Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Guild of Magic & Psionics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:15 pm

Palladin

has anyone done any detail on the magical environment of HU Earth, say following the specs of the Megaverse Builder ? (or a similar planet).

I'm looking for general information, such as the number of Ley Lines and Nexus points that might be found in what I call a "modest magical fabric".

Round numbers and ballpark figures are fine.

I'm building a planet whose moon has been dis-mantled to stabilize the magical flux, etc.

:?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:38 am

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.
As long as the mods don't mind us posting that much info from a book... I could help you out a bit.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:09 am

Knight

Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin
Just my own opinion here, each continent would have about 12-15 ley lines, all many hundreds if not thousands of miles long, and about half as many nexi. One of the nexi on each continent would be a super nexus (3 or more ley lines meeting together).

If you want more magic just add smaller non intersecting ley lines this would keep the half dozen or so nexi per continent special "places of power" while still increasing the overall availbility of PPE from ley lines.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:51 pm

Palladin

Thinyser wrote:
Just my own opinion here, each continent would have about 12-15 ley lines, all many hundreds if not thousands of miles long, and about half as many nexi. One of the nexi on each continent would be a super nexus (3 or more ley lines meeting together).

If you want more magic just add smaller non intersecting ley lines this would keep the half dozen or so nexi per continent special "places of power" while still increasing the overall availbility of PPE from ley lines.

interesting, I like...

I thought Ley Lines were much shorter, but I might be remembering the "random" stuff from the old RPG.

all right, good ideas for a jumping-off/starting point. :D

Post subject: as reduced Rifts?
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:52 pm

D-Bee

You could take the approach of a reduced Rifts equivilant.. Rifts is a rich PPE enviroment so you could probably remove all the small and medium ley lines, reduce the large and huge laylines to medium small ones. (note the size values given are just named I chose).

Leylines are HUGE in Rifts, the major ones (generally forming triangles?) can be seen from outerspace (as per picture in book). There is also a picture of a leyline which is huge and can be seen as a wall running across a valley.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:55 pm

Palladin

well as of RUE they're from 3D4 to 5d6x10 miles long, at leas the random ones... so that's 7.5 to 175 miles at the extremes.

I think the average one is about 17 miles long, but that's strictly by the dice.

I think I'll work with 1D6x10 ley lines on each continent and 10% involve nexus points.

I don't plan on mapping them all, so there's plenty of room for expansion or customization later on.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:33 pm

Knight

Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin
gadrin wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

interesting, I like...

I thought Ley Lines were much shorter, but I might be remembering the "random" stuff from the old RPG.

all right, good ideas for a jumping-off/starting point. :D

I believe that most LL in rifts are short (dozens to a couple of hundred miles) though I would think that only the "Major" Ley Lines would be around in HU or PF type settings where magic exsists but is much weaker overall.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:39 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: Palladium fan from overseas
I'd apply the same criteria as in BTS.

Q.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:34 am

Palladin

mobuttu wrote:
I'd apply the same criteria as in BTS.

Q.

don't have BTS (unless you mean Between the Shadows from Nightbane, which I doubt).

I'm looking for a place that has magic, but doesn't attract mages/demons and random rifts by the bucketfull.

No random rifts (unless a real unusual occurence), and maybe -15% to -25% on the permeability of the dimensional fabric surrounding the world.

The occaisonal Rift is opened by someone who's accomplished (say 5th+ level) but it takes a ritual to open up one otherwise. I just don't want demons popping in any old time.

Shifters can still dimensional teleport home, but arriving is another matter (less of a penalty to leave than arrive). Probably not kosher by the Dimension Builder, but I'll have to revisit that book soon to come up with something.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:16 am

Hero

Not many nexi or ley lines on HU Earth.

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:23 am

Hero

Okay, I've been seeing some slight misconceptions that I feel I should clear up.

The truth is that HU Earth and Rifts Earth would have exactly the same number of lines in more or less the same positions (they are after all both parallel Earths). The real difrence is the ammount of energy you get from the ley lines. The ley lines of HU Earth are very weak and almost non-existant (that doesn't mean that they don't exist) while the lines on Rifts Earth are over-charged.

While ley lines may be weak (as on HU Earth), this is more like a dormant volcanoe than them merely disapearing (which sugests they no longer exist). With the right trigger (such as the Great Cataclysm that created Rifts Earth) even the weakest ley line could surge right back to life.

Now as for how much energy one should be able to tap into at the strongest ley lines on HU Earth, I would say about 5PPE per minute at most (and only at nexus points where the energy would be the strongest). This would be why many magical villains tend to wait until times when the magic energy would be at its highest (solstice and exquinox, eclipses and planetary alignments) to sieze control of magical sights for their insideous plots. Such places (and times) would also be the best oportunity for dimensional travelers to arrive or leave (while a random rift may not appear, the dimensional barriers would be at their weakest).

Hope this helps somewhat.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:44 am

Palladin

Ice Dragon wrote:
Not many nexi or ley lines on HU Earth.

well, the Dimension Builder actually gets into the "HU Category" where they exist, but are hard to see (unlike Rifts Earth). It's pg14-15 under the Low and Intermediate Magic Energy entries.

the trouble is, that's for the whole dimension not just the planet and Phase World is a setting that's almost equal to Rifts.

I think I'll get around it, by having "active and weak areas" within the dimension and that the terraformers of the Paradise Federation Worlds can manipulate some of the characteristics concerning magic, by dismantling the moons, altering orbits so planetary alignments occur less frequently, etc, etc but not control it fully.

my intent is to step down magic a notch or two, so that the Paradise Federation worlds resemble that, and one Shifter can't invite a horde of demons, etc and have it all come crashing down; or the Mechanoids can't Rift in...or the Splugorth...or the any other number of magic wielding villains in the setting.

I'm still letting magic portals work, so a dedicated portal between Center's Gateland and the world will be unaffected.

I think that'll cover the bases I want.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.