magic item - bracers

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

magic item - bracers

Unread post by shiiv-a »

now these bracers are already made ... and been in play with this one character ... and were constructed while IN a game/campaign. thus they are 'legally' admitable.

BRACERS
Specialty item - 20 million - keyed to her - limited use IF you don't know what it is you're doing.
One set of gem encrusted silver metal war bracers that cover and protect the forearms of Mal. Stone size MUST be 5 carats. Diamond, Emerald are the first choice, otherwise any other type of gem that is 5 carats in size will make due.
The LEFT bracer is the one of 'reflection'. The gemstone [1 - 20] will burn out the 'reflection' spell and go to powder. The spell is sent, back to the caster, with love.
The RIGHT bracer also has room for 20 5 carat gemstones. each gemstone has the ability to 'capture' the spell aimed at her. dong half damage to her and half to the caster himself
[value 20 million]
Unuseable by any other, as its been 'attuned' to her, due to HER gaining the spell 'enchant object'. Mal has been able to continue her supply of spell gemstones when she's down to her last 3 on each bracer. She will NOT inform anyone HOW to make similar bracers. She went thru the trouble of contacting the mage guild in a city of mages, and paid the most for the spell.
Bonus to save versus magical damage is a base of 7 [[+7 [bracer] total =14 > scarey huh?]]
Continues to cost Mal over 5 million creds a year to keep the required gemstones in ready to use baggies in small pockets that line the cloak itself
==========================================
Mal`Atria is the character's name ... and thats what it is and how its made. she 'cheated when they were first constructed, by being in attendance, but she was spending 20 million ofher own credits at the time.

-----------------------

opinions? ... *smirks and gets ready to forget some responses* .. gotta hate having an imagination at times .. dontcha? ... the festerings of the 'you can't' sour the belly and thoughts until we work our wayabout the issues .. like me ..

:P
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Limitations are laudable...So this thing eats gemstones like an SUV eats gasoline..Still, depending on what the wearer is doing, such a cost would be worth it for the +14 versus magic(on top of what PE bonuses there might be, I take it?)...Useful for somebody hunting mages and supernatural predators, but doesn't shield you from being slammed in the head by purely physical means....

Not sure I'd wanna spend my retirement cache of gemstones fueling these buggers, but if I figured I wasn't going to live long enough to make more money otherwise...and there wasn't something else like a set of Avenger power armor I'd rather spend the 20 mil buying...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

2 positive posts? ... i'm on a roll? ... cool

anyways .. at the time, THAT set of bracers was the answer to a bigger issue of sploggie beasties shooting magic things at her .. so when they fired and then got hit bythe damage ... they didn't realize right away what was causing it .. but thats still cool ...

guess i'm gonna have to post the spells that do these then?

one drawback .. would be .. say a 11th level spell-chucker casting a 'called lightning .. which NEVER misses ... and then THEY get zapped by it. ... nasty ... well .. side effect it wont accept a higher level casting of a spell. if the bracer catches a .. 3rd 'call lightning' .. and then later sends another back at the caster from 11th level damage .. the bracers only allow the3rdlevel damage ...

dang ... but luckily now ... she isn't needing that too often, thebracers now .. they still bonded to her, but she's employed to a house as a bodyguard now .. and not adventuring anymore .. sadly. she was a riot when in a game.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

GREAT idea :ok: :)

the only thing I would give advice for is a kind of save vs. magic for the spell, the same kind you get when someone casts Negate Magic, to keep things balanced and fair.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

kinda defeats the purpose of hte bracers then ...

oh well .. guess you had to be in the original game they were designed for.
after all .. people dont get a save against 'call lightning' .. that is one spell that hits automatically. this shows to the casual observer A casting at B [bracer wearer] .. the lightning falls out of the sky and everyone assumes that A [a mage type at random be it pc or npc] .. did the damage and nothing is thought about it .. B sees the lightining coming, raises the bracer and is enveloped with a glow and then its is sent back to the sky and then arcs to the caster ... and hitsA for the damage that B should have taken

THAT is the purpose of these bracers .. self preservation in a world of rifts with magics you dont understand flying at you from a bunch of different directions

nuff said

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”