W.I. Rifle Grenades?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

W.I. Rifle Grenades?

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Merc Ops page 99 under the description of the WI-R12 submachine gun it states it can fire these grenades without modification, so where are the grenades? Are they described in any books. I have been through Merc Ops cover to cover and cant find them.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Omega6
D-Bee

Unread post by Omega6 »

WI rifle-lauched grenades are in both Mercenaries and Merc Ops. In Merc Ops, see the WI-GL8 for description.

It doesn't say what the ammo capacity of the built in grenade launcher is, so I would assume that it is a single shot launcher, like a modern day M203.

The WI-R12 is capable of mounting a WI-GL8 as an underbarrel weapon also. This modification makes it a multi-shot launcher, and also allows it to fire other ammo types.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Sounds a little house rule’ish. No offence, I thought based on the description the rifle grenades were 13mm (which it think it a typo it should be 15mm to match the rest of the weapons). Id does say it can fire these grenades without modification. The WI GL8 is also capable of firing shotgun shells, TX-5 and 16 pump ammunition etc. I don’t have Triax what is the caliber of this ammunition. If it is 15 mm we can deduce the rifle grenades are also 15 mm and that eliminates the question of where they are but does pose another, can all 15mm modern weapons fire these grenades?
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Omega6
D-Bee

Unread post by Omega6 »

The 13mm is the size for the bullets, not the grenades. It appears to have an underbarrel, which should be the built in grenade launcher.

The WI-GL8 fires 40mm grenades, since it is short version of the WI-GL4, which is a MD version of the modern day MM-1. The shotgun shells it fires are described as "special large-bore cartridges" which also exist for modern day 40mm grenade launchers. Also, the WI-GL20 which uses the same 40mm grenades is a MD version of the modern day Mk19 grenade launcher. Therefore, since the WI-GL8 says it fires "standard rifle grenades" that means that those grenades are 40mm.

I have never seen a size listed for the Triax pump rounds other than HE mini grenades. I would assume pump rounds would have to be loaded into a sabot shotgun shells, like slugs. Unfortunately, this portion of my response can not be backed up by the books.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Actually, rifle grenades slip on over the muzzle of a rifle and are fired by the weapon. In the old days a blank or wooden bullet was used but more modern models have a channel for a regular bullet to pass through or have a "trap" which catches the bullet without damaging the grenade.

You guys are thinking of an underbarrel grenade launcher.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Omega6
D-Bee

Unread post by Omega6 »

I am describing an underbarrel grenade launcher. I do know about the rifle launched grenades that you descibed as well. But since the grenades fired by the WI-GL8 are the style used by a 40mm and are called "standard rifle grenades", I assumed that the origanal author meant for this to be an underbarrel launcher.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

The terminology is confusing in this case, especially after I got tore-read the description and it states you can attach a WI-GL8 to the weapon or fire WI rifle grenades without modification.

I wonder if the author thinks that WI grenades can be fired from a conventional grenade launcher and can be slipped over the muzle of a rifle?

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Im changing the weapon to 15mm and ignoring the whole grenade fire thing. The author must have cut something out of his manuscript or had something edited out
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Definitely some difference between what was envisioned and what was written.

Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

One more thing...they cant fire the light ramjet rounds. The callibur is all wrong. You cant fire 10mm ammo through 15 mm barrels. It just doesn't work. So ignore that light ramjet damage.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Yeah, all the various calibers and styles of rounds doesn't really make much sense. I would hate to see the guy who can fire a SMG with rounds bigger in diameter then a .50 BMG.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

The "15mm" sub-machine gun (because WI doesn't produce 13mm rounds in ramjet format) has a very slow rate of fire. Perhaps that is why (recoil supression). The sub-machine gun as a 6 rnd burst that counts as two attacks.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Yet despite having rounds of half an inch in diamaeter, they can still boast huge magazine capacities.

Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

How many rounds do you think a snail clip could hold? I guess 90-100
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Depends on the size of the snail and the size of the round. I remmeber a snail clip for an M16 (5.56mm) that held 90 runds - but was about 8 inches across. To hold 90 rounds of half inch diamater rounds would require a rather huge contraption.

Return to “Rifts®”