am I getting pumped up for the Open House. Hope you are too.

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda

You're excited? Feel these nipples!

Note to self, stay 10 feet from Misfit at all times.

:?

Misfit has ten-foot nipples... whoa. :shock: :?

When I'm excites, yes.

man goes through t-shirts like you or me go through cups of coffee.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."

Return to “Palladium Open House”