Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Guild of Magic & Psionics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject: Crazies Psionics
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:46 am

Palladin

a Crazy gets their Psionics via MOM implants, which are technically cybernetic like devices.

do further cybernetics (assuming they get them) or bionics kill these MOM psi powers off, like they would in other CCs ? (where do you start counting?)

do the Crazy psionics manifest in RCCs that can't have psionics ?

it looks like RUE changed things and non-human Crazies now don't get psionics.

:?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:13 am

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.
A MOM implant is cybernetics in that it is a mechanical/electrical device implanted in a human body. However, it acts very differently from most cyberware, even most cyberware that interacts with the brain.

Take, for example, a headjack. A headjack does a specific thing... it allows the brain to interface with other devices. This might be a radio, a computer, or whatever, but it's essentially just a piece equipment that's plugged into the brain... a bit of weight that, while useful, drags it down. If you use your brain for anything unusual (say, tossing cars), this could be a problem.

A MOM system is like an exoskeleton for the brain.... on par with the powered armor from Starship Troopers, instead of the power armor from Rifts. It's main purpose is to enhance its natural functions. It speeds them up. Crazies don't become smarter, per se, but they think and react faster, their muscles get stronger, their bodies last longer, because this "exoskeleton" is helping them do a lot of heavy lifting. In the course of doing this, it gives them some abilities they didn't have before... the psychic powers. This is usually seen as opening up potentials that they always had, but just weren't available without the exoskeleton carrying more of the "weight."

All Palladium Articles
Two Tales of Tellene

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:31 pm

Palladin

so can you answer the question ? (any of them) :P

Post subject: Re: Crazies Psionics
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:43 pm

gadrin wrote:
a Crazy gets their Psionics via MOM implants, which are technically cybernetic like devices.

do further cybernetics (assuming they get them) or bionics kill these MOM psi powers off, like they would in other CCs ? (where do you start counting?)

Everything not psynetc.

Quote:
o the Crazy psionics manifest in RCCs that can't have psionics ?

No.

All Palladium Articles
Two Tales of Tellene

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:48 pm

Palladin

MrNexx wrote:

Everything not psynetc.

cool, so my pre-RUE orc crazy can get Cyber-armor and Amplified hearing and not have his psi-powers touched...cool. 8-)

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:34 pm

gadrin wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Everything not psynetc.

cool, so my pre-RUE orc crazy can get Cyber-armor and Amplified hearing and not have his psi-powers touched...cool. 8-)

Given that he has no psi-powers, since orcs do not have them, sure.

All Palladium Articles
Two Tales of Tellene

Post subject: CRAZY CYBERNETICS
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:16 am

Adventurer

Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled
I've ofen wonderd something similar in regards to the implants in Psyscpape that grant psionic powers. Do cybernetics interfere with those? Can a cyborg get those? A full conversion borg with some of those implants could do some serious damage. :demon:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:26 am

Adventurer

Comment: Growing old is mandatory,
Growing up is optional!!!!
MrNexx wrote:
Quote:

Orcs have the capacity for psychic powers the same way humans do on rifts earth, so you can have an Orc mind-melter or Burster.

As for the M.O.M implants, no one is really sure 'exactly' what they do, if they did then they could eliminate the insanity side effects that are common with them.

As to the inherent psychic powers of various races/species, I interperated the Crazy O.C.C. as 'additional' traits, as the Implants are apparently less intrusive to the body than cybernetics/bionics.

It could be that cybernetics/bionics disrupt the flow of spirit (or Ki/chi/etc. what ever you prefer) energy along the central nervous system (CNS) or whatever, where as M.O.M are implanted mostly 'external' to these energy lines ( like an ice berg, that's why they stick out your skull!).

In that respect, M.O.M implants to cybernetics/bionics are like medicines/poisons, the correct amount can be good for you, but too much is deadly!

gadrin wrote:

A Crazy does not get his psychic powers from the M.O.M implants per se, but the location where they are implanted causes the stimulation of those areas & the manifistation of inherent psychic abilities common to all beings ("they like free your mind man!"- Delwin Moonbeam).

gadrin wrote:

Maybe. Cybernetics/bionics disrupt the flow of energy (life? sic.) around the body & definetly affect I.S.P/P.P.E. as it would for any other O.C.C./R.C.C. Therefore I would say that if you cannot manifest the psi-powers due to low base I.S.P. then you have lost them 8-)

gadrin wrote:
do the Crazy psionics manifest in RCCs that can't have psionics ?

Are there any? I thought they all had the capacity to 'possibly' be psychic (improbability aside for the moment) in which case yes.

Basically, talk it over with your mates, if they agree then good! if they don't, then let their tyres down.

8-)

"All fungi are edible! Some fungi are edible only once!"

"Religion is for people who lack faith."

ALBERTLANDER!!!!

http://www.sofageek.com
An invitation to all scifi/fantasy geeks who find the sofa just too comfortable!!!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:46 am

Palladin

MrNexx wrote:

senor Nexx, are you saying the Crazy process shouldn't provide him with psionics (via psynetics) in the first place ?

I had thought it could.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:09 pm

IMO, MOM devices that are not specifically psynetic devices will not provide psi powers.

All Palladium Articles
Two Tales of Tellene

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:56 pm

Palladin

MrNexx wrote:
IMO, MOM devices that are not specifically psynetic devices will not provide psi powers.

oh, I'm just going for the straight-MOM Crazy OCC from the original RPG (pre-RUE).

I thought those things simply "hardwired" brains for psionics.

One thing I did find interesting recently, the MOM for the Super-Solider in PU2 prevents Sixth Sense, while the original Rifts version prevented Telekinesis.

I think I understand why you can't Astrally Project, since the implants don't go with the spirit, but I'm not entirely certain on Sixth Sense or TK. Any theories ?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:53 pm

Knight

Comment: I like magic.
I think Mindwerks had some full conversion borgs that had psionics but maybe they were partial conversion, not sure.

I really don't think it should since psionics are from the brain, wheras magic seems like more of a full-body thing.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.