Boosting magic resistance

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Spark
Dungeon Crawler

Boosting magic resistance

Unread post by Spark »

Is it possible to boost magic resistance or make immune to magic attacks or effects. Say have TW armor that has the magic spell of anti-magic cloud or negate magic imbued into it. I know the standard save vs magic throw is 16 or higher, for a magic user it could be lower. This is one thing I'm looking for as a possible means of finding a real weakness for the dragons, cause adult dragons depend on magic just a little to much.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Boosting magic resistance

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Spark wrote:Is it possible to boost magic resistance or make immune to magic attacks or effects. Say have TW armor that has the magic spell of anti-magic cloud or negate magic imbued into it. I know the standard save vs magic throw is 16 or higher, for a magic user it could be lower.

A TW armor with negate magic built in would have a chance of negating any spell launched aginst them.

There's no save for an anti-magic TW armor. THe wearer is utterly immune to all magic automatically

This is one thing I'm looking for as a possible means of finding a real weakness for the dragons, cause adult dragons depend on magic just a little to much.

Right....sinse doing a claw egal dive for 2d6x10 MD isn't enough by itself :P
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Kevin Beckman wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:There's no save for an anti-magic TW armor. THe wearer is utterly immune to all magic automatically

I thought negate magic didn't work on wards and circles.

...except you quoted where I was talking about anti-magic cloud and not negate magic... :P
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Also, don't forget that dragons like everything that's valuable, including technology. I remember having a game where they packed a bunch of anti-dragon weapons (dragons and gods) and anti-magic weapons to take on a great horn dragon. When they got there they got their buts handed to them, because the dragon just swtiched to his military hard wear, including using short range missles as hand grenades, and he had 6 of those atlantis automated guns crawling over him

"They look nice, they are rare and expensive, and they're legs are great for scratching those bothersom itches and removing dead and old scales"
Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

Prince Artemis Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:07 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, don't forget that dragons like everything that's valuable, including technology. I remember having a game where they packed a bunch of anti-dragon weapons (dragons and gods) and anti-magic weapons to take on a great horn dragon. When they got there they got their buts handed to them, because the dragon just swtiched to his military hard wear, including using short range missles as hand grenades, and he had 6 of those atlantis automated guns crawling over him

"They look nice, they are rare and expensive, and they're legs are great for scratching those bothersom itches and removing dead and old scales"

Beautiful :ok:
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Kevin Beckman wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:...except you quoted where I was talking about anti-magic cloud and not negate magic... :P

Ahhh

However don't wards and circles still work in anti-magic clouds just at half damage,duration/range?

Nope. THey just arn't destroyed by it like most magics. simply rendered Inert or the duration of expsure.

Rune Weapons are the only things that still work.

Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Kevin Beckman wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:...except you quoted where I was talking about anti-magic cloud and not negate magic... :P

Ahhh

However don't wards and circles still work in anti-magic clouds just at half damage,duration/range?

Nope. THey just arn't destroyed by it like most magics. simply rendered Inert or the duration of expsure.

Rune Weapons are the only things that still work.

even Rune weapon can only use a direct attack becuse I believe thier special abilities are rendered inert in the cloud
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

Spark
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Spark »

In the rune weapons section of Atlantis, that a rune weapon's magic can not be negated or canceled out. Sure the effect of a spell being caste can be, but a mage putting an negate magic spell on one will not work, anti-magic cloud I'd have flexibility on that, in that you can keep the spell from escaping the cloud as the magic is being canceled. But as I said earlier you can not prevent a rune weapons from using it's magic by casting a spell on it specifically.

Thing is if it were possible, rune armor would be something that would make a character invincible. Being cause they're almost untouchable from magic and psionics, and rune weapons are indestructible (save for the person that created them). However that's not going to happen... unless your a god/godling.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Spark wrote:In the rune weapons section of Atlantis, that a rune weapon's magic can not be negated or canceled out. Sure the effect of a spell being caste can be, but a mage putting an negate magic spell on one will not work, anti-magic cloud I'd have flexibility on that, in that you can keep the spell from escaping the cloud as the magic is being canceled. But as I said earlier you can not prevent a rune weapons from using it's magic by casting a spell on it specifically.

Thing is if it were possible, rune armor would be something that would make a character invincible. Being cause they're almost untouchable from magic and psionics, and rune weapons are indestructible (save for the person that created them). However that's not going to happen... unless your a god/godling.

actually Rune Armor is not indestructable, and has on-average 300 MDC

Spark
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Spark »

Bloodspray wrote:Boosting your PE will make you have better saves vs magic, so just pick up some physical skills. I think magic saves are WAAY too low as it is.

For some reason I guess I forgot about this. I'll have to take another look at the RUE again about Physical skills that give pluses to PE.

You can also load up on protection items that will grant a few pluses.

Would these items to amulets or talismans?

I don't think anything can (or should) make you immune to physical, and area effect magic though (like Carpet of Adhesion, Impenetrable Wall of Force, etc).

You can have the super power "Immune to Magic". Just means that if someone throws a fireball at you you only take the fire/heat damage. I know that you could likely walk across a Carpet of Adhesion and nothing happen, and that would suck for the GM but....
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Ensorcel does wonder for boosting your magic save. Just make sure you trust the guy or gal who casts it on you! :D
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”