Powers that stay on vs APS-Any

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

KillWatch wrote:I know that the light would be vulnerability I was stating it as such

Psst, that was an attempt at a joke. The :p was intended to be the give away if the general tone didn't make it clear.

Telepathy doesn't do physical harm, mind control doesn't do physical harm. Psi sword does

Yes but they effect the mind via psionic energy. Go take a look at Bio-Manipulation and how it is described as working (and it's listed as a power that does affect invulnerability) which is why Psi-Swords which are also psionic enegy should affect them too.

Magic Spells like Fireball affect physcial SDC so half. But magic has so many other ways to deal with an invulnerable person, fear, domination etcetc

My point though was why should they only do half if the character is supposed to be invulnerable and all the stuff that added later is just wrong.

Bio Manipulation? Blind him? Sure. Deafen him? Sure. Feel pain ok (no damage) and I would probably cut his resistance to pain in half since he doesn't normally feel it.

Take a look at the power and see how it describes how it works. It's not making the person think they're blind, it's effecting the actual portions of the brain that control that, which is why the Psi-Sword question came up way back when.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

KillWatch wrote:Magic Spells like Fireball affect physcial SDC so half.
Bio Manipulation? Blind him? Sure. Deafen him? Sure. Feel pain ok (no damage) and I would probably cut his resistance to pain in half since he doesn't normally feel it.

Umm fireball does no damage. No damaging spell does. COA works fine and confusion spells (there is that wisps spell) no problem.
I can see telepathy working. I'm with ya on bio manipulation no damage, no problem. But in my games psi-sword is an energy effect there for it does no damage. The way people were talking i thought they had changed that in one of the books and i missed it.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

waitaminute are yoiu serious?? Fireballs do no damage? Then why would Psi Swords? Magic I could see more of since it bends reality, but Psionics work out with reality it's not supernatural (in my book). I mean what is a Psi Sword? Isn't just a collective and focused gather of kinetic energy? to make razor sharp swords?
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
KillWatch
Champion

Because there were several things that already hurt him but none of it was brute force so that obviously wouldn't do

Secondly Psi Sword focesed Spirit? What the hell is a spell but focused spirit? It's a PSI sword because it is PSIonically created

And again Invulnerability is suppose to do ONE thing, and that ONE thing is being widdled away. There have always been ways around Invulnerability but now people can actually beat the invulnerable guy up

btw if Psi Sword goes through anything that means SDC/MDC aromor then it should also just go straight to HP if it does
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

KillWatch wrote:waitaminute are yoiu serious?? Fireballs do no damage? Then why would Psi Swords? Magic I could see more of since it bends reality, but Psionics work out with reality it's not supernatural (in my book). I mean what is a Psi Sword? Isn't just a collective and focused gather of kinetic energy? to make razor sharp swords?

Let's see...

The character is only, truly, vulnerable to psionics, spell magic, magic illusions and magic weapons, all of which have full effect. Hoever energy type magic, like firebals does no damage.

So they have a qualifier for spell magics but none for magic weapons or psionics I'd say that's a pretty good reason. ;)

Daniel Stoker
KillWatch
Champion

so someone could TK bolt the invulnerable guy to death, or break his arms with tk or neck even. and I didn't see anything in there about SNPS.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

KillWatch wrote:so someone could TK bolt the invulnerable guy to death, or break his arms with tk or neck even.

I'm iffy on that one myself. From the earlier thread I think we decided that Mind Bolt would affect them but TK accelerated attacks wouldn't. Sadly the way TK is written you'd have trouble using it to manipulate that way and it would have to be a GM's call.

and I didn't see anything in there about SNPS.

Neither do I, where was it stated that it could effect them? (Maybe in the power? I'll have to check it when I get home.) But I was going off of what you said effected them now.
KillWatch
Champion

well yes that simple word Supernatural allows you to throw a magical punch all of a sudden
Daniel Stoker
Knight

KillWatch wrote:well yes that simple word Supernatural allows you to throw a magical punch all of a sudden

Ok.. but does the power say it can hurt someone who is invulnerable?

Daniel Stoker
KillWatch
Champion

so energy type magic shouldn't hurt the guy that SHOULD automatically rule out Psi Weapons

Supernatural attacks do half damage

so the guy who can lift a building and beat you with it can't do the job but some schmuck with SNS can hit him and if he can stick and run say with XSpd or something then the Invulnerable guy can fall due to nickel and dime attacks
Someone wanted a way to punch out the invulnerable guy and created theback door SNPS instead of the other simple route of becoming a mage and casting Strength of Utgard Loki on himself and doing it that way with REAL supernatural strength
Daniel Stoker
Knight

KillWatch wrote:so energy type magic shouldn't hurt the guy that SHOULD automatically rule out Psi Weapons

Why? Psionics aren't magic and magic has a very specific qualifer while Psionics doesn't.

Supernatural attacks do half damage

What is that based on? I was finally able to look at the power and it doesn't say that.

Someone wanted a way to punch out the invulnerable guy and created theback door SNPS instead of the other simple route of becoming a mage and casting Strength of Utgard Loki on himself and doing it that way with REAL supernatural strength

Huh? Who are you talking about?

Daniel Stoker
KillWatch
Champion

I view magic as being the universal force. Psionics are just of the mind and subject to given things. When Psionics allows you to transform into a dragon, make something into a sanctuary Iw ill quit playing palladium

Psionics is powerful but it doesn't bend or warp reality such as the reality of impenetrable skin
And if ENERGY can't peirce it such as a magically produced fireball why would Psionic ANYTHING?

P 278 HU 2ed
Left Column Second paragraph of power
Supernatural punches bites and kicks inflict half damage. Extraordinary superhuman PS attacks do no damate though they sting a bit

Paragraph 4
The character is only truly vulnerable to psionics, spell magic illusions and magic weapons, all of which have full effect. However enerty type magic, like ireballs, does no damage.

so either include Psionic type energy or it's complete BS

"Someone" wasn't a specific person just the hoards of players who thought it would be cool to KO the invulnerable. But invulnerability is like that island getaway spot that was like your own personal eden. Everyone wanted a piece of it and now eden is a suburb
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

HU2 page 313, last paragraph of psi-sword:
the psi-sword does full damage against creatures of magic, demons, supernatural beings and creatures or armor that is impervious to normal weapons(this is not a "normal" weapon).

see? i can read too.... :D
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Daniel Stoker
Knight

KillWatch wrote:I view magic as being the universal force. Psionics are just of the mind and subject to given things. When Psionics allows you to transform into a dragon, make something into a sanctuary Iw ill quit playing palladium

Well that's nice and all but that's not how Palladium seems to view it. Psionics and ISP is a refined ability that you get from burning your PPE base.

Psionics is powerful but it doesn't bend or warp reality such as the reality of impenetrable skin
And if ENERGY can't peirce it such as a magically produced fireball why would Psionic ANYTHING?

And psionics can still do stuff that magic can't do... And if you want to see it bend reality take a look at the Phase Adept etc from Phase World.

P 278 HU 2ed
Left Column Second paragraph of power
Supernatural punches bites and kicks inflict half damage. Extraordinary superhuman PS attacks do no damate though they sting a bit

Yup, I missed that when I read it. Good to see though.

Paragraph 4
The character is only truly vulnerable to psionics, spell magic illusions and magic weapons, all of which have full effect. However enerty type magic, like ireballs, does no damage.

so either include Psionic type energy or it's complete BS

"Someone" wasn't a specific person just the hoards of players who thought it would be cool to KO the invulnerable. But invulnerability is like that island getaway spot that was like your own personal eden. Everyone wanted a piece of it and now eden is a suburb

So wait he went specific for one type of power but not another, but that doesn't count for that other power why exactly?

Daniel Stoker
Immortalis
D-Bee

Unread post by Immortalis »

Well, Invulnerability does one thing. Make you amazingly hard to kill, this doesn't mean you are invincible but you do have a weakness. That is, the supernatural.

This means those possesing Supernatural Strength, Magic and Psionics. Magic and Psionics will do full damage with the exception of 'Energy' Based attacks. Meaning Fireballs, Lightning Bolts, Ice Shards, Laser beams, etc. This doesn't mean a purely magical force would be stopped only the common energy types.

As for Psi-Sword, check out this thread viewtopic.php?t=35298&highlight=invulnerability+mdc

As for what it does, Invulnerability makes you immune to diseases, impervious to everything normal people possess as well as most superhumans and a downright monster if you don't have a way to restrain the invulnerable character or possess supernatural abilities.

The Coalition... what can they do? Hope that they can get some of their very few psionic characters to stop you?

On the other hand if you try to take on the Federation of Magic, you'll be in for some great fun.
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

I have no problem with a character taking a power that negates the drawbacks of another power. The player is using a power selection for this purpose (thus giving up something else), its not like he/she is getting it for free.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”